Puppy Works BEST

Promote Puppy !
aen

Puppy Works BEST

#1 Post by aen »

I've have been using Puppy for the past few years as my main distro - ever since Ubuntu went in a different direction. Started out with MacPup and then switched to Lucid 5.28-005. Both always work extremely well, and I have been extremely satisfied. I have a fairly new (3yrs) multi-core computer, and that got me to wondering about other distro's.

Recently, Distrowatch did a review on Linux Mint LMDE. I used a version of Mint for awhile before switching to Puppy, so the fact that LMDE was a Debian compatible rolling release tempted me to download and install LMDE on the partition that Ubuntu once occupied. Everything went well enough for me to start making adjustments to LMDE so I could use it as my everyday OS --- until I booted up the next day. It would hang midway during boot up, and sometimes it would boot after restarting and sometimes it would not.

Fortunately, Puppy is in a different partition, so I inserted the disk, booted up, re-ran Grub for Dos4 ( I use Windows XP for my camera) and I was back in business without a hitch.

For the kinds of activity that I do on my computer, there is no better OS. It's fast, simple, loaded with great software, and easy to use. On top of that, you can take it with you along with your save file and work anywhere. Try that with the other OS's.

I will not be straying again. Thanks to all of the folks, especially Barry for their unselfish time and devotion to making this a superior OS.

dk60902

Re: Puppy Works BEST

#2 Post by dk60902 »

aen wrote:I've have been using Puppy for the past few years as my main distro - ever since Ubuntu went in a different direction. Started out with MacPup and then switched to Lucid 5.28-005. Both always work extremely well, and I have been extremely satisfied. I have a fairly new (3yrs) multi-core computer, and that got me to wondering about other distro's.

Recently, Distrowatch did a review on Linux Mint LMDE. I used a version of Mint for awhile before switching to Puppy, so the fact that LMDE was a Debian compatible rolling release tempted me to download and install LMDE on the partition that Ubuntu once occupied. Everything went well enough for me to start making adjustments to LMDE so I could use it as my everyday OS --- until I booted up the next day. It would hang midway during boot up, and sometimes it would boot after restarting and sometimes it would not.

Fortunately, Puppy is in a different partition, so I inserted the disk, booted up, re-ran Grub for Dos4 ( I use Windows XP for my camera) and I was back in business without a hitch.

For the kinds of activity that I do on my computer, there is no better OS. It's fast, simple, loaded with great software, and easy to use. On top of that, you can take it with you along with your save file and work anywhere. Try that with the other OS's.

I will not be straying again. Thanks to all of the folks, especially Barry for their unselfish time and devotion to making this a superior OS.
For pure web surfing, Puppy kicks ass. It's so fast, I love it.

If someone could only put in multiple monitor capability built, I would be thrilled. I'm not sophisticated to figure it out. A couple minor things is that I can't get Chrome Remote desktop extension to work on Puppy. Some of the printers and scanners, I haven't been able to get working.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

tallboy

#3 Post by tallboy »

aen wrote:Thanks to all of the folks, especially Barry for their unselfish time and devotion to making this a superior OS
Hear, hear!

tallboy

("Hear, hear!" is an abbreviation for the old expression "Hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!")
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

circularL7

Re: Puppy Works BEST

#4 Post by circularL7 »

aen wrote:Thanks to all of the folks, especially Barry for their unselfish time and devotion to making this a superior OS.
Unselfish isn't necessarily generous. (A non-negative value isn't necessarily positive.)

Credit where credit is due: there's a lot of generous work that goes into this.