Slacko and screen problem on eee 701

Booting, installing, newbie
Formica

Slacko and screen problem on eee 701

#1 Post by Formica »

Just installed Puppy.5.3.3 on my eee 701 to replace Wary 5.1.3 which was great but couldn't seem to handle wifi well.

Slacko seems promising as Frisbee handles wifi seamlessly.
But there is one immediate problem as the screen judders and jumps when I use Seamonkey to browse the internet or Gnome Mplayer to play a movie.

I thought it was a screen size setting problem but it appears to happen when the cursor is moving across links or the focus shifts - for instance if you create a new tabbed window the screen judders and the edge of the window jumps to the centre of the screen and then back, it's as if you were moving a picture frame left and right.

Anybody have an idea what is going on?

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Formica:

Give Dpup Exprimo 5.X.14 a try.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70399

Or his earlier release.

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.8 with 3.4.2 kernel.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76247

Chris.

sfeeley

#3 Post by sfeeley »

maybe switching from xorg to xvesa (or vice versa) might help the screen jiggles?

BTW: I use lucid 5.28 on an Asus 1015PEM and it works great (although I had to get a broadcom driver pet for wifi)

mini-jaguar

#4 Post by mini-jaguar »

A lot of Puppies have problems with the screen size of the eeePC 701, mainly from the screen size of some applications, for example the bottom of the package manager is off screen so you can't click any of the buttons, or you can't see the bottom of a game like Tetris, for example.

The only ones that seem to have solved this problem are Puppeee and Saluki (although I've only briefly tried an older version of Saluki, I'll have yet to test a newer version).

Formica

#5 Post by Formica »

Chris

Thank you very much indeed for suggesting I use Dpup Exprimo.

I have now got it working and it is proving stable and forgiving to a newbie on an Eee 701 with the Celeron M processor.

I will just run through a few of the advantages and tweaks I have implemented for the benefit of any newbies searching for a system to put on their 701.

The iso was very straightforward to download and install from Chris's post above. Audio and wifi detection (the wonderful Frisbee) worked straight away. I often have to visit places, use the wifi and then move on. Frisbee is great at detecting a wifi you have used before and then logging on by itself with no drama.

Download/install Flashplayer
Trying to watch BBC tv programmes or youtube won't work - you will get a message that you should download Flashplayer. Yes, Flashplayer isn't ready installed and the path of getting it running is a little quirky.
There is a mysterious Flashplayer item in the "internet" menu which seems to do nothing when selected.
Instead there is a GetFlash install item below it, which downloads but does not install Flashplayer. It states that you just need to close down and reopen your web browser to make it work but that isn't so.
You can check this after downloading by opening the same GetFlash item from the menu. It will still tell you that you haven't got Flashplayer installed and invite you to download it again.
Instead you must find Flashplayer in your downloads folder, click on it to open it and then choose install. A few minutes later it will have finished and you can check that it has installed by opening that GetFlash item again. A bit of a maze that one.

The jerky screen problem seems to have been solved (mostly) with Dpup - I have specified a 800x400 screen and it is almost always stable, just the occasional jump sometimes when scrolling.
You can also solve a perennial problem of the 701 screen - that the OK dialogue buttons and the scroll arrows fall off the bottom of the screen or are obscured by a programme tray across the bottom.
With the JWM manager you can specify a programme tray at the top of the screen rather than the bottom and also activate the autohide feature. This makes the tray appear when you move the cursor quickly onto it, but hides it if you move the curson into position slowly. Very useful.

I have tried and enjoyed Puppeee, Wary and Lucid on a 701 but Dpup Exprimo (puppy_squeeze 5.x.15) seems the best so far.
Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of that enormous great Out house clock that keeps popping up on the desktop...

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

Formica:

Good that you got a working eee 701.

pemasu delivers some nice releases.

And great that you replied back...
it keeps us wanting to help the next bloke.

Just edit your title as solved....

Flash should download in that version.
I did it the other night.

I think that you click in >> Internet >> in the menu.
You will clearly see it downloading.

Chris.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

I have specified a 800x400 screen and it is almost always stable, just the occasional jump sometimes when scrolling.
The specs I found for the Eee 701 state a 800X480 resolution.
Maybe set it to this 800X480 may help.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

BJF

#8 Post by BJF »

I might have an answer for this. My 701 goes crackerdog with the xorgwizard's Probed 800x480 display when running Live or Installed. I find that if I choose the middle button of the xorgwizard menu (can't for the life of me remember what it's called) and tab down to choose the Intel driver before proceeding, the flickering is gone.

mini-jaguar

#9 Post by mini-jaguar »

Also will flicker if you pick x16 in the xorgwizard. You have to pick x24.

peejaypupY

#10 Post by peejaypupY »

@BJF and mini-jaguar
Thanks, both. I had just the problem outlined and your combined solutions fixed it for me completely. By the way, the middle option in xorgwizard is labelled 'choice'. I am highly delighted as my eee had become almost unusable in xandros and in a ubuntu-derived distro. The keyboard almost ceased working and I was beginning to think the hardware had gone.
A frugal install of Slacko has, with these tweaks, given me a well featured and responsive system again.