How to Install Brother Printers and Scanners

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Sage

#81 Post by Sage »

Pure genius! Managed to delete all my previous mistakes; HL2240 now prints perfectly from Slacko5.4 using your .pet and ghostscript.
Very many thanks. Couldn't have done it without you, rc.
Over and out.

redandwhitestripes

#82 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Epic failure.

I’m using a wireless network with a Brother MFCJ430W printer and Lucid Pup.
The printer is on the network with no probs, and I can get a ip address a node and a network channel from it.

First I tried installing the .deb versions of the printer driver and cups wrapper.

Tried to find new printer...nothing.

I then found this thread and did the debbi stuff and reinstalled the packages.

Code: Select all

# debbi mfcj430wlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.deb 
chown: invalid user: ‘lp’
chgrp: invalid group: ‘lp’
Post-install script completed!
Done!
# debbi mfcj430wcupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb 
cups: restarted scheduler.
lpinfo: Unknown
lpadmin -p MFCJ430W -E -v usb://dev/usb/lp0 -P /usr/share/cups/model/Brother/brother_mfcj430w_printer_en.ppd
Post-install script completed!
Done!

I did notice that etc/local/brother was never created.

Opened Cups (it’s version 1.4.3, BTW) and searched again...nothing.
Did my best to manually install but didn’t really know what I was doing

Tried to install a driver from within CUPS but they were all outdated, my printer didn’t show up.

By contrast, my iphone detects our printer and prints in an instant.

I love Puppy and I know how remarkably versatile it is, so I know it’s only my own ignorance that prevents me understanding how it can connect to a wireless router and access the ‘net with ease, but printing to a wireless printer is such a tough task :-(
Last edited by redandwhitestripes on Thu 01 Aug 2013, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#83 Post by rcrsn51 »

redandwhitestripes wrote: Opened Cups (it’s version 1.4.3, BTW) and searched again...nothing. Did my best to manually install but didn’t really know what I was doing(
I tested the debbi procedure with the DEBs for your MFCJ430W and it worked correctly.

1. Open the Printers tab. You should see a USB printer that debbi created. Delete it.

2. Open the Administration tab. Select Find New Printers. Depending on your network, this may take several tries. Lucid is slow to find networked printers.

3. If your printer is detected, follow the steps to install it. There are two possibilities.

a. The Connection URI is listed as socket://a.b.c.d. Your printer is installed. Print a test page.

b. The URI is listed as lpd://server/queue. Read in the How-To about adding a line to your /etc/hosts file.

4. If CUPS cannot detect your printer, go to Add Printers and select AppSocket/JetDirect. Use the URI in 3a. above where a.b.c.d is the IP address of your printer.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 26 Mar 2013, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

redandwhitestripes

#84 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Thank you so much for the help. Sadly, still no joy.

I found the USB printer and deleted as you said. Searched for printer, no luck. Manual install, with my printer's static ip address and choose the right printer from the list, still nothing :cry:

I know it's working as I can print from my iphone.

Never mind though, and thanks again for the help.

rcrsn51

#85 Post by rcrsn51 »

Do you have the Puppy firewall installed?

Try this command, using the IP address of your printer:

mpscan -p 9100 a.b.c.d
Or:

mpscan -p 515 a.b.c.d
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 26 Mar 2013, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

redandwhitestripes

#86 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Wow, I didn’t even realise I had a firewall switched on :D

I switched it off and CUPS now sees the printer (major progress?) and I have installed it.

On a first effort to print I got the “unable to locate

theinfamousj

#87 Post by theinfamousj »

Thank you rcrsn51. I just bought a Brother laser printer off of Craigslist today and was able to get it up and running with Puppy within a matter of minutes. The hardest thing to do was to figure out where the printer's power button was. :)

Much obliged by the work you've done here.

rcrsn51

#88 Post by rcrsn51 »

@redandwhitestripes:

1. What were the results of the mpscan commands?

2. What connection URI are you currently using?

3. Which Lupu version are you using? Some of them had problems with switching the firewall on/off. I would try this with a newer Puppy.

4. To clean out any garbage jobs from the print queue, run "cancel -a"

redandwhitestripes

#89 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Thanks rcr, here is my console text:

cat: /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser: No such file or directory
# mpscan -p 9100 192.168.001.040
# mpscan -p 515 192.168.001.040
# mpscan -p 515 192.168.001.040
# cat /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
#One or more words that identify this distribution:
DISTRO_NAME='Lucid Puppy'
#A three-digit numeric value, version number of this distribution:
DISTRO_VERSION=525
#A two-digit numeric value, minor-version number of this distribution:
DISTRO_MINOR_VERSION=00
#The distro whose binary packages were used to build this distribution:
DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT='ubuntu'
#Prefix for some filenames: exs: lupusave.2fs, lupu-525.sfs
DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX='lupu'
#The version of the distro whose binary packages were used to build this distro:
DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION='lucid'
#the kernel pet package used:
DISTRO_KERNEL_PET='linux_kernel-2.6.33.2-tickless_smp_patched-L3.pet'
#16-byte alpha-numeric ID-string appended to vmlinuz, lupu_525.sfs, zl525332.sfs and devx.sfs:
DISTRO_IDSTRING='l525110402100948'
#Puppy default filenames...
#Note, the 'SFS' files below are what the 'init' script in initrd.gz searches for,
#for the partition, path and actual files loaded, see PUPSFS and ZDRV in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='lupu_525.sfs'
DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zl525332.sfs'
# cancel -a
# 
I'll try and run a live CD with a newer puppy to see if that helps.

rcrsn51

#90 Post by rcrsn51 »

Run this command WITHOUT the leading zeros, ie.
# mpscan -p 9100 192.168.1.40
Does that detect Port 9100?

Lucid 525 was one of the versions with a wonky firewall setup. I would try a different Puppy.

You didn't show me the CUPS Connection URI for your printer. You will see it in the Printers section of CUPS.

I would install the printer again and try "socket://192.168.1.40". Do NOT use leading zeros in the IP address. If that doesn't work, this is definitely a networking issue.

I would also do a test where you connect the printer directly by USB. This will confirm that you have the correct driver for your model.
So I added a couple of varients, the latter of which is the address my browser automatically redirects to when I enter the former (though it still gives me a 404 reply).
I don't understand this comment. What is the actual IP address of the printer? Get it from the printer's physical control panel. If you need to add an entry to the hosts file, do NOT use leading zeros in the IP address.

redandwhitestripes

#91 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Bingo, that's done it.

Thank you rcrsn51, I've learnt a lot from you and this task.

Re:
"So I added a couple of varients, the latter of which is the address my browser automatically redirects to when I enter the former (though it still gives me a 404 reply)."

The ip address my printer gives from its physical CP is 192.168.001.040 , when I type this in to my browser, it automatically changes to 192.168.1.32, I've no idea why, but at least I don't have to worry now :D

Thanks again, you ever travel to Thailand, the first beer is on me.
Last edited by redandwhitestripes on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 00:47, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

Bingo, that's done it.
How? With which Puppy?

What Connection URI are you using?

If you let CUPS auto-detect the printer, do you get socket:// or lpd:// ?

Did you need to use the hosts file?

redandwhitestripes

#93 Post by redandwhitestripes »

With the same Puppy (Lucid) and I can print with the firewall switched on.

I let CUPS auto-detect and the connection it gives me is lpd://dhcppc7/BINARY_P1

I did use the hosts file and entered the addy you gave me, without the leading noughts. Before I did that it wouldn't work.

NB: I just deleted the printer and repeated auto-detect with CUPS. It only works with the firewall switched off.

rcrsn51

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

Deleted.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 26 Feb 2016, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

ferretgrandpa

Many Thanks

#95 Post by ferretgrandpa »

rcrsn51, Thanks for your time and energy.
Your instructions worked.
I am running Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 on a 16 gb flash drive, usually plugged into a Gateway NV52 laptop. Printer is a Brother HL 2240D ( don't have the printer and the OS drive plugged into the same el-cheapo usb hub on start up). I'd been doing my printing from the Dark Side, primarily because that's where my Kindle for PC and Nook for PC as well as my Calibre reside. I wanted to move some of the operations over to Puppy, just because I want to.
While I'll have to change some printer settings (binding offset is not present), I think this will work well.
Thanks Again

rcrsn51

#96 Post by rcrsn51 »

@ferretgrandpa: Your HL2240D has a duplexing option. There have been reports that duplexing doesn't work in some Puppies because of their version of Ghostscript. Your Lucid 528 should be fine, as should recent Slackos. But Precise could be a problem.

I would be interested in getting some test results on this. If your laptop has a working optical drive, it would be sufficient to boot off the Live CD, install the Brother driver and run a duplex job.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 26 Feb 2016, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

ferretgrandpa

Brother 2240D and Puppy 5.2.8

#97 Post by ferretgrandpa »

I'll give this a try.
Like I said, printer works and does duplex, just the 'binding option' is missing.
Just a nuisance problem as there are work arounds.

I'll let you know

I guess that Puppy just doesn't do offsets.
I tried the .pet (works nice), no binding offsets
I removed the printer, rebooted, installed with just your .pet, works great, much easier than before, but still no binding offsets.
Bounced over to the DarkSide, and yes, the binding offsets are in the printer settings. I thought that I'd verify that as in Puppy I'm using Libre Office 3.5 and over in Win I'm using Libre 4.03 and Apache OO 4.0. So the Win version of the brother printer driver/app has binding offsets and the Linux version does not.
Awful hard to fix what ain't there.
Thanks for the try

I also tried from the LiveCD, (Lupu Libre 5.2.8.005) with the same results.
I thought I'd found it, but it was in Libre Office 3.5 layout and it didn't work at all.

redandwhitestripes

#98 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Is there a way to use a printer/scanner machine's scanner functionality via wifi? In my case a Brother MFCJ430W. I've installed the brscan4 driver but puppy still detects nothing (other than the printer) and when I use the machine to scan it always says "check connection", although it is already online.

Running Precise on a frugal install

WoodLark

#99 Post by WoodLark »

I am attempting to instal a Brother MFC-7860DW in Slacko 5.5.

I tried to use the instructions in this thread. However, the Debbi-1.1.pet fails to install on my computer. Is there a different version I need to be using?

rcrsn51

#100 Post by rcrsn51 »

I checked in Slacko 5.6 and the debbi-1.1.pet installed fine.

Please describe step-by-step what you are doing.

How do you know that it did not install properly?