Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Sky Aisling

#241 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you, Richard.

Can you tell me where I find a non-beta Frisbee .pet that I can try on Puppy 431?

Sky

rerwin

#242 Post by rerwin »

Sky,
I have not yet back-ported frisbee-1.0 to any older puppy but, as I said, I hope to at some point -- lucid pup 528 first, then 4.3.1 if it can be done. Before that, though, I am reworking the network_tray program associated with frisbee, so that I back-port only the final versions of the components. All other Frisbees are betas.

It should be worth the wait, though. You can try out frisbee-1.0 on wary, precise or slacko 5.5, by installing the "kit" I just updated.

BTW, are you aware of my "Upgrade Center" for 4.3.1? Although I have not updated it for 1-1/2 years, there may be items there of interest to you.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 341#483889
Richard

Sky Aisling

#243 Post by Sky Aisling »

Here is another report with another machine and OS.

Frisbee Beta 2 is working with no issues within this configuration:

Machine:

Toshiba Satellite M55-s135
765(?) mg RAM
No HDD
Live CD
Flash Drive 8 gb
(setup as ext. 2 and 1.5gb of swap)

Puppy:
Puppy-520

:D

mavrothal

#244 Post by mavrothal »

Hi Richard,
I tried 0331 in Precise 5.5 and works fine but feels considerably slower from older versions. Particularly from "Requesting IP" till "established".
Is this by design?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rerwin

#245 Post by rerwin »

mavrothal,
Thanks for your report. Not by design nor intent, but possibly related to the activation of the dhcpcd dropwait feature. That is the major change from 0325. The other change should be innocuous, because it merely separates the notification dhcpcd hooks into two files but using the same logic as in the combined file. No delays (sleeps) were added.

To check whether dropwait is involved, please try changing the delay value from the default 15 seconds, to zero seconds, in the Diagnostics window. You could also try increasing the value significantly, to see if the slowness worsens.

EDIT: I tried both 0 seconds and 30 seconds. Either way, my eth0 took about 14 seconds from RELEASE to BOUND (no IP address to getting new address). And the version of dhcpcd in the kit is the same as that in precise pup, dated February, 2013. With wlan0 and eth0 active, but with wlan0 not connected to anything:
  • Apr 4 15:24:04 puppypc31763 daemon.debug dhcpcd[29483]: eth0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks', reason RELEASE
    Apr 4 15:24:18 puppypc31763 daemon.debug dhcpcd[3942]: eth0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks', reason BOUND
With wlan0 "ignored" in frisbee:
  • Apr 4 15:27:27 puppypc31763 daemon.debug dhcpcd[3942]: eth0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks', reason RELEASE
    Apr 4 15:27:37 puppypc31763 daemon.debug dhcpcd[7305]: eth0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks', reason BOUND
So, it appears that the unconnected wlan0 delays things by 4 seconds. And the dropwait interval seems unrelated to the slowdown.

To test, I used "Restart DHCP" in frisbee and checked /var/log/messages. What do you see for the RELEASE-to-BOUND intervals?

Another edit: I tried the test on a fresh precise puppy 5.5 -- no pupsave file -- and no added pets. In 4 tries, the interval was 11-13 seconds, almost the same as with the "improvements".
Richard

mavrothal

#246 Post by mavrothal »

rerwin wrote: To check whether dropwait is involved, please try changing the delay value from the default 15 seconds, to zero seconds, in the Diagnostics window.
That was it. Setting it back to 0 everything goes back to normal.
The slow connecting problem is more evident after boot or after a suspend/resume cycle. When everything is OK and you just "reset networks" it reconnects in 5-6 sec

Actually while testing I noticed that the dropwait generates another problem. If you cycle with `ifconfig $INTERFACE up/down' in less that 15 sec, then frisbee "thinks" it is connected but it is not.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rerwin

New network_tray-2.7 and frisbee-1.1

#247 Post by rerwin »

I have reworked the internals of the network tray program to better handle concurrently active networks. Frisbee is up-versioned because it is required if frisbee is to be used, at all; it no longer sends signals to network_tray, which now does not expect them. Any older F/frisbee will kill the tray icon, so must be removed or replaced before installing network_tray-2.7.

