Puppy Database

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
NeroVance

#121 Post by NeroVance »

In terms of how I'd do a DB, I'd use Tcl, Sqlite originated as a Tcl extension 8) (it's even got the feather in it's logo)

Hell, Tcl 8.6 has included a package for database access, hence it could fairly easily built using plain ol' Tcl now (ish). Good thing I've compiled Tcl and Tk 8.6 for my fellow puppians.

But in terms of DB, I would be interested in seeing what people have developed for databases in puppy.

Pelo

Is there anybody here (2010)

#122 Post by Pelo »

No more interest in databases ? I would like to know how to include images in sqliteman. And to show it on a file

Anybody can explain ?

Pelo

nothing new about database . Sqliteman

#123 Post by Pelo »

Dear users of SQLITEMAN , how do you do to insert a picture in SQLITEMAN. ?

tallboy

#124 Post by tallboy »

I used FileMaker in my olds Macs, and miss it very much. No matter what you say, I have never used - or seen - another tool making it so easy to create a database in seconds. But I think all the Puppys I have used, have some basic tools that cover much of what a very simple database is used for:

Notecase is a very nice and compact tool, with hierachical layout and internal links. Examples: I use it a lot for making overviews and lists of source links for people in families 'in work', that are later entered into my genealogy database program Gramps. I also use it to manage my work todo-list and my spare parts, for my old Dodge, and one main use is to list all puppy-related links and notes, my memory is not what it used to be! It can be exported as a .txt, .html or even as a standalone. Bugfree.

It also has a 'poor sibling' in the form of hnb (hierachical note book) for use in a terminal window. Tiny, quick and simple to use, also bugfree.

Osmo Apart from being a calendar program that can manage your tasks and todo-lists, it is also quick and easy for managing contacts, and can easily be used for taking notes.

Homebank is a tool I don't use myself, but from what I have seen, it covers most situations where a database can be used to serve your privat economy.

There are many specialized programs in the puppy repositories for managing your collection of movies, recipes, music or pictures, I cannot mention them all, but as an example, a program like Pmusic is installed in recent puppys. They are probably more efficient than a self-made database would be.
And I hate to say it, but Gnumeric has also taken over some of the tasks that I left to FileMaker earlier. I still have some heavy duty tasks that I leave to my over-large Debian, among them a database, but the frequency of Debian use is fast moving towards zero.

So the big question is: how many puppy users really need a universal database?

Do you think the picture has changed since this thread was started in 2007, and if so: How and why?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

smokey01

#125 Post by smokey01 »

Last edited by smokey01 on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 10:30, edited 3 times in total.

jpeps

#126 Post by jpeps »

I don't know what was happening back in 2007, but sqlite3 works very well. It's also multi-platform, and you can ship the db around like a text file. I wonder how many people use it....it's a real gem.

Command line documentation:

http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite.html

tallboy

#127 Post by tallboy »

Sqlite3 is included default in my Lupu_5.2.8, but I forgot to list it, sorry!

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

technosaurus

#128 Post by technosaurus »

I wrote a video rental webapp that uses sqlite3 shell for the backend (currently set up for in-browser javascript) ... if anyone wants to see a simple example of how you can use sqlite ... I am only capable of simple :)

It could be adapted for general use with the browser or I could patch the sqlite shell for use with gtkdialog (though I think the -list option should be sufficient for gtkdialog treeviews)

As a test I can write an awk script to convert the puppy package databases into sqlite3 tables as a practice project if anyone is interested in pursuing it.

Edit: alternatively we can uses the puppy standard flat file database ...
here is a way to convert them directly to javascript arrays:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/awk '
BEGIN{FS="|";OFS="\",\"";ORS="\"],\n";printf "[\n"}
{print "\t[\""$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13,$14}
END{printf "]\n"}
... may want to wrap it in a callback via BEGIN and END for cross site capability like

#!/usr/bin/awk '
BEGIN{FS="|";OFS="\",\"";ORS="\"],\n";printf "petCallback([\n"}
{print "\t[\""$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13,$14}
END{printf "])\n"}
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jpeps

#129 Post by jpeps »

technosaurus wrote:I wrote a video rental webapp that uses sqlite3 shell for the backend (currently set up for in-browser javascript) ... if anyone wants to see a simple example of how you can use sqlite ... I am only capable of simple :)]
It's more a language, so will be simple for developers to figure out. It's worth learning, since you'll be using it for all your android devices. I've got the MyLibrary" app (listed in Java programming) running on my Nexus with it. You can export the db anywhere exactly like a doc. The db itself is foolproof.

jpeps

#130 Post by jpeps »

It's easy to transfer an sqlite database from puppy to all your devices using dropbox. ( apps like SQLed connect to it directly).

Pelo

attn tallboy : a lot of databases

#131 Post by Pelo »

attn tallboy : a lot of databases
None integrates a picture. I am looking for a database which manages item by item, Like GCstar, datacrow, ppdb, Tellico but for a larger range of material, not only leasures, but machines, meals, softwares, furniture, ... anything !
But with the image. Not so easy to find, unhappily.
You seem to know the subject, i you find anything fitting our request, pls tell us.

and have a nice week'end.

smokey01

Re: attn tallboy : a lot of databases

#132 Post by smokey01 »

Pelo wrote:attn tallboy : a lot of databases
None integrates a picture. I am looking for a database which manages item by item, Like GCstar, datacrow, ppdb, Tellico but for a larger range of material, not only leasures, but machines, meals, softwares, furniture, ... anything !
But with the image. Not so easy to find, unhappily.
You seem to know the subject, i you find anything fitting our request, pls tell us.

and have a nice week'end.
Have you had a look at stuffkeeper? It's quite configurable.
https://github.com/DaveDavenport/stuffkeeper
Attachments
stuffkeeper.jpg
(34.53 KiB) Downloaded 742 times
Last edited by smokey01 on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

Re: attn tallboy : a lot of databases

#133 Post by jpeps »

Pelo wrote: None integrates a picture. I am looking for a database which manages item by ...
You can store images into sqlite3 with hexdump, but a more flexible method might be to just use the db to store the names along with a folder of pix.

slideshow:

echo "select * from images;" | sqlite3 images.db > /tmp/list
while read line; do  viewnior  $line;  sleep 3; done < /tmp/list

Pelo

2013 Lib QT-3.3.8

#134 Post by Pelo »

Pet still available
here
I don't want to build my database, i need something already built. I am not a Geek ! Something pretty, if possible, not SQLite !
I Shall look at stuffkeeper.
and notecase. Stuffkeeper looks like what i wish.

Pelo

2015 : Tellico 2.37 available again

#135 Post by Pelo »

Tellico runs with tarhpup 5.8.3
SFS loaded on the fly
kde-4.10-slacko_5.4.0.3.sfs: 177 M
tellico-2.3.7-slacko_5.4.0.3.sfs: 15 M

libpoppler-qt4-4_0.24.5 from ubuntu
Attachments
SlackoTellico.jpg
(46.49 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 29 Jan 2015, 11:45, edited 3 times in total.

technosaurus

#136 Post by technosaurus »

Here is some FYI on using your filesystem as a database:

Here is one example, but there are many ways to implement it

-{ Databases
 | -{ Pet_Packages (each directory is a "database")
 |  | -{ Abiword (each subdirectory is a "record")
 |  |  | -pkg_name (contents of file is abiword-2.8.6.pet)
 |  |  | -version (contents of file is 2.8.6)
 |  |  | -dependencies (contents of file is gtk2,...)
... you could always name the records as numbers like other databases do, but the flexibility is there

Here are some advantages:
- Ext4, btrfs and most other modern filesystems allow each small entry to be stored within the inode (Ext4 has the smallest limit of 60 bytes) so you get similar access to a database, but with the advantage that larger entities are still possible without modification
- You can use standard tools to query the "database" for example:
grep gtk2 $HOME/Databases/Pet_Packages/*/dependencies
- It is as scalable as the backing filesystem
- It is easy to share entries within and between databases with links
- The filesystem keeps track of mod and access time to make it easy to sync only changed entries (using rsync for example)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

dejan555

#137 Post by dejan555 »

Regarding flat file databases, here's a little script, kinda like proof of concept for a simple data manager I did in bash/gtkdialog, there are ten columns which you can define names and visibility in preferences and then you can add/delete/edit/search entries or even load multiple databases (just type new name for database in the bottom input and hit add)
It uses numbers to manipulate entries (something like primary key autoincrement in databases) with sed, grep, etc...

I've made this originally for contacts so I named columns something like: Name, Surname, Phone, Cell_phone, Mail, Web, etc...

gunzip the script and make executable.

Also, sqlite3 is really light and included in every puppy I think it can be powerfull tool for creating desktop apps in combination with bash/gtkdialog, a simple one also I did is here, but I might share a different one made I've been making these days for tracking of bought/spent materials and cost if there's interest.
Attachments
manager.sh.gz
gunzip and make executable
(1.92 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Pelo

KDE 3.5.7 sfs (sfs4) needed for Tellico

#138 Post by Pelo »

dejan i am only a poor user, not a developer
here is now a great misunderstood nowadays in Puppy, there are still some users who do not develop, and don't want to... just use,
Nevertheless i keep somewhere structure of Tellico files. I will join them soon.
KDE 3.5.7 sfs (sfs4) needed for Tellico stored in my Google Drive
Old ? yes, old, but it works , and link is alive..
Tellico sucessful in Tahrpup 5.8.3 (merci Jejy69 and LXPUP team)

PS : i run depup sqeeze 5x 3.6.21.1 on an old laptop Acer. Good distro. No problem.
Merci Dejan too, for having considered our users needs.
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 24 Nov 2015, 16:19, edited 8 times in total.

dejan555

#139 Post by dejan555 »

Nothing wrong with that
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Pelo

Tellico again (with some help from developers)

#140 Post by Pelo »

Tellico ok under tahrpup ( Sfs KDE loaded on the fly).
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 10:53, edited 3 times in total.