Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 03:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 46 of 94 [1407 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, ..., 92, 93, 94 Next
don570

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2013, 13:58    Post subject: shinobar samba packages  

In puppy linux the configuration file isn't located in
/usr/lib/smb.conf so the message is correct!!!! Don't blame the
messager Laughing

testparm is part of the samba package so you've installed a samba
package.

(By the way it's been several years since I used samba and it
was to connect linux to an old mac computer)

I would check the 2 samba pet packages that Jemimah stored

HERE

I assume it's the same as in the carolina repository??

In desperation I would install a shinobar samba package since he
is a real expert in windows computers.

Shinobar wrote about samba --->
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60836

He made them for Wary and Lucid puppy though.
Carolina lacks some dependencies which makes it difficult
to install some apps.

Also there is samba-tng
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60204

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr 2013, 05:38    Post subject: Re: shinobar samba packages  

don570 wrote:
In puppy linux the configuration file isn't located in
/usr/lib/smb.conf so the message is correct!!!! Don't blame the
messager Laughing

testparm is part of the samba package so you've installed a samba
package.

(By the way it's been several years since I used samba and it
was to connect linux to an old mac computer)

I would check the 2 samba pet packages that Jemimah stored

HERE

I assume it's the same as in the carolina repository??

In desperation I would install a shinobar samba package since he
is a real expert in windows computers.

Shinobar wrote about samba --->
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60836

He made them for Wary and Lucid puppy though.
Carolina lacks some dependencies which makes it difficult
to install some apps.

Also there is samba-tng
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60204

I already checked these links before, I can install and configure SAMBA in lucid/slako and other puppies but I was searching to do that in carolina too. I already sent a message to gcmatin and will sent to rcrsn51 too.
I am sure he will have the solution.
Anyhow thnx for the replies and I will post the result as and when I solved that.
Regards
UMAIR
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr 2013, 08:23    Post subject:  

I tested the Samba-TNG server in Carolina and it worked fine. It took about 30 seconds to set up.
umair

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr 2013, 14:03    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
I tested the Samba-TNG server in Carolina and it worked fine. It took about 30 seconds to set up.

@ rcrsn51:
I will try samba-tng on carolina. If I faced any problem thn will ask you.
thnx
UMAIR
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 27 Apr 2013, 13:15    Post subject: Elroy
Subject description: SAMBA in Carolina

@umair. Are you still having SAMBA issues?
elroy

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2013, 01:41    Post subject: exit  

I've decided to make an exit, much like jemimah chose to do, but I felt the need to at least "man-up" and explain my rational....
I've decided to remove myself from the Puppy Linux community at present . Both as a user and as a developer. I've thrown my hat in with Linux Mint as a full install (I'm using the Mate desktop, which is based on Gnome-2, and the newly released Debian Mint version as opposed to Mint's default Ubuntu release; I've chosen to use a USB rescue system that leverages Knoppix due to the fact that it also uses Debian as its base. And I've also remastered this to create a live DVD Knoppix version for secure banking purposes. For myself, persistent storage and banking shouldn't co-exist). It could be argued that Puppy-Precise could fill my need, but I've thrown my hat in with the current Linux norms, which include the systemd package and dependencies; I'm a firm believer in conventionality. While kmod is replacing module-init-tools in Puppy, and that's a good thing, the changes to Puppy are too slow for my personal preference. It may be that down the road I will have to revisit my decision due to changes made by Barry to the “official” Puppy packages and revisit Puppy, but at present they're too specialized and backward-looking for my tastes. And that's no knock on Barry – he's trying to maintain a distro that runs well on older hardware, and for that he should be commended. It's just that in my stage of my Linux journey, it isn't compatible with where I'm currently at or looking towards.
And as for myself, to be totally honest, I've never been a fan of JWM, or Rox, nor do I have the need to run on older hardware. Yes, JWM/Rox certainly are lightweight; but for me, they aren't very usable for a modern every day Linux distro. And most certainly they're not intuitive for those that wish to migrate from a MS-Windows environment. Hardcore Puppy veterans may not understand that logic; they've become too accustomed to using the two. But for those of us that have recently come from a Windows-centric environment, it is certainly a deal-breaker. If you can't manipulate icons on the desktop, then for a Windows-refugee it's rubbish. We'll take the added overhead for the expected functionality. For ex-Windows patriots, those kinds of things are taken for granted concerning a desktop manager.
Mint/Debian is a very robust, secure, modern Linux distro, one that leverages the Debian testing packages. It's a rolling release, so once it's installed, in theory you should never need to do a re-install. It is very much like using Windows 95/98/Xp with all of the advantages that Linux has to offer. It's true that because I'm not using Puppy I won't be able to run as “root”; but that is of a minor inconvenience when the advantages are weighed against the disadvantages and taken as a whole. Besides, I'll get used to it as time goes on. It's a lot like using Arch Linux as a full install, without the “breakage” risk due to too much “cutting-edge” usage of newer packages.
The reason(s) for my departure are thus – I have newer hardware, and because of that I really don't have anything new or pertinent to add to the Puppy conversation. To remain and add comment or development would be superfluous. Puppy is a good thing in terms of running a stable Linux distro on older hardware, but I personally don't have a need to do so. And as far as development goes, I don't have a means of testing my creation(s) on older hardware. This has been a very frustrating limitation for myself in the past, as there have been many questions concerning hardware that I have had no means of testing and answering. Therefore I think it necessary, and fair, to remove myself from the conversation.
I wish everyone the best. And if someone feels the need to develop Carolina further, please feel free to do so. Carolina, at present, was totally hand crafted. In its current incarnation it wasn't a Woof1 or a Woof2 build. If you desire to take it upon yourself to progress and/or modify what is currently offered by Carolina, you certainly have my blessing to do so. Feel free to take it to a totally new direction if you feel the need to.
But finally, I'd like to thank those that have helped with Carolina development (and Saluki), particularly Geoffrey, rg66, and Marv. And Sage and gcmatrin. And of course jemimah. Please take care everyone, and remember that only as a community you remain strong.
cthisbear

