Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 17:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 42 of 48 [710 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 Next
mistfire

PostPosted: Sat 06 Apr 2013, 20:11    Post subject: Reply  

@natgab yes, but on its final release. I hope that make it smaller ISO file size and improve further its interface.
popov

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr 2013, 13:02    Post subject:  

I have installed lxpup and using it but I didnt liek LXDE adn pcmanfm so i went back to rox/jwm combo. Is ther any way of removing lxde/pcmanfm now and remastering it back?
Volhout

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr 2013, 14:31    Post subject: lxde vs jwm  

Dear popov,

The main difference between Lxpup and it's base (Precise or Slacko) is that Jerome added LXDE (and other WM's).

If you enjoy JWM and ROX better, please use the standard puppy versions (i.e. Slacko 5.5).

Regards,

Volhout
popov

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2013, 01:11    Post subject:  

What I have found out, is a fact that he made gslapt work pretty well, and I couldn't get it working for Slacko/PHATSlacko. Mainly I am using LXPup because of that.

Also in beginning I had fun running dual Window Manger setup with LXDE being main one, but after some time I found LXDE lacking responsiveness of JWM even on lightest setup.
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr 2013, 00:43    Post subject: Remastering LXPUP problem  

I try to remaster the lxpup. I removed some builtin packages and replace with other packages. I Free up almost 30-40Mb size. but when I run the puppy remaster script instead of 160 or below Mb iso size (approx size of lxpup) that I expected, it bloats to 200+ Mb. Is there any method to remaster the lxpup to a smaller iso size?
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2013, 14:10    Post subject: slacko 5.5 plus LXDE plus FLWM !
Subject description: Poor JEJY69, i Use his distros at the edge.

I have just installed Fluppy 013 sfs ( load Sfs on the fly) on his back.
Exit to prompt, then xwin startflwm and an old distro is happy to drive a brand new computer.

As a matter of fact, i Have a Pupsave file with the original version of LXPUP.

A distro signed Jejy is a gage of quality,

Only a bug found, in Rox-filer, files are identified with an icon 'danger'
Can you see that ? ok JJ ?
Pelo

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2013, 06:01    Post subject: Connexion en Wifi driver wl (iwlwifi wext)
Subject description: Petite vidéo

Se connecter en Wifi
La LXPUP se connecte très bien en Wifi publique, mais le pilote wl ne suporte pas le cryptage. Pas grave. Il faut corriger les icônes des dossiers dans ROX-Filer.
Très bon travail, Jejy69, et tu est installé dans beaucoup de foyers.
Le public est seul juge et t'as plébiscité : que de téléchargement de cette LXPUP ! Bravo le jeune !

LXPUP is very well connected in public Wifi, but the encryption is not supported by the driver wl. Not a disaster.
It is necessary to correct the icons of files in ROX-Filer.

Very good job, Jejy69, and your LXPUP is installed in many homes.
The public is judge and approves by a large majority : What a lot of downloading of this LXPUP! Bravo young person!
Jejy69

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2013, 07:02    Post subject:  

Hello,

Beta 2 ready, ISO size reduced, see the first page please Smile.
I must go, I'll answer you in some hours.

Cheers !

mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2013, 09:24    Post subject:  

Although you remove firefox in lxpup, what is the alternative browser included in new lxpup version? or we should be download the browser first before we surf the web?

Its good that you trim some applications in order to reduce the ISO size. Keep up the good work to make it more smaller and more compact.
natgab

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2013, 13:50    Post subject:  

Hi Jerome!

Cool non-PAE version! Now I can test on my laptop. When I installed, on boot the screen was 800x600 (usuallly it finds the 1024x768) but the main error was that it showed the screen divided in half. Bottom half was black and the task bar was in the middle of the screen.

Pidgin 2.10.6 does not install complete yet through Gslapt. It says it needs the SSL library. I loaded the GIMP SFS without problems. WIFI worked perfect.

Firefox 19 installed using Puppy Pkg Manager, didn't work through Gslapt. I had tried installing FF20 and then also tried FF17 but couldn't get it to install with Gslapt.

EDIT:
Tried installing VLC 2.0.4 with Gslapt, would not work. Removed with Gslapt. Afterwards, Gnome player would not work. I think the upgraded video codecs did not uninstall?

X40 Thinkpad Laptop OS Lxpup 14 LXDE (nieces toy now)
xstylezx

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2013, 05:43    Post subject:  

Beta 2.1 still has driver issues. Needs zd1211rw wireless drivers. Beta 1 has the drivers and works just fine.

Since the new kernel update puppy package manager doesnt have a correct nvidia driver for me to download now. Also, what about devx and kernel sources?

Oh, another note is the message that pops up when connecting to wifi or saving ram to disk seems to bounce all over the place instead of popping up in bottom right corner every time, or maybe top center every time.

My last note is I'd love to get my video thumbnails going in these 13.04 versions, are there specific packages from gslapt I can install to get that going, or if not can you point me to the right packages to get the thumbnails in pcmanfm like you had in 13.01 full? Thanks so much!
Jejy69

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2013, 12:30    Post subject:  

Hello, Smile

Quote:
Although you remove firefox in lxpup, what is the alternative browser included in new lxpup version? or we should be download the browser first before we surf the web?

Its good that you trim some applications in order to reduce the ISO size. Keep up the good work to make it more smaller and more compact.

No alternative, just choose your favorite browser.
I'll try to reduce again the size, do you have some tips please ? Smile
Thanks,

Quote:
Hi Jerome!

Cool non-PAE version! Now I can test on my laptop. When I installed, on boot the screen was 800x600 (usuallly it finds the 1024x768) but the main error was that it showed the screen divided in half. Bottom half was black and the task bar was in the middle of the screen.

Pidgin 2.10.6 does not install complete yet through Gslapt. It says it needs the SSL library. I loaded the GIMP SFS without problems. WIFI worked perfect.

Firefox 19 installed using Puppy Pkg Manager, didn't work through Gslapt. I had tried installing FF20 and then also tried FF17 but couldn't get it to install with Gslapt.

EDIT:
Tried installing VLC 2.0.4 with Gslapt, would not work. Removed with Gslapt. Afterwards, Gnome player would not work. I think the upgraded video codecs did not uninstall?

I changed again the kernel ( 3.8.5 no PAE Wink , made by 01Micko ), in the beta 3, could you say me if it works correctly ? if it does not improve, I will come back to the first kernel.
Pidgin issue: It's because the dependencies list is not created. But, take a look again, I made a pidgin package with right deps ( pidgin-2.10.7-i486-1pup.txz ).
I don't understand your Firefox issue. In fact, I didn't found Firefox 19 package ? Just a tip: With Slackware, it's not 'Firefox', but 'mozilla-firefox'. Type this, and you'll find good packages. Smile
VLC ? Yes, it doesn't start with 'root' account, but it works.
I'll create a little post to show you how to start vlc. It's easy, the manipulation takes 2 minutes only.
Thanks Smile

Quote:

Beta 2.1 still has driver issues. Needs zd1211rw wireless drivers. Beta 1 has the drivers and works just fine.

Since the new kernel update puppy package manager doesnt have a correct nvidia driver for me to download now. Also, what about devx and kernel sources?

Oh, another note is the message that pops up when connecting to wifi or saving ram to disk seems to bounce all over the place instead of popping up in bottom right corner every time, or maybe top center every time.

My last note is I'd love to get my video thumbnails going in these 13.04 versions, are there specific packages from gslapt I can install to get that going, or if not can you point me to the right packages to get the thumbnails in pcmanfm like you had in 13.01 full? Thanks so much!

Could you try beta 3 please to check firmware issue ? Just in case, I create a package for this firmware. I'll take a look for video drivers too.
I'm not effective at all because drivers, kernel, compiling drivers .... All that is new to me, but I learn a lot with this.
About Thumbnails ? I'll list the 'ingredients' needed to achieve this result.
Thank you all for your patience. Very Happy

Jejy69

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2013, 12:31    Post subject:  

Beta 3 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkmatelxde/files/Lxpup-13.04/lxpup-13.04-beta3.iso/download
xstylezx

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2013, 15:22    Post subject:  

Beta 3 still isn't connecting wifi for me. Missing the zd1211rw drivers still. Beta 1 and all of your previous lxpup releases have had the driver.lol I have the folder with the drivers saved from a previous release of yours so i can modprobe them and get online that way, it's just not ideal.

Thanks for ingredients on video thumbnails, sounds delicious! Laughing

Also thanks for Lxpup 13.04, i love glsapt being included!
Jejy69

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2013, 15:29    Post subject:  

Damn ... Thank you for your quick response.
Do you think if I add the firmware directly to the ISO it will work out of the box ?

Quote:
i love glsapt being included!

Wow thank you, I was afraid to bring the wrath of the forum ... Laughing

Page 42 of 48 [710 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: