Full chart with kernel versions

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
mini-jaguar

Full chart with kernel versions

#1 Post by mini-jaguar »

I think there may be a chart somewhere with the official versions (other than the Distro Watch charts which are full of errors), but I would like see a chart which includes the kernel for the derivatives and projects. Of course it would be hard to do for all the derivatives, but it would be nice for at least some.

They are sometimes mentioned in threads, sometimes not, sometimes you have to go through the whole thread, which makes it pretty complicated...

The reason being is that certain versions of the 3.* kernels have some incompatibility with older computers. Of course natural selection is going to make these Puppy versions less used, but it would be nice to compare.

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

Some (not much besides archpup in the 3 series kernel) are charted at

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersion

but it's kind of tricky keeping up with the latest kernel-in-use, test versions go up and down etc
(not to mention other factors like compatibility with packages ;) )

hth

linuxcbon

#3 Post by linuxcbon »

Kernel version doesnt matter. What you need to check is if kernel was compiled for 486,586,686,... cpus and ditto for programs.

nubc

#4 Post by nubc »

Here is a bare-bones listing of Puppy versions. Perhaps you could suggest a system of superscripts to denote kernel version or architecture compiled for. Or just make a supplementary catalog of versions related to kernel version/target architecture.

Puppy Linux Mind Map
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62727

6502coder

#5 Post by 6502coder »

linuxcbon wrote:Kernel version doesnt matter. What you need to check is if kernel was compiled for 486,586,686,... cpus and ditto for programs.
Surely kernel version does matter, for example if you are compiling a driver and need to know which kernel source patch SFS to use. Or have I misunderstood this thread?

ally

#6 Post by ally »

where is the kernel version stored within a distro?

can a script be designed to retrieve the info?

if so will generate a list from my collection

:)

James C

#7 Post by James C »

In a terminal just run "uname -r" .... without the quotes. I'm in Lucid 528.005....

Code: Select all

# uname -r
# 
or "uname -a" ...

# uname -a
Linux puppypc 2.6.33.2 #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
# 

ally

#8 Post by ally »

hey james

I wondered if there is a way of obtaining the kernel version from looking into the iso?

there's too iso's to boot up and uname to get the answers.......

darkcity

#9 Post by darkcity »

`f00 wrote:Some (not much besides archpup in the 3 series kernel) are charted at

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersion

but it's kind of tricky keeping up with the latest kernel-in-use, test versions go up and down etc
(not to mention other factors like compatibility with packages ;) )

hth
It would be helpful if people could add in the kernel versions they know on to the wiki list, or comment them below.

Also, note to devs, it helps if kernel version is included in the release announcement.

raffy

iso

#10 Post by raffy »

I wondered if there is a way of obtaining the kernel version from looking into the iso?
You can open (mount) the ISO by clicking on it and then mount again the puppy sfs to read DISTRO_KERNEL_PET in /etc/DISTRO_SPECS.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Keef

#11 Post by Keef »

ally,

Don't know how to automate it, but if you just mount the iso then right click on vmlinuz in Rox, and look at 'properties', it contains kernel info.
[EDIT]
Yes there is a way. This script extracts the kernel config from a vmlinuz. You don't need all of it, so a bit of grep and cut, should get rid of the chaff.
Change line 25 to

cat $tmp1 | grep "Linux kernel version"
and you just get

Linux kernel version: 2.6.24.3
rather than the whole config file.
If someone more useful than me can do the bit to mount and unmount the isos, (and also extract the iso name) you might be in business.
Last edited by Keef on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

Another simple check is to mount the .iso and mount the .sfs or zdrv.sfs , go to /lib/modules and there should be a folder with the kernel version and extra-name (same as uname -r).

Some kernels seem to be tricky, just showing 2.6.39 : the kernel major, kernel minor and kernel sublevel, without showing the patchlevel or the extra name ( applies also for the uname command).

My Dell has the same problems, if i want to reboot, i use kernels below 2.6.37 .
Slacko-5.3 has kernel 2.6.37.6 and my own 2.6.37.4 show the same not working reboot behavior.

ally

#13 Post by ally »

thanks keef

will start compiling details......

CatDude

#14 Post by CatDude »

Hi

Attached is a list obtained from what i have backed-up on DVD's,
it is in the format suggested by the name :wink: :wink:
ie:
  • ISO-name, kernel-version, md5sum
Hope someone finds it useful.

CatDude
Attachments
220-iso-kernel-md5sum.gnumeric.gz
(12.13 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Karl Godt

#15 Post by Karl Godt »

Well done, Catdude !
I have saved it as .txt with delimiter '|' PIPE and sorted it with

busybox sort -d -k2,2 -t '|' 220-iso-kernel-md5sum.txt >220-iso-kernel-md5sum.ksort12.txt
Note : The '12' in ksort12 stands for the 12th attempt to sort it. Sort and Busybox sort are nasty companions, may differ in different LANG and LC_ALL settings.
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

ally

#16 Post by ally »

I have listed kernel info for my list where possible, unfortunately some are missing, if you have these then please let me know

Attachments
kernel_list.tar.gz
kernel info
(30.58 KiB) Downloaded 200 times