PHATSlacko - March 2013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#81 Post by James C »

PHATSlacko on another older box .....Windows 7/PCLOS/various Puppy installs. No problems again.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: PHATSlacko Puppy, version 5.5.02

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse record shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
2427 frames in 5.0 seconds = 485.368 FPS
2495 frames in 5.0 seconds = 498.894 FPS
2654 frames in 5.0 seconds = 530.725 FPS
2663 frames in 5.0 seconds = 532.478 FPS
2580 frames in 5.0 seconds = 515.341 FPS

Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 1033MB (228MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : PHATSlacko Puppy - 5.5.02
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 31 Mar 2013 03:16:07 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on NV98
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Looks like PHATSlacko works on my older hardware....just not the newer Nvidia boxes.Think I'll pass on testing on the really new hardware though.

peebee

Re: PHATSlacko - March 2013

#82 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote: but if you can reproduce after a save then it's not.
Thanks
Hi Mick

My apologies - I should have tested this before - after the creation of a savefile the devx loads with sfs-load-on-the-fly with no problem.

So the problem only occurs when running in ram - seems like 2GB isn't enough for PhatSlacko + devx for some reason? Suppose it would be nice if it failed a bit more gracefully.

When I said "kills" BTW - I meant that the laptop froze almost completely and had to be switched off to recover - the screen display was still there but frozen, the mouse was moving but inoperable and the tray "activity" display was still incrementing and gradually got redder and redder (sorry don't know what the technical terms should be for this display).

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Eyes-Only

My problems with PhatSlacko... :(

#83 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Mick!

I've been really enjoying your latest release of Slacko ( 5.5 is it? ) especially where my older Dell refused to run your earlier versions and I was left out and couldn't play around. :( But since then I've had a motherboard failure ( hence why I was absent from the forum for some 4 months last year ) and a friend gave me a newer Dell computer being thrown out from his high school where he'd there computer department tech - they're upgrading for 2013. This machine is a dual-core p4 2.7gigs 64k with 1.5g of RAM/2.6g of swap and a 160g hard drive ( well... the drive was my own as these things were connected to the main server of course ).

This baby runs the current Slacko just fine! 8)

But it's the PHATSlacko that I'm having problems with, which is too bad because I really enjoyed that version as well.

It works perfectly fine as a frugal, and I have the power to run it that way. But I like hard drive installs mainly. And that's where this PHATSlacko falls on its nose: After several attempts of installing to a clean 44.5g partition it does the same thing each time, and that is that only half the files seem to install - and yet it goes through all the correct install procedure. You have no clue that anything went wrong until you mount the partition and look at all the directories. In "/" some of the important ones which are missing are like "/bin", and I believe "/sbin", etc. Looking into "/root" there are only something like 6 or 8 directories in there. "/usr/share" has perhaps 10 directories... and I think you get my point?

My download checked out correctly with the md5sum and everything. And yes, when removing the files from the .iso with ISOMaster I even remembered to include the "adrive". However, in the install to the hard drive this behaviour makes me wonder whether or not the installer is seeing the adrive and its files?

Also, like PeeBee? I, too, got the same bootloader reaction as he, and continue doing so, each time I load PHATSlacko with the pfix=ram setting.

I wonder if others are getting behaviours like these and not reporting them?

Thanks for your time Mick and all. And sorry for the long posting. I wanted to be as thorough as possible where I'm not always on the forum as I once was in the past...

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

mavrothal

#84 Post by mavrothal »

Tried it on my Core Duo iMac and everything worked OOB!
Posting from it.
Correct video driver, Broadcom wireless, sound, second (mirror) monitor, etc (did I mentioned that this baby is impressive? :D).
I even mounted my HFS mac volume (after loading the hfs module), though manually and read-only.
"Manually" is actually preferable, but "read-only" is not (if any rescue is attempted).
Any idea how to get HFS+ mac Volumes mounted rw in Slacko?

Latter It just needed hfsprogs (and its libbsd dependency) from slackware.
Maybe include it in 5503. Add few window/Apple repair utilities and not only you have a Solid highly usable OS but also a "do it all" rescue CD :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Billtoo

PHATSlacko - March 2013

#85 Post by Billtoo »

I've been running upup-raring-3841 successfully on this imac for a
couple of days but I thought I'd better give PHATSlacko a try as well
:)
video-info-glx 1.5.1 Mon 1 Apr 2013 on PHATSlacko Puppy 5.5.02
Linux 3.8.5.1 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 2400 XT
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: M74 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV610
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 MHz
Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 05)

This mac is becoming Puppy Central.

EDIT:Installing guvcview from ppm broke it, back to upup for now.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(24.66 KiB) Downloaded 731 times

mavrothal

#86 Post by mavrothal »

Billtoo wrote:EDIT:Installing guvcview from ppm broke it, back to upup for now.
Did you install the entire 65MB Gtk3 stack that guvcview pulls in Slackware 14 or just the minimal dependencies?

BTW, guvcview/webacm support should probably be included in a "PHAT"puppy.
In v5503 then? (something for on the next school brake :D )
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#87 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:
Did you install the entire 65MB Gtk3 stack that guvcview pulls in Slackware 14 or just the minimal dependencies?

Yeah, well full gtk3 is there, in Adrive. I have introduced the idea of PPM supporting SFS to Barry, no response as yet, but I bet he's thinking about it.

Next will have guvcview in Adrive.

---

Been playing as little...

Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

8-bit

#88 Post by 8-bit »

Do you have an MD5sum for the Delta file in the first post that changes Phatslacko 5.5.00 to 5.5.02?
I ask for those that may end up with a corrupted download so it would be good to verify the integrity of the download.

Billtoo

#89 Post by Billtoo »

mavrothal wrote:

I started with a new savefile and installed guvcview in ppm, left out gtk+ and a couple of other dependencies, I must have guess right because it's working now.

There's a new jwm snapshot, I made a pet of it.
Attachments
jwm-720-i686.pet
(97.87 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
webcam.jpg
(36.7 KiB) Downloaded 631 times

tlchost

#90 Post by tlchost »

So, now that FireFOX 20 has been released, will the Adrive.sfs be updated?

ally

#91 Post by ally »

hey micko

running the new phat, only issue to report is firefox being 'laggy', switched to chromium from ppm and back to normal snappy self

seems to run cooler too

:)

8-bit

#92 Post by 8-bit »

After an update to PhatSlacko 5.5.02, I found that the Write icon on the desktop does not open anything.
Upon investigation of the /usr/share/applications desktop file, I found it still wants to load Abiword.

James C

#93 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:
James C wrote:Back in Windows 7 ..... submitted the above post,opened Hardinfo to add more hardware info and had an instant freeze with distorted display and no keyboard input.Hard poweroff.
Might have to await 3.9 James before you can have any fun with f2fs! BTW, I did read about PV's avoidance of 3.8x. What gets me is how the kernel devs get some things so wrong when in previous versions they were stable . :? .
Just for informational purposes...... Pemasu's Raring with k-3.8.4 is working fine on one of the troublesome Nvidia boxes.Don't know what's different but it's been working fo quite a while.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Upup Raring, version 3.8.4

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
Loaded modules: dbe dri exa extmod fb fbdevhw glx kbd mouse shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
#
Can even use Hardinfo....... :lol:

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2853MB (191MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 03 Apr 2013 02:31:35 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

01micko

#94 Post by 01micko »

Maybe...[?]

..it was a bad idea going with 3.8x and an "old" xorg. (re James' post). This thing should not crash on newish gear.. it's meant to be "productive" :lol: .

I guess the temptation of f2fs blurred my vision.

I'll have a think about it.. may roll back for PHAT's kernel in the interest of stability, and if possible patch for f2fs, if not well, no drama :) .

I have always been tempted by "-current" too.. xorg is very recent there and PV has updated as far as 3.8.4, I'm just waiting for FF-20 before I update my -current (slackware proper for those who don't realise) install.

