Where can I get SDL libraries for Flare? (Solved)

Play with your Puppy.
wimpy

Where can I get SDL libraries for Flare? (Solved)

#1 Post by wimpy »

There is a Diablo clone called Flare, with a pet for download available - supposed to work fine in Slacko. I downloaded and installed it in Lucid 5.2.8. Didn't seem to be any problem and there was a Menu entry for it. Clicked the Menu entry (in Fun, no less) and ,,,,,, nothing. One would have thought that, if it wasn't going to work, the installation would have complained about missing dependencies, libs etc.
Anyway, I found the exec file in /usr/local/games and ran it from a terminal. This time it said it was missing a SDL tft file, which could be a font one. Presumably, some of the.other SDL files required have been added by applications, which I have installed in the past. Is there a complete package of SDL files (in a pet) which will only install any libs not already present?
Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by wimpy on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 16:49, edited 3 times in total.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

wimpy

#3 Post by wimpy »

Thanks for the reply. Will Lucid handle dotpups or do I need a dotpup handler?

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

I don't know, it's some time I abandoned lucid but I have another link:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68875

wimpy

#5 Post by wimpy »

Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can get SDL loaded up.

EDIT It still doesn't run. I now get "/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by /usr/local/games/flare)".
I feel that I am well out of my depth and to mix metaphors have decided to bail out. I will remove flare as best I can, but will leave this as unsolved - in case it helps someone else.

Monsie

Games and SDL libraries

#6 Post by Monsie »

wimpy,

I found a Mirror with packages for Slacko. There is a pet listed for SDL 1.2.14 I have not tested this package in Wary Puppy yet, but since Flare is reported to work in Slacko 5.4 then this version may be the solution.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

@wimpy,

try downloading this sfs:

flare-0.18.sfs (155.65Mbytes)

Save to /mnt/home, then load using sfs_load.

N.B. It already contains needed SDL libraries.

wimpy

#8 Post by wimpy »

Thank you. Monsie and muggins. I decided to go with muggins' suggestion and downloaded the sfs file. I moved it to /mnt/home and it ran perfectly from sfs_load.
Looks quite good.
My thanks, once again, for everybody's help and especially muggins.
I'll mark this thread as "Solved"
EDIT . I've removed the "Solved" (for the moment) since I now have another problem with the sfs file
Last edited by wimpy on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

Glad to hear it's working wimpy.

For cross-references I also just posted in additional software, games section, here.

Monsie

Games and SDL libraries - SOLVED

#10 Post by Monsie »

Just for the record, I did some testing in Wary Puppy. It turns out that Flare needed four SDL packages: SDL-1.2.14-i486.pet, SDL_image-1.2.10-i486.pet, SDL_mixer-1.2.11-i486.pet, and SDL_ttf-2.0.9-i486.pet in order to meet its dependencies. That said, I was still unable to get Flare-0.17.1 to run in Wary... :?: Maybe I will ask Christos since he compiled this for Slacko, but did indicate to me that he would try it out in Wary.

I did however, try Flare-0.18 in Wary, and I am pleased to report that (so far) it appears to be running nicely, so thanks very much muggins --nice to see that you are still putting some games together. :)

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

wimpy

#11 Post by wimpy »

Sorry to come back on this. When I used sfs-load before on the flare*.sfs file, it said it was updating the menu file. Everything worked fine. I proceeded to remove the previous version of flare - the one with the SDL libraries. Now when I use sfs-load , it still says that it is going to update the menu,,,, but it doesn't.. So I don't have a menu entry (in Fun) to actually run it. How do I get it to run?

Keef

#12 Post by Keef »

It always helps to remove old versions before installing new ones. Otherwise you are likely to remove elements that were common to both.
Try unloading and reloading the sfs.
Or try typing 'flare' in terminal (assuming that's what the binary is called).

Re-reading your post: Did you try rebooting after removing the other version? Sometimes it is needed to 'clean up' properly.

wimpy

#13 Post by wimpy »

Yes. I've rebooted a number of times since I removed the previous flare.. I may have been deluding myself into thinking I was running off the sfs file, when I thought it was working. The menu entry may well have been the previous flare (which didn't work).. I had to remove most of the previous flare manually, since the uninstall left loads of files behind. I did a pfind and it says that there are now no files with flare in the name, although I have flare-0.18.sfs in /mnt/home and sfs_load says it is loaded OK.

