Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 08:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Upup Raring 3.8.7 with non-PAE 3.8.7 kernel, created using
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 25 [371 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
anikin

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 02:56    Post subject:  

No problem here with sfs_load on eeepc1000.
Works OK.
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 03:44    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Aarf reported that sfs_load-1.9.6.2 in my build crashes his system. Sfs_load version is from this url link:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=688301#688301

Could you give sfs_load a spin and report. It has worked for me just fine all the time.

Crashes Puppy in a heap Sad . There is a partial chance you can shut down but FWIW the damage is done and may as well put him out of his misery and kill him dead. This is only on UNLOAD of sfs in any 3.8 kernel. Affects PHAT too, I tried jamesbond's load_sfs.sh but it did the same thing, tested 2 machines.

EDIT: FIX: the problem is with busybox mount, remember this is a reasonably new version of busybox, so what worked previously isn't now. It seems only to affect unmounting the SFS. Here's what I did:
@LINE 1552 /usr/sbin/sfs_load
WAS-- busybox mount -t aufs -o remount,del:$MNTPNT unionfs /
CHANGED TO:
mount -t aufs -o remount,del:$MNTPNT unionfs / #use full mount

artsown

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 08:22    Post subject:  

Here are some memory useage comparisons of various pups I currently
have installed.
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/memuse.txt

Art
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 09:33    Post subject:  

Thanks 01micko. I have updated sfs_load pet with your fix.

I start new build processing now....
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 09:55    Post subject:  

Quote:
I start new build processing now....

Faster, faster! (I jest).

Some correspondents have renewed calls for Slim, rather than PHAT, Puppies. Is this within your remit, pem? Or indeed, your interests.
Also mulling how to redeploy a stack of LS120 and ZIP drives & discs. We established many years ago that small Pups can be installed (FULL) to the former but boot times exceeded 30mins. Access times were never the strong feature of super floppies. Maybe scope for some Frugals as well as savefiles? Appreciate feedback/comment. This might not be the best thread, so if there's interest from eg pem, mick and friends could open a new one? Not sure whether a basic boot into a web d/l might float; don't think BK has ever countenanced such a venture? There's also the possibility of a web-based customised d/l (Nimblex reprise)?
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:32    Post subject:  

Sage. I have only one goal. To provide woof based builds which satisfies my daily needs. Precise Puppy and Raring Puppy are not good candidates for slim builds. Okay....there are stuff which you can live without like Python and libicu for example, strip flashplayer and dri modules. But the graphics libs with this new libllvm dependency ( 20 Mb uncompressed ) are big, these new Ubuntus are not best ones for slim building. Okay...For my comps the size 170 -200 Mb iso does not make any difference.

I have started with Snow Puppy and Polarpup and they were way bigger even 3 years ago. So....I think I have gone as basic that I will.

I believe that Wary and even Racy are better for slim building. It would need a lot work and testing before you could get for example this Upup Raring slim. I understand that 256 Mb limit for ram loading ( Puppy size about half of that ) has been important goal, but it would be tough to do that with these latest Ubuntu based Puppies.
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:11    Post subject:  

Fair comment, pem. BK did give us a small Wary at one time and, of course, I still use John's MeanPup - truly a master stroke.
As you'll read, I raised other diminutive distro options.
As for
Quote:
I have only one goal
that's all the England soccer team could manage! Not a good idea to mention 'snow' or 'polar' to a Brit at present. Indeed, if you choose to visit us now you'd feel at home.
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:18    Post subject:  

Upup Raring 3.8.4.1 has been uploaded. A lot fixes has been included. I recommend strongly to update into this update.

You can read through previous pages and posts to see what bugs has been found and I have tried to face most of them.

There are error messages still when you launch certain apps in console, due to gtk2 or gtk3 or goffice or other reasons which I am helpless to fix. You can of course post about them, but my experience to fix them is absolutely limited.

Feedback, bug reports and bug fix suggestions are appreciated.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupRaring/UpupRaring3841/
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:26    Post subject:  

Quote:
Not a good idea to mention 'snow' or 'polar' to a Brit at present. Indeed, if you choose to visit us now you'd feel at home.

Sage. I know what the weather is in UK. I even know whom you accuse of your weather:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=694583#694583
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 13:08    Post subject:  

Ha! Ha! It wasn't me, but I'll be sending an account to your Embassy for excessive gas costs...

Thanks for the d/l - working on it.
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 14:54    Post subject:  

Python2.7 has been splitted up into more packages as before. Previously python2.7 deb had the python modules needed for basic usage.

Now...they have been stripped out and placed to the package libpython2.7-stdlib.

I believe that splitting of python packages tries to resemble the complex modularity of python itself.

Python now launches. If you want to do something with it, install
libpython2.7-stdlib with PPM.

Then you can test for example bleachbit. I trash my savefile though after hunting the right package where they did hid the functionality of Python.
anikin

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 15:00    Post subject:  

Hi pemasu,

the same kernel sources still valid?
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 15:01    Post subject:  

Yes. if this kernel seems valid...as it has showed so far...I dont update the kernel soon.
anikin

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 15:23    Post subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
be sure to include all the power saving switches, also if its for an Acer One would you place it on the web?

Hi Ted Dog,
It's going a bit slower than planned. Won't happen overnight, I guess. Sure, I will upload it. Mine is eeepc1000 (n270/945gme/atheros/ralink).
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 16:23    Post subject:  

x.x.x.1 runs fine on everything here. Managed to d/l Hardinfo and run it from console; the version mick uses in his slacko control panel is more comprehensive but not sure whether it ports? Everything is fast and stable. Should fly with Opera. How close do you estimate you are to an RC? Don't usually trial FULL until an RC arrives; easier to add any pertinent fixes at that point.
Page 3 of 25 [371 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: