LazY Puppy 2.0.2 Final - a Paradise Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
R-S-H

#581 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

I have to make an addition to this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 125#693125 (Post updated on: 2013-04-06)

There is a small issue when editing the initrd.gz to increase the ability of LazY Puppy to load more than 6 SFS files at boot up. Inside the initrd.gz are 10 loop devices in /dev - but there are only 9 pup_ro directories in /initrd. So, all who made some work on this must edit the initrd.gz again and create the pup_ro10 directory in /initrd manually.

Then everything should be working fine!

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

the last saviour

#582 Post by the last saviour »

Lieber Herr RSH;
Thank for JWF.sfs file. It's faster to work in Puppy than Winslow.
JWF only need Java6 to run.

How long did it take for you to make this SFS file?
Do you want to make some more?

The rendering problem occured because JWF put the intermediated file in the save folder. But show the one you want in the pop up window. To save this one you MUST MAXIMIZE that window, then click File---Save, and replace that intermediated file. Caution don't minimize this window, otherwise you will waste your time rendering it again. :-(
I think there's something wrong with Puppy while Java running. It often makes the DVDRom run and increase the CPU temp up to 105C. It also happens in browser with javascript enable. After I delete the suspected java file, no strange behavior happened. I guess that some line in some Java script is harmful to Puppy!

Viele dank.
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

R-S-H

#583 Post by R-S-H »

Lieber Herr RSH;
Thank for JWF.sfs file. It's faster to work in Puppy than Winslow.
JWF only need Java6 to run.

How long did it take for you to make this SFS file?
Do you want to make some more?
You can do a right-click onto the WildFire SFS and choose 'Add dependencies'. Remove the added Java Dependenciy from list and add your preferred Java SFS file.

It takes mostly a few minutes to build the SFS file plus a few minutes to edit the .desktop file (menu entry), to make sure the icon will be found and to have a german menu entry. So, complete procedure is mostly done in less than 30 minutes.

If you got some links and I could get this files to work in LazY Puppy, I surely would like to make some more SFS files!
The rendering problem occured because JWF put the intermediated file in the save folder. But show the one you want in the pop up window. To save this one you MUST MAXIMIZE that window, then click File---Save, and replace that intermediated file. Caution don't minimize this window, otherwise you will waste your time rendering it again.
I've tried a lot with different images using different colors - always the same red image is saved. It looks like it is a negative image. Thanks for the tip. Will try this later tonight.
I think there's something wrong with Puppy while Java running. It often makes the DVDRom run and increase the CPU temp up to 105C. It also happens in browser with javascript enable. After I delete the suspected java file, no strange behavior happened. I guess that some line in some Java script is harmful to Puppy!
Can't say anything on that, except: I did never notice such behavior of a Java SFS file.

Thanks for the reply

RSH

R-S-H

#584 Post by R-S-H »

The rendering problem occured because JWF put the intermediated file in the save folder. But show the one you want in the pop up window. To save this one you MUST MAXIMIZE that window, then click File---Save, and replace that intermediated file. Caution don't minimize this window, otherwise you will waste your time rendering it again.
Yes, this works. Thanks a lot!

I just did not notice there is a menu after rendering the image...

This (JWildFire) is really a nice program. It will increase the number of my own created wallpapers, of course! :)

Gnuxo

#585 Post by Gnuxo »

I haven't been on this laptop for a while, I'm back on Lazy and I decided that I'd best update the flash player.

I downloaded the newest dotpets off these forums and decided it would be quicker that way. But when I click on them, I get an error saying that there's a wrong password or I'm not running as advanced user...

I don't think there's supposed to be a password. And I don't know what it is.
I can't get it to stop asking for one.

I tried making an .sfs from the flashplayer.pet but that doesn't seem to actually install.

I don't know what's going on.

R-S-H

#586 Post by R-S-H »

Gnuxo wrote:I haven't been on this laptop for a while, I'm back on Lazy and I decided that I'd best update the flash player.

I downloaded the newest dotpets off these forums and decided it would be quicker that way. But when I click on them, I get an error saying that there's a wrong password or I'm not running as advanced user...

I don't think there's supposed to be a password. And I don't know what it is.
I can't get it to stop asking for one.

I tried making an .sfs from the flashplayer.pet but that doesn't seem to actually install.

I don't know what's going on.
The message about wrong password or not running in user mode advanced usually happens only if you are running the LazY Puppy in user mode for kids, beginner or intermediary. In menu workstation (below the LazY Puppy Help menu) you can activate the user modes (do activate user mode advanced - if it says, it is already running, activate any other user mode and after this do activate user mode advanced). LazY Puppy usually boots into user mode for advanced users ---> except one did remaster the LazY Puppy in any other user mode or one is using a save file and did shut down with any other user mode activated than advanced.

