Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pelo

slacko 5.5 plus LXDE plus FLWM !

#621 Post by Pelo »

I have just installed Fluppy 013 sfs ( load Sfs on the fly) on his back.
Exit to prompt, then xwin startflwm and an old distro is happy to drive a brand new computer.

As a matter of fact, i Have a Pupsave file with the original version of LXPUP.

A distro signed Jejy is a gage of quality,

Only a bug found, in Rox-filer, files are identified with an icon 'danger'
Can you see that ? ok JJ ?

Pelo

Connexion en Wifi driver wl (iwlwifi wext)

#622 Post by Pelo »

Se connecter en Wifi
La LXPUP se connecte très bien en Wifi publique, mais le pilote wl ne suporte pas le cryptage. Pas grave. Il faut corriger les icônes des dossiers dans ROX-Filer.
Très bon travail, Jejy69, et tu est installé dans beaucoup de foyers.
Le public est seul juge et t'as plébiscité : que de téléchargement de cette LXPUP ! Bravo le jeune !

LXPUP is very well connected in public Wifi, but the encryption is not supported by the driver wl. Not a disaster.
It is necessary to correct the icons of files in ROX-Filer.

Very good job, Jejy69, and your LXPUP is installed in many homes.
The public is judge and approves by a large majority : What a lot of downloading of this LXPUP! Bravo young person!

Jejy69

#623 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello,

Beta 2 ready, ISO size reduced, see the first page please :).
I must go, I'll answer you in some hours.

Cheers !
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

mistfire

#624 Post by mistfire »

Although you remove firefox in lxpup, what is the alternative browser included in new lxpup version? or we should be download the browser first before we surf the web?

Its good that you trim some applications in order to reduce the ISO size. Keep up the good work to make it more smaller and more compact.

natgab

#625 Post by natgab »

Hi Jerome!

Cool non-PAE version! Now I can test on my laptop. When I installed, on boot the screen was 800x600 (usuallly it finds the 1024x768) but the main error was that it showed the screen divided in half. Bottom half was black and the task bar was in the middle of the screen.

Pidgin 2.10.6 does not install complete yet through Gslapt. It says it needs the SSL library. I loaded the GIMP SFS without problems. WIFI worked perfect.

Firefox 19 installed using Puppy Pkg Manager, didn't work through Gslapt. I had tried installing FF20 and then also tried FF17 but couldn't get it to install with Gslapt.

EDIT:
Tried installing VLC 2.0.4 with Gslapt, would not work. Removed with Gslapt. Afterwards, Gnome player would not work. I think the upgraded video codecs did not uninstall?
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

xstylezx

#626 Post by xstylezx »

Beta 2.1 still has driver issues. Needs zd1211rw wireless drivers. Beta 1 has the drivers and works just fine.

Since the new kernel update puppy package manager doesnt have a correct nvidia driver for me to download now. Also, what about devx and kernel sources?

Oh, another note is the message that pops up when connecting to wifi or saving ram to disk seems to bounce all over the place instead of popping up in bottom right corner every time, or maybe top center every time.

My last note is I'd love to get my video thumbnails going in these 13.04 versions, are there specific packages from gslapt I can install to get that going, or if not can you point me to the right packages to get the thumbnails in pcmanfm like you had in 13.01 full? Thanks so much!

Jejy69

#627 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello, :-)
Although you remove firefox in lxpup, what is the alternative browser included in new lxpup version? or we should be download the browser first before we surf the web?

Its good that you trim some applications in order to reduce the ISO size. Keep up the good work to make it more smaller and more compact.
No alternative, just choose your favorite browser.
I'll try to reduce again the size, do you have some tips please ? :)
Thanks,
Hi Jerome!

Cool non-PAE version! Now I can test on my laptop. When I installed, on boot the screen was 800x600 (usuallly it finds the 1024x768) but the main error was that it showed the screen divided in half. Bottom half was black and the task bar was in the middle of the screen.

Pidgin 2.10.6 does not install complete yet through Gslapt. It says it needs the SSL library. I loaded the GIMP SFS without problems. WIFI worked perfect.

Firefox 19 installed using Puppy Pkg Manager, didn't work through Gslapt. I had tried installing FF20 and then also tried FF17 but couldn't get it to install with Gslapt.