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

wimpy,

i tried to replicate your problems, by rebooting a fresh p528, creating a save file, then installing the pet from this thread. (I'm assuming this is the one you first installed).

After uninstalling, via the package manager, there were still many parts remaining. After manually deleting these, then installing my sfs, it ran without problems.

The only thing i can think that could be causing you problems is possible leftover whiteout files. If you go to /initrd/pup_rw directory, then click the "eye" to reveal hidden files, are there any whiteout remnants?

wimpy

#15 Post by wimpy »

Thanks for the reply. There are 2 empty directories and one file in /intrd/pup_rw.- .wh..wh.orph
,.wh..wh.pink, (directories), and the file ,wh..wh.aufs. I presumhttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/images/icons/icon9.gife the file is one of the whiteout files you mention. It looks empty anyway in geany. I'll delete it and report back.
EDIT 1: Didn't work. Still no launch entry in Fun. Do I have to delete the directories as well?
EDIT 2: FWIW I also have a Lucid 5.2.8 minimal setup which I use for test purposes. The only application installed is Firefox. I loaded the sfs file through Sfs-load and this time a Menu entry for flare appeared in Fun. Unfortunately that didn't seem to work either. Clicking on it doesn't work.
EDIT 3. I tried once more with a completely standard Lucid 5.2.8 ( no applications added). This time sfs-load said that I was trying to load without pup_save (whatever that is). I could go back (and install pup_save) or continue on an experimental basis. I decided to continue. The menu system was updated but it still didn't work. As before, clicking on the menu item in Fun did nothing. I'm a fairly impatient guy - how long should I have waited?
EDIT 4. Works fine in Slacko 5.5.

muggins

#16 Post by muggins »

Just booted p528, without save file, installed SDL.pet, then sfs_loaded flare sfs, and it runs with no complaints whatsoever.

Perhaps, if you opened a console & entered flare, some errors might give some clues why it's not working for you.

wimpy

#17 Post by wimpy »

muggins wrote:Just booted p528, without save file, installed SDL.pet, then sfs_loaded flare sfs, and it runs with no complaints whatsoever.

Perhaps, if you opened a console & entered flare, some errors might give some clues why it's not working for you.
Which SDLpet did you use? I did get rid of a SDL file in order to get Freeciv to run properly. Freeciv works fine at the moment. I thought the flare-0.18.sfs file contained all the required sdl files. Is there any particular directory I should be in on the console when typing flare.

muggins

#18 Post by muggins »

I forgot that the flare sfs I uploaded already has SDL libraries bundled with it. I just rebooted p528 in ram mode & it runs fine.

You don't need to be in any particular directory to run flare.

wimpy

#19 Post by wimpy »

Typing <flare> in the termnal does nothing - just "command not found".
I can't get it to work in my vanilla 5.2.8 (just the CD) either. Using the vanilla 5.2.8 , I end up with a blank screen so that I have to use the xorgwizard to set the screen resolution and driver.
The recommended resolution for my monitor is 1920x1080 but the wizard will invariably set something lower, presumably using vesa.
Thanks again for your help. I can get get it to work in Slacko, so, if I feel a desperate urge to play the game, I can always boot that up. :)
EDIT: I tried typing <flare> in the vanilla 5.2.8 and got a missing libpng.so.3 (which seems to come via a link from libpng 12 - http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 922091532d). libpng12, itself, seems to be part of the SDL.pet which I removed, - it interfered with the sdl packs required for freeciv.

muggins

#20 Post by muggins »

Which freeciv version did you install? I installed Scottman's version, (from this thread), and it runs fine with the SDL libraries from the flare sfs, and with the libpng.so.3 link.

I suspect the problems you're having are due to SDL incompatibilities and maybe leftover stuff from the previous flare.

Try booting a fresh install of lupu528, into ram with pfix=ram, then sfs_load the flare sfs, then install scottman's freeciv, and I'm sure they'll both work.