"Testing" Sensei & Sensei64

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
stifiling

#21 Post by stifiling »

64-bit Sensei64 full ISO is also now available.

stifiling

#22 Post by stifiling »

I added the save file dialog and a few other adjustments listed in the Changes: in the first post to Sensei64. Will be mirroring those same adjustments to Sensei.

Scooby

#23 Post by Scooby »

This looks very interesting, I want to try it!

How easy is it to install openbox?

Have you included simargls script for putting pacman:ed programs into
a .sfs file? Cannot remember the name?

Looks like a good job - do you intend to suport it long term?

What was ArchPup using anyway? OpenBox or LXDE?

Scooby

#24 Post by Scooby »

Tried Sensei64full, downloaded iso several times

Got the following

Code: Select all

...Peter Anvin et alll .....
EDD: Error 0400 reading sector 202484
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot:
will try pae-32 now

Scooby

#25 Post by Scooby »

okay

barebones pae 32 started OK

as did non-pae sensei full.
In this one Touchpad didnt work but I guess as in ArchPup and AlphaOS
it will work with carolinas xorg.conf inserted

I would like to get sensei64 full started though, any input?

stifiling

#26 Post by stifiling »

Scooby,

Using the 64 bit sensei full ISO...could u try copying the files from the ISO and place them on the hard drive... In other words see if doing a frugal install and booting with grub or grub4dos will work as expected, rather than booting from the ISO...

Tote

#27 Post by Tote »

Hello stifling, just did a manual frugal instal on a Thinkpad T61, very impressive, thank you for this.

Using full version, Frisbee connected immediately, Firefox, Audacious, Viewnoir all working well.

I'm new to pacman, Arch etc, etc, but I like the clean-looking desktop/ overall appearance, neat and very functional.

I'm not a heavy user, browsing, e mail, photographs, music, etc, the usual things. Looking forward to using this distro and discovering more about it.

Thanks again!

musher0

#28 Post by musher0 »

Hello, stifiling.

I downloaded and tried your Sensei for non-PAE this afternoon.
I thought I would be getting more out of 342 Mb...

No spreadsheet, no word processor, and the pacman is nowhere to be found. Or am I cock-eyed?
What's taking so much space anyway ?

Also, no fallback console, no possibility of passing parameters at startup ? Hmm...
I understand a lot of work has gone in assembling your derivative. Still, I'm disappointed.

Respectfully,

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

stifiling

#29 Post by stifiling »

@Tote

thanks for the feedback.
musher0 wrote:Hello, stifiling.

I downloaded and tried your Sensei for non-PAE this afternoon.
I thought I would be getting more out of 342 Mb...

No spreadsheet, no word processor, and the pacman is nowhere to be found. Or am I cock-eyed?
What's taking so much space anyway ?

Also, no fallback console, no possibility of passing parameters at startup ? Hmm...
I understand a lot of work has gone in assembling your derivative. Still, I'm disappointed.

Respectfully,

musher0
The large size is pretty much due to the fact that every aspect of Puppy Linux has been meticulously examined and shrunk to be as small as possible, yet still functional. The same can't be said for Arch Linux. Puppy's icon themes are smaller, smbclient, etc. Also, a lot of the apps that puppy uses are written by users of the community with the goal of 'small as possible'. Frisbee, pnethood, pwireless, SNS, etc. Someone who uses Linux Mint, Ubuntu, or Arch....has never heard of those apps. Unless they use Puppy as well.

To tell you the truth, a Puppy user may look at Sensei and say, "WOW, that's HUGE!!" while an Arch user would say "WOW, that's SMALL!!". A default Arch installation, with 0 GUI apps....is over 500MB.

Another thing I'd like to help contribute to is, snapping Puppy Linux out of the, "Good for old computers" stereotype it currently has stapled to it. Every user I've ever asked in the Puppy Linux IRC chat room, uses Puppy Linux for specific sitiations (older computers, thumb drive, live CD rescue disk), and something else like, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Arch Linux on their main, newer, more expensive machine. I never liked that. I always felt a lil.....uncomfortable, having Puppy Linux on this computer, and Arch Linux on this other one. I always wanted the same system...on all of them. Including my thumb drive. Simply put...Puppy Linux is faster than Arch Linux. Which is why i used it on my older computer. Yet and still there were some apps that i wanted on that older computer...that wasn't available, and was hard as hell to compile. So i just lived without them. It's also hard as hell to do a frugal installation of Arch Linux on a thumb drive. It's easier to get those 'specific' apps installed, but still Arch is slower, and doing a frugal install and booting from an NTFS partition....a rocket scientist would have a hard time figuring it out.

Archpup was the system that solved all these issues, and that's why i based Sensei off of it.

Pacman is a console package manager. you have to install apps using the terminal. I'm working on adding PacmanExpress GUI to the 32bit isos. Also adding ctl+alt+backspace, to be able to easily exit X and get to a tty prompt. I left out the Office Suite type of applications. You can install, libreoffice, openoffice, gnumeric, abiword, etc....using pacman.

Thanks for trying it, and for the reply.

musher0

#30 Post by musher0 »

Hello, stifiling.

Thanks much for the explanation. I'll try again, keeping in mind your advice.

Best.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

efgee

#31 Post by efgee »

Didn't try your OS yet but will definately download it and give it a spin.

I've read that Arch based distros are rolling distro's and because of that they tend to break from time to time.
So I welcome your attempt to minimize brekage with using self contained sfs files - which I concur is a nice solution.

Also wanted to mention that Manjaro has nice graphical installer forked from Linux Mint and adapted for pacman.
Maybe you want to look into it and use it for your OS. So you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Now where is my download button...

Keep up the good work!

stifiling

#32 Post by stifiling »

@efgee

Appreciated! the installation procedure is not hard like Arch's installation, it's the same like how a lot of users would install Puppy. and that's by simply dragging and dropping the sfs files from the iso, onto their hard drive...and adding a grub entry to boot the system.

I added the pacmanexpress gui package manager and save file dialog to the other isos so they are now all the same.

I need someone with an ati card to try it out and let me know if 'X' is working. If not, hopefully help me nail down the solution to getting it working....then i'd feel comfortable removing the 'Testing' off the title.

If there's any other questions, or issues, or "what the heck is this?" type of thoughts....please leave feedback.

efgee

#33 Post by efgee »

Wanted to run the 64-bit version in Virtualbox, but the iso stopped running during install of the modules. Oh well...

Next, burned a real cd and it loaded fully (on real hardware).

Wow, it looks like the little brother of Manjaro, pretty cool. 8)

Didn't have much time to play with it but here some info:

Wi-Fi was not recognized, so it didn't work.
It's a Centrino Wireless-N 1000 BGN.

Also the cpu fan ran at high speeds most of the time.
But don't feel bad, Sensei64 is not the only distro where this happens.

If the kernel is the culprit:
Manjaro 0.8.5 doesn't have this problem, it has the 3.8.5 kernel.
Sensei64 uses the 3.0.3 kernel...

Will surely test more over the weekend.
(just need to get Wi-Fi working somehow...)

Good Job

stifiling

#34 Post by stifiling »

efgee wrote:Wi-Fi was not recognized, so it didn't work.
It's a Centrino Wireless-N 1000 BGN.
The other issues you mentioned, i'll see what can be done to hopefully get them resolved. Maybe trying a updated kernel just might do it. The isos work fine in my VirtualBox though.

This one that i have quoted is what's taking precedence at the moment. Do you know which module your wireless adapter usually uses? could you try the command:

iwconfig
and see if you see wlan0 or eth1. if not, try the commands:

modprobe iwlagn
iwconfig
and then see if wlan0 or eth1 shows up. if not then could you run the command:

dmesg
and see if there's any errors regarding iwlagn, or firmware, or anything that looks 'odd' and may be stopping the wireless adapter from reading...

meowcats

#35 Post by meowcats »

attempting to load savefile with latest PAE and non-PAE causes kernel panic...

btw I have an ATI 4850, and X works though it only loads VESA and not the radeon module... so I cannot use full 1920x1200 resolution.

Cannot get the save file to work at all, so i cannot add "radeon" to modules in rc.conf to test.

nancy reagan

kernel panic savefile

#36 Post by nancy reagan »

meowcats wrote:attempting to load savefile with latest PAE and non-PAE causes kernel panic...

btw I have an ATI 4850, and X works though it only loads VESA and not the radeon module... so I cannot use full 1920x1200 resolution.

Cannot get the save file to work at all, so i cannot add "radeon" to modules in rc.conf to test.
Same here; thought due my full noobness.

Made clean savefile, that is, after having done nothing went straight to "save file" 500mb ext3 etc.

stifiling

#37 Post by stifiling »

meowcats & nancy reagan,

kernel panic on loading the save file....i'm guessing u're booting from a external USB drive.....am i correct?

Marv

save file issues

#38 Post by Marv »

There were some save file issues resolved between alphaOS 1.0 and 2.0. They generally were with lack of persistance, not kernel panic related in my experience.

See here: http://alphaos.freeforums.org/savefile- ... l-t13.html
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

James C

#39 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install of the non-pae version on my trusty Athlon XP box. Zero problems so far. Working and correct display,sound and internet on initial boot. No problem with savefile.

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1) 

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1033MB (252MB used) 
Looking good so far.

meowcats

#40 Post by meowcats »

Yes external USB flash drive.