Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 15:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
The journey to Archpup..
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 4 of 6 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Author Message
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1073

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2013, 20:07    Post_subject:  

stifiling wrote:
I still feel as though, for some strange reason, ArchPup was avoided like the plague by most the big name senior members, and don't think that just because it wasn't built using woof, was the reason why. I also feel as though quite a few of them were bird's eyeing it like a vulture does a carcass...but for some strange reason, never posting. I can't say for sure because I don't have any super powers to know that for certain but....based on the 'signs' it looks that way.


While I have nothing to base this on other than my own opinions... I think Arch in general has been avoided by most in the PuppyLinux community. I'm curious as to why. I have no ideas though, only opinions which are probably completely wrong.

stifiling wrote:
Anyway, I've been looking for the 64 bit Woof. It's appearing to be buried about just as deep as this thread was. Do you know the link where to download it?

Barry hasnt released one, since he focuses solely on 32bit builds. He did comment about getting a 64bit machine a while ago, but since 32bit OS's will run on 64bit hardware, there's no real need. Also taking into consideration Barry continues to focus Puppy on older hardware, I think it'll be some time till he feels the need to make woof 64 bit compatible. As for fatdog64 being woof built, Jamesbond and Kirk did the work making woof work for 64bit. And right now they are the only ones who have done so. Lighthouse64 5.x was based on Fatdog5x. I dont know what TazOC used woof to build his upcoming LHP64 6.x or not. And Slackbones shares fatdog's lineage.
To my knowledge there are no other 64bit Puppy releases. The 64bit arch puppy I'm working on has not and probably will remain not woof built. (Ran into a problem updating busybox to the most recent release, and am waiting for the bb devs to get back to me on a question I asked)

_________________



Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
puppyluvr


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 3213
Location: Chickasha Oklahoma

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2013, 21:12    Post_subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
As the OP...
This thread was and is about building an Archpup from Woof...
Barry made his reasons clear..
And his choice of this thread was appropriate..
So lets get on point, and lets get Woofing...

_________________
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/puppyluvr/
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook

Puppy since 2.15CE...
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
stifiling

Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 388

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 02:04    Post_subject:  

puppyluvr wrote:
As the OP...
This thread was and is about building an Archpup from Woof...


OP,

what exactly, does this mean?...

puppyluvr wrote:
Very Happy Hello,

@EDIT!!!
It has been done by user "simargl"!!!!


Just wondering if you went 'offtopic' in the 'first' post of your own thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
jrb


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 1040
Location: Smithers, BC, Canada

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 08:14    Post_subject:  

http://www.gapsychology.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=333
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
simargl

Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Posts: 572

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 08:43    Post_subject:  

.
Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5864
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 09:13    Post_subject:  

simargl wrote:

Arch and Puppy combination did not exist before Archpup, so it make sense for that topic to be avoided...


https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=499999#p499999
Quote:

2009-02-16 04:28:58

Arch based Puppy

I used to do dev work for Puppy and still follow their news. BarryK has been adapting Puppy to pull from many different distros repositories, including Arch.


http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00566

Quote:
I have added support for Arch Linux to Woof.

I have just done a test build, the desktop comes up, sound works, looks ok.

However, there is something wrong with the size. The live-CD ISO file is 106MB, whereas the Slackware build with basically the same selection of packages is 93MB. So, something quite large has got in there somehow -- a quick perusal of the files and I can't see what -- oh, one thing which is very odd...

The library file libgs.so.0.8.64 is 14MB, this is part of Ghostscript 8.64. Slackware and Ubuntu have version 8.63 and their lib file is only 6MB. The Arch library file is stripped. Why such an enormous difference in size? But, there has to be something else major to cause the large ISO file.

I see also that SVG image thumbnails are not displaying.

So, it needs work, but is basically functional.


Your attitude is bad enough but even worse is the fact that you're facts are wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
simargl

Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Posts: 572

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 09:19    Post_subject:  

.
Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5864
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 09:30    Post_subject:  

simargl wrote:
Ok attempts to make it did exist, but it did NOT work. Same thing
What a faulty attempt of an argument btw Laughing


Let me see, you were wrong so that means my response(which refuted your incorrect assertion) was faulty?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
shuvvoff_b4iletuavit

Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 09:34    Post_subject:  

i made 1st archpup. Look Shocked http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=691812#691812
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
simargl

Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Posts: 572

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 09:40    Post_subject:  

.
Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5864
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 09:52    Post_subject:  

simargl wrote:
James C, cut the crap and show me working Puppy based on Arch before Archpup.
If you cant, your two post here are pointless.
Bye


No...... pointless is trying to discuss something with someone who can't accept the facts.You remind me of another forum member, when the facts go against you just start slinging insults.Good tactic. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
simargl

Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Posts: 572

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:28    Post_subject:  

.
Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5864
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:41    Post_subject:  

simargl wrote:
Hey James, I have built time machine come and use it - only one small problem is that it's not working.

... Your argument is precisely like this, so I have no intention to continue ...


Your pretty funny....... Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
stifiling

Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 388

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:13    Post_subject:  

All the 'points' are being ignored. the best replies came from Q5sys. Like i said to the OP...before jrb posted an anger management website....

DID YOU POST OFF TOPIC IN THE FIRST POST OF YOUR OWN THEAD???

See if you can get that answered and not ignore it with some other useless post, or another old broken Arch Pup Link.

It pretty pointless anyway. Barry could murder a man around these parts...and it would still be defended.

"He sneezed and it accidentally went off."
"That guy walked in the way of the Gun."
"That guy tripped and fell and the bullet accidentally got him."
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5864
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:16    Post_subject: The original Arch Puppy  

Hey simargl......

Code:
# cat /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
#DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX: prefix for Puppy files... exs: upup-500.sfs, upupsave.2fs, upupz500.sfs
#DISTRO_VERSION: this is the version number of Puppy that you are building. must be 3 digits.
#package list and urls are in file DISTRO-PKGS-SPECS-${DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT}.

DISTRO_VERSION="007"
DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT="arch" #####change this as required#####

case $DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT in
 ubuntu)
  DISTRO_NAME="Intrepid Puppy"
  DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX="upup"
  DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION="intrepid"
 ;;
 debian)
  DISTRO_NAME="Lenny Puppy"
  DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX="dpup"
  DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION="lenny"
 ;;
 slackware)
  DISTRO_NAME="Slack Puppy"
  DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX="spup"
  DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION="12.2"
 ;;
 arch)
  DISTRO_NAME="Arch Puppy"
  DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX="apup"
  DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION="200902"
 ;;
esac
#


Courtesy of the famed developer shuvvoff_b4iletuavit. Smile

Appears to be working....... next weak-assed point.
Arch Puppy 0.0.7.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   53.11 KB
 Viewed   339 Time(s)

Arch Puppy 0.0.7.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 4 of 6 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0897s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0054s) ][ GZIP on ]