PPPoe not working in Precise Puppy

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
spandey

PPPoe not working in Precise Puppy

#1 Post by spandey »

My modem is in Bridge mode and connected to PC via Ethernet. I have set up PPPoe to connect to ISP. The connection gets established but I can't browse. I tried pinging the DNS server but it fails. Trying to ping to Google DNS server also fails. Any ideas why ping is failing.

tytower

#2 Post by tytower »

I can sympathise with you but probably not help you. I often get the same result and sometimes I notice the lights in the modem are not all green. I reboot the modem and reboot the PC and sometimes this works and sometimes not. Disconnecting and reconnecting from the icon right click menu sometimes works .

Mostly though I notice that from turn on of the modem it seems to take at least a full minute, and sometimes two , to really connect properly. I suspect that this could be because the ISP takes quite some time to make the connection at times

In Precise and probably all others before the icon seems to come up with a connection immediately regardless of the fact that the system is still trying to connect properly.

I think the icon should only show connected when it really is so connected and functioning properly.
Last edited by tytower on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

spandey

#3 Post by spandey »

I have checked with ifconfig and ppp0 is connected. So there is something missing.

tytower

#4 Post by tytower »

Oh and in case you have not noticed, in the Internet Connection wizard click on the wizard button first then eth0 button and then the "auto DHCP" button to ensure it sets up a DNS

Have a look here also ,there might be something useful in the tests I was asked to dohttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82582

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

This link offers some good info about pppoe, roaring penguin, and DNS difficulties. Well worth a read:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 943#415943