Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 06:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
JWM Desktop Updates to V755 (Release) and V910 (Test)
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 7 of 16 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
anikin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013, 07:48    Post_subject:  

`f00 wrote:
I 'cheated' by modifying src/cursors.c (before compile) to show left_ptr for the titlebar button hovers as some users would like.

That's it?!
And the issue becomes moot? If it's this simple, I'd like to do a new compile. Just need to decide on the right, latest, "good" version. I've noticed, Slacko has version 692, btw.

Thank you for sharing this trick.
`f00

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013, 20:19    Post_subject:
Sub_title: yup

Of course then you just get a 'standard' pointer for the hovers. Some cursor sets like Neutral_Plus_Inverted (aka npi) actually look really good for the hovers - the appearance is fairly intuitive, anyhow Wink .. even a few surprises in that set (a proper right_ptr for one)

On the testing side, did a quick-o compile of 707 in p431 - it crunked out on src/fonts with default options enabled, but fine with my usual disables .. glad scsijon does do his with fribidi and so on for the wider base of users. For a lark, I tried that binary in racy 5.4.91 .. seems fine on all the major functions.

Minor - tried the new tasklist attribute border="0" (or "false") in tray file, border/outline persists on buttons (windowbuttons in tasklist and traybuttons as well) Neutral It's a cosmetic preference to be sure, full windows or shaded titlebars take a border/outline well but it can look a bit overdone in the confines of a tray (with some themes it's more noticeable than others). Maybe something odd on my side (disables or using the p431 binary in racy), will test again when scsijon does a 707..

heh, the real magic is having good source code to work with
scsijon

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013, 21:57    Post_subject:  

I shall be building jwm's thursday night,

!I need a change from working on mage2 as I have been running around in tighter circles the last few days, I finally realized the problem last night. Nearly three months work unnecessary, ouch!

@'f00, maybe instead of playing with mick's jwmconfig2 with 431 you should use the 691 config pet on the first page as it's barryk's puppy standard', just updated for the new jwm format.

EDIT: WED
@ all joe is up to 715, I shall build tomorrow pm and upload thur night as i've had a sudden 'burst of brain power' and I think that I have sorted out most of my remaining mage2 problems!
scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 06:01    Post_subject: JWM V704 release & 716 test  

I have updated both the Release Version to 704, and Test Version to 716.

Attached is the changelog for those interested. Rename it without the fake .gz and open with geany to view it.

Will testers make sure they state what puppy they are testing on please.

As usual, the Test Version will be rebuilt to Release Version Quality approximately 14 days after no problems have been found unless a further test version is required.

Have fun folks.

scsijon
ChangeLog_002.asc.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  ChangeLog_002.asc.gz 
Filesize  178.58 KB 
Downloaded  180 Time(s) 
`f00

PostPosted: Fri 29 Mar 2013, 15:54    Post_subject:
Sub_title: 716

tested on racy 5.4.91 (kernel 3.8.0)

Everything looks good in normal mode.

With kcompmgr -n enabled .. toggling max-full, max-v and max-h leaves remnants on the display. If compiled with Shape disabled, there are no remnants (but windows lose the rounded corners Neutral ).

___a few pldf-links for those interested in kcompmgr and related___
Patriot's 2.0.1 stuff
'related' somewhat

___jwm2-716-w5c in other pups___
precise 5.3.96 (kernel 3.2.29) - ok
quirky 1.4.2 (kernel 2.6.32.28 ) - good¹
wary 5.1.4 (kernel 2.6.32-smp) - sub-par with xcompmgr, otherwise fine
wary 0.2.0 (kernel 2.6.33.2) - ok²
¹ - unable to test with compmgr (odd xorg doesn't recognize extension)
² - needs newer syntax for virtual desk layout (was older 'count' style)

___721 compiled on p431___addenda 130404___
.. really seems to be getting a handle on the compmgr-max-toggling thing ..
puppy 4.3.1 - still has remnants (max-* toggled from titlebar buttons)
racy 5.4.91 - no remnants at all, very stable with all control methods Very Happy
wary 5.1.4 - if toggled from winmenu, all is fine .. toggling from titlebar buttons gives a variety of repeatable results (differing dependent on if k or xcompmgr used)

___722 compiled on wary 5.1.4 ~and~ the w5c binary___addenda 130407___
precise 5.3.96 - w/kcompmgr all control methods good Smile
.. w/xcompmgr, no unshade drawn from titlebar button nor kybd (I use Alt+s to toggle shade)
shade-tb-xcompmgr.png
 Description   722 (w/xcompmgr) in precise 5.3.96
 Filesize   11.09 KB
 Viewed   426 Time(s)

shade-tb-xcompmgr.png

remnants.png
 Description   screencap from p431
 Filesize   6.74 KB
 Viewed   457 Time(s)

remnants.png

716all.png
 Description   some differences
 Filesize   128 KB
 Viewed   566 Time(s)

716all.png

Edited_times_total
scsijon

PostPosted: Fri 29 Mar 2013, 20:20    Post_subject:  

thank you 'f00,
yes, the systemconf line is misleeding as we don't use it, but it has to be there in the build, it won't build without it. I remove the file before I pet it up to both save space and make sure the jwm default one isn't used as it's nothing like puppy's (it's really an example). JWM looks for a $HOME/.jwmrc first anyway, which for us is /root/.jwmrc.

I shall report the remnants problem. Personally I haven't seen it in testing, but I shall re-check and see what I find.

EDIT: a quickcheck and it's not happening with rox-filer, thunderbird, firefox or a console screen. However I have reported it anyway, maybe it's a quick find and fix. Maybe it's worth adding a link for kcompmgr in your message above in case he wants to download it to test with.

thanks
scsijon
disciple

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2013, 01:51    Post_subject:  

Round windows are madness anyway Wink (pixels and screens aren't round). I still find it surprising that people want that feature in JWM...
- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
scsijon

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2013, 06:04    Post_subject: v720  

Joe has released a new test version 720, I shall build, Test it myself, and if it's ok I will upload as a test version tomorrow, it's suppose to fix a few things like 'f00's.

regards

EDIT: We ended up with version 722, it's on test and available for download in the first post.
scsijon

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2013, 18:08    Post_subject:  

joe has created a new 'head' snapshot with version 726, these are master base versions.
I shall build this afternoon when back home and upload this evening.

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr 2013, 13:24    Post_subject:  

Just to report that the problem of SlimBoat Browser maximized window opening displaced is now FIXED in JWM version 726 (which it wasn't in 704).

Many thanks to Joe for all the hard work. It is very much appreciated.

By the way, personally I quite like the little changing cursor shapes. At least they give a visible indication that you are hovering in position over the button.

scsijon

PostPosted: Fri 12 Apr 2013, 00:28    Post_subject:  

joe's been at it already, we now have a 729, I shall build and upload tonight. It's mainly cleanup of unused functions, and make configure find the right XPM library on IRIX so doesn't concern us directly.

I'm going back to mage2 for a few days of pre-'last' beta release fixes before a general and Final 'Last Beta Release early next week so don't expect anything much till then.

scsijon

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr 2013, 21:16    Post_subject:  

A new test version 731 has been uploaded on page1.

As usual if things are stable I will rebuild as a Release Version next weekend. It's time I did that anyway, even if a new test version appears, as the current Release Version is still 704!

WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COMPILE AND USE VERSIONS BETWEEN 726 AND 731. EVEN IF THEY WILL COMPILE, THEY DO HAVE PROBLEMS FOR PUPPY LINUX.
scsijon

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr 2013, 21:38    Post_subject: v731(release) and v733(test)  

V733 has a few fixes in it in the manner of help and config fixes.

The easiest explained is the close 'X' button will bring up a kill message window if the true function of the button is to kill the window instead of just closing. In this case you will usually find an onscreen 'quit' button available, which you should really be using.

Also problems with XML parsing issues with entities have been attended to.

And the compiled options listed in help has been updated to the current status.

I plan on leaving the Version 731 as release level for a while now.

The test version will update as they ocurr as has been for the last few months.
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013, 12:05    Post_subject:  

Observations on v722 :
* In Puppy 43 when X is killed, freememapplet and inotifywait aren't killed . v456 does it fine .
* When i have geany open, and navigate in another virtual window to a textfile in rox and click open as text, all virtual windows show a geany with a non-working window-top-frame except the source virtual window .

___

v456 is fine enough for me, cannot reproduce all the problems ie shinobar and patriot were working on in pre-500 times.

I about refusing to test further and am not expecting any improvements in jwm in the next future .
session

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013, 23:48    Post_subject:  

With all due respect to Karl Godt, these rapid releases of JWM have improved my desktop experience significantly; opaque window dragging is way faster and more importantly many more dialogs (qt, fltk...) respect the edges of the desktop. I'd report bugs if I could find any (v731 on Wary)
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 7 of 16 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum