Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
simargl

Re: Missing icons

#581 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

natgab

Re: Missing icons

#582 Post by natgab »

peebee wrote:Some files when displayed by pcmanfm have missing icons in LxPup 13.01 - see vmlinuz in the screenie - anybody know how to make a default icon display?
---Running LXDE right now with Oxygen icon color set. I get all of them.

Do either of you have trouble with Flash? I guess I'm going to have to re-install, still getting flash error. :(
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

BobSongs

Files I added to the USB thumbdrive

#583 Post by BobSongs »

I installed Lxpup Precise 12.12 to my thumbdrive. However, the USB boot from the thumbdrive didn't give me the CD's start up options.

To restore those options to your USB thumbdrive (RAM drive), copy these files from the Lxpup CD to your USB stick:
  • boot.msg
    help.msg
    help2.msg
    logo.16
Then, using leafpad, edit syslinux.cfg on your thumbdrive. You'll see it only has this line:

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
I changed mine to look like this:

default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
I grabbed that extra bit of code from the CD's syslinux.cfg file.

Why make the USB boot resemble the CD boot?
My personal file, lxpupsave-Dell.4fs could break or get corrupted. Should booting to my normal personal setup fail, I can reboot from the same thumbdrive, press F1 and type

puppy pfix=ram
and let it boot without my broken file. Or, I can create a second profile on the same 16 Gb thumbdrive to try different options.

I restored ''default'' to be puppy because none of the boot up options worked on the USB drive until then.

natgab

Re: Files I added to the USB thumbdrive

#584 Post by natgab »

BobSongs wrote:I installed Lxpup Precise 12.12 to my thumbdrive. However, the USB boot from the thumbdrive didn't give me the CD's start up options.

To restore those options to your USB thumbdrive (RAM drive), copy these files from the Lxpup CD to your USB stick:
  • boot.msg
    help.msg
    help2.msg
    logo.16
Then, using leafpad, edit syslinux.cfg on your thumbdrive. You'll see it only has this line:

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
I changed mine to look like this:

default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
I grabbed that extra bit of code from the CD's syslinux.cfg file.

Why make the USB boot resemble the CD boot?
My personal file, lxpupsave-Dell.4fs could break or get corrupted. Should booting to my normal personal setup fail, I can reboot from the same thumbdrive, press F1 and type

puppy pfix=ram
and let it boot without my broken file. Or, I can create a second profile on the same 16 Gb thumbdrive to try different options.

I restored ''default'' to be puppy because none of the boot up options worked on the USB drive until then.
--Can I do this to the one I am using? Or does this have to be done to a clean install? I think I'd like to try this and have separate saves too.
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

danneauxs

edit menus

#585 Post by danneauxs »

Just installed and playing with this. Very fast and I like it but some issues.

The issue of this post is menus.
Can I edit menus? If so how?
I'd like to delete an icon for a program that didn't install properly, even better I'd like to rearrange the whole menu layout. One of the things I've chafed at since I first used puppy a few years ago was I want my menu system to reflect how "I" think not how someone else wants it to be. I usually end up cluttering up my puppy desktop to avoid using the menus.

Thanks
Danneauxs

BobSongs

Re: Files I added to the USB thumbdrive

#586 Post by BobSongs »

natgab wrote:--Can I do this to the one I am using? Or does this have to be done to a clean install? I think I'd like to try this and have separate saves too.
Feel free to follow the same steps on your copy of Puppy Linux.

The idea is:

1. Copy the files mentioned in my post to your USB SanDisk stick. The MSG files have the bootup tips. I find it frustrating when they're not handy at start time.

2. Compare the contents of the CD's syslinux.cfg file and the copy on your SanDisk stick. The only real difference should be the pmedia should equal usbflash.

3. I recommend leaving a copy of any file you change on the stick -- with the exception of a name change. Change the name of syslinux.cfg to something like syslinux.cfg.orig in case things go in a different direction that expected.

