How to "not finalize" on DVD burn for puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
Levi88

How to "not finalize" on DVD burn for puppy

#1 Post by Levi88 »

I need to know how to not finalize the burn of puppy onto a DVD -R disc. I am a current Linux user and do not have Windows. My task: I am trying to help a friend get access to the web with his older tower. He has 256MB DDR RAM and a Pentium 1.86GHz single core processor. I personally run Fuduntu and have tried many different flavors. His copy of Windows won't let him install drivers for a Linksys (Broadcom chipset) USB wifi card or a Netgear USB wifi card. He doesn't really have the RAM to run anything else and I need to be able to install a driver onto live DVD disc for operation with both of these wifi cards as he is currently unable to get on the internet with any hardware at all due to his O.S.

Thank you in advance. :D

Linux is the answer!!!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Have you tried Puppy yet on his machine at all? There's an excellent chance that later Puppys already have the drivers needed for his wifi.

As for not finalizing, use Pburn in Puppy. If you're trying to burn a multisession Puppy, you can also use Burniso2cd in Puppy.

Levi88

#3 Post by Levi88 »

Flash wrote:Have you tried Puppy yet on his machine at all? There's an excellent chance that later Puppys already have the drivers needed for his wifi.

As for not finalizing, use Pburn in Puppy. If you're trying to burn a multisession Puppy, you can also use Burniso2cd in Puppy.
I have not tried on his system yet, however, I want to make sure he can save his work too as I will be burning this disc through my current O.S. of Fuduntu. I currently have k3b and brasero for burning and many more available, I'm just not sure how to prevent it from finalizing as I don't see an option and it likes to do it automatically. As a note, he has Win XP, so can he save his work to that HDD without it messing with Windows if I do make a disc that is finalized? Basically, I'm low on discs and wanna do it just once. LOL. Sorry for any inonvienence on this issue.

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

The option to burn a multi-session DVD is in the burner software and it is different for each one. I believe not all burner software has it, but if you have several you just need to have a look through the controls until you find it.

As Flash says, Puppy has Pburn which has multi-session as the default setting whenever I burn CD's. If the burners you have don't do what you want then I suggest you boot Puppy and burn a disc in Puppy to give to your friend. I am surprised that shortage of discs may be a problem.

Adding a driver on to a DVD may not be the easiest thing to do (how do you propose to do this?) and as Flash also says, may not be necessary anyway.

As for the other question, Puppy will save work / files to the HDD without any problems and without disturbing Windows or any other OS.
Oscar in England

Levi88

#5 Post by Levi88 »

OscarTalks wrote:The option to burn a multi-session DVD is in the burner software and it is different for each one. I believe not all burner software has it, but if you have several you just need to have a look through the controls until you find it.

As Flash says, Puppy has Pburn which has multi-session as the default setting whenever I burn CD's. If the burners you have don't do what you want then I suggest you boot Puppy and burn a disc in Puppy to give to your friend. I am surprised that shortage of discs may be a problem.

Adding a driver on to a DVD may not be the easiest thing to do (how do you propose to do this?) and as Flash also says, may not be necessary anyway.

As for the other question, Puppy will save work / files to the HDD without any problems and without disturbing Windows or any other OS.
Ok. Thank you very much for the info. I was under the initial thought that puppy data including any drivers were saved to disc. I have a much better understanding of the dynamics of it now. And thanks for the info on the multi session as I was not sure about that. Surprisingly puppy had the drivers for the cards. The only other O.S. I've ran across that recognizes USB sticks for wifi out of the box is Fuduntu.

I tested it and I am very impressed. I made the mistake of assuming that because of the small size of puppy, it wouldn't work in situations where others failed. I was wrong.

Another thing that impressed me is that if you have more than 1 wifi device on your PC, it will let you choose which one instead of trying to make them both wlan0 or 1

Thanks much to all. :D