Audacity, or any other audio editor for Puppy 4.3.1?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Makoto

Audacity, or any other audio editor for Puppy 4.3.1?

#1 Post by Makoto »

Are there any versions of Audacity available for Puppy 4.3.1? I've tried the existing topics in the forum, and the ones that look like they might work for 4.3.1 have broken links. :(

...Or any good audio editor other than mhWaveEdit, that won't make it difficult to record from line-in. :roll: So, any suggestions welcome. :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

aragon

#3 Post by aragon »

For recording have a look at precord:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49907

Aragon

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

Semme: I'd already tried Dingo's listing - the version of Audacity listed there didn't want to run, even though it was originally compiled for Puppy 3.0.1. :| And the Portable Linux apps usually gripe at me for having an outdated glib/glibc, just as the one you linked to did. :D (More so than usual, actually. :shock: )

aragon: Hmm... precord seems to run, but I don't have the time to sit down and test it at the moment. I was worried precord would want an updated gtkdialog. :oops:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Though you may need a few deps- give this a try. Deps aside- I'm sure one of these could make the cut as well..
Attachments
sweep-gui_pup-431.jpg
(163.01 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

I'll have to remember to take a look at those. I managed to get precord to work... now, all I have to do is manually adjust the mixer sound levels to try for a better recording. :/

(...a few deps? :D )

mini-jaguar

#7 Post by mini-jaguar »

mhWaveEdit is quite easy to use, you simply turn on the generic ALSA mixer, hit the tab key to get to all the input configurations, then adjust the levels with the arrow keys and sometimes space bar to turn on the input.

In fact I only use mhWaveEdit for recording from the line in.

Audacity can be more complicated with the preferences.

But there are some 4.3.2 derivatives with Audacity built in: Great Dane and Gentle Giant, I tried them both but they have some problems with a lot of the packaged software, although Audacity worked on one of them, can't remember which.
Semme wrote:Though you may need a few deps- give this a try.
Don't try this, it's hell.

Just kidding, but it took me a while to figure it out because you have to set how much time you want before starting, then highlight the whole area you want to record. And needs no deps if you get the .pet package from the Puppy 4 ibiblio repository.