PLEASE NOTE: since my original post I noticed that puppy pfix=[parameter] wasn't working quite right. I knew I'd get it eventually and it works just fine now. However, it meant copying a few more files from the CD to my own SanDisk, namely:

boot.cat
ldlinux.sys

Tiny files, to be sure, but I can remove them and test the boot to see how necessary they are. I will post my findings as a later edit in this post.

kernel vmlinuz
This caused Puppy to get confused and ignore my attempts at changing how it started up. But all is now well.

neo1967

Which devx file?

#587 Post by neo1967 »

Hi to all,

which devx file I must load (install) (after full installation) to start the MoManager?

THX

Jejy69

#588 Post by Jejy69 »

Yo mates !

It's been a month that I have not answered... The time passes really fast...

I'd love you to be involved, provide advice for a possible future release. If you like it, that's great, but do not hesitate please, we share different points of view. I feel I only listen to myself, as if you have no choice.
Express your desires, updates, software, themes, skins, of course the possibility of our comptences and opportunities.

For now, I started some things like:
-Slacko 5.5 ( I'll ask 01Micko ).
-Lxpanel 0.5.12
-Gslapt, slapt-get, pkgtool, replace petget. ( Apt-get like, Dependencies gestion, less install errors, packages upgrades, command line installer, add more repositories ).

See you later !
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

BobSongs

#589 Post by BobSongs »

Jejy69 wrote:Yo mates !

I'd love you to be involved, provide advice for a possible future release. If you like it, that's great, but do not hesitate please, we share different points of view. I feel I only listen to myself, as if you have no choice.
Express your desires, updates, software, themes, skins, of course the possibility of our comptences and opportunities.

-Lxpanel 0.5.12
-Gslapt, slapt-get, pkgtool, replace petget. ( Apt-get like, Dependencies gestion, less install errors, packages upgrades, command line installer, add more repositories ).

See you later !
If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion.

I would like to see a version of Lxpup that carries enough software to fill a CD. Standard applications like LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and so forth as part of it by default, as well as the ability to boot to more than one Desktop Environment. Allow me to explain why.

The standard release of Puppy Linux is small, fast and perfect for older computers as well as to test on newer machines. It works well as a light desktop for basic PC purposes as well as an emergency start up disk to rescue information from a Windows computer that no longer boots up. I'm sure standard Puppy Linux has many many more uses.

However, when I run Puppy (standard release), I find myself adding a number of pieces of software and remastering it. I speak of things like:
  • LibreOffice
  • The GIMP graphic editor
  • Inkscape svg editor
  • Audacity audio editor
  • Firefox web browser
  • Thunderbird email client
  • Google Chrome web browser
  • VLC media player
  • As well as the software found here: http://lxpup.weebly.com/softwares.html
The standard Puppy Linux helps to save many very old PCs from being thrown away. But there are a growing number of more powerful PCs that could easily run a bigger and fuller version of Puppy. I have no idea if this cross section of computers has a tailor-made release of Puppy for them as well.

I know there have been puplets in the past that have tried to put a lot of software together, but many of them are either hard to find or simply disappear.

Puppy has succeeded in many areas: rescue old PCs; be very user friendly. So my desire would be to see a beefy Puppy designed to rescue more recent PCs from the trash pile.

Volhout

the way to get there

#590 Post by Volhout »

PHATSlacko has most of your needs.

Just needs Jey's LXpup changes for LXDE and other desktops.

01micko

Re: the way to get there

#591 Post by 01micko »

Volhout wrote:PHATSlacko has most of your needs.

yes... and it uses an adrive. It would be a good one to base next lxpup -slacko on.. or you can wait .. :wink:

I intend to build a different puplet, minimal, but with adrive possibility. It will be an ideal puplet building tool. It will have 3.8.4 kernel, lots of drivers, but wont happen until Easter, which is soon. It is still mainly based on slacko-5.5.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BobSongs

Re: the way to get there

#592 Post by BobSongs »

01micko wrote:
Volhout wrote:PHATSlacko has most of your needs.

yes... and it uses an adrive. It would be a good one to base next lxpup -slacko on.. or you can wait .. :wink:

I intend to build a different puplet, minimal, but with adrive possibility. It will be an ideal puplet building tool. It will have 3.8.4 kernel, lots of drivers, but wont happen until Easter, which is soon. It is still mainly based on slacko-5.5.
Thanks for the reference to PHATSlacko.

I wanted to say something very quickly here: I do appreciate the whole Puppy Linux project in all its various shapes and sizes. Puppy has gotten me out of more than one difficult situation. So a resounding ''thank you'' for the all who have given so much to make it a leading Linux distribution.

The part that caught my eye about Lxpup in particular was its default desktop along with the 4 other choices. And PCManFM gives a new Puppy user the familiarity of the Windows Explorer (no offense to ROX).

I will download PHAT for testing. Thanks again for the reference.

Jejy69

#593 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi BobSongs

First thanks you for your tip about the boot, it's really useful.
About PHATSlacko, indeed, it contains all you want. :)
Wow, very nice !

natgab

#594 Post by natgab »

Jejy69 wrote:Yo mates !

-Lxpanel 0.5.12

See you later !
Any updates are welcome Jerome. I like the fact that you make a thin Lxpup and a full version. And that they are non-PAE. Too many Puppies are now made as PAE only, which kind of defeats the purpose of a Puppy being able to resurrect old computers. :D

Full version like BobSongs memtioned work great on a newer computer. But I am glad you make the thin version with Abiword, Gnumeric and other smaller applications. Works great on my Pentium M laptop.

loyal

ideas suggestions for jerome's awesome work

#595 Post by loyal »

I saw you were lonely watingto have feedback.

I would love to suggest one debian program pyrenamer. ITs an awesome program for us who have alot of files.

I would love to see bluefish updated as 2.03 is no were bear what 2.24 does like search directories and replace.

I saw song-someone asking about a full version of Puppy. At school that would be awesome. We use old machines. My netbook I have tried to add on programs to lxpup and had trouble remastering - maybe my lack of knowledge.

An update libreoffice wold be welcome too. I noticed my 3.62 docs need updating when in 4.01.

Anyways thanks to you guys who do a great job
Of course jeromes work

01mich or pemasu both have good programs also. but micks fhat slacko I have not been able ot get to run on my netbook. Carolina is coming along too. Thanks to all of you

peebee

LxPup-SFS-5.5

#596 Post by peebee »

Building on Jejy69's great work......

Add all(?) of the LXDE components to Slacko 5.5 with an add-on SFS:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 833#694833

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#597 Post by Jejy69 »

One pic of the next version :

( Sorry large pic ).
Any updates are welcome Jerome. I like the fact that you make a thin Lxpup and a full version. And that they are non-PAE. Too many Puppies are now made as PAE only, which kind of defeats the purpose of a Puppy being able to resurrect old computers.

Full version like BobSongs memtioned work great on a newer computer. But I am glad you make the thin version with Abiword, Gnumeric and other smaller applications. Works great on my Pentium M laptop.
Thanks Natgab.
I think no-PAE kernel is important for many users. :)
For the next Lxpup, I create my own repository based with Gslapt, and you'll be able to find Abiword 2.9.4, and Gnumeric 1.12 with all plugins.

Hello Loyal,
I saw you were lonely watingto have feedback.
Indeed :lol:
I would love to suggest one debian program pyrenamer. ITs an awesome program for us who have alot of files.

I would love to see bluefish updated as 2.03 is no were bear what 2.24 does like search directories and replace.

I saw song-someone asking about a full version of Puppy. At school that would be awesome. We use old machines. My netbook I have tried to add on programs to lxpup and had trouble remastering - maybe my lack of knowledge.

An update libreoffice wold be welcome too. I noticed my 3.62 docs need updating when in 4.01.

Anyways thanks to you guys who do a great job
Of course jeromes work

01mich or pemasu both have good programs also. but micks fhat slacko I have not been able ot get to run on my netbook. Carolina is coming along too. Thanks to all of you
Thanks you too.
For packages, don't worry, thanks to Gslapt, I can create a repository with dependencies support, and many packages are available ! LibreOffice 4.0.x is already ready with all Locales if you want ! :D

Once released, I will try to write a Tuto to create your own repository, it's magic ( Really I love it ) :lol: .

Hello peebee,

Thanks you too ! I am surprised that you kept the name lxpup instead of lxde :lol:
Nice job !

BobSongs

#598 Post by BobSongs »

VLC Bug Report

Installed
  • qt-4.8.1.pet
  • vlc-2.0.3-i686.pet
VLC will not run. When run in Lxterm:

sh-3.00# vlc
VLC media player 2.0.3 Twoflower (revision 2.0.2-93-g77aa89e)
[0x80db380] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x8053150] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
[0x8053150] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x80d9480] main interface error: corrupt module: /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/gui/libqt4_plugin.so
[0xb6a1c8b0] main generic error: corrupt module: /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/gui/libqt4_plugin.so
[0x80d9480] skins2 interface error: no suitable dialogs provider found (hint: compile the qt4 plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)
[0x80d9480] skins2 interface error: cannot instantiate qt4 dialogs provider
[0x80d9480] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 2.0.3 Twoflower
Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
> ^Csh-3.00# ^C
sh-3.00# 
Version: Lxpup 12.12

Note:

1. This is tested on the CD boot of LxPup 12.12 using the puppy pfix=ram start.
2. This has been tested many times.
3. QT is always installed first.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:---------------------------

Just tried the same thing on version 13 of LxPup. Result:

sh-4.1# vlc
VLC media player 2.0.3 Twoflower (revision 2.0.2-93-g77aa89e)
[0x80cd038] main demux error: corrupt module: /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/liblibbluray_plugin.so
[0x80d6788] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x80503f0] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
[0x80503f0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x80d8688] main interface error: corrupt module: /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/gui/libqt4_plugin.so
[0xb6c1c8a8] main generic error: corrupt module: /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/gui/libqt4_plugin.so
[0x80d8688] skins2 interface error: no suitable dialogs provider found (hint: compile the qt4 plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)
[0x80d8688] skins2 interface error: cannot instantiate qt4 dialogs provider
[0x80d8688] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 2.0.3 Twoflower
Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
> 
EDIT 2:----------------------------
Please note: the two files come from the LxPup website. I'm currently installing software, including VLC, from the Puppy software control panel. I'll post my success with VLC there.

EDIT 3:----------------------------
VLC installed successfully from the Puppy Package Manager. Yay.

BobSongs

#599 Post by BobSongs »

After a bit of work, I've produced FatPupLx based on LxPup 13.01

It's big and beautiful, weighing in at 673.3 Mb.

Additional Software:
  • LibreOffice
  • VLC Media Player
  • Audacity multitrack sound editor
  • GIMP graphic editor
  • Inkscape Vector Editor
  • Leafpad Text Editor
  • Pidgin Internet Messenger
  • Iron web browser
  • Thunderbird E-mail client
  • kompoZer web authoring
I opted not to add Blender3D to the party because it runs directly from the unzipped file, no extras or installation needed.

The process was a step-by-step thing.
* A personal file created
* New software added until the personal file complained it lacked room
* An ISO was made
* The personal file was deleted
* Repeat process.

There is a location I know of that caters to drop-in people. The men and women who use this service ask to use the computers, offered by the shelter.

However, some of the clientele point their browsers to sites that can easily destroy a Windows XP computer that's poorly maintained. Boot time on XP can go as high as 5 minutes.

I have since reformatted these PCs, created a custom Puppy distribution to stop the clients from adding endless ''free'' software. However, that was over a year ago. I believe their current Puppy could use an update. FatLxPup is my new alternative.

Merci beaucoup for base project. My hope is to bring a more modern desktop to the men and women who probably use Windows 7 computers every chance they get.

danneauxs

upgrading

#600 Post by danneauxs »

I have 12.12 installed frugal. How can I upgrade?

Thanks