How to use JRE for Openoffice?

Business software, financial software, etc.
earl

#1 Post by earl »

Using Puppy Precise from a USB thumb drive.

I have installed open office versions 3.2 and 3.3.0 SFS in combination with jre1-7.0-17.sfs or jre-1.6.0.20.pet and Base continues to state that I need to install jre...

Help - please

Earl

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

If you look in the openoffice preferences you should be able to tell it where to find java. Have you done that?
From memory I think you direct it to the Java bin directory and then it identifies the java install, telling you the version etc.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

earl

#3 Post by earl »

I'll give it a try, I went into tools, options java just like in Win7 and 8 but that did not work... i'll let you know

Oh I also could not use 64 bit jre only 32!

Thanks

boxR

#4 Post by boxR »

Just a suggestion: you can use OpenOffice 3.4.1 (DEB packages)

earl

#5 Post by earl »

I have sfs'd java 1.7.0_17, but when I go into OpenOffice.org Calc and look in "tools", "options", "openoffice.org" "java" it is still blank...

@ disciple - I could not find "openoffice preferences" so this is why I am at the above location(s).

@boxR I'm having enough problems trying to get 3.3 to do what I want :cry: treying to load a deb was a problem for me it was in a tar ball and unlike a zip file there was no readme file to guide the blind. Also it link sent me to a newer version so sitting in the wings on my drive is 3.4.1 and 4.0.1

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

I have sfs'd java 1.7.0_17, but when I go into OpenOffice.org Calc and look in "tools", "options", "openoffice.org" "java" it is still blank...

@ disciple - I could not find "openoffice preferences" so this is why I am at the above location(s).
That's where I mean. But there should be a button or something there to tell it where to look for Java. On other operating systems I think Java is detected automatically, and the intention of it is mainly so you can choose which Java to use when you have more than one installed. But on Puppy I think I've always had to tell it where to look for Java.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

earl

How to use JRE for Openoffice

#7 Post by earl »

""That's where I mean. But there should be a button or something there to tell it where to look for Java. On other operating systems I think Java is detected automatically, and the intention of it is mainly so you can choose which Java to use when you have more than one installed. But on Puppy I think I've always had to tell it where to look for Java.""

@ disciple - I guess my problem is I don't know where Java is, so when I go to the "ADD" it is not obvious where to go next. How do I find where SFS put Jave - an old newbee

boxR

#8 Post by boxR »

You can download both OpenOffice and Java here :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/asriedu ... ylucid52x/

If you have still problem, try to delete this file :
  • /root/.config/.openoffice/4/user/config/javasettings_Linux_x86.xml

earl

#9 Post by earl »

[quote="boxR"]You can download both OpenOffice and Java here :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/asriedu ... ylucid52x/

Would this be in english? the files all seem to have .fr. in them.

I assume that I would have to remove my present ooo 3.3 and jre before loading the newer files also.

Thanks for your responce

Followup, I got a copy of jre-1.7u25-i586.sfs.zip and LibreOffice-4.1.2_es_xz.sfs, This combination works! so far...