Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 21:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppeee 4.4 revisited
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 8 [108 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
ally

PostPosted: Mon 11 Mar 2013, 08:31    Post subject:  

sorry mike - my bad.....

Quote:
Where does Isobooter put the unpacked iso files after unpacking the iso into a temporary partition? I didn't see unpacked iso files on my pendrive after I ran isobooter, just menu.list. (This is all rather confusing ,grin>.)

isobooter creates partition '4' for the unpacking, on my systm it showed as sdb1 (main boot area) and sdb4

Quote:
ou mean a different Linux iso, right?

a puppy, I ALWAYS use puppy slacko-5.3.3-4g-SCSI.iso as a fall back as it has worked on EVERY machin I've ever tried it on, including an older eeepc than yours, available here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.3.3/

Quote:
But one can make them hybrid by running the isohybrid app on them. I still don't know if Isobooter does the same thing. Some versions of Syslinux do, maybe all of them. And it is my undertsanding that the iso used for a pendrive installation must be hybrid. So, either Isobooter needs to hybridize the iso, or the iso needs to be hybridized before running isobooter on it. Anything else just does not make sense to me.

don't know never used it but isobooter works so just use it instead

nip round to a neighbours, steal some hot water and while you're there borrow a pc, burn cd, boot and use puppy installer to create usb - simples!!

Smile
Mike7

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2013, 23:05    Post subject:  

Hi, Ally.

Still no hot water. But at least it hasn't been raining recently <grin>.

Quote:
isobooter creates partition '4' for the unpacking, on my systm it showed as sdb1 (main boot area) and sdb4

Are you creating three 1Gb FAT32 partitions on a 4Gb pendrive? Is that why the Isobooter partition is number 4?

Quote:
I ALWAYS use puppy slacko-5.3.3-4g-SCSI.iso as a fall back

I'm going to try slacko with Isobooter as soon as I can get another stick, as I have run out of them. (I still don't know how to put more than one iso on a stick. I'm wasting a lot of good USB memory.) Tell me, what do the SCSI and 4g mean?

Here's an off-topic question that maybe you can answer and save me a lot of grief: How do I keep Puppeee from saving RAM to the eeesave.sfs file all the time. It's driving me nuts <grin>.

BTW, I got that Slitaz iso to boot through a series of manouevers including changing the use of my BIOS. I've written an explanation of a BIOS bug I have that might help others with a similar problem, and will post it apart.

Cheers!

Mike
ally

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2013, 23:34    Post subject:  

hey mike

Quote:
Are you creating three 1Gb FAT32 partitions on a 4Gb pendrive? Is that why the Isobooter partition is number 4?

no, mine was an old 256mb, if you read the isobooter instructions that were provided here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=517250#517250 it explains

it creates it's own 4th partition to do the work

Quote:
I still don't know how to put more than one iso on a stick.

read the instructions!!

Quote:
Here's an off-topic question that maybe you can answer and save me a lot of grief: How do I keep Puppeee from saving RAM to the eeesave.sfs file all the time. It's driving me nuts <grin>.

puppeee is configured to save periodlically so as not to load/wear the disc, how to turn it off? - dunno, doesn't bother me

Smile
Mike7

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2013, 02:17    Post subject:  

Quote:
if you read the isobooter instructions that were provided

I've read it, Ally. A number of times. And followed the procedure, as you should remember.

The text on that page says: " If you have a large drive, you may want to make two or three partitions to organize your ISOs. But leave Partition #4 empty! The system uses it for temporary storage". But the image there shows two iso's in the same partition! ???

Also, suppose you haven't made three partitions. Does Isobooter still create a partition #4?

Not very clear, is it Ally?

Quote:
read the instructions!!

Are you aware of how insulting your tone is here?

Quote:
puppeee is configured to save periodlically so as not to load/wear the disc

Saving all the time doesn't wear the "disc"? Tell me another.

Quote:
how to turn it off? - dunno, doesn't bother me

Thanks a lot for all your help. (Not.)

What do you say we call a truce, Ally? I'm not really up for being insulted and having my time wasted. If you feel the need for a scapegoat, go try somewhere else please.

Bye.
ally

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2013, 10:38    Post subject:  

hey mike

sorry you were upset, it really wasn't my intention.

I too had never used isobooter until I was asked to try to confirm it was working correctly

to do so I had to read the thread which provided all the information needed and answered the questions you were asking

I wasn't trying to be flippant but you were asking questions that had been answered

for example:

Quote:
The text on that page says: " If you have a large drive, you may want to make two or three partitions to organize your ISOs. But leave Partition #4 empty! The system uses it for temporary storage". But the image there shows two iso's in the same partition! ???

from isobooter

Quote:
3. If you have a large drive, you may want to make two or three partitions to organize your ISOs. But leave Partition #4 empty! The system uses it for temporary storage.

it says 'you may want to' not you have to

and

Quote:
Also, suppose you haven't made three partitions. Does Isobooter still create a partition #4?

I answered one post previous

Quote:
it creates it's own 4th partition to do the work

I had never used isobooter until asked by rcrsn51 to help you so no expert by any means but found it created a 4th partition on it's own

you had asked, I had answered and you asked again, I found the information by reading the isobooter thread and trying isobooter

I created one partition, it made another, it gave it a partition number 4

Quote:
Quote:
I still don't know how to put more than one iso on a stick.

I won't copy this one as it's a large piece of text but it also shows an image with more than one iso

Quote:
Are you aware of how insulting your tone is here?

if it upset you I apologise, again it wasn't my intention

Quote:
Quote:
puppeee is configured to save periodlically so as not to load/wear the disc

I think you chose not to read this, 'puppy is configured to save periodically

defined as 'from time to time' or 'at regular intervals' - it does NOT save ALL the time, the system is running in ram and it will save to the disc periodically not at every change

Quote:
Saving all the time doesn't wear the "disc"? Tell me another.

I know 'cos I said
Quote:
so as not to load/wear the disc

Quote:
Quote:
how to turn it off? - dunno, doesn't bother me

I didn't ignore your request for help, I answered - I said I don't know, if you want to know and I don't know, I have told you I don't know how can I help?

Quote:
What do you say we call a truce,

there no need for a truce, you asked questions, people tried to help

Quote:
I'm not really up for being insulted

I wasn't being insulting, if you felt insulted I apoligise again, it was not my intention

Quote:
having my time wasted.

how is people giving up their time to answer your questions wasting your time?

Quote:
If you feel the need for a scapegoat, go try somewhere else please.

a scapegoat for what? very confused

Smile
anikin

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2013, 14:17    Post subject:  

Oh Mike, that was quite a dressing down.
As if you chastised a waiter for substandard service. Next time, ally will think twice, before getting back to someone in need of help.
James C

PostPosted: Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:25    Post subject:  

Congrats Mike7 ..... you've won the " being an ass to someone who took time to try to help" award. Way to go. Laughing
rhadon

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 05:02    Post subject:  

About saving periodically:

rightclick any drive icon -> Run Desktop Drive Icon Manager -> button 'Show full Event Manager' -> tab 'Save Session' -> set Save interval to 0. Wink

HTH
Rolf

anikin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:20    Post subject:  

Hi rhadon,

do you happen to know, where exactly the save session script is? I would like to make the "zero save interval" setting permanent before remastering a fresh frugal install.

Thank you in advance
rhadon

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 13:06    Post subject:  

It's in /usr/sbin/eventmanager (tested in slacko-5.4). I think it's the same in Puppeee, but not sure. If there are problems, ask again.

Look for RAMSAVEINTERVAL Wink

HTH
Rolf

anikin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 14:28    Post subject:  

It must be this one:
Code:
#make sure that RAMSAVEINTERVAL is an integer only...
[ "$NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL" = "" ] && NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL=30 #412
NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL=`echo -n "$NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL" | sed -e 's/[^0-9]//g'`
#do not allow too-frequent saves...
[ $NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL -gt 0 -a $NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL -lt 5 ] && NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL=5

is there a way to set a straight zero here. No intervals. No choice. Just unconditional NO SAVE.

this is being done on upup precise, not puppeee.
rhadon

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 18:12    Post subject:  

I would try to change line #30 (seems to be the initial setting)
Code:
[ ! $RAMSAVEINTERVAL ] && RAMSAVEINTERVAL=30

and #300 (is a workaround, someone exited with invalid settings)
Code:
[ "$NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL" = "" ] && NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL=30 #412

setting to 0 instead of 30 and see what happens.

I'm not sure about this one
Code:
#do not allow too-frequent saves...
[ $NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL -gt 0 -a $NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL -lt 5 ] && NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL=5

Sorry, but I'm not so skilled in bash programming Embarassed .

In general, setting to zero means, it will only save at shutdown. If you want to prevent this also, we must dig deeper, IIRC it's in the initrd.gz and I would try to find the proper thread.

HTH
Rolf

Mike7

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 21:49    Post subject:  

Ally-

I appreciate your help and I apologize for reacting abruptly. My frustration with all this got the better of me. But the truth is that I 've read all the Isobooter stuff a number of times and it still isn't clear to me. Being told to go read it again flipped me.

I don't understand about making partitions and what the difference is between putting more than one iso in the same partition and putting them in separate partitions.

If I could get Isobooter working for me, maybe I could figure out how all this works. But I haven't been able to.

I won't bother anyone here with more questions on the subject until I have.

Thanks again, and sorry for my bad temper.

Mike
Mike7

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 22:05    Post subject:  

Anikin-

I'm sorry you see it that way. The fact is, I wasn't getting helped. Being told to go read something again, after you've read it ten times, isn't helping.

These forums cause problems when the people in them expect everyone to know what they do. I don't know. And frequently the documentation makes things even more confusing, when a short explanation by someone here would solve the problem.

I'm doing the best I can. I think Linux is great, and I love Puppeee 4.4. I'm struggling to learn, and I only ask that I be respected for my efforts.

Mike
Mike7

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 22:08    Post subject:  

james c-

I've been in forums before where there were lurkers waiting for a chance to attack someone, so I won't take your post too seriously.

Cheers!

Mike
Page 6 of 8 [108 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: