Puppy won't see my Sansa mp3 player (Solved)

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
circularL7

Puppy won't see my Sansa mp3 player (Solved)

#1 Post by circularL7 »

Hello,

Running Puppy 420 Turbo, I plugged my Sansa MP3 player into a USB, but nothing happened and the MP3 player was not listed under drives. What should I do?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I bought a Sansa Clip Zip mp3 player and discovered that Puppy can't see it. For some reason, probably stupidity, it has been designed so that only Windows can see it. Worse, there is no way to force Windows to load the files in an audio book so they play in the correct order. :evil:

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Your Sansa is probably in "MTP" mode, in which case it behaves quite differently than a conventional USB storage device.
If so, you need Gnomad2 -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21961

jrb

#4 Post by jrb »

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip ... d-p/254122

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWGIaMBDQ2s
Mac and Linux users can connect their Clip Zip in MSC or Auto Detect mode and follow the instructions below.

MSC mode instructions:

Turn on the Clip Zip
Navigate to Settings on the menu of the device
Scroll down to System Settings
Scroll Down to USB Mode
Select MSC

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Thanks, I'll try that. :D

jrb

#6 Post by jrb »

Flash wrote:I bought a Sansa Clip Zip mp3 player and discovered that Puppy can't see it. For some reason, probably stupidity, it has been designed so that only Windows can see it. Worse, there is no way to force Windows to load the files in an audio book so they play in the correct order. :evil:
Let me know if you still have a problem with playing in correct order. I have a bash script I use to load files on my Sansa clip sequentially. This was required by one of my previous players and I have continued to use it. (If it ain't broke)

Cheers, J

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Thanks, jrb. I've found that rsync -av does the job perfectly and is super fast as well. But Puppy has to see the stupid mp3 player in order for rsync (or bash) to do its work. :x

circularL7

#8 Post by circularL7 »

Changed MTP mode, and it worked. Thanks!

I haven't tried to load anything onto it yet. But I did check to make sure that it mounts.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Same here. In Settings -> System settings -> USB mode I found Auto detect was set by default. I changed that to MSC and now Puppy sees the Sansa player and mounts it. :D

circularL7

#10 Post by circularL7 »

Flash wrote:Same here. In Settings -> System settings -> USB mode I found Auto detect was set by default. I changed that to MSC and now Puppy sees the Sansa player and mounts it. :D
LOL. I'm tickled with Puppy. My antique does everything that I need it to do now.

circularL7

#11 Post by circularL7 »

Are any of you using Rockbox on your Sansa? What do you think of it?

anewuser

#12 Post by anewuser »

circularL7 wrote:Are any of you using Rockbox on your Sansa? What do you think of it?
Sansa c240 with 2gb of internal memory and 8gb of SD memory. Way better firmware than the original lol (cue sheet support, ogg playback, module formats and chipmusic). Games, emulators and other plugins I'm not interested inl. Eventual crashes unexpectedly, the player would just turn off even if on party mode but that's been a thing of the 3.11 upgrade. Before it, it never happened. Hadn't upgraded to 3.12.

Despite the crashes, I'd still (and I will still) continue to use permanently the rockbox firmware. Planning to upgrade my refurbished c240 and get an android system, which is where rockbox is focusing efforts towards lately.

OT, but meh.

circularL7

#13 Post by circularL7 »

I can live with occasional crashes for all the extra features. I got it working yesterday (no easy feat with the computer that I used) and am quite happy with so many options.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

CircularL7, you owe us an explanation of what you did to get Rockbox working on your computer. :wink:

circularL7

#15 Post by circularL7 »

Flash wrote:CircularL7, you owe us an explanation of what you did to get Rockbox working on your computer. :wink:
LOL; funny you should ask because it was nearly painful, and I thought that it was my inexperience causing the problem. To the best of my recollection, it went like this:

Running Wary 5.5 on an IBM R30 with a 900M Celeron processor and 128M of RAM, I created the directory that Rockbox advises (rbinstall, iirc). I put the rb utility, main rb file, rb pdf, and a sansa update in that directory. I couldn't get the rb utility to run, so I tried to do a manual install, but that wouldn't do anything either. The unzip program claimed that the files had been extracted, but nothing happened. I believe that I either unzipped the utility to the sansa or I unzipped just one of the utility files; whichever one I did, it went on its own from there.

(Edit)Slight correction: because I had recently ran the sansa updater, I tried to get away without the update. The utility stopped and required that I include an update file. I think I might have saved the update to the sansa.(End edit.)

I think that is what happened. It's tough to remember because, by the time that the installer ran, I was just hitting keys indifferently because I had nearly given up. (I was also dealing with a mouse problem.)

So, the utility runs, and it stopped rather abruptly. I don't recall a box stating that the download was complete or stating follow up directions. My recollection is that I was just confused. But, I like to experiment, so I just unplugged it and I might have cycled the power. When I disconnected it (or when the power came back on) it started writing. A few minutes later, Rockbox was running.

To jog my memory, if you like, post a screen shot of your trouble spot (I'm guessing that it's the same as mine.), and I'll tell you whatever I can remember.

On the topic of Rockbox: wow. It's a bit unwieldy at first because there's so many menus and menu options, but I read much of, and skimmed the rest of, the pdf guide, which is over 200 pages, and it's amazing. It's just beautiful. That's all I can say. It's absolutely beautiful.

This program is to MP3 players what Puppy is to computers for me. It is a tool that changes this world from one in which I must conform to the machines to a world in which the machines conform to me.

It's awe inspiring.

Another edit: it never worked on my machine. The installer ran on it but only to install the program in the player. Puppy sees the player, and Rox shows all the files as if it were any drive. I just copy files to the appropriate directory with Rox or a console.