I have installed lupu-528jp, need to change to Lucid Puppy 5

Booting, installing, newbie
RobertDatar

I have installed lupu-528jp, need to change to Lucid Puppy 5

#1 Post by RobertDatar »

Is there some way to replace lupu-528jp with lucid puppy 528.05? I installed it on a multibooot Dell GX270. (XP,2000,XP(2) ) Newbe mistake.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey robert

welcome aboard

find the folder with 528jp in and delete it - that's now 'uninstalled'

install lucid and re-run grub4dos

:)

RobertDatar

OS hell

#3 Post by RobertDatar »

thanks. I tried ubuntu and have trashed my system. It didnt go away until i reinstalled xp over it. now the whole 4 drives are messed up.
I need to install a genuine XP and somehow recover what I can from the now 6 possible boots, one of which works, sort of.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Don't install anything else. Installing risks doing more damage to the data you hope to recover. Boot Puppy from a CD (with puppy pfix=ram boot option if you have a Save file already on a hard disk) and tell us what you can see.

RobertDatar

fixing PC files

#5 Post by RobertDatar »

please tell me just how to do that. I have had to download programs to make an iso bootable disk in addition to the puppy iso which took quite a while to download. The list of files needed for the DVD took a lot of reading and some guess work. There were three large files in the folder and several small ones. Turns out that I only needed one. Being a noobe how would I know? I read many pages about the development of puppy to figure it out.
Now, how do I run a command line in puppy. I'm in it now and it all seems to work so far. I have not been successful at setting up my hotmail account so that mail will download it. I use the browser, Mozilla.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

So you burned a Puppy CD and booted it, but didn't try to install it yet? When you shut down, did you choose to make a Save file?

RobertDatar

Noobe with live cd

#7 Post by RobertDatar »

I only used the live CD. I did not install the puppy os on the HD. I thought that the whole exercise was to avoid further corruption which all began as an attempt to get rid of a corrupted or otherwise non-booting Ubuntu.

What next? At least now I can use my computer . I tried to save my puppy session to the live iso but was not successful. I am using a 4.7GB DVD+R. Should puppy be able to add to the .iso? How do I straighten out my hard drives and get xp, the original, back? MS already has me flagged as using a copy of XP that is not genuine. I had Belarc print out my system before the whole mess occurred so i still have license numbers.

Thank You

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

You did good so far. :) How did you burn the Puppy DVD? It has to be burned the right way before it will work as a multisession, that is, before you can save to the DVD.

Now that you have a working Puppy DVD, if it has access to the Puppy iso you used to burn it, you can burn another DVD using Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd which will be a multisession DVD. Then boot that Puppy DVD and it can save back to itself. Use a rewritable DVD if you have one, so you don't keep making coasters.

Once you've got Puppy straightened out, we can work on saving what's on the hard disk drive. Don't do anything yet; Puppy will leave it alone.

RobertDatar

questions about burning an .iso "the right way"

#9 Post by RobertDatar »

John,
I think that I am making coasters. It seems that Puppy will write on its launch DVD once then wants new blanks. I can't have 4.7GB on a save. I don't have that much memory.

I am using Memorex CD+R 4.7GB/Go blanks.The DVD is a HPO dvd1270.

Do I need to open a CMD window in Puppy?

Last night MS installed 17 updates and I still get a windows not genuine nag screen.
The main driveC: is now my program drive and is touchy about beeing even looked at. I believe that my partitions have been re-numbered. And Puppy has yet another system of identifying hard drives.
Is there still hope that I can recover 5 years of work and programs that I no longer have access to?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: questions about burning an .iso "the right way"

#10 Post by Flash »

RobertDatar wrote:John,
I think that I am making coasters. It seems that Puppy will write on its launch DVD once then wants new blanks. I can't have 4.7GB on a save. I don't have that much memory.
What program are you using to burn Puppy DVDs? Can you find a DVD+RW to use? Is this a laptop you're booting the multisession DVDs in?
Do I need to open a CMD window in Puppy?
No.
Is there still hope that I can recover 5 years of work and programs that I no longer have access to?
There's still hope to save your work. I can't say about Windows programs. You don't need a multisession Puppy to access hard disk drives and copy stuff from them. The Puppy you already have will work fine for that. Do you have an external (USB) storage device, a hard disk or flash drive, that can hold everything you want to save?

Karl Godt

#11 Post by Karl Godt »

Din't know if there is hope, but the icon on the Puppy Desktop labeled "console" opens the commandline .

There I would enter "probepart" <Enter> like so :

Code: Select all

probepart
which should present all partitions in your computer disk drives that are recognized by the Linux/Puppy kernel .

Then you can mount them eventually and copy the contents onto an external attached 2TB (max if not 64-bit Puppy deerivate) USB-HDD .

Command line cp is faster on huge amounts than the file manager to copy .

RobertDatar

partitions may be OK

#12 Post by RobertDatar »

Karl,
I don't have an external HD. It looks like the real problem is that most all of the .exe files have vanished. Where are they? Can the whole thing be restored?