X no good with Neomagic; how can I boot to command prompt?

Booting, installing, newbie
schorsch

X no good with Neomagic; how can I boot to command prompt?

#1 Post by schorsch »

As in former Puppy versions I got a screen (green, yellow, hard to read) - i know, the problem is caused by the NEOMAGIC graphic chip.
Going back to the console (by CTRL/ALT/BACKSPACE or via START button) leads to a console witch isn't usable (white background and and a very strange font, that isn't readable by humans).
Is there a way, to put the console back to a usable shape, I remember, there was a command "reset", but that doesn't work ?
I think, it would be helpfull, to have an item at the bootprompt, to go to the consol without starting X automatically. After this one can use "framebufferwizard" and fix the problems.
Any other idea how to solve my problems?

smurf

Booting option "Boot to console"

#2 Post by smurf »

Think, that a boot-option "Boot to console" would be appreciated by a lot of Puppy-users

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

If you don't want to start X automatically do this:

edit /etc/profile

comment out with #, or remove the line near the bottom of the file that says:

exec xwin

schorsch

#4 Post by schorsch »

How can I edit the file, when I don't have a Puppy-screen (console or X), I can work with, becaused by the problems, I discribed above ?
Is there a way to change the contents of the iso (or the burned CD) by booting a different LINUX and mount the CD or something else ?
Sorry for this questions, I'm just doing my first steps in LINUX.

#5 Post by Guest »

You can edit /etc/profile with a mangled screen....it is difficult but can be done..actually it's %#@! difficult

after killing the xserver type

mp /etc/profile

now with a bit of luck you may just be able to find the line and insert a # in front

if you page down (4 times) to the end of the file then press the up arrow three times that puts you on the correct line

after editing press CTRL-Q then y

this will save the file with the edited line

#6 Post by Guest »

schorsch wrote:How can I edit the file, when I don't have a Puppy-screen (console or X), I can work with, becaused by the problems, I discribed above ?
Is there a way to change the contents of the iso (or the burned CD) by booting a different LINUX and mount the CD or something else ?
Sorry for this questions, I'm just doing my first steps in LINUX.
The file you need to edit is in the pup file on the hard drive and not on the CD-ROM or .ISO

Yes, you can mount the pup file from another Linux and edit the file. I don't know where the pup file is on your computer.

Suppose:
  • * the pup file is on hda1
    * the name of the pup file is pup001
    * the mount point for hda1 is /mnt/hda1
    * and hda1 is already mounted
Then you would do this:
  • # mkdir /mnt/pupxxx

# mount -t ext2 -o loop /mnt/hda1/pup001 /mnt/pupxxx

# your_ editor /mnt/pupxxx/.etc/profile
* replace your_editor with the actual name of your editor

* adjust the commands for the actual mount points and names as required