Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 30 Oct 2014, 11:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
A walk-through guide to installing Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
RobertHardy

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:49    Post_subject:  A walk-through guide to installing Puppy
Sub_title: A guide on setting up Puppy and compiling some software.

I wrote a guide to installing Puppy 4.3.1, showing how to get a system set up where you can start experimenting with programming in C and Python.

Even if you plan to use a newer version of Puppy, I would suggest following this guide first. Once you are confident with all the steps it will be easier to go ahead and do the same process for a newer version of Puppy.

http://fermatslastspreadsheet.com/2012/11/24/a-walkthrough-guide-to-building-yourself-a-linux-system-for-coding/

There are lots of pictures and every step has been carefully written to cover all the details. Also there are lots of links there to other sites which have interesting pieces of documentation or software.

Hopefully it will be helpful to beginners.

Edited_times_total
darkcity

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 17:56    Post_subject:  

Very nice guide, any reason you choose Puppy 4.3.1 ?

Twisted Evil

RobertHardy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 09:30    Post_subject:  

I wanted to have the walk-through based on a good-quality but non-changing distribution, so that we minimize the possibility that the reader's experience is different from the steps in the walk-through.

Puppy 4.3.1 is suggested as a popular version on the download page of puppylinux.org, so it seemed to be the obvious choice.

Glad you enjoyed it! It was quite a bit of work to double-double check all the steps!
ChulkChes

PostPosted: Wed 01 May 2013, 16:49    Post_subject: Puppy Linux with C compiler and Java compiler  

Great tutorial. I do appreciate the work you put into this. Its never easy to explain things in writing.

But of course I need a bit more advice. I actually installed Puppy Linux on a PC(that had/has WindowsXP). It all installed ok.

What I need to do is install a C compiler and a Java compiler in Puppy Linux.

You explained about the gcc compiler install...the devx_431.sfs file.

To install this, can I just copy that file into the /mnt/home folder, then as you described, load the BootManager, select the devx file and reboot?

Can you or anyone point me to where I can install a java compiler be able to run my java applications? With Windows, I compile using the command 'javac Test.java' and to run the compiled program I run 'java Test'. I also display what I call a graphic based java application with the command 'appletvivewer Test.html'. Any info on this would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks again.
666philb

PostPosted: Thu 02 May 2013, 15:47    Post_subject:  

hi ChulkChes, welcome to the forums,

there's a java jdk here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62939

ps852

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan 2014, 16:45    Post_subject: Re: Puppy Linux with C compiler and Java compiler  

ChulkChes wrote:
Great tutorial. I do appreciate the work you put into this. Its never easy to explain things in writing.

But of course I need a bit more advice. I actually installed Puppy Linux on a PC(that had/has WindowsXP). It all installed ok.

What I need to do is install a C compiler and a Java compiler in Puppy Linux.

You explained about the gcc compiler install...the devx_431.sfs file.

To install this, can I just copy that file into the /mnt/home folder, then as you described, load the BootManager, select the devx file and reboot?

Can you or anyone point me to where I can install a java compiler be able to run my java applications? With Windows, I compile using the command 'javac Test.java' and to run the compiled program I run 'java Test'. I also display what I call a graphic based java application with the command 'appletvivewer Test.html'. Any info on this would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks again.

I have the same question, so you can copy, load BootManager, and reboot? I've tried but that process doesn't seem to work for me.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum