Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Jul 2014, 23:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Forum downtime and issues today
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 7 [96 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2013, 06:14    Post subject:  

MU should have more than 100 posts I think . So would have fallen out of my filter .

About any size limits : This one by tempestuous is 8,61KB and won't download for me either :

915resolution-0.5.3-patched20110617.tar.gz
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=42048]

from 915resolution patched thread in the Additional Software Drivers section .
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2013, 08:30    Post subject:  

The forum just gives me an error message when I try to look at that post. Sad The post doesn't even show up when I look for it in the thread one page at a time.
Caneri

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 16:39    Post subject:  

This looks like Murga needs some help.
I wouldn't even know where to start.

Any ideas?

I would never think Murga has missed something...but with the server loads he may need something more.

Your thoughts? ....and I will chip in if needs be...Eric

EDIT: Is it just forum software that's the culprit?

Karl Godt

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 17:19    Post subject:  

probably filesystem corruption ..
Caneri

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 17:34    Post subject:  

Sheesh..I hope not.

I can handle a backup for the forum if Murga needs it (also tlchost can handle it).

There are others that can chip in as well to quell the nasty corruptions.

There were some of us that wanted to cull files from Murga...alas it never went anywhere a few years back. It was very difficult.

Eric

tlchost

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 19:11    Post subject:  

Caneri wrote:

I can handle a backup for the forum if Murga needs it (also tlchost can handle it).

Some time in the past when there was a very big outage on the forum, John promised there would be a fully working backup(or words to that effect) in place.

I've never seen it, or heard any more mention of it....so I can only assume it did not happen.

If one thinks in terms of distributed technology, it makes no sense whatsoever to rely on any single venue to be the home of applications, scripts, etc.

I'm not a distro hopper...so it's fairly easy for me to maintain a local copy of every .pet, .sfs, script, distro that I've ever used....if I loose that, and the 2 sets of backups...shame on me.

Strongly suggest that if you think something is useful to you....save it.

Perhaps a new thread might be in order to find items missing from the forum that someone has locally, or stored online.

I'd offer an online database to track the stuff....but my experience with one for pets and sfs files is that folks simply don't use it...but they do complain about missing things.

Thom
Caneri

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 19:20    Post subject:  

Thom,

I've seen and talked to you about your trying to offer services (database,chat,hosting and more)...alas they were not used. Complaints continue but your service is not used....WTF?

I have no idea why your offers are not taken up to be used by the pups...alas

Eric

tlchost

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 19:33    Post subject:  

Caneri wrote:
Thom,

I've seen and talked to you about your trying to offer services (database,chat,hosting and more)...alas they were not used. Complaints continue but your service is not used....WTF?

Anything I could say would most likely be mis-understood.

Drop in #puppylinux on irc.freenode.net ... I'd be happy to discuss the issue with you or anyone else in real time Very Happy

Thom
majorfoo

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 20:20    Post subject:  

Karl Godt wrote:

915resolution-0.5.3-patched20110617.tar.gz
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=42048]

from 915resolution patched thread in the Additional Software Drivers section .

915resolution patched.pet can be found at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-quirky/

barry's comments at
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01251
Q5sys

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 21:12    Post subject:  

Caneri wrote:
This looks like Murga needs some help.
I wouldn't even know where to start.
Any ideas?
EDIT: Is it just forum software that's the culprit?

Caneri wrote:
Sheesh..I hope not.
There are others that can chip in as well to quell the nasty corruptions.
There were some of us that wanted to cull files from Murga...alas it never went anywhere a few years back. It was very difficult.
Eric

tlchost wrote:
Some time in the past when there was a very big outage on the forum, John promised there would be a fully working backup(or words to that effect) in place.
I've never seen it, or heard any more mention of it....so I can only assume it did not happen.
If one thinks in terms of distributed technology, it makes no sense whatsoever to rely on any single venue to be the home of applications, scripts, etc.
I'm not a distro hopper...so it's fairly easy for me to maintain a local copy of every .pet, .sfs, script, distro that I've ever used....if I loose that, and the 2 sets of backups...shame on me.
Strongly suggest that if you think something is useful to you....save it.
Perhaps a new thread might be in order to find items missing from the forum that someone has locally, or stored online.
I'd offer an online database to track the stuff....but my experience with one for pets and sfs files is that folks simply don't use it...but they do complain about missing things.
Thom

After the last major outage which lasted a week I contacted John and offered him to use part of my server as a backup. I sliced off a section with its own Admin panel and, even offered the domain name puppy-linux.org (which I own) for him to use. I had the entire thing ready for him to just log into and make a mirror copy. He had shell and cron access so it could sync daily. He said he was going to use it and made the comment to the community that it'd be taken care of. Sadly... its still sitting there doing nothing. (I'm now hosting puppy files on that domain, just so its used)

Even though it was there all ready to go... it was never used. It was all set up but he told me he was too busy to do anything with it.
Late last year, I talked to him for about 2 months about adding a 64bit forum, so that stuff wouldnt get mixed up with the other 32bit software/puppy's in the forum. But he didnt have time for that either.

I know for a fact, that the forum software has problems. I'm well aware of several exploits that exist in the forum software. Running phpbb2 at this stage of the game is a disaster waiting to happen. It's not a matter of if... its a matter of when. All it would take is a person with a grudge and a few hours to research it, and they could have this forum torn apart. Yes John could load a backup, but it'd just happen again.

I realize John is busy with things in real life. But if he's too busy to manage the site, then he needs to choose someone to help him out. Otherwise one day... something will happen and the entire community will be screwed because all of our eggs were put in one basket.

I'm willing to spend the time the site will require to manage. I'm willing to spend the time to make sure the software is current and isn't exploitable. I'm willing to cover the server cost and expense. But my willingness to do this for the community isn't being utilized.

No matter how much I'm willing to do this... I can't do anything without John being on board.

My PC is for sale
tlchost

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 22:11    Post subject:  

Q5sys wrote:

I'm willing to spend the time the site will require to manage. I'm willing to spend the time to make sure the software is current and isn't exploitable. I'm willing to cover the server cost and expense. But my willingness to do this for the community isn't being utilized.

Not to diminish your efforts....but several people have made similar offers in the past....promises have been made by John to have a working backup for the forum in place.

I think that lack of action in either having the promised backup or taking up the offers to help speaks for itself.

There doesn't seem to be much point in beating the already dead horse. It's not productive and doesn't solve the problem. Since there seems little clamor to make things better, one can assume most folks are content with lowered expectations.

Thom
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 23:39    Post subject:  

On the other hand we're still here, chugging along, what, eight years later? Very Happy
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 15 May 2013, 01:48    Post subject:  

I'm surprised how long John has put up with some of the slams and spams this site has endured over the years.
Q5sys

PostPosted: Wed 15 May 2013, 05:20    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
On the other hand we're still here, chugging along, what, eight years later? Very Happy

And I'm glad that we are. But its silly not to put ourselves in a better more stable place with a backup of some sort, just because we we haven't gotten completely screwed in the past. There's a reason people pay insurance for their homes, cars, etc.
Being prepared is always better than not being prepared.

When there are no problems... most people dont care. When there is a problem like when the forum went down for over a week last time; everyone flips out and goes nuclear. A little bit of work and effort now, will help silence the screaming masses when something does go wrong.

I just think we should be pro-active and take away opportunities and chances for people to bitch and complain when something does happen that was easily avoidable.

My PC is for sale
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2013, 03:09    Post subject:  

I seem to remember in a brief with John awhile ago that he has plans to upgrade the site with latest "bb-ware".

Could it possibly be that he may be trying to do that and wants to get that done first, before moving the site to a new physical home? It could be that he's working on something as we speak.

That could explain, in part, what's happening.

Question:
What would it take to upgrade the BB software in a completely mirrored approach which would provide physical redundancy?

A dialogue with approaches could certainly provide good guidance no matter what.

Page 5 of 7 [96 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: