mtPaint - how to place gradient? (Solved)

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
darkcity

mtPaint - how to place gradient? (Solved)

#1 Post by darkcity »

mtpaint - how to place gradient?

Its probably just me being stupid, but I can't get the gradient function in mtpaint to 'paint to canvas'. I get to putting the two points on a linear gradient, but not matter what I press the gradient won't paint.

The manual says
3.5.6.1 Placed Gradients

You place a gradient by selecting the gradient placement tool from the toolbar and then you place the beginning and end points by clicking the mouse. Once this has been done you will see a temporary preview of the resulting gradient and you then need to select a painting tool and paint on the canvas. ...
Which painting tool/s do I need to press?
Attachments
mtp-gradient.jpg
(94 KiB) Downloaded 690 times
Last edited by darkcity on Mon 25 Mar 2013, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

wjaguar

Re: mtpaint - how to place gradient?

#2 Post by wjaguar »

darkcity wrote:I get to putting the two points on a linear gradient, but not matter what I press the gradient won't paint.
The manual says
3.5.6.1 Placed Gradients...
And has the step-by-step example in the very same section 3.5.6.1 just turned invisible somehow, or what? ;-)
Which painting tool/s do I need to press?
Absolutely any. Whichever one(s) you want. That is the whole point.
Gradient placement creates and positions a texture. Drawing in gradient mode applies that texture to canvas. I frankly do not know how the principle could be told any clearer than "select a painting tool and paint on the canvas".

Possibly you hadn't enabled gradient mode - despite its being spelled out in the introduction (section 3.5.6) and repeated once again in the step-by-step example in 3.5.6.1. In such case, just do toggle it the next time.
Or better yet, try the step-by-step example, to make sense of the procedure. It has been put there for just such an occasion.

-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev, maintainer of mtPaint =-

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

Thanks for the reply, I've worked out were I was going wrong.

I forgot about the 'settings toolbar' - is there a way to dock on the main window?

Maybe you could add which toolbar in the manual-
3.5.6 Gradient

When you select the gradient mode by clicking the horizontal gradient button (on the settings 'toolbar'), you are able to paint smooth graduated areas of pixels onto the canvas. ...
For anyone else who is struggling:

1: open 'settings toolbar' and click on 'gradient mode'

2. select 'place gradient' on the' tools toolbar' and place points (transparent preview will show), right click on 'place gradient' to configure options.

3. most options on the 'tools toolbar' now incorporate gradient effect

---

Thanks again for the help 8)
Attachments
mtp-gradient2.jpg
(82.03 KiB) Downloaded 673 times
Last edited by darkcity on Mon 25 Mar 2013, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#4 Post by don570 »

A right click on gradient icon allows the gradient to be easily
edited.

The color pattern can be easily edited in the gradient options dialog
by choosing 15-20 points and giving each a color that
gradually changes.

Some incredible stuff. It's mtPaint's best feature.

wjaguar

#5 Post by wjaguar »

darkcity wrote:I forgot about the 'settings toolbar' - is there a way to dock on the main window?
It's docked by default - when you open dock pane, settings toolbar sits at top of it, unless opened as a separate window.
http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handbook ... .html#SEC7

darkcity

#6 Post by darkcity »

Right, I've got it. Need to go to Show Dock (which will by default contain the settings toolbar), rather than go to Settings Toolbar - which shows it in a separate window.

One annoying thing. Not sure if its a Puppy or JWM problem - press F12 always brings up the PuppyMenu. So can not select Dock via F12 - would be good if it was possible to configure to another key.