SwitchPup - puplet for the severely disabled

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
greengeek

SwitchPup - puplet for the severely disabled

#1 Post by greengeek »

"SwitchPup" is intended to be a series of pups which include the "radar" (or alternatively the "navbar") scripts written by SFR. These are just my own versions based on my own experimentation. They are not "official releases" in any way, but I hope you find them useful.

**** Please check all of the first 3 posts for different SwitchPup styles****

They allow a user to control all functions by using only a single switch (eg a chin operated switch etc), and this switch is currently required to be connected onto the Pause/Break key on the keyboard as requested by forum member standard7452 here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84617 (also there are other good alternative suggestions being discussed there and there will no doubt be better-constructed isos than mine :-) )
Tutorial discussing possible keyboard mods to attach external switches here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 282#711282

Radar versions :

****** New version *******
September 2 2013

This version is based on Pemasu's Upup-raring3.9.9.2 which is a good match for all my hardware.
(It is functionally very similar to the previous Precise version but also includes an Abiword version that can write docx). It may also have improved booting on some machines.
- Includes "DragWindow" functionality for greater useability.
Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/aae0b ... .0.0.9.iso
md5: b00857dc91591016c8faded99691cdb8

these Radar_firstrun puppies are configured to allow Radar to start earlier during the boot process so that the disabled user can interact with the firstrun setup screen to choose different keyboard or language etc. It also includes SFR's Keyhunter script which automatically sets up the correct "event" and "keycode" number for the keyswitch that is being used. This means that the system can be used without having to be set up manually by someone else first and means that it is easy to use a simple pluggable usb version of the keyboard mod if trialling switchpup on a variety of systems.

I prefer to make these isos "RAM only" versions so that you can test them safely without them grabbing any pre-existing savefiles. You can create a savefile at shutdown time if you wish to install permanently.

Other version based on Precise puppy:
August 7 2013
http://www.mediafire.com/download/62z1c ... AMonly.iso
md5: 512215b60ad24c96b11176648938c8f3
- Solved bug with Abiword not opening a file when icon clicked.
- Repositioned desktop icons to allow better navbar geometry.
- Included "DragWindow" function (allows you to grab the window anywhere - much easier than trying to grab the title bar)
- Screenlock icon no longer a problem (per Ted Dog request).
- Tap-to-click disabled to avoid accidental mouse jumps.
- pupdesk.flg disabled to improve booting.
- welcome splash moved upwards to minimise clash with initial keyhunter dialog.

Previous versions of Radarfirstrun_RAMonly:
(These earlier versions not recommended due to an Abiword bug - but temporarily included here for reference)
August 1 2013
http://www.mediafire.com/download/hdg42 ... AMonly.iso
md5: 364657f6b7442cbc2079fd70440157b0

July 29 2013
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pv8dk ... AMonly.iso
md5: 0761879124b87b6e5282cc441f429edc

Earlier version:
April 11 2013:
SwitchPup_Radar1b_Communicator

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3qyvac5bs ... icator.iso
md5=8cc9b5bfa5879ac642a6d406d6ec530c

This version uses SFR's radar1b, which includes the gui for changing radar parameters if required. I have positioned radar to allow a clear space for vertical scrollbars, and xfce window controls keep the windows in useful places.

It starts up with leafpad open so the user can start typing a message immediately, and if desired the user can use the radar menu to select xvkbd mode to "scan" across the xvkbd keyboard for faster typing.

The Opera font pet is in /root (just doubleclick it) for users who want to improve the readability of the inbuilt Opera. (which comes set up with flashblock and also works ok with youtube)

Radar gui is in /usr/local/apps/radar1bmod (look for radar-config). If you want to use the zoom slider at the bottom right of opera it is worth using the radar gui to move the radar screen to bottom centre so it doesn't overlap the zoomer.

Original version:
April 5 2013
SwitchPup_radar0.8
My first version is based on RacyNOP532 and includes radar 0.8
It has basic functionality and is aimed at being a "sampler" so that end users can easily get to grips with the way a "one-switch" pup operates. It will not be everyones cup of tea as it uses XFCE and has had major browsers and word processing stripped out of it - allowing the user to select their preferred versions from elsewhere.

It does have Opera - but I have not yet added the font improvements that will enhance readability. I would recommend SeaMonkey.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q0ulcvsd0 ... _Basic.iso

Backup download link and md5 (thanks o1micko!)
o1micko wrote:Here's another download link:
http://smokey01.com/01micko/greengeek/S ... _Basic.iso

30dbd28412e611e603bc507c1277a10d SwitchPup_RacyNOP532_Radar0.8_Basic.iso
Attachments
SwitchPup_radar1b_communicator.jpg
(80.36 KiB) Downloaded 8824 times
Last edited by greengeek on Wed 04 Sep 2013, 07:48, edited 37 times in total.

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

NavBar versions :

Navbar_Communicator_Basic:

I have used an early version of SFR's Navbar to make a simple communicator which can be used as a live CD or for install. It is configured to start with Leafpad open so the user can begin typing immediately and the text appears in leafpad. (I decided to configure Navbar for visual simplicity using the "4-arrow" system and a slower "roll speed". Also, leafpad is configured with wordwrap on, so as long as there are spaces between words it will not be necessary to be using the horizontal scroll bar to view the whole text)

Users can still add their preferred word processor, browse the internet or use other programs as needed.

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mzhu922u4 ... rBasic.iso

# MD5
dda0300febfde723ddab107d489e2857 SwitchPup_RacyNOP532_Navbar0.4_CommunicatorBasic.iso

I will be adding other versions incorporating the broader functionality found in newer Navbar versions, but will be away from my PC for about a month.

I have also included an "Opera font improvement" pet which some users may want to install to improve the usability of Opera (This pet can be found stored in /root - just doubleclick the font pet file and wait for it to self-install and update it's help file). Opera font thread here:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 051#478051
Attachments
SwitchPupNavbarCommunicatorBasic1.jpg
(78.1 KiB) Downloaded 9130 times
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 11 Apr 2013, 19:25, edited 6 times in total.

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

Updated 26th July 2013

AUTOSTART version

I have made an "Autostart" version based on Precise 5.6.1 with the intention of making it possible for the disabled user to get started without waiting for someone else to do the configuration. In the simplest case, just place the CD in the drive, boot the PC and wait for the desktop. The "firstrun" wizard completes by itself and leaves the desktop ready for use.

It can be run from a LiveCD or installed as a frugal and run without a savefile.

This is set up to ignore any savefiles at boot time - which has the advantage of better safety during trials, as well as some disadvantages like inability to add new bookmarks etc(although it includes a small list of useful ones...) but I am hoping this 'Live boot straight to desktop' proves useful because of the simplicity of booting a PC without having to tinker with configuration screens. (Actually you don't even have to be disabled to derive benefit from that feature. I'm hoping to finetune this to be a good general purpose Live pup for other users too...)

****New version :****

August 1 2013
Switchpup_precise561_AutoStart_RAMonly_0.0.5 available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gozne ... AMonly.iso
md5: 80fe83361ecbf43454c80cae911d45f6

- fixed problem with second boot failing start of X server due to pupdesk.flg incorrectly set.
- moved screenlock icon.
- flsynclient modified to turn off tap-to-click
- Added a couple of Oneswitch links to bookmarks

This version now contains the "keyhunter" function from SFR - which means that you can use the internal keyboard, external keyboard or a hotpluggable oneswitch interface plugged into any usb port and keyhunter will identify the "event number" and "keycode" straight after booting. No external help is necessary. Very quick to get functional with this release.

On my system (hooked up via network cable to a normal ADSL router) the internet connection is immediately available without any configuration requirements, so that should be the case for most other people as well I expect. Just click on the browse icon and you are online. Obviously wireless connection would require use of the internet connection wizard.

I recommend users click on desktop 1 for activities requiring the keyboard, and desktops 2 and 3 for mounting/unmounting, file manipulation and other activities (especially when using smaller screen resolutions)

The inbuilt "quicksetup" routines during the boot process seem to do a very good job of selecting resolutions (at least on my machines...)

I am keen to receive any feedback regarding which machines this works well on (it is mostly targeted at PCs around 5-10 years old...) and would also like to know what features users would like added in (preferred bookmarks, window positions etc etc). It seems to work reasonably well but there is a lot of further finetuning to do...

(Thanks SFR for the scripting help, ETP for MagooPupV6 which I use for remastering and initrd.gz editing, and Mikeslr for ongoing ideas)

Previous versions:

July 26 2013
Switchpup_precise561_AutoStart_RAMonly_0.0.4 available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/95uma ... AMonly.iso
md5: 615e1196013fe8cbfb6fbf677cd08c05

Switchpup_precise561_AutoStart_RAMonly_0.0.3 available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ob1pk ... AMonly.iso
md5: 09d5fee7793a29c30af7a879710ae80d
(This version needs to use the internal or ps/2 keyboard defaulting to event0 and keycode119 unless an external user adjusts the oneswitch settings to accomodate any other keyboard. The newer version handles other hotpluggable keyboards automatically)
Attachments
initial_desktop.jpg
(79.69 KiB) Downloaded 8403 times
Abi screenie.jpg
(91.99 KiB) Downloaded 8355 times
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 01 Aug 2013, 18:20, edited 15 times in total.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

FYI, unable to download

:)

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

ally wrote:FYI, unable to download
Hi Ally, not sure why that is. I'm seeing other downloads going out ok. Could you give it another go please? thx.

ally

#6 Post by ally »

hey GG

get the following:

You are not authorised to access the web page at http://199.91.153.250/tr8g5zaxaamg/q0ul ... _Basic.iso. You may need to sign in.
HTTP Error 403 (Forbidden): The server refused to fulfill the request.

I have tried clearing browser cache and alternative browser too, will keep trying

SFR

#7 Post by SFR »

Nicely done. :)
And no probs with d/l here.

@Ally: long shot - maybe right-click & save as..?
Or try through http://www.anonproxy.eu/

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

Coming down ok here too, when done I'll upload.

SFR's idea is good, there may be some weird UK filter .. :roll:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ally

#9 Post by ally »

hey sfr

thanks for the proxy link, worked a charm - wan't able to get to webpage previously

01micko

#10 Post by 01micko »

Hi greengeek

Here's another download link:

http://smokey01.com/01micko/greengeek/S ... _Basic.iso

I couldn't see a checksum so here it is: (checked after successful boot and seems working ok)

30dbd28412e611e603bc507c1277a10d SwitchPup_RacyNOP532_Radar0.8_Basic.iso

:wink:

greengeek

#11 Post by greengeek »

Thankyou. Much appreciated.
I have also been trying to remaster THINSlacko2012 with radar and xvkbd, but not quite there yet. I keep getting "sfs not found" error during boot. I am wondering if it might be that I am using mksquashfs with only default parameters and maybe I'm getting incorrect block sizes or compression or something. Will come back to it and try again soon after a bit more research.

01micko

#12 Post by 01micko »

Why don't you put the extra packages in an Adrive? (which is just an ordinary sfs with the special "adrv_slacko_5.5.01.sfs" name and it will autoload on boot.)

I can't quite understand why a manual remaster isn't working though.. :?

edit: OH, you mean the older thin based on 5.3.3?

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote:edit: OH, you mean the older thin based on 5.3.3?
Yes, I love that 5.3.3t version. It runs great on all my gear, even recent netbooks.

greengeek

#14 Post by greengeek »

Added a "navbar" version into my second post above. Designed as a simple communicator, or for broader usage with browsing etc, it works nicely as either a live CD or installed.

In this version Navbar is configured for slow speed and simplicity. Other versions to follow later.

darkcity

#15 Post by darkcity »

Great project.

I have a friend who has limited upper body strength. He can't sit up to use a keyboard but can use a game controller. Could this pup be adapted to work with a game controller. Also, is there a program for zooming in to the part of the screen? the best I've seen is a hack using xrandr modes.

Currently he can uses the PS3 browser interface well. But his computer is sitting unused.

greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

Updated first post to add a new version of SwitchPup radar using SFRs radar1b script which has an "xvkbd" mode to automatically scan over the keyboard, and also has the gui for finetuning radar parameters.

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

darkcity wrote:Could this pup be adapted to work with a game controller. Also, is there a program for zooming in to the part of the screen? the best I've seen is a hack using xrandr modes.
Hmmm, good ideas. I think some sort of "Joystick_Pup" would be a great idea.

With regard to the zoom function, all I can think of at the moment is the slide control at the bottom right of recent Opera browsers - it does a fantastic job of smoothly zooming what you are viewing in the browser. This control is active in the version of Opera that is included in these Switch_Pups, so may be worth a look. I recommend the new version I have just added (first post). (Also worth installing the Opera font pet I have included in /root - just doubleclick then use "menu, restart WM")

When I get back on deck I will follow up with the idea of a joystick pup. I like the idea.

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

My apologies to the person who downloaded the radar version which had the radar screen at lower left - I had forgotten about that interfering with the main menu. I have reverted to the previous version with radar at bottom right. If the user wants a different position it is possible to use the radar config gui to move the radar screen to bottom centre, which allows better visibility of scroll bars and the Opera zoom slider.

standard7452

#19 Post by standard7452 »

Hello,

I have been away for awhile bc of family stuff, but I am in the process of creating videos about how to make the actual switch on the cheap

How can I help with switch pup at this point?

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

Added a new thread containing a tutorial for the oneswitch keyboard modification here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 282#711282
Attachments
13Fit_socket_and_resistor.JPG
(114.17 KiB) Downloaded 386 times