How to tell your browser to put its cache in /tmp

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
michaellowe

How to tell your browser to put its cache in /tmp

#1 Post by michaellowe »

Hello all you knowledgeable people.
Anyone out there know about this? One of the mods /devs whatever
mentioned this in a post, so I pm'ed them (I know bad form, but search never ever returns anything remotely useful) anyway I decided screw it I will just have to start a new topic and tough if it's been asked before, how am I supposed to know what words to put in the search as we are all different unique individuals and we ask things in different ways, so before anyone catches a harry please can someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction at least, like place a link to the topic that would answer my question in your reply so I can keep my pestering to a minimal.

This post manifested from the comments made by flash in this discussion:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67493

so I wanted to find out how to do it as it sounds like a good solution and flash responded with this: [?] which wasn't very helpful but probably a normal response to stupid noobs, so no worries I can take a hint when it's been offered.
Still a Massive thank you in advance to anyone kind enough to help me keep my savefile and the running of my puppy pc reasonably fast and efficient :) I look forward to a helpful not snide response, thank you
Smash forehead on keyboard to continue.....
well thats at least how some of us deal with ba$h !

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

Maybe older seamonkey had settings in the preferences to set paths . My FF v4.0 apparently not.

What you could try is to

Code: Select all

find /root/.mozilla -type d -name "Cache"
/root/.mozilla/default/Cache
/root/.mozilla/firefox/b7ov9xpo.default/Cache

and

rm -rf /root/.mozilla/*/*/Cache
mkdir /tmp/Cache
ln -s /tmp/Cache /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/abc123.default/Cache

to symlink it into /tmp.

NOTE : Only running frugal from USB /tmp is a mountpoint in RAM. In frugal to HDD /tmp is located inside the pup-save-file.2fs .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

rjbrewer

#3 Post by rjbrewer »

On Seamonkey:

edit
preferences
advanced (tiny triangle on left)
cache
choose folder
file system
tmp

I allow only about 5mb for cache

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: how to tell your browser to put its cache in /tmp

#4 Post by Flash »

michaellowe wrote:...This post manifested from the comments made by flash in this discussion:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67493

so I wanted to find out how to do it as it sounds like a good solution and flash responded with this: [?] which wasn't very helpful but probably a normal response to stupid noobs, ...
That second link you gave was to the PM inbox, which is useless. You'll have to spell it out for us.

SeaMonkey provides an easy way to tell it where to put its cache. Firefox does not. I'm currently using Firefox in my multisession Puppy, because Slacko 5.4 doesn't come with SeaMonkey as the default browser and I foolishly decided to give Firefox a try. I can't remember what I did about Firefox's cache, but I know I did something. :oops: Whatever it was, I found the instructions in the Puppy Linux forum.

shadower_sc

Change Cache Direcotry in Firefox using about:config

#5 Post by shadower_sc »

You can change the cache location in Firefox by editing the about:config. See here for details: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.cache ... _directory.

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

You can change the cache location in Firefox by editing the about:config. See here for details: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.cache ... _directory.
Works for me to goto about:config , dont care about whatarranty , right click somewhere into it, New String
first popup enter
browser.cache.disk.parent_directory
second popup enter
/tmp/firefox/Cache
close firefox
remove /root/.mozilla/firefox/abc123.default/Cache
start firefox
firefox creates /tmp/firefox/* automatically and uses it.

BIG PROBLEM NOW :
The "New Topic" and "Post Reply" buttons don't show up anymore, even not hidden, though view source says they are there .
Posting now using opera.
FF is version 4.0.1 .

Makoto

#7 Post by Makoto »

Karl: You should probably also note that Firefox and Seamonkey apply a 'random' set of letters and numbers for the user profile names, so whatever's preceeding ".default" is going to be different for everyone. (In other words, not everyone's going to have a b7ov9xpo.default directory, or even a abc123.default directory, so the steps you posted may be a little different for everyone else. :) )

As for the New Topic and Post Reply buttons, have you tried emptying your cache and reloading the forum pages? Or, at least force-reloading the pages? (Hold Shift while clicking/selecting Reload.)

Also, are you sure NoScript and Adblock/Plus aren't inadvertently blocking those elements?

Flash: Most of the time, people on this forum have recommended the symlink method of relocating the cache... at least as far as I've seen, and can recall.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

Makoto wrote:Or, at least force-reloading the pages? (Hold Shift while clicking/selecting Reload.)
This works for me . Thanks !

For the crazy firefox directory names i am missing the words to beat around that bush . Hope that Humans are better than CPUs and Chips and recognize things by taking a look into $HOME/.mozilla/*.default first .

Karl Godt

#9 Post by Karl Godt »

Update : Even after several new boots, I still have to force reload of any pages to be able to access the post buttons.

:mad:

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

Have you tried emptying the browser and memory/disk caches, to see if that helps? (Preferences > [Advanced] page > [Network] tab)

If you're running NoScript, or something similar, you might try whitelisting murga-linux.com, if you haven't done that already. Also, if you're using Adblock Plus, or another adblocker with Firefox, try disabling it temporarily to see if the pages display correctly without it.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Barkin

#11 Post by Barkin »

Karl Godt wrote:BIG PROBLEM NOW :
The "New Topic" and "Post Reply" buttons don't show up anymore, even not hidden, though view source says they are there .
Posting now using opera.
FF is version 4.0.1 .
If FireFox "thinks" the cache is getting close to full it doesn't download images, only text, (as images use a lot of memory).
The "New Topic" and "Post Reply" button icons are images. [ If my explanation is correct you shouldn't see avatar images either on this page ].

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

If FireFox "thinks" the cache is getting close to full it doesn't download images, only text, (as images use a lot of memory).
The "New Topic" and "Post Reply" button icons are images. [ If my explanation is correct you shouldn't see avatar images either on this page ].
Nope, all other icons show up .
If you're running NoScript, or something similar, you might try whitelisting murga-linux.com, if you haven't done that already. Also, if you're using Adblock Plus, or another adblocker with Firefox, try disabling it temporarily to see if the pages display correctly without it.
Currently activated addons :
* ChatZilla
* Easy YouTube Video downloader
* Flash Toggle 0.4 ( which doesn't work )
* Wiktionary and Google Translate

Currently deactivated addons :
* 4 different Youtube downloaders
* THE FLASHBLOCK
* Low Quality Flash 0.2
Have you tried emptying the browser and memory/disk caches, to see if that helps? (Preferences > [Advanced] page > [Network] tab)
Has one checkbox to disable automatic cache management and if that is checked I can put in the size of the cache in mega-bytes.
Have hit the button to clear the cache , too .

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

If it's any help, SeaMonkey and Firefox both have always run without problems after I installed Flashblock. I'm using it now, in Fatdog64-620.