kirk

Fatdog64-620beta3

#1 Post by kirk »

Beta2 release notes:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84722

Changes since beta2:

Updates:
* Update libGLU to 9.0.0
* Update netdiscover to 03-03-13 without manufacture ID's to reduce size.
* Sign Kernel. Overlooked in beta2.
* Update dnsmasq to 2.65 (latest)
* Update pmusic to 3.2.3 (latest)
* Drop old cdrkit-1.11.1 and replace with cdrtools-3.01a13 (latest)
* Linux-3.8.6
* Seamonkey-2.17
* Flash Player 11.2.202.275
* glipper-lite revision 284 replaces glipper 0.95.1
* mongoose fix for cgi SCRIPT_NAME handling
* Avidemux-2.6.3
* bigreqsproto-1.1.2
* dri2proto-2.8
* fontsproto-2.1.2
* glproto-1.4.16
* inputproto-2.3
* kbproto-1.0.6
* libpciaccess-0.13.1
* libdrm-2.4.42
* MesaLib-9.1.1
* mtdev-1.1.3
* randrproto-1.4.0
* recordproto-1.14.2
* scrnsaverproto-1.2.2
* util-macros-1.16.2
* xcmiscproto-1.2.2
* xextproto-7.2.1
* xf86-input-evdev-2.8.0
* xf86-input-keyboard-1.7.0
* xf86-input-mouse-1.9.0
* xf86-input-wacom-0.20.0
* xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.3.tar.gz
* xf86-video-intel-2.21.5
* xf86-video-modesetting-0.7.0
* xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.7
* xf86-video-nv-2.1.20
* xf86-video-openchrome-0.3.2
* xf86-video-sis-0.10.7
* xf86-video-vesa-2.3.2
* xf86-video-vmware-13.0.0
* xorg-server-1.12.4
* xproto-7.0.23
* background_reshape updated to wjaguar's change: [http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 028#695028]
* guess_fstype updated to upstream, supports f2fs detection (20130205) [http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00127]
* mkfs.f2fs from git commit fef98ebd

New Features:
* New dialer that should work with dial-up, 3G and GPRS modems (Also replaces Blackberry-modem)
* New soundcard manager to set default soundcards (as well as a few other options)
* Bluetooth support (mouse, audio-streaming and bluetooth modems tested)
* Sample dnsmasq.conf which can be used for netbooting with minimal amount of work.
* Add CPUtemp, not enabled by default and perl sensors-detect not included.
* Add alternative Grub Legacy installer (legacy_grub_2013-1.1) - thanks rcrsn51
* Add peasyglue-1.3 - thanks rcrsn51
* Game Armagetronad Advanced.
* Move kernel source to separate sfs file. Makes administration less problematic for us.
* Add brctl (bridge_utils-1.5)
* Add dhcpcd-3.2.3 added to /usr/local/bin
* Minimal f2fs support - ability to read/write f2fs formatted partition

Note about bluetooth support:
* Bluetooth support is disabled by default, you need to enable the bluetooth service first.
* You may need to get a firmware for your bluetooth devices to work.
* obexd isn't installed (available in the repo). So far only object push is supported,
object pull (that is, retrieving something from the bluetooth device) isn't supported
so that's why it is not included by default.

Fatdog64 just keeps getting fatter, and not mainly because of additions, but updated packages are always bigger. Seamonkey grew 2MB from 2.16 to 2.17. Hopefully things are getting better too.

The kernel sources have been separated into it's own sfs file named kernel-source-3.8.6 for this release. This makes it easier for us to update due to limitations in Fossil.

Xorg-server has been updated to 1.12.4, we started to just grab the latest version, but 1.12.4 is the latest version that is well supported by AMD/ATI. There is also a libvdpau with Mesa vdpau pet in the repo ( http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/6 ... -9.1.1.pet ) Flash player will use this to provide smoother playback, but right now it's only for Nouveau, r300, and r600. I think the other cards will follow later this year.

If you use the new bluethooth support and need firmware, let us know what firmware you use so we can include it. Links to the firmware is appreciated.

There a new game in there too, kind of fun.

Make sure you use a new save file/save folder, especially if you installed a kernel module

Also, if you use a save folder make sure it's on a ext2/3/4 partition.

Just like with beta1 and beta2, it is a UEFI dual hybrid iso. Which adds 10MB to the size of the iso. You can dd the iso to a flash drive and boot on BIOS computers or UEFI computers with or without secure boot. See the FAQs for all the details.

Get it here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/
Last edited by kirk on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.

kirk

#2 Post by kirk »

-

Hans

split initrd and LUKS

#3 Post by Hans »

Hello Jamesbond, encountered the following two issues in beta2, and is probably related to the bug I reported last week.

1-when I start the system sfs loader, the fd64-620.sfs is listed in available sfs files, but obviously it is already loaded. Not a problem, but a bit confusing.

2-I get an error when I try to enlarge the dmcript savefile, see pic.

Hopefully it is corrected in beta3, I did not test this in beta3.

cheers[/img]
Attachments
enlarge luks save file.png
error on enlarging
(11.47 KiB) Downloaded 3994 times

Billtoo

Fatdog64-620beta3

#4 Post by Billtoo »

I installed beta 3 to a SDHC card with the fatdog installer.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Mon 8 Apr 2013 on Fatdog64 620 Linux 3.8.6 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 68e0
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: PARK 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz
Core 0: @1199 1: @1199 2: @1199 3: @1199 MHz
Network controller Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter
(PCI-Express) (rev 01)

The builtin wireless adapter won't work properly as it keeps
resetting and losing the connection.
I'm using my Linksys WUSB54GC 802.11g Adapter [ralink rt73] instead
and it's working fine.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(26.38 KiB) Downloaded 4098 times

kirk

#5 Post by kirk »

Billtoo,

With your ath9k wireless can you try:

Code: Select all

echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

And then reboot

OR

rmmod ath9k
modprobe ath9k
Then right click on Wpa_gui and select Restart Connection.

If it still fails can you post the output of dmesg?

jamesbond

Re: split initrd and LUKS

#6 Post by jamesbond »

Thanks Hans.
Hopefully it is corrected in beta3, I did not test this in beta3.
No, not yet. What you mention will still happen in beta3, so don't bother to test it there :oops:
1-when I start the system sfs loader, the fd64-620.sfs is listed in available sfs files, but obviously it is already loaded. Not a problem, but a bit confusing.
Agree. I usually run with the big initrd so this isn't a problem, but you're right. I'll enhance load_sfs to ignore the system sfs.
2-I get an error when I try to enlarge the dmcript savefile, see pic.
You are right, resize savefile doesn't support encrypted savefile right now. I'll see what I can do about it.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

#7 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote:Billtoo,
With your ath9k wireless can you try:

And then reboot
That fixed it, thanks.

gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Kirk & @JameBond

This continues to be a stellar distro. Its speed is uncanny and the functionality it offers is great. All systems since 2008 have enormously more than enough RAM to accommodate tiny FATDOG and the many additional services that deliver with it. For what we get in improvements and functionality, more than eclipses the minute growth you mention.

This system is GREAT!

No issues at the moment. Thanks

Billtoo

Fatdog64-620beta3

#9 Post by Billtoo »

I made a pet of the latest jwm snapshot, it's working okay for me.
Attachments
jwm-724-x86_64.pet
(84.78 KiB) Downloaded 1233 times

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

This system is incredible fast. I have a V52x FATDOG that has been a system used for several years. I rebooted it with beta3 and externally, I must say this is even faster.

System booted as Multisession DVD to allow save-session back to DVD media (same as all the years of FATDOG5.xx). Running pristine on desktop, I reset hostname and started swap via "swapon /dev/sda" command.
Enclosed as a reference, is a system report of RAM and Hardinfo. Note that the RAM use in extremely small allowing tremendous space for user applications and user files. .

Along with new functionality, this is "Just Incredible", again.

Here to help
Attachments
System_report.tar.gz
RAM - Hardinfo report
(9.14 KiB) Downloaded 1183 times

kirk

#11 Post by kirk »

Thanks guys for testing. If you have a wireless card that uses ath9k please test what Billtoo did:

And reboot. I'm considering making this the default.

If you have a Synaptics or Alps touchpad please test with the attached pet. After installing you'll have to rmmod psmouse and then modprobe psmouse. Or you can just reboot. This pet contains a psmouse.ko module that's been patched to support newer Alps touch pads. If you can test it, let me know if it breaks anything with your touch pad. If you have a newer Alps touchpad that "Adjust Touch Pad" in Control panel would error on this might fix it.
Attachments
psmouse-040813.pet
(34.43 KiB) Downloaded 1210 times

Ray MK

#12 Post by Ray MK »

Just burnt to dvd-rw and booted, initial impressions are very good. Insanely fast and almost no resource usage - nice.

For some reason my normal process of a manual frugal install to an SDcard failed. Used grub4dos as normal, which normally works fine.
FD64 is setting root as hd0.0 - I think it needs to be set as hd1.0 (sdb1 SDcard). Not sure how to make that happen ?

Brain gone soft - root hd1.0 - in menu.lst should work - shouldn't it ?

Not the end of the world, as presumably, I can now install from dvd to SDcard (sdb1) using Fatdog installer.

# uname -a
Linux fatdog64-284 3.8.6 #1 SMP Fri Apr 5 17:01:02 EDT 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
#
# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1784816 703516 1081300 0 60448
-/+ buffers: 643068 1141748
Swap: 0 0 0
#
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
not a gz. rename as html
(46.76 KiB) Downloaded 1137 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-620beta3

#13 Post by Billtoo »

I made pets of the latest Midnight Commander file manager, the slang pet is a required dependency.
The download links are:

slang-2.2.0-x86_64.pet

http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/7198dd15

mc_NLS-4.8.8-x86_64.pet

http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/04c6c428

mc-4.8.8-x86_64.pet

http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/608e6133
Attachments
mcscreen.jpg
(90.8 KiB) Downloaded 3764 times

gcmartin

Access your LAN's NAS or resources

#14 Post by gcmartin »

MOUNT Error message

# mount //192.168.143.234/HDD_a /mnt/NAS2 -o username=yours,password=yours-too
mount error(38): Function not implemented
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
Anyone having problem accessing LAN resources from either your Linux/Apple?windows PCs where things worked properly with the older FATDOG releases, be aware:
With the current implementation of FATDOG, I find that it is REQUIRED to add "sec=ntlm"... at least for now. For example

mount //192.168.1.24/HDD_a /mnt/your-NAS -o sec=ntlm,username=yours,password=yours-too
           or
mount.cifs //192.168.1.24/HDD_a /mnt/your-NAS -o sec=ntlm,username=yours,password=yours-too
Here to help

kirk

#15 Post by kirk »

With the current implementation of FATDOG, I find that it is REQUIRED to add "sec=ntlm"... at least for now.
Yep, that's a bug the CIFS maintainers put into Linux-3.8. They don't call it a bug, but I do.

gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

Running Live via DVD with save-session to the DVD disc.
Several items to report

#1 - ISOs
  • Remaster of system does not produce an ISO which boots (only 34K) when accepting defaults to remaster.
  • After ISOmaster install, ROX right-click on an ISO file does not show ISOmaster as a right-click option
  • ROX right-click on an ISO file, selecting BurnISO2CD: BurnISO2Cd does not use the ISO file-path. (PBURN does use the ISO file-path.)
  • Opening a terminal, and typing "burniso2cd ISO's_file-path" -- BurnISO2Cd does not use the ISO file-path, here, either. Could this script be adjusted to use the $1 file-path given on the command line?
#2 - HARDINFO
On Hardinfo, selecting Computer (top-most-line in left pane), RAM is not shown in right-pane

#3 - LOSING ABILITY TO OPEN-CLOSE-MANIPULATE DESKTOP WINDOWS.
Irregularly, the desktop is losing its ability for mouse-click and keyboard use.. This requires a desktop restart via Ctrl-Alt-Bkspace.
When trying xorgwizard to change the video driver (like VESA), Desktop will not restart. Video is nVidia PCIe 250-SLI. Reboot required. EAch time unable to capture dmesg.

Anyone else notice similar desktop problems?
Attachments
MissingRAM.png
RAM is missing values.
(84.3 KiB) Downloaded 1757 times

jamesbond

#17 Post by jamesbond »

Hans,

Here's a patch for load_sfs and savefile tool that should solve the two issues you mention: the sfs loader won't show base sfs, and the ability to resize (ie enlarge) encrypted savefile. Let me know how it goes with you.

Thanks gcmartin for the report.
gcmartin wrote:*Remaster of system does not produce an ISO which boots (only 34K) when accepting defaults to remaster.
I tried this booting a clean LiveDVD, start the remaster tool and just click "Next" all the time. I got a 209MB ISO file (which isn't bootable because I didn't select the kernel, I just click "Next" when asked). How did you end up with 34k?
* After ISOmaster install, ROX right-click on an ISO file does not show ISOmaster as a right-click option
Won't fix, this isn't a problem. You can easily assign right-click yourself if you wish.
* ROX right-click on an ISO file, selecting BurnISO2CD: BurnISO2Cd does not use the ISO file-path. (PBURN does use the ISO file-path.)
burniso2cd doesn't support specifying filename on its invocation. I will remove all "burn with burniso2cd" right clicks.
* Opening a terminal, and typing "burniso2cd ISO's_file-path" -- BurnISO2Cd does not use the ISO file-path, here, either. Could this script be adjusted to use the $1 file-path given on the command line?
No. This is Barry's original CD burner script, it is kept there for the last resort in case Pburn fails for whatever reason (very unlikely). it is old and hasn't been updated for a very long time, I may want to consider removing this script altogether.
#3 - LOSING ABILITY TO OPEN-CLOSE-MANIPULATE DESKTOP WINDOWS.
Irregularly, the desktop is losing its ability for mouse-click and keyboard use.. This requires a desktop restart via Ctrl-Alt-Bkspace.
When trying xorgwizard to change the video driver (like VESA), Desktop will not restart. Video is nVidia PCIe 250-SLI. Reboot required. EAch time unable to capture dmesg.

Anyone else notice similar desktop problems?
How soon does this happen? If after how many hours you've got a problem? Did you notice a particular pattern? Anyway, please do this: add the "loadmodules=nouveau" as the boot parameter when you boot and see if you've got any improvement. If no, please add "nouveau.noaccel=1" and see whether you've got any improvement.
"Improvement" here means the time between crash with those parameters is longer than without (or hopefully, no crash altogether).

cheers!

EDIT: Forgot to add the attachment for Hans.
Attachments
patch-01.pet
(6.12 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks@JamesBond.

I setup beta3 on the other X2 which has nvidia on the motherboard. It, too has issues as well. (same as I found in LH64). I am rebooting each of the 2 systems with the nouveau parm and will provide news, tomorrow.

On bootiso2cd, the issues are the same for ALL PUPs. It does work; just doesn't lend itself to right-click implementation in its present state.

On Remaster, I did save screen shots of each step of the path taken and will get those to you.

Here to help

JustGreg

#19 Post by JustGreg »

I tried the EFI-stub boot with a USB flash drive and rEFInd. It worked without a problem. The signed kernel was recognized and FatDobg 64 booted directly. Here is the entry in refind.conf file that I used:

menuentry "Fatdog64 Linux" {
	icon /EFI/boot/icons/fatdog_logo.icns
	volume FS1:
#	loader /EFI/grub2/grub2.efi
	loader /EFI/boot/vmlinuz.efi
	initrd /EFI/boot/initrd
	options "root=UUID=####-#### waitdev=5 pmedia=usb"
}
File vmlinuz.efi is the normal kernel with efi extension. This helps rEFInd find the kernel. The value ####-#### is the identifying value for the partition with save file or directory. The waitdev=5, allows the kernel to find the USB device which respond slower.

I did try a hard disk installation. Without loadmodule=raedon, I got the failures to stop the X server. I had two failures and two successes.

I have an idea that I will try tomorrow. I am going to try just booting with the EFIstub and rEFInd on the hard disk. I will report the results.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

JustGreg

#20 Post by JustGreg »

I have Beta3 on my hard disk booting directly from rEFInd and not using grub2. It works well. Boots quickly. The biggest delay is the loading of the initrd file.

I did try booting without loadmodule=radeon. However, it did not work properly. After load the initrd and sfs files, things were static for a good two minute period, then, many console messages, all going by too fast to read. The X server did start with a mouse cursor and desktop display. But, the menu bar at the bottom is missing and there are no responses to mouse selections (i.e. clicking on the terminal icon does not bring up a console terminal window). I had to use the power button to shut down the system.

The good news is with the loadmodule=radeon option, everything seems to work well.

Here is the "refind.conf" entry that works the best on my hard drive:

menuentry "Fatdog64 Linux Beta3" {
	icon /EFI/boot/icons/fatdog_logo.icns
#	volume FATDOG_LIVE
#	loader /EFI/grub2/grub2.efi
	loader /EFI/boot/vmlinuz.efi
	initrd /EFI/boot/initrd
	options "root=UUID=####-####-####-####-############ savefile=direct:device:sda3:/fd64save loadmodules=radeon" 
}
The sequence of ### is UUID value of the partition to be root.
Last edited by JustGreg on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much