rootnoverify (fd0)
#  errorcheck on
  boot

# additionals
title DSL (sdb1:PBS)
  map (hd0,0)/dsl-4.11rc1.iso (hd32)
  map --hook
  chainloader (hd32)
#  "lo que está a la derecha estaba pegado al final de la línea anterior" >> ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=789
#  "esto no estaba comentado" >> nomce noapic BOOT_IMAGE=dsl
#  "		"				" >> initrd /dsl_root/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz
#  find --set-root --ignre-floppies --ignore-cd /sdb1/boot/isolinux/linux24
#  uuid BF7B-1BED
#  chainloader +1
#  chainloader /linux24
#  "esto no estaba comentado" >>  errorcheck on
  boot

title CDROM (any OS - cd0)
  cdrom --init
  cdrom --hook
  chainloader (cd0)
  boot
First of all, I don't have a Windows OS in this machine nor in the CFCard. All I'm doing at this Comp (#1) is within PL528 (frugal), don't have a FD drive &, even though I've an installed pet for PXEing the HP laptop that never completed??? So, all I want is to be able to boot something from the CFCard that can be used for executing konboot (also contained there) at another machine.

My logic, which by now needs a desperate defragmenting process, tells me that what I'm putting at the menu.lst is incomplete because I don't find a way the OS loader can find what I need to execute but I cannot find instructions to that end, neither.

I've tried diferent forms but all I receive back are error messages like:
1) konboot @(sdb1:PBS) - error 15: File not found;
2) DSL (sdb1:PBS) - error 27: unrecognized command.

Notes: The 'sdb1' thing seen above is the name my puppy gives to this drive when I connect it to the Comp #1 (VAIO). I can't remember from where I extracted the UUID. In any case, things are more or less the same with all the methods I've used so far. Much of the code that's commented above (notice the # symbol within the menu.lst extract) was already tried; it was pasted from some webpages that are suppossed to be showing a TUTORIAL!

Thanks to anybody that has something to point out about this issue.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

L18L

Re: How to configure grub4dos?

#2 Post by L18L »

benny7440 wrote:... it was pasted from some webpages that are suppossed to be showing a TUTORIAL!...
Why not use puppy's page:

Code: Select all

defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/help/C/grub4dosconfig.html
:?:

benny7440

#3 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks, L18L, for replying!

Have been reading those pages you pointed out & they're much better, hope to be able to solve my issue soon; I'll post below whatever happens in the next few days.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

benny7440

#4 Post by benny7440 »

OK, this's to establish that I catched a syntax error in my 'menu.lst' file at the 3rd line after the one starting with "title konboot ...". The error was that 'map --hook' was written as 'mao --hook'. Now the story is a bit different.

It's not saying Error 15: etc., but now it's Error 23: Error while parsing number.

The fact that those errors appear as per my 2 interesting selections (DSL & konboot) for me it says that the boot loader is in fact finding the targets; this has been one of my doubts because I'm creating the menu.lst file at another machine & using PL528 to identify the device in a VAIO but the Ist target machine here is an HP & a clone desktop somewhere else. This still disturbs me a bit: can one system (H/W) identify a device as, say, sdb1 & another as sdc1 or hd0 or whatever, making the commands in the menu.lst file unusable?

Thanks to anybody that has something to say.
[/b]

Ibidem

#5 Post by Ibidem »

benny7440 wrote:OK, this's to establish that I catched a syntax error in my 'menu.lst' file at the 3rd line after the one starting with "title konboot ...". The error was that 'map --hook' was written as 'mao --hook'. Now the story is a bit different.

It's not saying Error 15: etc., but now it's Error 23: Error while parsing number.

The fact that those errors appear as per my 2 interesting selections (DSL & konboot) for me it says that the boot loader is in fact finding the targets; this has been one of my doubts because I'm creating the menu.lst file at another machine & using PL528 to identify the device in a VAIO but the Ist target machine here is an HP & a clone desktop somewhere else. This still disturbs me a bit: can one system (H/W) identify a device as, say, sdb1 & another as sdc1 or hd0 or whatever, making the commands in the menu.lst file unusable?

Thanks to anybody that has something to say.
The kernel says sda1 (increment the number for a new partition, and the "a" for a new physical drive)
and grub uses (hd0,0), IIRC.
Which drive is which is completely unpredictable if yu have more than one.
With grub4dos you should start by getting a grub commandline (press "c" instead of selecting from the menu), then you can use "find /path/to/file" or even find --set-root /path/to/file (which works in the menu, as well)
For an example of how to use that,

map (hd1,0)/aa.img (fd0)
becomes

find --set-root /aa.img
map /aa.img (fd0)