In addition, the network up/down pop-up notifications are completely separate from frisbee, now provided in the woof_updates package. They can be activated without frisbee by the command:
touch /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify
which will retain that setting across reboots.

The tray icon can now show concurrently active ethernet, wifi and mobile/GPRS interfaces, lighting up the cable and antenna graphics when an IP address has been obtained. The "in/out" activity indications now apply to all interfaces instead of only one. Note, however, that these indications do not apply directly to VPN and pppoe connections, but to the activity on the hardware interfaces attached to the PC that support those connections.

The attached "frisbee-1.1 kit" contains the packages: frisbee-1.1, network_tray-2.7 and woof_updates. The entire set must be installed together, unless frisbee is not present nor desired in a puppy distro, in which case it can be omitted.

I am particularly interested in getting feedback from users of GPRS/wireless modems and DSL/pppoe, to verify whether the tray icon behaves as one can expect: it should show the hardware interface in use and some activity when appropriate.

Users of analog dialup modems will see the indicator for a mobile/GPRS interface, but can cause that to change to a telephone by executing the command:
touch /tmp/.network_tray-use_analog_dialup_icons
probably in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script or elsewhere to execute during bootup. Eventually, I will update pupdial to set it.

I intend this to be the final configuration of frisbee and network_tray (now that I "own" them), but hope to add to frisbee a tab to assist with using GPRS and DSL/pppoe modems. But that may take awhile, after some other projects such as a lucid-pup upgrade package set.
Richard

Additional note (to 01micko): Network_tray-2.7 will accept various types of icon files. It looks at the first file it finds in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/network_tray (or whatever it links to) and uses its suffix (e.g., xpm) for all icon files it reads, making it unnecessary to modify its source code to accommodate other types of icon files. As a convention, put all icons for it in a subdirectory, network_tray-[suffix of contained files] and set a link to it as "network_tray".

UPDATE 4/20/2013: Re-uploaded the kit (20130419) to improve the icon indication of the "connected" states of the 3 types of interface. Only the network_tray package is changed.

UPDATE 5/6/2013: Re-uploaded the kit (20130505) after download #28 to add the long-promised update to pupdial to notify network_tray of a land-line/analog connection versus wireless, and includes a related addition to pgprs. The only changed package is "woof_updates".
EDIT: Had to re-upload the kit because I had put the updated pgprs script in the wrong directory. Now corrected after download #31. Please replace the versions obtained as downloads 29-31.
Attachments
frisbee-1.1_puppy-5.5_kit-20130505.tar.gz
Inter-related frisbee and network_tray, incompatible with older versions of each.
Now with increased visibility of the connection "glow".
Now with icon indication of analog connections.
(42.24 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 06 May 2013, 17:05, edited 4 times in total.

mavrothal

#248 Post by mavrothal »

Hi Richard,
tried frisbee 1.1 kit and have nothing to report :D

Tray icon works fine. If you come around to work on this again you may want to add an icon/hook for the VPN connections (usually a tunnel icon)

Latter:almost nothing...
It would appear that the new try icon is too optimistic ie after suspend/resume shows the network as connected as soon as wlan is up regardless if it is associated with an AP or not.The little "connected" green squiggle is too easy to miss and distinguish between associated and non-associated state.

rerwin

#249 Post by rerwin »

After working with mavrothal to verify that the connection-state changes are being communicated to network_tray, I addressed the issue of the visibility of the "connected" indications in the icon. I uploaded the result above.

My original intent was to keep the "glow" graphics modest -- not "in your face". But mavrothal feels "[It] is the icons that are hard to see", leading to his conclusion that the indication was incorrect after a suspend-resume. So, I made them more obvious. The result is that with both wifi and mobile connections operating, there is a lot of "glow".

Now is a good time to point out the difference in icon meanings among the 3 versions of the icons -- original, Frisbee/n_t-2.6, n-t-2.7. Consider that there are 3 states of interest: detected, active and bound (with IP address). Here is how the icons are used:

Code: Select all

State                  Original     Frisbee/2.6  Network_tray-2.7

None detected:  dead         dead           dead
Detected:           dead         dead           dead
Active:                 traffic       dead           active
Bound:                traffic        traffic          traffic  (with bound cable/antennas glowing in cyan)
Translation of icon descriptors:
  • dead: red X or slashed circle
    traffic: normal icon showing transmissions, receipts or neither
    active: the original traffic icon (with no transmissions/receipts) with grey cable or antennas indicating active interface types -- those that are operational but not assigned an IP address
Richard

UPDATE 4/27/2013: To facilitate the adoption of this new kit, I have created a supplemental package for those who prefer the "classic" Frisbee icons included in Slacko. It obtains the "svg" icons there and renames them for the new network_tray icon directory for that type of file (without changing the originals). It then makes the "svg" icon directory the active icon set.
Attachments
network_tray_svg_icons-2.7.pet
Adapter for slacko Frisbee icons, to work with network_tray-2.7.
(1.02 KiB) Downloaded 773 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#250 Post by mavrothal »

rerwin wrote: I addressed the issue of the visibility of the "connected" indications in the icon. I uploaded the result above.
Certainly improved. For the wifi connections, they are fine over a dark theme and adequate over a white'ish one. For the modem the opposite is true but I guess providing 20 different versions of the same basic icon is never going to be perfect for all of them.

rerwin

frisbee-1.1 and network_tray-2.7 Ready for Precise 5.6

#251 Post by rerwin »

I have added to the frisbee-1.1 kit (4 messages above) the fix to pupdial and pgprs to notify the network_tray icon program of the type of dialup connection in use. If a dialup phone/access number contains only decimal digits, hyphen (-) or periods (.) an analog connection is assumed. Other characters such as '*' and '#' imply a wireless dialup connection. In case a comma is used to cause a short pause, the all-digit check is made only on the part of the number following the last comma.

Since there have been no complaints about the "1.1" kit before this latest addition, I conclude that it can now be considered for the upcoming Precise Pup 5.6. If anyone feels otherwise, please let me know. Thank you, to all of you who have tried the "1.1" kit.
Richard

EDIT: Note that I re-uploaded the kit to correct a mistake. Whoever downloaded numbers 29-31 should download again or make the correction: /lib/modules/all-firmware/pgprs/usr/sbin/pgprs-connect should be in /lib/modules/all-firmware/pgprs/usr/bin/pgprs-connect. Move the script from ...usr/sbin to ...usr/bin and delete the then-empty ...usr/sbin directory. And move pgprs-connect in /usr/sbin (if there) to /usr/bin.
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 06 May 2013, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

Network_tray source and related difference listings

#252 Post by rerwin »

In preparation for Precise 5.6, I attach the source tarball for network_tray-2.7 and difference listings for it, as well as one for the "woof_updates" package. (Click on the diff files to unzip them.)
Richard
Attachments
diff-woof_updates-20130505.txt.gz
Difference listing - from Precise Pup 5.5
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
diff-network_tray-2.6-2.7.txt.gz
Difference listing
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
network_tray-2.7.tar.gz
Source code
(14.74 KiB) Downloaded 733 times

for_wov

wep wpa

#253 Post by for_wov »

encryption question. have wep encrypted net but frisbee (original in precise 5.6 final) shows encryption is tkip. will your kit choose right encryption type or that is a system's behavior? if frisbee where to change, if system the same question(8211_crypt_tkip.ko may be mistaken). is it possible without rebooting?

rerwin

Re: wep wpa

#254 Post by rerwin »

for_wov wrote:encryption question. have wep encrypted net but frisbee (original in precise 5.6 final) shows encryption is tkip. will your kit choose right encryption type or that is a system's behavior? if frisbee where to change, if system the same question(8211_crypt_tkip.ko may be mistaken). is it possible without rebooting?
for_wov,
Thanks for posting your question here. Unfortunately, I do not have the answer, as I am not the originator of frisbee and do not fully understand how it should behave. I have taken Jemimah's project and interfaced it into puppy without knowing the details of its workings. However, since Jemimah does not seem to be available for consultation, I will have to support frisbee, learning as I go and depending on users (such as you) for your experiences with it.

So, let's work on this together. I see in the code that saves a profile, that something is done regarding WEP encryption. I need you to tell me what you expect to see happen, and what you actually see with frisbee. Frisbee gets the encryption information from the networks when it obtains the list of available networks from wpa_supplicant. It uses wpa_supplicant for everything it does. I think it uses the listed information to create a configuration entry for a "saved" network profile. So, that is where I would look to debug a problem with WEP.

All I can do at this point is have you try something and report how it works, and whether you expect something different. I have to trust that Jemimah knew what she was doing, until someone reports a problem for me to research. I hope you will pursue this with me.
Richard

for_wov

#255 Post by for_wov »

things are more complicated :) look here
will be experimenting till the end. :wink: [/url]

tuxtoo

Frisbee Icon

#256 Post by tuxtoo »

Tried Frisbee on Puppy-412 and it works a treat. So in the spirit of Puppy DIY I've cobbled together an icon for Frisbee. Got the original Frisbee icon from http://gnome-look.org/ and modified it to more of a Puppy-Look. Hope its useful.
Attachments
frisbee48.png
frisbee48.png 48x48
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 1652 times
frisbee256.png
frisbee.png 256x256
(23.44 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

01micko

#257 Post by 01micko »

Hello Richard

Frisbee (latest with "classic" svg icons) is working great in my uploaded slacko-5.5.67 alpha. Thanks for integrating that functionality.

I have repackaged the icons for everyday use in the appropriate folder with symlink. This is the version I use in woof but that doesn't matter, should work anyway with latest frisbee pack in newish puppies. The "z" prefix is just so they get built into woof near the end of the process.

Also, I've added a patch for network_tray which displays IP address and also icons in the right click menu. I don't expect it to be merged at all, just adding a bit of fluff (a bit of fun too).

Cheers
Attachments
net-130709.diff.gz
optional patch for rerwin's network_tray-2.7 source code.
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
z_frisbee_classic_icons-0.1.pet
(10.89 KiB) Downloaded 598 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sky Aisling

#258 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello Richard,

Frisbee is working without issue on this configuration:

HP g62 notebook
cable/dsl connection
Puppy-528.005
running as Live CD
Savefile on HDD

Thank You.

Question:
How's Frisbee for Puppy-4.3.1 coming along?

Sky

01micko

#259 Post by 01micko »

Here is the source code and package of the network_tray with icons on rightclick menu and the IP address shown in the tooltip.

Note the source is just the C code, You can use rerwin's original compile script to compile and generate .pot file.
Attachments
network_tray-2.7.2-i486.pet
compiled in slacko
(12.48 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
network_tray_src_mick-2.7.2.tar.gz
(4.65 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Petr

diagnostics - could be better

#260 Post by Petr »

Hi all,
I realise this is a bit late but I have just hit a problem that caused me to find this thread. I have been using frisbee successfully for a while now but all of a sudden it won't connect, and it gives no information as to why. Indeed I do not get a list of wireless networks to connect to and no way to create one I know is there. I thought it was a hardware problem but if i use net-setup.sh
I can press scan, and get the list.

running from a terminal I can find the problem is

wpa_ctrl_open: no such file or directory

and on the terminal
cat wpa_status.txt: no such file or directory

Any ideas what has happened? I have installed everything from page 15 of this topic; no change.

cheers,
Petr