USB-stick with Puppy Linux on it not working.

Booting, installing, newbie
glassbreaker25

USB-stick with Puppy Linux on it not working.

#1 Post by glassbreaker25 »

I have made a Puppy Linux-stick with Puppy Linux on it. I have tried to run it but it didn´t work.
I do have access to the files itself but of course I would like it to run as an independent os.
So I checked the boot-order. It is this:
1. USB hdd
2. USB cd-rom
3. Atapi CD-rom
4. Hddo Hitachi Hts545050A7E380
5. Network Boot BRCM MBA slot 0200.v 15.0.11
6. USB FDD

What could be wrong? Puppy Linux version is Puppy_slacko_5.3.3.sfs.
boot.msg is also there on the stick. The files were burnt with a program on the Puppy cd-rom.
I am typing this on a laptop with Linux Mint on it.

rcrsn51

Re: USB-stick with Puppy Linux on it not working.

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

glassbreaker25 wrote: The files were burnt with a program on the Puppy cd-rom.
Which program?

Open the System menu and run Grub4Dos Bootloader Config. Make sure that you select your USB drive as the target, NOT your hard drive.

Investigator12

Puppy Linux on USB-stick

#3 Post by Investigator12 »

This question is from my dad and I take over (kind of).

My father is running Linux Mint on his computer and he wants to do his financials from an USB-stick.

What will this program Grub4Dos Bootloader Config exactly do? I mean it is obvious that it will burn a file on the USB-stick. But what happens when you do? Why will the boot work then?

circularL7

Re: Puppy Linux on USB-stick

#4 Post by circularL7 »

Investigator12 wrote:This question is from my dad and I take over (kind of).

My father is running Linux Mint on his computer and he wants to do his financials from an USB-stick.

What will this program Grub4Dos Bootloader Config exactly do? I mean it is obvious that it will burn a file on the USB-stick. But what happens when you do? Why will the boot work then?
GRUB4DOS will modify the first sector (512kB) of the flash, the Master Boot Record. The computer looks at that section to find the (sort of) first step in the boot process. That (sort of) first step tells the computer where to go for the (sort of) second step, which is your Pup files that you have already burned.

You don't have anything telling the BIOS ROM program, the real first step, to go to the Pup files. It's, relatively speaking, a three step process, and you're missing step two. . . or in idiom ridden computer lexicon, the first step:D

For getting Pup going for you, step one: erase the stick. Step two: use a live-CD to load Puppy. Step three: use "Gparted" to partition the USB (if you want) and set the partition with a boot flag. Step four: run the Puppy installer from live-CD. Step five: run the GRUB installer from the live-CD.

If you're just loading the one Pup, don't worry about the "menu.lst" info at the end of the Pup installer.