pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
PANZERKOPF

#341 Post by PANZERKOPF »

goingnuts wrote: Also looked again at links-2.7 for comparison: It might have more stuff already (almost same bin size static linked) but the graphics are more "coarse" than netsurf...
Links is great (IMHO) :)
Note Links uses internal non-TTF fonts (each font is PNG image) whereas Netsurf uses TTF fonts.
goingnuts wrote: might be worth looking into the links code? Some of the "odd" look is missing icons in toolbar (and a permanent visible toolbar) but simple javascript is handled...well - just a thought...
May be worth looking into another code named as "Hacked Links Project". Seems this project is dead, but something can be borrowed and implemented into Links 2.7.
That Hacked Links partially supports Freetype, Javascript and tabbed browsing.
http://xray.sai.msu.ru/~karpov/links-hacked/
SUUM CUIQUE.

technosaurus

#342 Post by technosaurus »

does (e)links support css, animated bmp/ico, gif, webp and svg though?
(size is -400kb smaller with the builtin fonts, but if you wanted, you could rename some other TTF font to the ones in the list)
- here is a nice small public domain font with ttf, otf and sfb variants
http://tulrich.com/fonts/tuffy-20120614.tar.gz
(from the guy who wrote gameswf - the backbone of gnash)
goingnuts wrote:

Code: Select all

#define APPNAME    "nsfb"
// Set classhint
  XClassHint classHint;
  classHint.res_name  = APPNAME;
  classHint.res_class = APPNAME;
  XSetClassHint(display, appWin, &classHint);

// Set windowname
  XStoreName(display, appWin, APPNAME);
  XSetIconName(display, appWin, APPNAME);
I tried something similar already (xcb equivalent - the framebuffer doesn't require libX11 at all) ... I had gotten the name to appear in the title and pager, but it wasn't displayed in xwininfo or recognized by jwm's group settings (neither class or name) ... I was considering using a swallowed web page as a tray applet ... why not? its light and handles lots of image types
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#343 Post by goingnuts »

PANZERKOPF: The hacked version do have some very good improvements (tabs, right click menu and so). I will try to view how hard it is to port to 2.7. Thanks.
technosaurus: Netsurf seems more "equipped" - just wanted to compare. It would be nice though to have a xlib-version or a gtk1port...

I was looking for a replacement for gwget (ugly and not-intuitive...) and found aria - mentioned here and here. Did have some problems compiling it but found this recipe which more or less fixed the build. Its quite big when done static (approx 3Mb) but works very well. DOWNLOAD aria-1.0.0.pet HERE

PANZERKOPF

#344 Post by PANZERKOPF »

goingnuts wrote: I was looking for a replacement for gwget (ugly and not-intuitive...)
Pavuk Web grabber. It has many functions, can be compiled with GTK1 or GTK2, can run
in console (without GUI).
http://www.pavuk.org/
SUUM CUIQUE.

goingnuts

#345 Post by goingnuts »

PANZERKOPF: Thanks! Nice one this Pavuk thing.

I was wondering if we should create a list of all those gtk1 apps (or other useful old-timers)...or maybe even a package collection somewhere with static builds.
Some time ago I started making a synaptic-like package manager in gtkdialog1 for pupngo - makes things much less complicated if all packages are static - but got distracted and never finalized it - might have a look at it again.

PANZERKOPF

#346 Post by PANZERKOPF »

goingnuts wrote: I was wondering if we should create a list of all those gtk1 apps (or other useful old-timers)...
This is a good idea.
There are many old, discontinued but still useful opensource apps scattered in world web.
I Will inform You about each finding.
SUUM CUIQUE.

Keef

sfm small file manager

#347 Post by Keef »

I found this gtk 1.2 file manager:
http://prigaux.chez.com/sfm.html

Dependencies:

linux-gate.so.1 => 
	libgtk-1.2.so.0 => /root/my-applications/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0
	libgdk-1.2.so.0 => /root/my-applications/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0
	libgmodule-1.2.so.0 => /root/my-applications/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0
	libglib-1.2.so.0 => /root/my-applications/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2
	libXi.so.6 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXi.so.6
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXext.so.6
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libX11.so.6
	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXau.so.6
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXdmcp.so.6
From the README
This program is a simple file manager. It's meant to be small and fast and have a lot of shortcuts. You can associate actions with files (using its extension or its type given by file(1)). A popup menu gives you the available commands and shortcuts. You can have multiple views talking between each others. The filenames are colored using the LS_COLORS variable. You can also use it as a directory traveller. It uses the gtk+ library.

You have the ability to not use the mouse at all, using mnemonics and shortcuts. I really think something like kfm and xfm is too slow and not enough shortcut driven. This program is meant to minimize memory consumption and to be very fast.
This is running on 412. Got the gtk /glib stuff from rpms.
(I downloaded the binary. - It dates from 1999)
Attachments
sfm.jpg
(49.19 KiB) Downloaded 788 times

goingnuts

#348 Post by goingnuts »

Keef: Thats a nice finding!
Xpdf versions below 2 can be build without motif. The last version of those seems to be 1.01.
Edit 20130430: pdf supports an annoying feature that prevents copy text+images out of the document if owner password set. I can see the text content and manually type the text to another document or screen capture images and paste them as well. Applied a simple patch to bypass the check for owner password. So new upload here 1.4Mb and included all the non-GUI programs (pdffonts pdfimages pdfinfo pdftopbm pdftops pdftotext) as well as man pages etc. Would have liked to turn all the bins into a multicall binary but sort of lost when it comes to doing that with c++ code.
Still pdf files protected with user passwords needs the password set via command line so if you try opening a pdf-file via GUI and nothing happens it might be pswd-protected (xpdf gives no indications of this in GUI-mode).

Although this old version is targeted pdf-1.4 it seems to load newer versions as well.
Attachments
snap0001.png
(48.32 KiB) Downloaded 753 times

technosaurus

#349 Post by technosaurus »

I've been playing with coldplugging and hotplugging via shell scripts here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86125
I know this is the "old-fashioned" way but after looking at the old hotplug scripts, the concept was fine, but the implementation was not designed for speed.

I'm designing it for use with busybox built with prefer applets, standalone shell and run NOFORK applets directly (this typically more than doubles the speed even compared to itself without those features)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Ted Dog

#350 Post by Ted Dog »

Cloud you include an underdog method? with pupngo13.

PANZERKOPF

#351 Post by PANZERKOPF »

goingnuts wrote:Keef: Thats a nice finding!
Xpdf versions below 2 can be build without motif. The last version of those seems to be 1.01.
It seems Your image shows Motif-based XPDF...... :)
Correct image is attached here:
Attachments
xpdf.png
(16.58 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
SUUM CUIQUE.

PANZERKOPF

"Northern Captain" - two-panel filemanager

#352 Post by PANZERKOPF »

Two-panel filemanager, uses Xlibs only.
http://freecode.com/projects/XNorthernCaptain
SUUM CUIQUE.

goingnuts

#353 Post by goingnuts »

technosaurus: Looks great!
Ted Dog: I haven't looked at it - if it does not need to be in initrd I think I prefer to have it as an option/package to add...and the pupngo13 might be sort of delayed as there are no release scheduled :)
PANZERKOPF: Are you sure about the motif? I am getting old and eyes are getting weaker but after rechecking I do believe no motif/openmotif is involved in my xpdf-1.01 build and the image of it running...Could it be some of your X-app-defaults settings which influence the view? Well again - I might be old and wrong...at least today...
The XNC is very nice - attached an image of it running:
Attachments
snap0002.png
(53.79 KiB) Downloaded 586 times

PANZERKOPF

#354 Post by PANZERKOPF »

goingnuts wrote: Could it be some of your X-app-defaults settings which influence the view?
Yes, maybe my X settings are different... Sorry! :)
SUUM CUIQUE.

Ibidem

#355 Post by Ibidem »

Tested the xpdf with ubuntu...looks like goingnuts' screenshot, and like stock motif xpdf.
I'm guessing though that PANZERKOPFF has no .Xdefaults, or uses .Xresources but has none for xpdf or *?

t1lib, which xpdf bundles, has a history of security bugs--disabling will be safer and smaller, but uglier text.

goingnuts

#356 Post by goingnuts »

t1lib, which xpdf bundles, has a history of security bugs--disabling will be safer and smaller, but uglier text.
Do you know if applying debian security patches for t1lib removes the security threat (CVE-2010-2642.patch, CVE-2011-0764.diff, CVE-2011-1552_1553_1554.patch & format-security.diff)?
Without t1 its seems too ugly and I haven't found a way to get the freetype/freetype2 working (seems to ignore configure settings and never get included...).
Maybe its hard to find a pdf-file that actually triggers the security thread...I guess main target for hackers wont be xpdf-1.01...but would be nice to avoid the risk.

Changing of Xdefaults:
Try adding this to your /root/.Xresources:

xpdf*foreground:        dark green
xpdf*background:        steelblue
xpdf*geometry:          80x25
and run:

xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
and then launch xpdf...
I guess the "motif"-look is present when nothing is defined for xpdf.

Ibidem

#357 Post by Ibidem »

goingnuts wrote:
Do you know if applying debian security patches for t1lib removes the security threat (CVE-2010-2642.patch, CVE-2011-0764.diff, CVE-2011-1552_1553_1554.patch & format-security.diff)?
Without t1 its seems too ugly and I haven't found a way to get the freetype/freetype2 working (seems to ignore configure settings and never get included...).
Maybe its hard to find a pdf-file that actually triggers the security thread...I guess main target for hackers wont be xpdf-1.01...but would be nice to avoid the risk.
Are you using Debian's t1lib? If so, the patches should be enough.
Some xpdf versions bundled t1lib, though.

It looks like there's a little mucking around with configure and a (small?) patch to get freetype2 working. Mainly that the headers are different.

Of course, xpdf has had several vulnerabilities since 2002.

starhawk

#358 Post by starhawk »

Sorry I haven't been doing much with The Infernal Dell as of late... I kinda lost interest for a while. However...

goingnuts, technosaurus, look at this...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 101#639101

Could this "minitube" program be made to work (or rebuilt/replicated in compatible fashion) with pUPnGO2012? That would be a lot of what the doctor ordered for the CPi -- Flash video playback without Flash video CPU overhead.

goingnuts

#359 Post by goingnuts »

Ibidem: Thanks for the info. I was not using the debian source but an external t1lib. I have tested the debian source as well and have no problems compiling.
starhawk: I don't think I can do the minitube as it is c+ and qt...
But maybe another solution can be found. There seems to exist various scripts that could be used with a gtk-dialog front end and mplayer - to construct a poor mans minitube. Might be done already...

starhawk

#360 Post by starhawk »

@goingnuts -- go for it! Anything that can substitute for Flash Player (more or less) and work on the CPi meets my needs ;)