Anyway, I'm a bit snowed under with real stuff atm so don't be too impatient! Goodies will come.. eventually.. :P

mavrothal

#95 Post by mavrothal »

Billtoo wrote: I started with a new savefile and installed guvcview in ppm, left out gtk+ and a couple of other dependencies, I must have guess right because it's working now.
How did you get the iSight firmware? iSight-firmware tools does not appear to be in the slackware repo. Compiled it from source but keeps giving me the wrong webcam version (8300 instead of the actual 8501) after extracting the OSX firmware.

dennis-slacko531

After install, where does everything vanish to?

#96 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

I really like this Slacko but am puzzled after installation. :? Running off the bootable dvd/cd works super fine (Libre, Gimp, VLC)... So I do a frugal install, correctly "paste-up" menu.lst (after grub4dos'ing), & reboot......

Now it looks more like ThinSlacko (not even a browser). To write this post I dnld Seamonkey 2.12.1 with PPM. :) Thank you!

There we are :D
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Wed 03 Apr 2013, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#97 Post by 01micko »

This post is to address Eyes Only, dennis-slacko531 and others using the stanfard installation tools provided.

They are not Adrive aware!

In the case of frugals, just copy the Adrive sfs to the same place as the main sfs, reboot, you will be good.

In the case of fulls, the Adrive has to be mounted and copied to the root filesystem manually, but don't use rox as sometimes permissions can get distorted. I will provide some commands.

THE FOLLOWING HAS NO WARRANTY, NOT TESTED IN THIS SITUATION, BACK UP CRITICAL DATA FIRST. ONLY FOR FULL INSTALLS, NOT FRUGAL OR USB OR ANYTHING ELSE.

Click the adrive sfs while in your booted full install of PHAT and accept the details in the popup to mount it. In the rox window that pops up open a terminal in that location. Find out the current directory with pwd command. Make sure that looks sane, that is to make sure you opened the term in the right place. Now copy with this command.

Code: Select all

cp -a --remove-destination . /
sync
That's command (cp) [:space:] option 1 (-a)[:space:] option 2 (--remove-destination) [:space:] DOT (.)[:space:] slash (/) [:enter:]
then "sync" [:enter:]

EDIT: This process may take quite a few minutes, there are a lot of files to copy.

Close the term and unmount the adrive sfs by clicking it again.

Reboot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be fixed for next.
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 03 Apr 2013, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#98 Post by Billtoo »

mavrothal wrote:
Billtoo wrote: I started with a new savefile and installed guvcview in ppm, left out gtk+ and a couple of other dependencies, I must have guess right because it's working now.
How did you get the iSight firmware? iSight-firmware tools does not appear to be in the slackware repo. Compiled it from source but keeps giving me the wrong webcam version (8300 instead of the actual 8501) after extracting the OSX firmware.
I just installed the guvcview from ppm, it works fine in pemasu's
raring 3.8.4.1 and 3.8.4.2, and now PHATSlacko.
I've run other pups on this imac in the past and I'm pretty sure
guvcview works fine on those as well.

The input section of hardinfo shows the isight:

Input Devices
Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard
Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard
Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:400a
Power Button
Sleep Button
Power Button
Video Bus
HDA Digital PCBeep
HDA Intel Line
HDA Intel Headphone
PC Speaker
Built-in iSight

Anyhow, it works :)

EDIT: lsusb shows this:
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05ac:8502 Apple, Inc. Built-in iSight

Eyes-Only

#99 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks Micko for that fix. Hmm... if all the same I think I'll wait for the next version when you come up with the fix included as that would be far easier for me.

Can't wait however! I've sort of messed up my 3HD install so the next version of PHATSlacko would look mighty nice sitting in that partition if I do say so myself! ;) Take your time though for as they say, "Good things come to those who wait." Or something similar like that. lol!

Keep up the fabulous work mate.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

mavrothal

#100 Post by mavrothal »

Billtoo wrote: I just installed the guvcview from ppm, it works fine in pemasu's
raring 3.8.4.1 and 3.8.4.2, and now PHATSlacko.
I've run other pups on this imac in the past and I'm pretty sure
guvcview works fine on those as well.
I guess the 8501 firmware did not make it to the kernel.
My hardware info does not have the iSight in input devices but in USB devices with the notion "Built-in iSight (no firmware loaded)" :(