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2013, 03:25    Post subject:  

"I've decided to make an exit, much like jemimah chose to do,
but I felt the need to at least "man-up" and explain my rational.... "

""""""""""

elroy...

But mate I've never posted on your Carolina project have I????

My aura of awfulness must be more potent then I ever hoped.

""""""""""

Anyway mate; many people appreciated your efforts here.

Enjoy yourself elsewhere...and maybe just say hello here
when you feel up to it.

Cheers......mate.

Chris.

""""""

Slipping away

Funny ...I was playing the record when I was posting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQXl5KCqWAk
elroy

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2013, 03:53    Post subject:  

cthisbear wrote:
"I've decided to make an exit, much like jemimah chose to do,
but I felt the need to at least "man-up" and explain my rational.... "

""""""""""

elroy...

But mate I've never posted on your Carolina project have I????

My aura of awfulness must be more potent then I ever hoped.

""""""""""

Anyway mate; many people appreciated your efforts here.

Enjoy yourself elsewhere...and maybe just say hello here
when you feel up to it.

Cheers......mate.

Chris.

""""""

Slipping away

Funny ...I was playing the record when I was posting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQXl5KCqWAk

Guess I could respond to that, but...nah...go "F" yourself.

"
rg66

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2013, 06:14    Post subject:  

Well elroy, I'm really sorry to see you go and stop working on Carolina and I assume lite as well.

I have to say that I've learned a lot from you and really appreciate everything you've done for me and the puppy community as a whole. If it wasn't for you, geoffrey and "lina", I wouldn't have had all these ideas for crappy apps with messy code!

Lina-lite is my OS of choice as you well know, and I've even stopped using windows except for work!

Anyway, thanks for Carolina / lina-lite and everything else. I wish you well in whatever you decide to do and hopefully we can still chat once in a while.

ttyl, Wink
Rod

inoxidabile

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2013, 08:19    Post subject:  

Hi elroy,
How can I say? In the same time I'm happy for You Smile because You are describing a great feel and energy, but I'm also sad Sad because You did a lot of a great job.
I chose Carolina as OS / single install for one of my two pc and I hope this project will go on.
Anyway, please accept my wishes of good luck whatever will be Your direction! Wink
Marv

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2013, 08:43    Post subject:  

Just thanks, elroy.

I truly appreciate both your computer worldview and your hard careful work on Carolina. I've enjoyed working with you on the inner workins of it and will continue to use it as the solid solid solid base for my rescue machine systems while I fiddle with Archness on my 'newer' hardware.

Nuf said, Thanks again.

Sage

PostPosted: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 02:04    Post subject:  

PM, el.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 20:04    Post subject:  

Bye elroy, you will be missed, I hope your new ventures prove to be fruitful, I will catchup with you soon, Cheers mate.

I've added a few more new apps to the repo and updated others http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html

umair

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr 2013, 01:39    Post subject: Re: Elroy

gcmartin wrote:
@umair. Are you still having SAMBA issues?

hi gcmartin: I successfully install installed rcrsn51's samba-TNG. working fine. Now Can access the data from win7 machine. Now got an other strange problem. When I open file manager, it took 5 to 8 seconds to load and also the network which we access from pcman file manager, is disabled. When I tried to access network from the menu. I got the following error: Any Idea ???
Thnx in advance.
3.png
 Description   
 Filesize   54.08 KB
 Viewed   242 Time(s)

3.png

rg66

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr 2013, 02:50    Post subject: Re: Elroy

umair wrote:
Now got an other strange problem. When I open file manager, it took 5 to 8 seconds to load and also the network which we access from pcman file manager, is disabled. When I tried to access network from the menu. I got the following error: Any Idea ???
Thnx in advance.

Did you uninstall gvfs-smb by chance? This happened to me, when I uninstalled gvfs-smb it uninstalled some libs needed by gnutls. To fix this I reinstalled gnutls.

Page 46 of 94 [1407 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, ..., 92, 93, 94 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: