LxPup-by-SFS (LXDE)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
peebee

LxPup-by-SFS (LXDE)

#1 Post by peebee »

LATEST VERSIONS UPLOADED 28-apr-14:

All the latest SFSs & Setup Pets for all flavours are available from SourceForge

This SFS version of LxPup is based on the very excellent work by Jejy69 which he shared at:
LXDE packages, lastest versions.
and his LxPup13.01 ISO - as described at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79810
Significant changes include: lxpanelx replaces lxpanel; gvfs and pcmanfm are updated versions

Another essential "Puppy-developed component" is the Pup-Volume-Monitor developed by akash_rawal

All testing has been done on pristine frugal installs of the base Puppies - I strongly recommend that you test on a similar system as I don't offer any warranty - use at your own risk ;-) - please post any feedback.

So the steps to install are:
  • 1. Boot a pristine frugal install of the base Puppy
    2. Copy the correct SFS for your puppy into a location where it can be loaded
    3. Use SFS-Load-On-The-Fly to install the SFS (Do not run any of the components)
    4. Install the correct lxpupsetup PET to match the SFS
    5. Click the button to activate LxPup-by-SFS
    6. Reboot and create a savefile
If you want to return to JWM/Rox then use the Puppy Package Manager to unload the pet then deactivate LxPup-by-SFS when prompted.

pcmanfm supports symbolic link creation but it's not very obvious - use shift / ctrl / drag & drop - if this is too hard to remember you can also use rox from the Filesystem menu.

Access to remote filesystems using FTP is all built-in. For Samba shares I rely on the components built-into Slacko but they are arguably better integrated (e.g. you can bookmark the share) - use YASSM Search to find the share and remember it and YASSM Login to re-establish the share when needed but use pcmanfm to access and unmount the share.

Click on the network tray icon to establish a wifi connection.

For reference, the latest SFSs contain the following components (it is entirely possible that some of these may not actually be needed):
elementary_icons + box_icons (these contribute quite a proportion of the overall sfs size).
gvfs-1.12.3
libgnome-keyring-3.4.1
lxde4lxpup-2
Lxde-common-0.5.5
lxde-puppy-menu (but PupShutDown removed)
lxmenu-data-0.1.2
lxpanelx-0.6.0
lxsession-0.4.6.1 / 0.4.9.2 *
lxshortcut-0.1.2
lxtask-1.4
lxterminal-1.11
lxlauncher-0.2.2
lxrandr-0.1.2
openbox-3.5.2
obconf-2.0.4
pcmanfm-1.1.2
polkit-0.105
polkit-gnome-0.102
pup-volume-monitor-0.1.15
* depending on version

N.B. do not try to upgrade the base Puppy to a later version without reverting to JWM and uninstalling both pet and sfs first!!

Add some extra bling by adding Compiz to LxPup-by-SFS - for Slacko version ONLY

Have fun
Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Wed 08 Jan 2020, 09:08, edited 74 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

New version

#2 Post by peebee »

An updated version has been uploaded - see post #1

Just has a few minor changes - no major difference of functionality.

BUT - it does also convert

Upup Precise 3.8.3.1 by Pemasu

into another version of LxPup.

see below for the Precise 5.6 version

and further down still for the Upup Raring 3.8.7 version

Cheers
PeeBee
Last edited by peebee on Tue 28 May 2013, 19:04, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Pelo

Nice Release (and very light SFS)

#3 Post by Pelo »

Very nice job again. some slowness perhaps.
Based on Slacko 5.5 safe choice
Connexion wifi : ok
You tube : no need to install flasplayer : image, sound ok
Gslapt : why not ? Gslapt gives more info about packages
PPM : Slackware products, yes, well.
PCManFM: not a good choice in my opinion. I would prefer emelFM. Perhaps i dont know it enough to appreciate.
Save : ok

All what i need is here. apparently no bug, what is becoming rare nowadays.

I shall now try to install LXDE on my remasterized Slacko 5.5.. to see what happens.

peebee

ThinSlacko

#4 Post by peebee »

ThinSlacko5.5.01 ONLY has a missing library and therefore needs the A.5.5.3-SFS plus the attached augmented pet which includes this missing library.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lxpupsetup-1.3-ts.pet
Special augmented pet for ThinSlacko 5.5.01 ONLY
(26.51 KiB) Downloaded 1832 times
Last edited by peebee on Fri 10 May 2013, 16:54, edited 7 times in total.

peebee

LxPup by SFS for Precise 5.5

#5 Post by peebee »

[EDIT]6-apr-13 new version uploaded[/edit]

To transform Precise 5.5 into LxPup-by-SFS-5.5 download the B-SFS to be found at the following link:

md5: cfdbdf6bd1c445fcf3f2fc526902c54a lxpup-by-sfs_B.5.5.2.sfs 11.8MB ... plus this pet 1.3MB

Install as described in post #1

The pet is bigger for this version (too big to be an attachment) as I found I needed to install some libraries that way to make it work.

The B-SFS uploaded 6-apr-13 includes the latest pcmanfm-1.1.0 and also pup-volume-monitor-0.1.11

Cheers
PeeBee
Attachments
capture18397.png
(177.28 KiB) Downloaded 20548 times
Last edited by peebee on Sun 14 Apr 2013, 17:41, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#6 Post by playdayz »

Worked like a champ peebee in Slacko 5.5. I will try it in Upup. I think it would be good if Upup used LXDE, that would provide something new and some distinction from Slacko, but I doubt that its likely. Thanks much.

Reasons for LXDE (primarily for appeal to new Puppy users):
More modern look and feel
Easier for user to customize
Working Recycle/Trash system
Graphic application menu in pcmanfm

peebee

#7 Post by peebee »

playdayz wrote:Worked like a champ peebee in Slacko 5.5. I will try it in Upup. I think it would be good if Upup used LXDE, that would provide something new and some distinction from Slacko, but I doubt that its likely. Thanks much.

Reasons for LXDE (primarily for appeal to new Puppy users):
More modern look and feel
Easier for user to customize
Working Recycle/Trash system
Graphic application menu in pcmanfm
Hi Larry

Thanks for the report, your views mean a lot - I agree with all your comments and would add:

- Much improved integration with remote filesystems

I've been using the Slacko version pretty continuously since I made it and haven't stumbled over any show-stopper problems.

As I say in post #1 - it was inspired by Jerome's pioneering work and I could never have achieved anything without following his example.

Cheers
Peter

peebee

Version A.5.5.2 with pup-volume-monitor 0.1.11

#8 Post by peebee »

Version A.5.5.2 of the SFS for Slacko and Upup-Precise is now available in post #1 - the only difference in this version is the 0.1.11 version of pup-volume-monitor is included.

peebee

New version A.5.5.3

#9 Post by peebee »

UPDATED 28-jul-2013

pet version 1.4-s has better menu management

UPDATED 13-jun-2013

New version for
Slacko 5.5 (normal or Thin from 5.5.03 or Phat versions) + Slacko 5.6beta

or

Upup Precise 3.8.3

md5: 9cea116870657e792c1999259d1ae10b lxpup-by-sfs_A.5.5.3.sfs - 11.5MB

Load the SFS + the PET and follow the steps in post #1

Main change is version 0.1.14 of Pup-Volume-Monitor

Cheers
PeeBee
Attachments
lxpupsetup-1.4-s.pet
Updated pet 28-jul-2013
(18.4 KiB) Downloaded 1657 times
lxpupsetup-1.3.pet
PET for version A.5.5.3
(11 KiB) Downloaded 1813 times
Last edited by peebee on Thu 08 Aug 2013, 20:04, edited 17 times in total.

peebee

#10 Post by peebee »

My apologies to the first person who downloaded the pet above - if they downloaded the sfs as well, hopefully they worked out it was the wrong link - now corrected.

peebee

Version for Precise Puppy 5.7

#11 Post by peebee »

UPDATED 28-jul-2013 - pet updated for Precise 5.7 to version 1.4-u with better menu management

To transform Precise 5.7.1

into LxPup-by-SFS-5.5 download the B-SFS to be found at the following link:

md5: cea7122aac9ea89615b221dd7b759f4d lxpup-by-sfs_B.5.5.3.sfs - 11.8MB ... plus this lxpupsetup-1.4-u.pet 0.6MB

Install as described in post #1

The -u pet is bigger (too big to be an attachment) as I found I needed to install some libraries that way to make it work.

Cheers
PeeBee

13-jun-13 update= new versions of lxsession and pup-volume-monitor

29-jun-13 update= added PupControl to B sfs and included it in the panel for easy access

28-jul-13 update=new pet version for better menu management
Last edited by peebee on Sat 03 Aug 2013, 06:16, edited 16 times in total.

peebee

#12 Post by peebee »

superceded by post lower down
Last edited by peebee on Sat 04 May 2013, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

Re: Version for Precise Puppy and Upup Raring

#13 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote: LxPup-by-SFS-5.5 download the B-SFS to be found at the following link:

md5: f34653bddd2f6c8636e8c4f9762d09a4 lxpup-by-sfs_B.5.5.3.sfs - 11.8MB ... plus this lxpupsetup-1.3-u.pet 0.6MB
Works OK.
I was just wondering if there is any reason for all the folders in the SFS to have 777 permissions.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

Version for Upup-Raring 3.9.9

#14 Post by peebee »

UPDATED 28-jul-2013

pet version 1.5r has better menu management

UPDATED 13-jun-2013

05-jul-13 - Also works for Upup-Raring 3.9.9.1

Pemasu has announced a new version of Upup-Raring 3.8.7.

This new version has pup-volume-monitor 0.1.13 built-in.

To add LxPup-by-SFS to this new version use this sfs:

md5: f19fdc564341bc66cba130eba5fc16e6 lxpup-by-sfs_R.5.5.4.sfs 12.2MB

plus the LxPupSetup-1.5.r pet attached to this post.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lxpupsetup-1.5-r.pet
version 1.5-r pet 28-jul-2013
(91.25 KiB) Downloaded 1702 times
lxpupsetup-1.4-r.pet
LxPupuSetup pet for use with R.5.5.4 sfs
(88.12 KiB) Downloaded 1801 times
Last edited by peebee on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 12:54, edited 19 times in total.

peebee

Re: Version for Precise Puppy and Upup Raring

#15 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:Works OK.
I was just wondering if there is any reason for all the folders in the SFS to have 777 permissions.
Not intentional - suspect its a side effect of my laptop having an NTFS formatted hard disk (I think).....not sure how I can change.

01micko

#16 Post by 01micko »

peebee, firstly, your sfs works. Thanks for that, tested with PHATSlacko.

Now, for a bit of constructive criticism and a suggested remedy.

I think you know my feelings toward NTFS and mixing it with Linux in general.

Having the 777 permissions could be bad for a number of reasons I won't go into. You are absolutely right pointing the finger at NTFS. It should be called "OTFS". :wink: . It has never respected Linux permissions.

You'll be happy to know there is a simple work around. It's like creating a "dummy" save file except any install of Linux can access it.

Here is a rough "howto" to create one.

1. Mount your NTFS partition (defragged already of course) and change directory into it. I wouldn't use a windows system partition but you can if you want, at own risk.

2. Now you can make a file to house our Linux filesystem.

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=linux.ext4 bs=1024 count=524288
This produces a file of 512M named linux.ext4 on your NTFS partition. Multiples of 131072
(128M) are probably good, seeing as though we are building largish sfs files and you do need a bit of clearance.

3. Make the filesystem.

mkfs.ext4 -q -m 0 -F linux.ext4
That makes an ext4 filesystem but you could make ext2, 3, whatever you want.

4. Mount it.

mkdir -p /mnt/linuxfs
mount linux.ext4 /mnt/linuxfs -o loop
.. or just click it in rox. (Correction: You would need the name to end in "4fs" to click in rox, you can do that if you wish)

You can do whatever you like in there.. compile, package, you name it. As a warning, don't be tempted to resize it, bad idea when the NTFS filesystem becomes fragmented. No guarantee that a defrag would help either.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

simes

LxPup SFS

#17 Post by simes »

Just wanted to add my thanks to Peter. I have loaded the SFS in Slacko 5.5. This was an existing system which already had a few packages installed, so a save file existed to begin with. No matter, everything installed without problems and so far has been rock solid. I am familiar with Puppy and like the way the existing Puppy menu structure and icons have been integrated into LXDE. There's nothing wrong with ROX/JWM and they have a reassuring feel which comes from years of familiarity, but I have become aware when using Puppy alongside other people who have (e.g) Windows 7/Vista or for that matter Ubuntu/Mint, that the look of the desktop is dated and for this reason LXDE is a real 'nice to have'. I am very confident defending my use of Puppy on a production machine, even in an office environment (and my machine is modern enough to run Windows 7 when I want to) but I prefer not to have to defend an old-fashioned desktop appearance when the real reasons to use Puppy are nothing to do with that!

peebee

#18 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:peebee, firstly, your sfs works. Thanks for that, tested with PHATSlacko.

Now, for a bit of constructive criticism and a suggested remedy.
Hi Mick

Many thanks for both the feedback and advice.

I have bitten the bullet and reformatted my hard disk to ext4 and deleted all traces of Windows at the same time.

What should I do now to reset the file permissions changed by NTFS? Is there even any simple way to do such a thing??

Cheers
peebee

`f00

#19 Post by `f00 »

Works decently in slacko 5.5-4g (at least with openbox to sit on). The lovely lxpanel menu plugin (with comments as popups for dotdesktop items!) may need a bit of tweaking for my needs (specifically to have my 'usual' top-tier category icons in other wms besides openbox). Also modify a few subcats although the shell, texteditor and multimedia(2) work nicely for me. Nothing "missing" from the lxpanel menu, as far as mine goes - it's very good about updating itself ;)

A few things reverted from my non-pristine (maybe 1/2 dozen dotdesktops and my modified .xinitrc that makes rox pinboard on-demand only). Likely openbox tweaks as well to get back a functional r-click openbox rootmenu and etc. Gonna have to fix the font size in pcmanfm (using 'new standard' 96dpi rather than the old standard 78 ), but otherwise that fm seems a bit quicker and more stable than previous incarnation.

Good Work, peebee (and Jejy69 for the initial base) :)
"simple way to do such a thing??" - dunno, my simple is to simply drudge through stuff :oops:

starhawk

#20 Post by starhawk »

Installed on Upup Precise (IIRC it's 3831 -- the iso claims to be 382 tho). Very nice... but with one small issue.

I gotta have the drive icons, and I don't see a way to enable them (or any other icons, for that matter...). Going through Pmount every time I plug in a flash drive is going to get very old very quickly ;)

Also: I assume I can load the lxpup SFS at bootup through BootManager with no ill effects?