mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ldolse

#281 Post by ldolse »

Hi Supersurfer, the mute issue is a known issue for the WaveIO, refer to the second post to fix it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 897#662897

Supersurfer

#282 Post by Supersurfer »

Hi Idolse,

Thanks for the link, I missed that piece. It's working again.

I wll do some comparison between the raspberry pi and alix this weekend, keep jou posted!

Regards,

Supersurfer

#283 Post by Supersurfer »

Hi Idolse,

I would like to thank you for your work on this distribution! I am very happy with it, and as a linux noob I am able to get it working due to your interface and your help on this forum.

Once set up it runs very stable.
I have been trying the advanced adjustments but it does not always go through all the steps, using ssh.
I delete the save file and run the set up wizard again, then it does not configur the waveio.

Also; how can I select mpd 0.17? I do not see it in the set up interface.

As for comparison to the raspberry pi:
The pi runs less stable due usb buss speed problems (probably also because of different software), sounds less good (is this software or hardware related?).

But the pi is very compact and cheap! I am thinking of building a music player with the pi, a simple usb dac (pcm2707) and an sd card player. This could fit in a nice small hammond box so you can take your player with you on holiday together with a nice headphone amp and a pair of good headphones.

So it would be nice to have mpdpup also for arm boards but for now I am very happy with mpdpup on alix!

Kind regards, and keep up the good work!

ldolse

#284 Post by ldolse »

Glad it's working for you more or less. Regarding the advanced adjustments, I would need some more detail - I'm not aware of anything in that area failing, though there is a known issue where nrpacks is not applied and needs to be manually set.

MPD 0.17 can be set as default in one of the other menus of the wizard after the first time you run it - the system menu if I recall correctly.

ARM is a fairly low priority for me right now - other people in the Puppy Linux community are working on Raspberry Pi support, but I would need to port mpdPup to their system. The USB bus issues don't leave me much motivated, right now I'm having a hard enough time finding time for the changes for the next x86 release :-)

Supersurfer

#285 Post by Supersurfer »

Hi Idolse,
MPD 0.17 can be set as default in one of the other menus of the wizard after the first time you run it - the system menu if I recall correctly.
What do you mean with 'one of the other menus'? After first start up I go automaically through all the menu's in SSH. I know with a headed PC (screen, mouse, keyboard) you see more menu's but can these menu's also be made visible with the SSH connection? For Alix can not be run with a screen.

How do I manually set nrpacks?

You are right about your ARM priority, maybe if things develop in the future it might become more interesting..........

Kind regards,

[/quote]

ldolse

#286 Post by ldolse »

After you run the wizard for the first time and reboot you can re-run the wizard at any time by typing 'mpdwizard'. I'm pretty sure the SSH welcome banner explains this. During the first boot it runs the setup wizard which you already navigated through. Subsequent runs will bring up a set of menus you can navigate through.

Supersurfer

#287 Post by Supersurfer »

Hi Idolse,

Thanks for your swift reply!

Found it! I'm a bit puzzled sometimes by all the information on this forum that I do sometimes not seem to find what I am looking for :oops: I feel a bit ashamed for asking you every time :oops:

I have been trying out Sox upsampler but this does not seem to work stable with Flac format. Using WAV works fine but FLAC gives hickups at some files and sometimes the Alix even crashes.

Can this be because of the low CPU speed and demanding tasks for decoding FLAC and upsampling at the same time?

Kind regards,

ldolse

#288 Post by ldolse »

No worries, I know there is a lot of info to absorb. Regarding Sox, yes, I doubt the Alix has enough CPU to do anything sophisticated with Sox, epecially if something else is taking up resources.

cmiu

custom kernel module

#289 Post by cmiu »

Hi Idolse,
thank you for putting time and effort for this project.

I'm using mpdPup for about a month and i am very pleased with it.

My new DAC just arrived and I had to make some changes because it does not work with standard alsa usb async drivers ....

Anyway I've downloaded and activated devx_mpdpup_0.9.3.sfs and kernel_src-2.6.39.4-patched.sfs (from http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compilekernel.htm) and tried to compile the module manually

Unfortunately:

# modprobe -v snd-usb-hiface
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.39/kernel/drivers/misc/snd-usb-hiface.ko
FATAL: Error inserting snd_usb_hiface (/lib/modules/2.6.39/kernel/drivers/misc/snd-usb-hiface.ko): Invalid module format

dmesg
snd_usb_hiface: version magic '2.6.39.4 SMP mod_unload modversions 686 ' should be '2.6.39 SMP preempt mod_unload 486 '

It seems that is compiled for the wrong kernel version and arch. Corect?

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you

ldolse

#290 Post by ldolse »

Hi cmiu, glad it's working overall for you. Regarding the kernel sources, thanks for pointing out the missing link. I uploaded them some time back, but forgot to publish the link. I've updated the first post, but you can get them here:
http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/Idolse/0.9.2/kernel_sources-2.6.39-4.sfs

cmiu

#291 Post by cmiu »

I've managed to compile the module and install it. :)

The strange thing is that on a new install mpdPup DAC was detected and I was able to use the old M2T driver snd-usb-asyncaudio.ko

In order to play dsd over pcm /etc/mpd.conf need to be modified as follows:
in audio_output section dsd_usb "yes" need to be added.

If it is ok I can post a link with the compiled module.

Next thing I wanna do is to compile a git version of mpd, as it has incorporated better support for dsf files tagging.

ldolse

#292 Post by ldolse »

Hi cmiu,

Yes, feel free to go ahead and post a link to it for other users.

Updating the driver for the next release was already on my to-do list, I'll also add that line to mpd.conf.

I won't be bundling git versions of MPD with official releases, feel free to post a link to your git build as well.

As an FYI, these are the compile flags I use with mpd

Code: Select all

--prefix=/usr \
                     --build=i486-t2-linux \
                     --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var \
                     --disable-static --enable-shared --disable-debug \
                     --enable-pipe-output \
                     --disable-ipv6 \
                     --with-zeroconf=no \
                     --enable-ffmpeg \
                     --enable-lastfm \
                     --disable-ao \
                     --disable-oss

hifidelity

Kicking squeezelite into action?

#293 Post by hifidelity »

Hi Idolse - I've been trying to find and run Squeezelite within the boundaries of mpdPup but failing to do so.

Any chance you can give a Linux simpleton like me step by step instructions on how to kick squeezelite in to life?

I copied squeezelite as a program onto the bootable usb stick from Windows - but once the mpdPup program boots from the stick I can't find it anywhere to run?

I don't need to do anything fancy like get access to a windows share for my music - I just want to execute squeezelite from within mpdPup once it has booted from the stick.

Squeezelite with then actively search for the LMS server where all my music is stored.

I just love the idea of running Squeezelite from the simplest os possible - optimised for sound, without jitter inducing power management and the like.

ldolse

#294 Post by ldolse »

Hi hifidelity, here are the steps you need:

Code: Select all

cp /mnt/home/squeezelite /usr/bin/
chmod +x /usr/bin/squeezelite
cp /etc/init.d/40.mpdscribble /etc/init.d/rc.squeezelite
chmod +x /etc/init.d/rc.squeezelite
nano /etc/init.d/rc.squeezelite
Replace all instances of 'mpdscribble' in the file with 'squeezelite'. Ctrl-X to exit and save it at the prompt.

Then type 'save2flash', and 'reboot' to commit all the changes and Squeezelite should start automatictally from then on. To disable automatic startup just type 'chmod -x /etc/init.d/rc.squeezelite'
Last edited by ldolse on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

hifidelity

#295 Post by hifidelity »

Thanks Idolse

Am I to assume that squeezelite is already in the /mnt/home/ directory as part of your download package - or do I need to copy squeezelite in there from Windows?

And when you say squeezelite should start automatically (which is nice) - should I not be running squeezelite with the necessary parameters such as -n for naming the device, and -o for specifying the output device?

Sorry for the silly questions...

ldolse

#296 Post by ldolse »

Squeezelite would be in /mnt/home because you said you already moved it to your thumbdrive from windows - the contents of the thumb drive are under /mnt/home

You would need to edit the init script to include arguments - this is relatively straightforward, I believe you can put them in quotes "" in after DAEMONOPTIONS=, but sometimes these init scripts need a bit of debugging and tweaking. I'll have to leave that to you to work out.

I'm surprised squeezelite doesn't support a config file...

hifidelity

#297 Post by hifidelity »

Idolse - easier still for me - can you not just instruct me how to get to the command line in mpdPuP, then I can simply run the squeezlite command manually for now until I work out scripts?

ldolse

#298 Post by ldolse »

I'm not sure how to answer that question - aside from the very first boot the only way mpdPup presents itself is via command line. If you are doing a first time install then just complete it and reboot - you will get the command line.

thisisvv

Spotify tutorial

#299 Post by thisisvv »

Can anyone tell how to make spotify run on this MPD....

V

ldolse

#300 Post by ldolse »