Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 22:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.3
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 43 of 110 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, ..., 108, 109, 110 Next
ally

PostPosted: Thu 21 Mar 2013, 21:23    Post_subject:  

hey elroy

running smoothly on initial install to lenovo t61

correctly configured display, sound and ethernet, downloaded a few sample progs from ppm

looks really nice

Smile

**edit - clicking *.xls file did not open spreadsheet, able to open from libre calc ok though **

Edited_times_total
inoxidabile

PostPosted: Fri 22 Mar 2013, 06:07    Post_subject:  

Hi elroy,
I'm very happy Carolina is going on Smile

I apologize for my answer, but I obtained a good result with 0.0.5 and several setup, nVidia driver, and so on , so I would like to start again from scratch...

Could You kindly suggest me how to try the new (and future) release?

Thank You in advance! Smile
rg66

PostPosted: Fri 22 Mar 2013, 09:42    Post_subject:  

inoxidabile wrote:
Hi elroy, Could You kindly suggest me how to try the new (and future) release?

Thank You in advance! Smile

Go to the first post and click the 006-rc link, either download the complete ISO or get lina-005.iso___lina-006-rc.iso.delta and use xdelta from utilities with the delta and the 005 ISO to generate the new one.

GoneSouth

PostPosted: Fri 22 Mar 2013, 20:51    Post_subject: Clementine  

Clementine seg faulted
will try another download
elroy

PostPosted: Fri 22 Mar 2013, 22:02    Post_subject: Re: Clementine  

GoneSouth wrote:
Clementine seg faulted

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I don't think it's your ISO download that's bad; I got the segfault, too. I re-installed the Clementine pet from the repo and that fixed the issue - it ran as expected. Why it segfaults from the ISO isn't known at present, but that will be addressed for the next release. In the meantime the simple fix is to re-install Clementine from the repo.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sat 23 Mar 2013, 00:17    Post_subject: Re: Clementine  

elroy wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
Clementine seg faulted

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I don't think it's your ISO download that's bad; I got the segfault, too. I re-installed the Clementine pet from the repo and that fixed the issue - it ran as expected. Why it segfaults from the ISO isn't known at present, but that will be addressed for the next release. In the meantime the simple fix is to re-install Clementine from the repo.

The Clementine binary is only 208bytes, it should be 10meg and /usr/share/clementine/projectm-presets is missing files.

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:20    Post_subject:  

Just been trying 0.0.6-rc, and it's looking good. It's the first distro I've used so far which has Libre Office 4, for a start Smile
elroy

PostPosted: Tue 26 Mar 2013, 02:08    Post_subject:  

We're currently busy working on the upcoming release version of Carolina, and have come up with a way to enable you to partake in the bug-testing if you wish to do so.

We've created delta files that are equivalent to 'nightly-snapshots'; although this is a misnomer, because they would be more accurately be called 'periodic-snapshots'.

The 'snapshot' deltas and md5sums are located here. The deltas create ISOs that are differentiated by date. There are two md5sums - one for the delta file itself, and one for the ISO that it creates. In this way, you are welcome to participate in helping to create a very solid release version. If you don't know how to create an ISO from a delta file, Geoffrey has created a nice tutorial that you can find here. Your feedback is most welcome. From this you will be able to see the progression that we are moving towards regarding the release version, and have a direct input in the testing stage.

You will also find a text file in that directory titled 'change_log'. Download it and you'll be able to track, by date, the current changes that are being made in relation to the specific delta files (again, differentiated by the date of change). In this way you will be able to see which bugs and additions have been addressed, etc.

Please note that all of the 'snapshot' deltas will be build off of the latest 'official' ISO release, lina-006-rc.iso. And too, being that these deltas are experimental, they should be treated as volatile...no guarantee of usability, etc. While we will do our best to ensure that they are as sane as possible, being that they are experimental in nature, we can't guarantee their usability.
umair

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 10:55    Post_subject: Re: Carolina - 0.0.6-rc
Sub_title: release candidate

carolina wrote:
Carolina Linux

Version 0.0.6-rc is now available

Links for Carolina Linux

Hello Elroy:
Testing your carolina 0.0.6-rc. Looking very solid. Nice work you done as you did before Wink. keep it up. One thing I have to mention that every time when I open package manager, its takes 5 to 6 seconds to load, which is very unusual (Never face this in any version of saluki or previous version of carolina), Also tell me about the future release of Carolina.
Thnx in advance.
Regards
UMAIR
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 18:38    Post_subject: Re: Carolina - 0.0.6-rc

umair wrote:
One thing I have to mention that every time when I open package manager, its takes 5 to 6 seconds to load, which is very unusual

umair, there is a checkbox top left of the package manager, this turns off the auto updater for the Carolina repo, the reason it was added is that we often update the repo, so when the manager is first run it will give you the latest Carolina software updates. Smile
PPM.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   92.46 KB
 Viewed   526 Time(s)

PPM.jpg

umair

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 21:00    Post_subject: Re: Carolina - 0.0.6-rc

Geoffrey wrote:

umair, there is a checkbox top left of the package manager, this turns off the auto updater for the Carolina repo, the reason it was added is that we often update the repo, so when the manager is first run it will give you the latest Carolina software updates. Smile

Thanks for reply Geoffrey:
Thats nice option to add auto update. Never noticed that Smile.
Regards
UMAIR
Marv

PostPosted: Fri 29 Mar 2013, 12:01    Post_subject: release candidate  

Hi Elroy and Geoffrey.

Is there a changelog for Carolina-0.0.6-rc wrt 0.0.5? Mostly interested in the infrastructure. Rotated my laptop stock and now have a lifebook with PAE and a reasonable amount of power so Carolina will be one of the OS's on it. Have alphaOS touchpadding, lid suspending, and CPU governing on it at this point also. Lina-Lite remains the main OS on the other Pentium M non-PAE lifebooks.

Jim

elroy

PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 00:22    Post_subject: Re: Carolina - 0.0.6-rc

umair wrote:

Also tell me about the future release of Carolina.

Hi umair,

Geoffrey's explanation about the auto-updating of the ppm is right on target. As far as the release version is concerned, it won't be too much different from the release candidate version. The reported bugs will be fixed and there will be some cosmetic changes (new default wallpaper, right-click enhancements). After that, any new releases will be updates to packages, but that will be about it.

EDIT: I guess I left out an important part. We will also be releasing Carolina as both PAE and non-PAE versions. If someone downloads the PAE release version, they will be able to download a non-PAE delta in order to create the non-PAE release version.
elroy

PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 00:33    Post_subject: Re: release candidate  

Marv wrote:
Hi Elroy and Geoffrey.

Is there a changelog for Carolina-0.0.6-rc wrt 0.0.5? Mostly interested in the infrastructure. Rotated my laptop stock and now have a lifebook with PAE and a reasonable amount of power so Carolina will be one of the OS's on it. Have alphaOS touchpadding, lid suspending, and CPU governing on it at this point also. Lina-Lite remains the main OS on the other Pentium M non-PAE lifebooks.

Jim

Hey Marv,
In the end there was no infrastructure changes. We've decided it'd be best to port our vision of xfce to a new base in the future, and leave Carolina as is in that sense. We've updated some of the packages used in 005, and added to some of the scripts (uninstall, and for the release, there will be a couple of new right-click menu options).

I replaced UMplayer with SMplayer due to broken YouTube support in UMplayer (and the fact that UMplayer is no longer being developed). Also, we replaced Firefox/Thunderbird with Seamonkey as the default browser/email client due to the incompatibility with newer versions of Firefox/Thunderbird with the Wary glibc-2.10. LibreOffice was updated to the latest version, too. A few other minor changes, but nothing concerning the infrastructure. Nice to hear from you....it's been awhile. Smile
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 02:59    Post_subject:  

Only just noticed your return, el - thought we'd lost Carolina. Great news.

Quote:
replaced Firefox/Thunderbird with Seamonkey

Not so good. Setting aside my own prejudice against SM, you'll have noticed a lot of problems with it recently, along with adverse comments about FF and other Mozilla antics. Micko found one issue with Opera recently, but it's still the fastest, most reliable, and probably smallest. The Norwegian developers are exceptionally responsive to suggestions and assistance, so it's still the best bet, even though BK doesn't use it. All the other browsers have issues, too! Except Dillo?!
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 43 of 110 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, ..., 108, 109, 110 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum