How to install this Bitcoin Address Generator?

Booting, installing, newbie
abexman

How to install this Bitcoin Address Generator?

#1 Post by abexman »

I want to use this program along with bitaddress.org & brainwallet.org to triple check the address pairs generated. Can someone explain to me in lay terms, step by step how to install this?

I tried to install WINE in Puppy and run this app but it did not seem to work (WINE seemed to install but the exe did not do anything when clicked on), I wonder if my machine might be too old to run WINE.

https://github.com/casascius/Bitcoin-Address-Utility

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Abexman- is QT4 installed? List your pup (Wary?) and whether it's a full or frugal install you've got there..

All I did was dwnld their tar.gz, unpack and run the executable. From their README:
Setup
-----
You need the Qt4 run-time libraries to run Bitcoin-Qt. On Debian or Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install libqtgui4

Unpack the files into a directory and run:
bin/32/bitcoin-qt (GUI, 32-bit)

abexman

#3 Post by abexman »

Im on Wary 5.1.1. This is run off a CD. Im not sure on QT - I did not install much that is not built into the install. I searched in the package manager and a search for 'qt' it shows "qt4-4.5.3-1w5" and a 3 other related packages?

I should note I have a compiled version of the software for Windows from https://casascius.com/btcaddress-alpha.zip, but not sure if I use that or re-compile the source code to best get to work in Puppy? Which tar.gz are you talking about? I only see https://github.com/casascius/Bitcoin-Ad ... master.zip

Sorry, not sure what Im doing!

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Before getting over our heads, try the executable and see what it says >> DIRECT DWNLD.

Make sure you 'extract' the pkg, not install. Your home directory's fine for the moment.

You wanna fire this file >> bin/32/bitcoin-qt

If it doesn't go.. rt-clk and >> window >> terminal here.

Type this in: ./bitcoin-qt and note the message.

And hey- don't sweat the not knowing bit..

abexman

#5 Post by abexman »

Semme - you are linking to the Bitcoin client. What I was trying to install is a separate utility used just to create addresses, the project is here: https://github.com/casascius/Bitcoin-Address-Utility

Is that something you can help with?
Semme wrote:Before getting over our heads, try the executable and see what it says >> DIRECT DWNLD.

Make sure you 'extract' the pkg, not install. Your home directory's fine for the moment.

You wanna fire this file >> bin/32/bitcoin-qt

If it doesn't go.. rt-clk and >> window >> terminal here.

Type this in: ./bitcoin-qt and note the message.

And hey- don't sweat the not knowing bit..

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Yeah, sure appears Wine specific. What you need is someone with a working setup on 5.1.1. As an additional- I'd ask about the program here. And while investigating I came across Vanitygen. Built OK and runs fine- commandline only however. The below warning is something you could probably overcome with an updated lib. Furthermore- I intentionally kept gen creation quick..

Code: Select all

./vanitygen 1Lvr 
WARNING: Built with OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
WARNING: Use OpenSSL 1.0.0d+ for best performance
Difficulty: 77178
Pattern: 1Lvr                                                                  
Address: 1Lvri6hKRizeZf4ABsWgzjeYt6gFTfobD6
Privkey: 5JDZPQS4PySmzAEYdGyS2YQn4yU4BZe19sBh86pd41PbRLTxVut
Includes keyconv:

Usage: ./keyconv [-8] [-e|-E <password>] [-c <key>] [<key>]
-G            Generate a key pair and output the full public key
-8            Output key in PKCS#8 form
-e            Encrypt output key, prompt for password
-E <password> Encrypt output key with <password> (UNSAFE)
-c <key>      Combine private key parts to make complete private key
-v            Verbose output
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Vanitygen

abexman

#7 Post by abexman »

Vanitygen might do the trick! Thanks! How did you install on Puppy? I thought to compile in Ubuntu but am having problems figuring out how to use GNU Make - giving me errors in Ubuntu.

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Here- place the two binaries in /usr/local/bin. They should work on any Pup..

md5sum vgen_0.22.tar.gz >> 94b8f6cded2011dfcb8c4177413f818f
Attachments
vgen_0.22.tar.gz
(92.98 KiB) Downloaded 271 times

abexman

#9 Post by abexman »

OK, I put these files on my pup in the usr/local/bin. I then open "console" and type "./vanitygen passphrase" and got "bash: ./vanitygen: No such file or directory"

Same message if I do "./keyconv passphrase". Or if I just do "keyconv passphrase" I get "keyconv: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: just looking here - in the example above 1Lvr is a pattern, not a passphrase from which to generate keys. This may not do what I am looking for. I am looking to mimic the passphrase usage from the brainwallet tab at https://www.bitaddress.org - so as to doublecheck its output. I believe a SHA256 is done on the passphrase and then it is converted to base58 to get a private key and then some additional derivation is done from that to get the corresponding public key. I know the Cacascius tool for Windows does this, any other way to do this via command line in Linux or otherwise?

abexman

#10 Post by abexman »

It looks like from here, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=133220.0, Bitcoin Armory has the functionality to make keys from passphrase and has Linux builds. Is there a way to port this to Puppy? https://bitcoinarmory.com/building-armory-from-source/

I have not confirmed this yet from my tinkering cuz I'm not sure what command line commands make the pairs.... but brainstorming on it.

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

You should maybe try another version of Wine.. Find'em here.

As for BA, there's something that didn't sit right while visiting..

abexman

#12 Post by abexman »

Having a hard time - was hoping to keep this offline and all the Wine installs seem to install dependencies from the internet. Is there a lightweight puppy derivative that has Wine installed? I looked at Lighthouse pup but it was over 200mb...

abexman

#13 Post by abexman »

Well I got Lighthouse 5.03g installed off CD, and it seems to run OK.Wine comes prepackaged minus the stuff for the html (it warned me this is not installed, but I assume I won't need?) to just run this exe for the Bitcoin Address Generator? Anyway I cannot get it to run. I click on the exe and nothing seems to happen though it does appear Wine opens/runs in the background.

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

Lest we forget >> dependencies!

abexman

#15 Post by abexman »

Semme, I have the same files running on Ubuntu Wine no issue, so shouldn't the same files work in Puppy Linux? These are the program files, assuming then that all the dependencies are included in the below unless there is something this needs that Ubuntu has and PL does not?

Bitcoin-note.png note-green.png source.zip
BouncyCastle.Crypto.dll note-Greyscale.png ThoughtWorks.QRCode.dll
BtcAddress.exe note-purple.png Ubuntu-R.ttf
note-blue.png note-yellow.png

Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

Does Wine on LH run out of a shell without generating errors?

Where'd your ThoughtWorks dll come from? What happens here?

wine BtcAddress.exe

abexman

#17 Post by abexman »

Ah, now we are getting somewhere! That command gives me: "install the windows version of Mono to run. net executables"

abexman

#18 Post by abexman »

I installed Mono and it works! Yay! Send me your btc address and ill send you some Bitcoin! 1000 thank yous!

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Well Congratulations! When in doubt >> feed the failing to a shell..