Did you do something of this?

Btw.: the password is LazYPuppy2, which is needed also for the LazY Puppy Menu Suite. The password file is: /usr/local/new-user-menu/data/puppy-user-mode.

If you are using the LP2_Firefox7.sfs and trying to load the new flash player from another sfs file, it wouldn't work because of the flash player included in the LP2_Firefox7.sfs - try to put the new flash player in there (but backup the LP2_Firefox7.sfs first).

Let me know the results, please.

R-S-H

#587 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

I don't know if anyone meanwhile has noticed a small issue with the VarioMenu which has been made by SFR and der-schutzhund.

I did decide to put the VarioMenu into LazY Puppy and just made the GUI to configure the VarioMenu comfortably. This small issue is when double clicking WBar Icons for VarioMenu accidentally.

It could destroy the Icon selection and maybe also the wallpaper ---> here is a fix by der-schutzhund to avoid this event.

It is a fake .gz file. Remove the fake .gz, make executable and put it into /usr/local/variomen.

RSH

R-S-H

#588 Post by R-S-H »

Sorry, Gnuxo and others!

The password file is not /usr/local/new-user-menu/data/puppy-user-mode

The password file is: /usr/local/new-user-menu/data/puppy-pw

I don't know how this could happen! :lol:

RSH

AndyOpie150

#589 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Thanks for including my wireless adapter cards driver. First time in any Linux distro (Including stock Puppy's). Now I can use WPA instead of just WEP thru ndiswrapper.

Question; Where are the Conky files kept. I need to edit. Take out the graphical cpu monitor and add a network upload and download bar.

Also: The Puppy Space graph/bar doesn't show the true space available on my ext.3 formated 16GB Flash drive (Only showing. just under 1GB). The stock indicator in the task bar does though.

Everything else is ok, except it would be nice if the favorites and task bar diplayed just installed applications on the desktop. Kind of annoying to click on an application only to find it's not installed..

R-S-H

#590 Post by R-S-H »

AndyOpie150 wrote:Thanks for including my wireless adapter cards driver. First time in any Linux distro (Including stock Puppy's). Now I can use WPA instead of just WEP thru ndiswrapper.

Question; Where are the Conky files kept. I need to edit. Take out the graphical cpu monitor and add a network upload and download bar.

Also: The Puppy Space graph/bar doesn't show the true space available on my ext.3 formated 16GB Flash drive (Only showing. just under 1GB). The stock indicator in the task bar does though.

Everything else is ok, except it would be nice if the favorites and task bar diplayed just installed applications on the desktop.
Hi.

Thank you for downloading LazY Puppy! :)

I don't know if it was done by myself to include the your wireless adapter cards driver. Could be included by default in the Lucid528-4, from which LazY Puppy is made of.

The data of the PWidgets is in /root/.pwidgets (which is a hidden directory, click on the "eye" in ROX filer toolbar to shw hidden files), the program itself is in /usr/local/pwidgets. To modify the pwidgets settings run PWidgets from Menu Desktop Settings.

Problems of pwidgets drawing the true data a German user did solve by a small script in /root/Startup executing this script:

Code: Select all

if [ "$(which pwidgets)" ];then  ## if pwidgets installed, for updating in fixwidgets
	export UPDATE_SIDEBAR=true
	fixwidgets -wallpaper_setter &
fi
If you are executing LazY Puppy Online Updater (Menu LazY Puppy) it will offer two PET files to update the LazY Puppy. One of theses PET files includes the new Favorites Manager to edit easily the menu entries shown in menu Favorites.
AndyOpie150 wrote:Kind of annoying to click on an application only to find it's not installed..
This is how it is intended to be. Most of the applications shown in the menu are not installed. They are available as SFS files and do download automatically at first use. They download directly to the boot directory (install directory) of LazY Puppy in will be executed right after downloaded. Please, make sure the boot drive (boot partition) is mounted before downloading.

You can use all those programs from SFS without the need to install a program or to use a personal storage file (save file). Loading SFS files manually is not necessary in LazY Puppy because all these applications are executed by a RunScript which does the whole job by clicking the applications menu entry.

LazY Puppy offers currently more than 200 SFS files and also all needed tools to create your own SFS files and RunScripts to run these programs by RunScript as well.

I do have currently 338 SFS files inside my boot directory for the use of 494 programs executed by RunScripts. At home I don't use a save file to 100% !!!

RSH

AndyOpie150

#591 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Thanks for all the great info.
All things now make sense.
Will have to wait till 3G is better to install SFS files (Phones 3G and it's hotspot function is my computers only connection source). Must have some solar flare ups.

R-S-H

#592 Post by R-S-H »

No need to wait.

You can download these SFS files manually from another computer and transferring via USB flash drive to your personal computer - just copy the SFS files into the boot directory (install directory) of your LazY Puppy installation.

That's all!

AndyOpie150

#593 Post by AndyOpie150 »

So in theory, when 3G at house is bad, all I would need to do is take phone to WiFi source and download to phone. Then transfer to computer once back at house.
Works for me.
Thanks again.

R-S-H

#594 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

I have found something that may interesting users who did make their LazY Puppy able to load more than 6 SFS files at boot up.

In file /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy, line 66:

Code: Select all

SFSPoints=$( grep -o "/initrd/pup_ro[1-9]" /proc/mounts |sort -u ) #110206 Dougal: get a list of the sfs mountpoints
I think it's useful to change [1-9] to [1-103] if you have added pup_ro directories and loop devices up to 103 - f.e.

Found this line right now while searching for useful code to use it in my Personal Data SFS Management - which is a replacement for the usual puppy save file in my LazY Puppy 3 setup.

As always: I do recommend to do these changes with a fresh running LazY Puppy, RAM, no save file used. After doing the remaster mount your save file with left-click action onto it and check if /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy is existing - if: replace it (copy into the save file, open terminal, type sync into the terminal, press enter and unmount the save file), otherwise do unmount and reboot.

RSH

AndyOpie150

#595 Post by AndyOpie150 »

New to most everything Puppy. Used to everything Ubuntu (currently using Xubuntu 12.04).
Having some difficulty wrapping my brain around how to use the SFS files and the RUN scripts you are talking about. Is there a spot on informative tutorial somewhere?

Can I just add the SFS files to the .iso then burn to CD (I'm using CD-RW's). Will probably just use the single SFS files to keep everything as light as possible. I'm trying to set up a Android Kernel and App build environment on a 16GB flash drive.

Will also need the Java jdk6 in an SFS form (a lot of my development applications depend on it).
I did notice the eclipse/sdk sfs (a must have for me). I also need to set up the adb.exe globally in Lazy Puppy as well.

Thanks for all the help you have given to this Puppy newbie. Woof!

R-S-H

#596 Post by R-S-H »

Having some difficulty wrapping my brain around how to use the SFS files and the RUN scripts you are talking about. Is there a spot on informative tutorial somewhere?
Hi.

It's usually really simple to create RunScripts from SFS files. Just do a right-click onto the SFS and choose: Create RunScript.

In Menu Guides there are some Information about this: look for SFS P.L.U.S.
Can I just add the SFS files to the .iso then burn to CD (I'm using CD-RW's). Will probably just use the single SFS files to keep everything as light as possible.
Yes, this should work, but after loading an SFS you can't unmount the CD drive!

The SFS SUites (the big ones) are not really needed anymore. They are from the first version of LazY Puppy ever (528-4), which came along only with this ten big SFS Suites.

Will also need the Java jdk6 in an SFS form
There are several diferent Java SFS files to download at my repository at smokey01.com.
I also need to set up the adb.exe globally in Lazy Puppy as well.
What is adb.exe?

RSH

AndyOpie150

#597 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Sorry, I was talking about the adb.exe that is in the platform-tools folder of the Android SDK. I saw the eclipse/sdk combo SFS in your repo.
In order to give Android Phones shell commands from a computer you need to use the android debug bridge. These commands are necessary for ROM and app development, as well as the fastboot commands which are used for kernel development (fastboot.exe is in the same folder as the adb.exe).

I didn't see the Java jdk6 in your repo.

If I link you to the Java jdk6, the linux version of APK-Multi-Tool, the linux version of QtADB, and Droid@Screen, could you make an SFS for each? These are all very necessary for what I need to accomplish.

Edit: Also need a SFS for a very good XML editor and 7zip or something like it.
Link to Java jdk-6u45: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 02814.html
Link to QtADB: Linux version http://goo.gl/LGBwK
Link to APK-Multi-Tool: Linux version http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1808319 this needs the linux program SOX installed to work properly.
Link to Droid@Screen: http://droid-at-screen.ribomation.com/

Maybe you could come up with a total Android Development SFS. I could help as best I can.
Last edited by AndyOpie150 on Sun 12 May 2013, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

R-S-H

#598 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.
Sorry, I was talking about the adb.exe that is in the platform-tools folder of the Android SDK. I saw the eclipse/sdk combo SFS in your repo.
In order to give Android Phones shell commands from a computer you need to use the android debug bridge. These commands are necessary for ROM and app development, as well as the fastboot commands which are used for kernel development (fastboot.exe is in the same folder as the adb.exe).
Ok, I see now.
I didn't see the Java jdk6 in your repo.
Yes, such things can happen, since there's a lot of stuff available.
If I link you to the Java jdk6, the linux version of APK-Multi-Tool, the linux version of QtADB, and Droid@Screen, could you make an SFS for each? These are all very necessary for what I need to accomplish.
Ok, let's see...

If you would just post links to the main pages and I would have to do all the searches for the files and the dependencies (that might be needed) and to download everything...

...of course not (you'll need to know: I'm a German and doing jobs like searching on the web (on English pages), thinking, writing English etc. needs mostly doubled time and beyond...)

If you would provide all the links to all the needed files (directly to download or directly to the download site) and I would have to click only onto a link to download...

...I would give it a try.
Also need a SFS for a very good XML editor.
Actually I can not even name a single one, sorry.
Maybe you could come up with a total Android Development SFS. I could help as best I can.
Yeah, this surely would be a challenge for me to do - since I love to do new things and to learn new things as well. But -beside I don't use any stuff like smart phones- I do not have enough time to start and lead such huge project again.

I did this in the past for about one complete year to work mainly on a program that I did not need at this time (but use it heavily today) suggested by a German user. My bash knowledge was near zero, so I'd had to learn a lot. In the end I did extend this to be a collection of tools to be able to create and edit SFS files, convert them and creating RunScripts from it etc.pp. and this is now known as the LazY Puppy SFS P.L.U.S. - the (P)owerful (L)ive (U)ser (S)ystem!

It was fun, of course, but really really a whole lot of hard work with long termed working processes up to 40 hours in a row (did have the time, then) - you know: you can't stop working, when you're in the "flow"!

Of course, when I'm able to offer some help on your project, I might try a little, from time to time.

RSH

R-S-H

#599 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

I've build an SFS from jdk-6u45-linux-i586.bin, set it as dependent SFS for LP2_WildFire-0.67r3.sfs, created a new RunScript for LP2_WildFire-0.67r3.sfs and tried to execute the WildFire application from the menu - works out of the box (see image)!

The LP2_jdk1.6.0_45.sfs is about 70 MB!

---

The application QtADB will not work in LazY Puppy!

It needs libc-2.15.so, LazY Puppy has libc-2.11.1.so. There is a symbolic link, libc.so.6 which goes to libc-2.11.1.so in LazY Puppy, but QtADB wants this for libc-2.15.so. After installing libc-2.15.so and symbolic link libc.so.6 urxvt/rxvt (terminal) fails to execute (and surely some other applications as well) - I'm sure: this will crash the LazY Puppy!

I think you would need a newer Puppy for this project. Maybe you'll get better results when using a precise puppy (which uses libc-2.15.so by default install).

RSH
Attachments
image-2.jpg
Running with LP2_jdk1.6.0_45.sfs added
(106.27 KiB) Downloaded 481 times

AndyOpie150

#600 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Good thing there is google translate.

I do appreciate all your help and info. Thanks for the Java jdk6 SFS.
I really like LazYPuppy, especially now that I understand it's concept better. I will keep it and see what I can install.

Maybe I'll buy another flash drive and put Puppy Precise on that one.

Could you explain in a little more detail how to add an SFS file to LazY Puppy. Didn't see what you mentioned the first time. Tried a few things that didn't work (I'm an idiot when it comes to new tbings, till I'm locked in).
In sdb1 I see:
Folders:
dev
etc
initrd
lib
root
usr
var

Documents:
boot.msg
extlinux.conf
help1.msg-help5.msg
initrd.gz
ldlinux.sys
logo.16
StArtLPx2_202.sfs
vmlinux

I poked around in the folders but didn't see a boot directory/folder

Also QtADB isn't that important right now. It just lets me drag and drop files/folders from my desktop to any file/folder on the phone without having to give shell commands.
If I can get the Android SDK and APK-Multi-Multi-Tool, and eclipse working then I'm headed in the right directions. These will at least let me Port ROM's from any phone with the same DPI as mine, and work on applications.

Edit: When you say boot directory, are you talking about the root of the flash drive? I think I fingured it out. I right clicked on an SFS I put there and choose the LP2 load which threw up a big warning. Backed out and tried the SFS load which gave the same warning. Went back to the first one some hours later and threw caution to the wind and selected the LP2 load. After install it gave me more warnings about possibly not installing all files.
Man! I sure wish there was a less stressful way to do this.