EDIT:
Tried installing VLC 2.0.4 with Gslapt, would not work. Removed with Gslapt. Afterwards, Gnome player would not work. I think the upgraded video codecs did not uninstall?
I changed again the kernel ( 3.8.5 no PAE :wink: , made by 01Micko ), in the beta 3, could you say me if it works correctly ? if it does not improve, I will come back to the first kernel.
Pidgin issue: It's because the dependencies list is not created. But, take a look again, I made a pidgin package with right deps ( pidgin-2.10.7-i486-1pup.txz ).
I don't understand your Firefox issue. In fact, I didn't found Firefox 19 package ? Just a tip: With Slackware, it's not 'Firefox', but 'mozilla-firefox'. Type this, and you'll find good packages. :)
VLC ? Yes, it doesn't start with 'root' account, but it works.
I'll create a little post to show you how to start vlc. It's easy, the manipulation takes 2 minutes only.
Beta 2.1 still has driver issues. Needs zd1211rw wireless drivers. Beta 1 has the drivers and works just fine.

Since the new kernel update puppy package manager doesnt have a correct nvidia driver for me to download now. Also, what about devx and kernel sources?

Oh, another note is the message that pops up when connecting to wifi or saving ram to disk seems to bounce all over the place instead of popping up in bottom right corner every time, or maybe top center every time.

My last note is I'd love to get my video thumbnails going in these 13.04 versions, are there specific packages from gslapt I can install to get that going, or if not can you point me to the right packages to get the thumbnails in pcmanfm like you had in 13.01 full? Thanks so much!
Could you try beta 3 please to check firmware issue ? Just in case, I create a package for this firmware. I'll take a look for video drivers too.
I'm not effective at all because drivers, kernel, compiling drivers .... All that is new to me, but I learn a lot with this.
About Thumbnails ? I'll list the 'ingredients' needed to achieve this result.
Thank you all for your patience. :D

Jejy69

#628 Post by Jejy69 »

xstylezx

#629 Post by xstylezx »

Beta 3 still isn't connecting wifi for me. Missing the zd1211rw drivers still. Beta 1 and all of your previous lxpup releases have had the driver.lol I have the folder with the drivers saved from a previous release of yours so i can modprobe them and get online that way, it's just not ideal.

Thanks for ingredients on video thumbnails, sounds delicious! :lol:

Also thanks for Lxpup 13.04, i love glsapt being included!

Jejy69

#630 Post by Jejy69 »

Damn ... Thank you for your quick response.
Do you think if I add the firmware directly to the ISO it will work out of the box ?
i love glsapt being included!
Wow thank you, I was afraid to bring the wrath of the forum ... :lol:

xstylezx

#631 Post by xstylezx »

Jejy69, what I do is add the zd1211 folder from your older lxpup versions into lib/firmware. It can be found in all your older lxpup versions and should be in beta 1 also. I just retrieved "zd1211" from "lib/firmware" on a release of lxpup that does connect to wifi and dropped it into the "lib/firmware" folder. Then i just add a "modprobe zd1211rw" into xinitrc file or anywhere to would issue the "modprobe zd1211rw" command on startup. Then it loads the firmware up and allows frisbee to connect for me.

I personally liked the first kernel you used in beta 1 better. I could load up puppy package manager and grab my nvidia driver with that kernel. Now the nvidia drivers in ppm dont match up with new kernels your using. Im sure thats not hard to work around either way. Dont forget about video thumbnails for me in pcmanfm. Its driving me crazy trying to get them to work in pcmanfm! :shock:

Jejy69

#632 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello xstylezx :)

Thanks for your tip, zd.... firmware will be added next time. Don't worry about drivers, I will try to compile them. :)

About the thumbnails, they works thanks to totem.
Luckily I compiled totem, and all its dependencies, you just have to install it. I tried and it works, I have thumbnails icons.

To install Totem + Deps, open a terminal and paste :

Code: Select all

slapt-get --install totem totem-pl-parser gst-libav gst-plugins-bad1 gst-plugins-bad1-extra gst-plugins-base1 gst-plugins-good1 gst-plugins-ugly1 gst-plugins-ugly1-extra gstreamer1 clutter clutter-gst clutter-gtk cogl json-glib libsoup gmime gobject-introspection at-spi2-atk at-spi2-core gtk+3 libpeas libarchive lua libquvi gsettings-desktop-schemas

peebee

#633 Post by peebee »

Hi Jejy69

I regret to report that LxPup 13.04 Beta3 does not support Broadcom wifi as issued.

The wl driver for the new kernel is not present at all. The driver made for ThinSlacko - here - works

The firmware for the b43 driver is present but is not in the right place to be found and any mechanism that should be installing it to the right location seems to have stopped working. dmesg says:
[ 36.457382] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found (core revision 13)
[ 36.510033] b43-phy0: Found PHY: Analog 4, Type 2 (G), Revision 9
[ 36.530148] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PMNLS ]
[ 36.636476] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode13.fw" not found
[ 36.636480] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode13.fw" not found
If you manually copy the firmware from /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43/lib/firmware to /lib/firmware then the b43 driver works after a reboot.

Also, in pcmanfm, the Desktop applications under the Applications bookmark never open.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#634 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

Thanks Peebee !
I think it's fixed in the latest ISO.
I downgraded menu-cache ( applications menu issue ), since the 0.4.1 causes a crash, with glib : "double linked"...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... o/download

Cheers !

xstylezx

#635 Post by xstylezx »

Jejy69, I meant to get back to you sooner. I issued the command in terminal for totem, I got a couple of error messages during completion that I didn't really have time to spend a lot of time on. Hopefully you will include thumbs in a final :D

Going to try the beta 4 and see how it works for me. The beta 1 kernel so far has been the only one to work consistently on my computer and graphics card. I'm at 2gb ram, and pae works better so far on lxpup... :?

R-S-H

#636 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

Within the last weeks I did mostly do some work to get some main features from my LazY Puppy to work in other puppies. Therfor I did create my VSP-LazY-Puppy-Builder, which is a script that installs some PET files, runs some Scripts to modify some files and gives me just a few steps to do, to create a new puppy derivative, that gives about 75 to 95 percent of LazY Puppy's comfort to me - by using then a different puppy! :D

By now I did create a VSP Puppy from Three Headed Dog and also a LazY MacPup - just for example (there are some more like based on Precise etc.).

But, today has been a very special day!

Today I did download the LxPup 13.01 and turned it into LazY LxPup 13.02 whithin a few hours. It seems to run very good on my computer and it looks very nice (now). :wink:

Thanks for this nice LxPup 13.01!

RSH
Attachments
LazYLxP1302.jpg
LazY LXP 13.02 running LP2_Gimp2612.sfs by SFS P.L.U.S. RunScript
(74.66 KiB) Downloaded 1139 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

Jejy69

#637 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi !

Maybe, this is the latest beta.
I am quite optimistic about this release.

#########################
-Appearance
-Menu
-GTK +2 updated
-Menu Bug fixed
-Firmware Issue fixed
-Control Center
-Some applications removed
-Many Bugs fixed too.
I meant to get back to you sooner. I issued the command in terminal for totem, I got a couple of error messages during completion that I didn't really have time to spend a lot of time on. Hopefully you will include thumbs in a final
Strange? Try with the latest ISO.
I just tried, and I have no problem. If you still have problems, can you tell me which are they?
Attachments
capture17429.jpg
(7.74 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times
capture15345.png
(72.04 KiB) Downloaded 1083 times
capture11987.jpg
(54.76 KiB) Downloaded 1064 times

Jejy69

#638 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello RSH, :)

You intrigue me a lot, I'll try this software I absolutely do not know.
Please, what is the link to this software?

Have a nice day !

natgab

#639 Post by natgab »

Is beta5 a PAE only ISO? I'm still using the non-PAE beta2 on my laptop.

Jejy69 wrote:Hi !

Maybe, this is the latest beta.
I am quite optimistic about this release.

-Appearance
-Menu
-GTK +2 updated
-Menu Bug fixed
-Firmware Issue fixed
-Control Center
-Some applications removed
-Many Bugs fixed too.
I meant to get back to you sooner. I issued the command in terminal for totem, I got a couple of error messages during completion that I didn't really have time to spend a lot of time on. Hopefully you will include thumbs in a final
Strange? Try with the latest ISO.
I just tried, and I have no problem. If you still have problems, can you tell me which are they?
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

Jejy69

#640 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Natgab !

No problem, I kept the kernel without PAE. :wink:
What a coincidence, I finished watching Kiki anime today. :lol: