Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
umair

Re: Carolina - 0.0.6-rc

#641 Post by umair »

Geoffrey wrote: umair, there is a checkbox top left of the package manager, this turns off the auto updater for the Carolina repo, the reason it was added is that we often update the repo, so when the manager is first run it will give you the latest Carolina software updates. :)
Thanks for reply Geoffrey:
Thats nice option to add auto update. Never noticed that :).
Regards
UMAIR

Marv

release candidate

#642 Post by Marv »

Hi Elroy and Geoffrey.

Is there a changelog for Carolina-0.0.6-rc wrt 0.0.5? Mostly interested in the infrastructure. Rotated my laptop stock and now have a lifebook with PAE and a reasonable amount of power so Carolina will be one of the OS's on it. Have alphaOS touchpadding, lid suspending, and CPU governing on it at this point also. Lina-Lite remains the main OS on the other Pentium M non-PAE lifebooks.

Jim
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

Re: Carolina - 0.0.6-rc

#643 Post by elroy »

umair wrote: Also tell me about the future release of Carolina.
Hi umair,

Geoffrey's explanation about the auto-updating of the ppm is right on target. As far as the release version is concerned, it won't be too much different from the release candidate version. The reported bugs will be fixed and there will be some cosmetic changes (new default wallpaper, right-click enhancements). After that, any new releases will be updates to packages, but that will be about it.

EDIT: I guess I left out an important part. We will also be releasing Carolina as both PAE and non-PAE versions. If someone downloads the PAE release version, they will be able to download a non-PAE delta in order to create the non-PAE release version.

elroy

Re: release candidate

#644 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Hi Elroy and Geoffrey.

Is there a changelog for Carolina-0.0.6-rc wrt 0.0.5? Mostly interested in the infrastructure. Rotated my laptop stock and now have a lifebook with PAE and a reasonable amount of power so Carolina will be one of the OS's on it. Have alphaOS touchpadding, lid suspending, and CPU governing on it at this point also. Lina-Lite remains the main OS on the other Pentium M non-PAE lifebooks.

Jim
Hey Marv,
In the end there was no infrastructure changes. We've decided it'd be best to port our vision of xfce to a new base in the future, and leave Carolina as is in that sense. We've updated some of the packages used in 005, and added to some of the scripts (uninstall, and for the release, there will be a couple of new right-click menu options).

I replaced UMplayer with SMplayer due to broken YouTube support in UMplayer (and the fact that UMplayer is no longer being developed). Also, we replaced Firefox/Thunderbird with Seamonkey as the default browser/email client due to the incompatibility with newer versions of Firefox/Thunderbird with the Wary glibc-2.10. LibreOffice was updated to the latest version, too. A few other minor changes, but nothing concerning the infrastructure. Nice to hear from you....it's been awhile. :)

Sage

#645 Post by Sage »

Only just noticed your return, el - thought we'd lost Carolina. Great news.
replaced Firefox/Thunderbird with Seamonkey
Not so good. Setting aside my own prejudice against SM, you'll have noticed a lot of problems with it recently, along with adverse comments about FF and other Mozilla antics. Micko found one issue with Opera recently, but it's still the fastest, most reliable, and probably smallest. The Norwegian developers are exceptionally responsive to suggestions and assistance, so it's still the best bet, even though BK doesn't use it. All the other browsers have issues, too! Except Dillo?!

inoxidabile

#646 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi elroy,

I checked the last Carolina 006_rc, it seems a good step ahead :)

I have seen some strange behavior and maybe they are bugs:
- It's not enough to click on the X at the top right corner of Seamonkey to close it, because in this way it remains active with an icon on the left low corner on panel.
To really stop it needs to select quit on its menu (or the same shortcut on keys, of course).
I don't have the same feel as Sage for Opera, personally I prefer Firefox interface... I see the reason to put Seamonkey instead, but in my opinion it's not so responsive even if it should be similar.
- The resolution change is good and it seems better than the previous, now I found immediately the right one for my needs and it correctly fit the screen, with noveau. But, if I try to change it again, accepting to start xorg wizard the system hangs up.
- Now there isn't the main menu by clicking on any position on screen.
- I still think that it could be better to have a "waiting signal" because there are programs taking some seconds to start.

Just a little last note.
I asked You about the "auto-update" of Firefox... having a look in Preferences-Advanced-Updates, I have seen that the default option is set on automatic, so I think it has been the problem I told You. :)

rg66

#647 Post by rg66 »

inoxidabile wrote: - It's not enough to click on the X at the top right corner of Seamonkey to close it, because in this way it remains active with an icon on the left low corner on panel.
To really stop it needs to select quit on its menu (or the same shortcut on keys, of course).
Got to Tools>Add-ons Manager and disable or remove FireTray, restart browser. This will allow closing Seamonkey normally.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

inoxidabile

#648 Post by inoxidabile »

Thank You rg66 for the note about Seamonkey :)

About the clicking for menu, I solved by myself (changing the mouse... :oops:), but I can confirm the other two points:
- The system becomes completely stopped the second time I run the xorg wizard. There are no way to resume it and I have to switch off :(
- There are some programs and processes requiring some seconds to start. It isn't a problem in itself but in my opinion it isn't good when you click and nothing happens on screen, so maybe it could be better to have any "waiting signal" (like running clock or whatsoever). :?

umair

#649 Post by umair »

hello:
I am facing an issue. When ever I want to access a memory stick of my Cell phone as USB Drive, carolina detects it as USB 3G Modem. I checked on different flavors of Puppy Linux. Works only on Lucid 528 (I can access the folders and files of memory stick like a normal USB drive) , but mostly saluki/ carolina and slako detects it as USB 3G Modem. Can anyone have an idea how to force carolina to access the memory card of my cell phone?
Thnx in advance.
UMAIR

inoxidabile

#650 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi umair,

It's strange this different behavior and I have to say that I haven't any sure trick to suggest... I'm not skilled enough !
Never the less, in my opinion it could be interesting to check how the system recognize the usb.
The only things I have in mind are:
- to have a look using gparted, and
- to see the result of command lsusb in terminal

shelezyaka

#651 Post by shelezyaka »

umair wrote: When ever I want to access a memory stick of my Cell phone as USB Drive, carolina detects it as USB 3G Modem.
Usually when the phone menu appears with the question - how it wants to use. In a modem or card. In some phones, this switching occurs in the phone settings.
This is it automatically switches to the modem usb_modeswitch.

elroy

#652 Post by elroy »

umair wrote:hello:
I am facing an issue. When ever I want to access a memory stick of my Cell phone as USB Drive, carolina detects it as USB 3G Modem. I checked on different flavors of Puppy Linux. Works only on Lucid 528 (I can access the folders and files of memory stick like a normal USB drive) , but mostly saluki/ carolina and slako detects it as USB 3G Modem. Can anyone have an idea how to force carolina to access the memory card of my cell phone?
Thnx in advance.
UMAIR
I can access my smart-phone (android) as a camera. I can also access the folders by installing an ftp app to the cell-phone, and then accessing it via FireFtp. Either way, there's so much new hardware out there in terms of cell-phones, that it'd be nearly impossible to address each case individually. If you find a solution, be sure to post it; it may be relevant to another user looking to do the same...

elroy

testing...

#653 Post by elroy »

I've uploaded another test delta based off of the 006-rc version. Barring any major bugs that may be discovered, this will more than likely be the template for the release version of Carolina.

elroy

#654 Post by elroy »

Sage wrote:Only just noticed your return, el - thought we'd lost Carolina. Great news.
replaced Firefox/Thunderbird with Seamonkey
Not so good. Setting aside my own prejudice against SM, you'll have noticed a lot of problems with it recently, along with adverse comments about FF and other Mozilla antics. Micko found one issue with Opera recently, but it's still the fastest, most reliable, and probably smallest. The Norwegian developers are exceptionally responsive to suggestions and assistance, so it's still the best bet, even though BK doesn't use it. All the other browsers have issues, too! Except Dillo?!
Dillo isn't satisfactory for a modern distro...certainly usefull as an html viewer, but not as the default browser...it lacks too much functionality.. Nor is Midori...too many bugs. However, I agree with you in terms of Opera. That said, Seamonkey is a soft landing from the FF that was used in previous versions of Carolina. Also, it takes care of two birds with one stone...namely, the email client. But I'm with you concerning Opera; I think it is underrated. But for Carolina, Seamonkey is the solution to the upgrading woes....however, future versions of Carolina may vary. We reserve the right to change the default browser as we feel necessary..

umair

#655 Post by umair »

@ shelezyaka : when I connect my cell phone through a cable using usb port. the cell phone gave me an option to choose as USB or COMport. I obviously choose as USB.
@ Elroy: I m searching on the web, when ever I solved to do that I will post here.
Thanx & Regards
UMAIR

Sage

#656 Post by Sage »

Greetings, el.
Dillo isn't satisfactory for a modern distro
Good gracious, not recommending Dillo as a permanent fixture. Means to an end for folks to find and install their preferred apps., ie an adjunct to PPM to enable basic browsing. Someone is reporting the latest Links as a similar interim option. Apparently Links has major strides in development; did I see a graphics version or is those old spots before the eyes?!
Whatever, the Moz. Foundation isn't what it used to be - bloat, crashes, freezing, etc seem to crop up daily in complaints. This morning's radio highlighting the data-mining excesses of Google/Android and Facebook.

Pete22

rc 6 issues

#657 Post by Pete22 »

I downloaded rc 6 and checked the md5. All was well.

Frugal install to compaq presario R4000 with adrive, zdrive,
puppy_lina_006.sfs, inird.gz and vmlinuz.

When Booting up I got a message that the main file puppy_lina_006.sfs,
failed to load: invalid argument. However, Carolina does continue to boot
to the desktop.

Stuff appears to be missing from the menu like Office and Internet.
I was able to get online with no problem!.
I downloaded firefox 16 and told it not to update.

I recopied the main file puppy_lina_006.sfs and rebooted.
Still got same message as before.

Tried it with a new savefile still the same message.

What should I do now?

Pete

Geoffrey

Re: rc 6 issues

#658 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete22 wrote:I downloaded rc 6 and checked the md5. All was well.

Frugal install to compaq presario R4000 with adrive, zdrive,
puppy_lina_006.sfs, inird.gz and vmlinuz.

When Booting up I got a message that the main file puppy_lina_006.sfs,
failed to load: invalid argument. However, Carolina does continue to boot
to the desktop.

Stuff appears to be missing from the menu like Office and Internet.
I was able to get online with no problem!.
I downloaded firefox 16 and told it not to update.

I recopied the main file puppy_lina_006.sfs and rebooted.
Still got same message as before.

Tried it with a new savefile still the same message.

What should I do now?

Pete
That's strange Pete, if the md5 is correct then it must be ok, the copy I have the md5 is

Code: Select all

986b4f9d8aa8dd81ee99ce4743b02ed7  lina-006-rc.iso
though I did create a new ISO with the latest delta that is HERE which I'm testing at the moment, this version doesn't have any of the problems you mention.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Marv

intel 5300AGN firmware location

#659 Post by Marv »

Hi Geoffrey and Elroy,

Firstboot of 006rc (sans adrive) on a fujitsu s6520 lifebook. Gma4500 video, core 2 duo, true synaptics touchpad, 2 Gb DDR3 mem, SATA SSD, frugal Grub4dos install. Everything seems ok ootb except wireless. The intel 5300AGN wireless uses iwlwifi, which is present but mislocated.

The firmware ucode is at: /lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware
It should be at: /lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware/iwlwifi

Moving it (adding the missing iwlwifi directory) brought up the 5300AGN wireless straightaway.

Posting from it now using my opera that lives in the commons (boot partition).

Guess I'm on Carolina_006rc Lite 8)
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Pete22

Re: rc 6 issues

#660 Post by Pete22 »

Geoffrey wrote:
That's strange Pete, if the md5 is correct then it must be ok, the copy I have the md5 is

Code: Select all

986b4f9d8aa8dd81ee99ce4743b02ed7  lina-006-rc.iso
though I did create a new ISO with the latest delta that is HERE which I'm testing at the moment, this version doesn't have any of the problems you mention.
Geoffrey:

Your new file did the trick. Thank you very much. :D

Pete