Puppy *Default Cursor* theme question

Booting, installing, newbie
anikin

Puppy *Default Cursor* theme question

#1 Post by anikin »

Where does puppy store its default cursor theme?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by anikin on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

mill0001

#2 Post by mill0001 »

Hi: you'll find them at

usr/local/lib/X11/themes and usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps.

Have fun.

anikin

#3 Post by anikin »

Hi mill0001,

Unfortunately, I can't find them there. Perhaps, they get installed in those directories, but I need the default one.

anikin

#4 Post by anikin »

The closest I've come so far in my search is the following:
4.3.2. What Themes Are Available by Default?

Unfortunately, Linux distributions vary considerably as to where they store the default cursor themes. If the documentation for your Linux distribution doesn't tell you where to find these themes, you can use a trick to find out where your particular distribution looks for cursor themes. Generally, the file you want to examine is /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl. Check to see if the file exists with the ls command:

# ls /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl

If the response is "No such file or directory," you might be able to find the file with the following command:

# locate Imake.tmpl

If this file does not exist on your system, you're going to have to find another way to locate where your distribution stores globally available cursor themes. A Google search or browsing online forums specific to your distribution are good places to start.

If this file does exist on your system, this command should help you determine the default locations where your distribution stores cursor themes:
Code View: Scroll / Show All

$ grep XcursorPath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl
# ifndef XcursorPath
# define XcursorPath "~/.cursors:~/.icons:/usr/local/share/cursors/xorg-x11:/usr/
share/cursors/xorg-x11:/usr/share/pixmaps/xorg-x11"
#ifndef XcursorPath
# define XcursorPath Concat(~/.cursors:~/.icons:/usr/local/share/cursors/xorg-x11:/
usr/share/cursors/xorg-x11:/usr/share/pixmaps/xorg-x11:,IconDir)
XCURSORPATH = XcursorPath /* Xcursor cursors path */

The useful information is the first line that includes define XcursorPath. Notice that this particular distribution (Gentoo) defines the XcursorPath to search the following directories:

~/.cursors
~/.icons
/usr/local/share/cursors/xorg-x11
/usr/share/cursors/xorg-x11
/usr/share/pixmaps/xorg-x11
see more here:http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/op ... p-4-sect-3

However, even this explanation as comprehensive as it seems to be, didn't help me find the default cursor theme in Puppy. Maybe, it's hidden somewhere in initrd?

Burunduk

#5 Post by Burunduk »

The simple black & white cursor theme is actually a cursor font. The cursor.pcf file should be here: /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/
or here: /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc/.

If you want, you can edit this file with the gbdfed editor and pcf-bdf converters: pcf2bdf and bfdtopcf. (Puppy already has the latter).

anikin

#6 Post by anikin »

Hi Burunduk,

Thank you very much for your explanation. It was an eye-opener.

I saw those .pcf fonts a thousand times and tripped on them while doing my search... And yes, I want to edit the default theme, instead of installing a new one. Basically I'm doing this to replace the black pointer with a white one and a couple more glyphs.

Did a quick search for gbdfed, found and installed it and here's how the default Puppy cursor looks from inside:
Attachments
cursor_default.jpg
(97.65 KiB) Downloaded 811 times

vovchik

Gbdfed pet

#7 Post by vovchik »

Dear guys,

Here is a pet for gbdfed that I made today. I tried compiling from source but got a weird getline error which I didn't really want to investigate, so I used the Lucid deb and reconfigured it. It has a menu entry under "Graphics". It works fine on my Lucid machine and should work in all recent 32-bit puppies. I UPX'd the binary to reduce its size.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
gbdfed_1.5-1.pet
(169.12 KiB) Downloaded 271 times