SMath

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
kerl

SMath

#1 Post by kerl »

Hi I'm new in Linux. Puppy's performance is impressive on my old 1gb ram laptop.
I tried a distribution with windows installer called "Puppy-Linux-540-Firefox" (Slacko) all went smooth except installing one of my favorite programs:
SMath is an alternative to Mathcad which uses Mono.
This is the download link for SMath:
http://en.smath.info/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1447

So I searched "mono" on the Puppy package manager and installed it, then I downloaded Smath and run its .exe from the console: mono smath.exe
And I was faced with the following problem: abrupt exit when trying to activate menus leaving dividing zero errors messages on the console.

I tried several Puppy distros without success to run Smath.
A pity because I like Puppy, just occupies a few hundred megabytes and can run totally in ram. It is even responsive on Virtualbox with just a meager 1gb ram.

Would it be possible to revise Mono so that Smath can work on Puppy ?
I guess it must be an issue about dependencies.
Thanks.

L18L

Re: SMath

#2 Post by L18L »

kerl wrote:...So I searched "mono" on the Puppy package manager and installed it, ...
My search on momo brings up a lot of monos

What exactly did you install?

kerl

#3 Post by kerl »

L18L wrote: My search on momo brings up a lot of monos

If I remember, in Slacko there was only one result, and in Precise I installed "mono-complete"

L18L

#4 Post by L18L »

kerl wrote:
L18L wrote: My search on momo brings up a lot of monos

If I remember, in Slacko there was only one result, an in Lucid I installed "mono-complete"
amk wrote:Mimis,
On Linux you need to install the package "libmono-winforms-2.0-cil" (or equivalent, on Ubuntu it's called libmono-winforms2.0-cil). To run SMath:
Open a terminal and cd into the directory where you extracted the SMath archive. Run mono SMathStudio_Desktop.exe and SMath will open up.
quoted from :
http://en.smath.info/forum/yaf_postsm88 ... x#post8862

I did exactly what amk adviced and I have SMath Studio running in Puppy Precise 5.5 now 8)

Code: Select all

# pwd
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/opt/smath
# mono SMathStudio_Desktop.exe
So try again please
There is no reason to build something special

kerl

#5 Post by kerl »

what package for mono did you install exactly?

kerl

#6 Post by kerl »

Please tell me exactly which is the package you installed,
I've just tried Precise 5.5 (windows installer not the iso) and installed:
"libmono-winforms2.0-cil_2.10.8.1"
Once I run Smath I am faced with the same problem: abrupt exit when trying to activate menus leaving dividing zero errors messages on the console.

Edit:
Did you install the last precise 5.5 iso from the quircky directory ?
if so, that version is pae incompatible with my cpu.
did you try to open the examples from the help menu in smath ?

L18L

SMath

#7 Post by L18L »

kerl wrote:what package for mono did you install exactly?

Code: Select all

# grep ^libmono-winforms user-installed-packages
libmono-winforms2.0-cil_2.10.8.1|libmono-winforms2.0-cil|2.10.8.1|1ubuntu2.2|Develop|3355K|pool/main/m/mono|libmono-winforms2.0-cil_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb|+libc6&ge2.15,+libmono-accessibility2.0-cil&ge1.0,+libmono-corlib2.0-cil&ge2.6.3,+libmono-posix2.0-cil&ge2.4,+libmono-system-data2.0-cil&ge2.6.3,+libmono-system-web2.0-cil&ge2.10.3,+libmono-system2.0-cil&ge2.10.3,+libmono-webbrowser2.0-cil&ge1.0,+libx11-6,+libgdiplus,+libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil|Mono System.Windows.Forms library for CLI 2.0|ubuntu|precise||
#

libmono-winforms2.0-cil_2.10.8.1
and its 27 dependencies

L18L

SMath

#8 Post by L18L »

kerl wrote:did you try to open the examples from the help menu in smath ?
Yes successfully see picture
kerl wrote:...Did you install the last precise 5.5 iso from the quircky directory ?
if so, that version is pae incompatible with my cpu.
If you are sure that you have loaded the dependencies
I suggest you try it with Pemasu's 'Upup Precise'
/usr/share/doc/release-Precise-5.5.htm wrote:Upup Precise
The kernel remains at 3.2.29, although there are later in the 3.2.x series. I decided to stay at that version for now, due to the number of third-party kernel drivers compiled for it.
The kernel is PAE-enabled, which means that there are some early i686-class CPUs that will not boot -- this time I have not provided a non-PAE build of Precise Puppy -- instead, our Puppy enthusiast 'pemasu' has been building variants of Precise Puppy with recent kernels (3.7, 3.8) and non-PAE.
Attachments
smath.png
working example
(34.46 KiB) Downloaded 997 times

kerl

#9 Post by kerl »

I've just tried that Pemasu's distribution as well as his last work:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83699
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1408919778
But sadly, both don't detect wlan networks so I can't access my wireless connection.

I wonder if Smath could work for you in Slacko where there is only one package to install Mono and not multiple dependencies.

And yes, I installed "libmono-winforms2.0-cil_2.10.8.1" on Precise 5.5 windows installer version, the same as you with dependencies (checked that I had installed nearly all packages found in the repository involving mono).

Thanks for sharing that Smath works on the last Precise 5.5 official version.

Would you be so kind as to check one last thing?
It has to do with problems on Smath when loading images in certain circumstances, something related with the library libpng.
Could you open the smath file attached on this post and see if it loads the image? thanks

L18L

SMath

#10 Post by L18L »

image not loaded.

Maybe I will look into slacko tomorrow

Cheers
Attachments
smath_img.png
(9.22 KiB) Downloaded 913 times

L18L

smath

#11 Post by L18L »

kerl wrote:...I wonder if Smath could work for you in Slacko where there is only one package to install Mono and not multiple dependencies....
Sorry I am too stupid to find the "only one package to install Mono"
so I have been compiling mono 2.11.4 from source.
# mono SMathStudio_Desktop.exe

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: gdiplus.dll
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Drawing.GDIPlus:GdiplusStartup (ulong&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupInput&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupOutput&)
at System.Drawing.GDIPlus..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Drawing.Graphics.FromHdcInternal (IntPtr hdc) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.SetDisplay (IntPtr display_handle) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.GetInstance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.EnableVisualStyles () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at .. (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: gdiplus.dll
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Drawing.GDIPlus:GdiplusStartup (ulong&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupInput&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupOutput&)
at System.Drawing.GDIPlus..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Drawing.Graphics.FromHdcInternal (IntPtr hdc) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.SetDisplay (IntPtr display_handle) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.GetInstance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.EnableVisualStyles () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at .. (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
#

BTW,
I am think the problem is not SMath but Mono.............
...there are already some threads about mono.

...make uninstall now returning to GPL software :lol:

kerl

#12 Post by kerl »

:( strange I thought it was related to some quirky hardware driver.
haha dont get your joke
Thank you very much for your help!!
Cheers

kerl

Re: smath

#13 Post by kerl »

L18L wrote: Sorry I am too stupid to find the "only one package to install Mono"
so I have been compiling mono 2.11.4 from source.
I forgot to mention that in Slacko you find one single package for mono searching for "mono" in the package manager : mono-3.0.0
Besides you must install "libgdiplus"