Akita Linux, Beta 16 ISO

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sc0ttman

#841 Post by sc0ttman »

partsman wrote:Your more than welcome ! Thank you for Akita and all the help you gave me in making it happen ! So far no real problems to report . i have been playing around with xorgwizzard alittle been thinking of how to get xorg 7.6
to work with it . Broke my puppy alot :cry: lol ! As you know i am using xorg 7.5 . also thought about moving kernel to 3.0.66 to achieve a more updated xorg and broadcom wireless But for now just a thought ! I do wish i had more time ! So belive me I understand about trying to make time to test ! I am just happy you will take the time to look at it :D Thanks sc0ttman ! For all you do for the puppy cause ! :D
And as always if i can ever return the favor please let me know ! :D
If you wanna move to kernel 3.x in Akita, there will be more work to do - in various places, 2.6.x is assumed - newer pups have changed this, as have I in places in akita, but i never got a hold of a comprehensive list of changes, or method for finding all references to kernels versions, to fix them... So there will probably some scripts that need updating - the init script in initrd.gz is probably one...
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

technosaurus

#842 Post by technosaurus »

sc0ttman wrote:If you wanna move to kernel 3.x in Akita, there will be more work to do - in various places, 2.6.x is assumed - newer pups have changed this, as have I in places in akita, but i never got a hold of a comprehensive list of changes, or method for finding all references to kernels versions, to fix them... So there will probably some scripts that need updating - the init script in initrd.gz is probably one...
and ndiswrapper.c (its a simple change though)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

slimhunter

#843 Post by slimhunter »

I'm working on the translations of those plain-text files, i'll post here when i'll be done ;)

Meanwhile, since this is a distro thought for old computers just like - eg - Legacy OS, i may have a suggestion for a good, updated pet that should be made available through repositories: i'm talking about Minitube; it's an app that lets you see youtube vids in good quality wihout using Flash. this cleans the problems of laggy and desynchronized videos. in the past i used to install it in my p3 within xubuntu 9.04 and it worked like a charm!

binaries are free and available on the creator's website (link below); i saw there's v1.8 pet for Dpup Exprimo in this forum but it says we have missing dependencies.

try to check it out, i'm sure you'll fall in love with it ;)

link of the binaries: http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube

link of the already made pet for dpup exprimo: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... af1d8fcca7

now we are at v2.0, that pup is v1.8 but i think it could be useful to you for seeing how it's made :)

NOTE: if this appears to be too heavy, check the youtube gtk viewer ;)

partsman

akia kernel switch

#844 Post by partsman »

sc0ttman wrote:
If you wanna move to kernel 3.x in Akita, there will be more work to do - in various places, 2.6.x is assumed - newer pups have changed this, as have I in places in akita, but i never got a hold of a comprehensive list of changes, or method for finding all references to kernels versions, to fix them... So there will probably some scripts that need updating - the init script in initrd.gz is probably one...

I may give it a try just to see the outcome and i need the practice :D but i am more intrested in the kernel i am useing now ! I think its enough for much newer PC's :D and that was the goal ! :D I will be excited to see what you think of it my only regret is i did not keep the original akita dog pic on the grub loader. but my lack of experience i was not able to do so :( But other than that broadcom wireless , realtek audio etc. is all good ! Also nvidia drivers may be a problem :? I do although i do have an sfs file that should work :wink: thanks for all your valuable input sc0ttman its much appreciated :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

partsman

firedog 3.6

#845 Post by partsman »

my apologies to sc0ttman and slimhunter :oops:
i downloaded firedog 3.6 and just as slimhunter said it downloaded to root/downloads folder I installed it and also have these dependencies :

'/usr/lib/firefox/components/libbrowsercomps.so' is missing these dependencies:
libxpcom.so libxul.so
'/usr/lib/firefox/components/libbrowserdirprovider.so' is missing these dependencies:
libxpcom.so
'/usr/lib/firefox/components/libdbusservice.so' is missing these dependencies:
libxpcom.so
'/usr/lib/firefox/components/libimgicon.so' is missing these dependencies:
libxpcom.so
'/usr/lib/firefox/components/libmozgnome.so' is missing these dependencies:
libxpcom.so libgconf-2.so.4 libORBit-2.so.0 libgnomevfs-2.so.0 libnotify.so.1
'/usr/lib/firefox/components/libnkgnomevfs.so' is missing these dependencies:
libxpcom.so libgnomevfs-2.so.0 libgconf-2.so.4 libORBit-2.so.0
'/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin' is missing these dependencies:
libxul.so libmozjs.so libxpcom.so
'/usr/lib/firefox/libsoftokn3.so' is missing these dependencies:
libsqlite3.so
'/usr/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so' is missing these dependencies:
libxul.so
'/usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so' is missing these dependencies:
libsqlite3.so libmozjs.so
'/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container' is missing these dependencies:
libxpcom.so libxul.so
'/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libnullplugin.so' is missing these dependencies:
libxpcom.so libxul.so
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

slimhunter

#846 Post by slimhunter »

@partsman: it'll work anyway, i'm actually using it; the only problem with that now is that it won't appear in the Internet\WWW sub-menu, but i think this will be solved quite easily ;

Also, i have to tell that MAYBE there's a little problem with ethernet auto connection: sometimes i have to run again the Simple Network Setup and do all the steps to recognize eth0 (despite its profile is still saved) because it won't connect to the net. it could be just a problem from my network interface, i'll investigate it and report the result, but keep in mind this potential problem ;)

partsman

firedog 3.6

#847 Post by partsman »

slimhunter wrote:
Also, i have to tell that MAYBE there's a little problem with ethernet auto connection: sometimes i have to run again the Simple Network Setup and do all the steps to recognize eth0 (despite its profile is still saved) because it won't connect to the net. it could be just a problem from my network interface, i'll investigate it and report the result, but keep in mind this potential problem.

I too have noticed a problem i am using sns to connect wlan0 using broadcom wireless thx to a newer kernel but my daughter pc is the
2.6.25.16 kernel also see this problem I have also seen the same prob
in other puppies :? I guess i just got used to it :D but all i usually have to do is press home button on my browser a few times and it works without having to run sns again :D It is more noticable after inactivity for a while !
i do recall a pet called "stay connected" that may solve the problem :wink:
I will have to investigate ! :wink: Also thanks for posting about the
mini tube it would be very helpful on my daughters older pc :wink:
I will try to compile and make a pet ! Wish i had more time ! I love this stuff :D
lol :lol:

partsman

firedog 3.6

#848 Post by partsman »

slimhunter wrote :
@partsman: it'll work anyway, i'm actually using it; the only problem with that now is that it won't appear in the Internet\WWW sub-menu, but i think this will be solved quite easily

just wondered before you chase your tail to much did you try refresh
menu tab or open a term and type fix menus ? just a thought :wink:

partsman

mini tube

#849 Post by partsman »

I got minitube somewhat working but video not playing :?
see screen shot :lol:
installed :
dbus1.2.26
dbus glib0.82
libjpeg-8d-i486
from ppm
converted from debian:
libasyncns0_0.3-1.1_i386.pet
libhonon4_4.6.0really4.4.2-1_i386.pet
libpulse0_0.921-3+squeeze1_i386.pet
libpulse-mainloop-glib0_0.9.21-3+sqeeze1_i386.pet
libwrap0_7.6q-19_i386.pet
minitube_0.9-0ubuntu1-i386.pet

will continue to try to get a video output :?
here is screenshot:

sc0ttman

#850 Post by sc0ttman »

thanks for all the testing.. and those translations will be great thanks.. no rush...

I will definitely try to get minitube working at some point... Maybe it needs mplayer installed? Mplayer is in the akita repo... Or maybe it needs VLC set in the options somewhere? Maybe it wants a newer ffmpeg.. I will check soon... Also, some of those deps are already in the akita repo - libasync and maybe others..

Akita already has "gtk_youtube_viewer-3.0.2-akita in the repo... That will also search, browser and play youtube videos without flash... Also VLC-GTK in Akita will play youtube videos.. In akita, I often copy a youtube URL from a browser/whatever, then just hit Ctrl-Alt-V to play in VLC...

-------------

On another note, I am going to include build_pet from Tman in the next akita, i finally got around to playing with it, it seems fantastic..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

partsman

minitube foor akita

#851 Post by partsman »

sc0ttman wrote:
Akita already has "gtk_youtube_viewer-3.0.2-akita in the repo... That will also search, browser and play youtube videos without flash... Also VLC-GTK in Akita will play youtube videos.. In akita, I often copy a youtube URL from a browser/whatever, then just hit Ctrl-Alt-V to play in VLC...

Thanks sc0ttman i didnt know that vlc-gtk allowed you to watch youtube video without flash :D I am still very green :lol: but more than willing to learn and try new things :D I know you have put alot of your time and energy into the vlc-gtk project but i lack understanding the whole thing :? maybe you could sum it up for me nextime you post if you would be so kind :D But knowing now that we can use vlc to watch youtube my daughter will be delighted her low spec pc doent like flashplayer to well :( I know that you have included so awsome tools in akita ! Thank you very much ! me and my daughter very much like playing retro games on akita :D However i used puppy arcade 8 sfs to achieve this instaed of the pets from ppm I also would like to say thanks from all of us for taking the time to create akita & puppy arcade :D also will be glad to see firedog 3.6 updated and working well looking forward to it :D thanks again !

partsman

minitube

#852 Post by partsman »

I was able to get minitube working by adding :
xine-lib-1.1-19-i386 from ppm
and phonon-backend-xine_4.4.0 0ubuntu2_i386
phonon-backend-gstreamer_4.4.0 0ubuntu2_i386
phonon-backend-null_4.4.0 0ubuntu2_all
also converted from debian

so far so good :D
sc0ttman your feed back is well appreciated on this ! thanks :wink:
like i said very green here ! :lol:
I may have more installed than needed
but working good so far full screen also good :wink:

slimhunter

#853 Post by slimhunter »

sc0ttman wrote:Also VLC-GTK in Akita will play youtube videos.. In akita, I often copy a youtube URL from a browser/whatever, then just hit Ctrl-Alt-V to play in VLC...
You know i'm gonna love you forever and ever for this? :lol:
Seriously, a nice "tips & tricks" .html file should be put in Akita for suggesting such kind of clever uses that help you to revive your old pc. this could be a sort of "killer app" for this lovely puplet
partsman wrote:I was able to get minitube working by adding :
xine-lib-1.1-19-i386 from ppm
and phonon-backend-xine_4.4.0 0ubuntu2_i386
phonon-backend-gstreamer_4.4.0 0ubuntu2_i386
phonon-backend-null_4.4.0 0ubuntu2_all
also converted from debian
Woud you mind to share (if you know how to pack it) a full working .pet for getting this in my akita? :oops:

partsman

minitube

#854 Post by partsman »

slimhunter wrote:
Woud you mind to share (if you know how to pack it) a full working .pet for getting this in my akita?

I would absolutely share but i know sc0ttman is on the case :wink:
my work is most likely unstable and every once and awhile i get an error in terminal i think something to do with dbus :? Believe me this is sc0ttmans expertise :wink: He will do what he can and his knowledge is far greater than mine . With that said if you still would like these pets i would gladly share :D but sc0ttman will do his thing and i know that i will use what he has to offer over mine :D
Like i said i just was playing seeing what i could do . Maybe my findings could be of help to sc0ttman's development but most likely i have got alot wrong ! but part of learning is trying things :D
I also wanted to say slimhunter i am glad you have taken a liking to akita so that we have more interested in akita the more fun it becomes and all of us trying new things and helping sc0ttman where we can will take akita to the next level with scc0ttman's
wonderful puplet ! I just think his work is wonderful I have literally
tried every puppy i could find and each one is absolutely fabulous :D But akita is what i have been looking for for about a year or more and i am excited to see how far sc0ttman can take it ! :wink: I just love it !! :D I really hope akita is what you are looking for ! So we all can enjoy sc0ttman's puppy together for a long time to come :D

sc0ttman

#855 Post by sc0ttman »

slimhunter wrote:
sc0ttman wrote:Also VLC-GTK in Akita will play youtube videos.. In akita, I often copy a youtube URL from a browser/whatever, then just hit Ctrl-Alt-V to play in VLC...
You know i'm gonna love you forever and ever for this? :lol:
Seriously, a nice "tips & tricks" .html file should be put in Akita for suggesting such kind of clever uses that help you to revive your old pc. this could be a sort of "killer app" for this lovely puplet
The help docs for VLC-GTK are in the 'Help' tab - it's pathetically brief and vague tho... Also, the Akita Setup tool has a 'Hotkeys' tab - which does list all the hotkeys youc an use, including Ctrl+F1-F9 loads up key progs, as well as the Ctrl-Alt -V trick..
Ctrl-Alt-v try to execute clipboard contents
Ctrl-Alt-g google search the clipboard contents
Ctrl-Alt-u puppy search the clipboard contents
And you can add more stuff to the Ctrl-Alt-V stuff, by editing /usr/sbin/pastengo

There are lots of how tos and guides for random bits n bobs in /root/my-documents/akita/ ... including stuff on compiling, saving online streams, using puppy in general, saving settings, etc ..

As I am compiling at the mo... Here's another totally random little tip.. If compiling stuff, you usually need to run the ./configure command, to set the right settings for your system.. You can get what Puppy typically uses by typing the following in the terminal:

Code: Select all

cat /root/my-documents/akita_help/compiling/*guide* | grep -m1 './configure'
(If you dont know, you can highlight text in ur browser then middle-click or use Shirt+Insert to paste it into a terminal... a nice time saver!)

I haven't bothered checking out minitube yet, will do at some point... In the meantime i added these to the repo (not yet in PPM, go to akita.scottjarvis.com):

UPX-3.08-i386.pet ..... 14-Mar-2013 18:42 1.0M
firefox-17esr-akita.pet ..... 14-Mar-2013 18:36 24M
pkg-config_DOC-0.28-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:23 12K
pkg-config_DEV-0.28-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:23 3.1K
pkg-config-0.28-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:23 139K
intltool_DOC-0.50.2-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:23 4.1K
intltool_DEV-0.50.2-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:22 3.5K
intltool-0.50.2-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:22 32K
deadbeef_NLS-0.5.6-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:22 314K
deadbeef_DOC-0.5.6-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:22 29K
deadbeef_DEV-0.5.6-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:22 15K
deadbeef-0.5.6-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:22 746K
aqualung_NLS-1269-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:22 332K
aqualung_DOC-1269-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:22 262K
aqualung-1269-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 21:22 641K
tixati-1.94.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 15:48 15M
mplayer_DOC-svn10032013-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:59 105K
mplayer-svn10032013-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:59 3.6M
leafpad_NLS-0.8.18.1-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:58 42K
leafpad-0.8.18.1-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:58 32K
geany_NLS-1.23-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:58 1.2M
geany_DOC-1.23-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:58 1.1M
geany_DEV-1.23-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:57 96K
geany-1.23-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:57 821K
freeciv-2.3.4-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:54 7.8M
freeciv_DEV-2.3.4-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:52 855
freeciv_DOC-2.3.4-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:52 7.4K
freeciv_NLS-2.3.4-i486.pet ..... 12-Mar-2013 11:52 5.7M
yetris-1.5.pet .... 03-Mar-2013 07:28 42K
sjpplog-1.3-akita.pet .... 03-Mar-2013 02:58 86K
sjpplog_DEV-1.3-akita.pet .... 03-Mar-2013 02:58 68K
moc_DOC-2.4.4-i486-akita.pet .... 21-Feb-2013 06:27 10K
moc_DEV-2.4.4-i486-akita.pet .... 21-Feb-2013 06:27 102K
moc-2.4.4-i486-akita.pet .... 21-Feb-2013 06:26 127K
tmux-1.7-i486-akita.pet .... 21-Feb-2013 03:35 168K
src2pkg-2.8-noarch-1.pet .... 20-Feb-2013 10:51 2.9M
--------------

NOTE: I have updated buildpet to 0.5, added a few more build scripts, and a few fixes, plus more verbose exit messages... I'll keep at it, hopefully integrate it fully with 'Pkg' - so the akita will have a nice command-line package manager, with loads of features, that can also build pet pkgs from source ...

I am also thinking about making the build scripts available in an online repo, as hopefully that will encourage others to use the buildpet system, and to create their own build scripts...

I think buildpet needs a way of overriding the default VARS set at the top of each build script, you can pass a specific pkg version and ignore what is in the build script, for example..
------------------

...I will also have a look at TXZPup, and the sbopkg/src2pkg tool that it uses for installing pkgs from source using slackware repos.. I think it might be worthwhile, I compiled a game called 'abe' from source using the latest sbopkg, without any messing around..

-------------

Last thing, I'd like lots of gtk1 apps in the Akita repo, so I would really appreciate links to gtk1 apps/repos that'll work in akita... I know goingnuts and amigo et al must've made some stuff...
Last edited by sc0ttman on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

partsman

#856 Post by partsman »

sc0ttman wrote :
There are lots of how tos and guides for random bits n bobs in /root/my-documents/akita/ ... including stuff on compiling, saving online streams, using puppy in general, saving settings, etc ..

Thanks for the info sc0ttman ! I love trying to compile. Some things i have managed to do :) While others are a bit more challenging :?
I am gonna try taking a more serious look around in akita there are so many tools and programs you have provided its just unreal to me :D
Just another reason why I LOVE AKITA ! :D
Thanks for your ongoing support of akita :D And thanks for the info
sc0ttman it is much appreciated :wink:

partsman

gtk1 apps

#857 Post by partsman »

sc0ttman wrote :
Last thing, I'd like lots of gtk1 apps in the Akita repo, so I would really appreciate links to gtk1 apps/repos that'll work in akita... I know goingnuts and amigo et al must've made some stuff...

I would love to be able to help :D but your gonna have to enlighten me
on gtk or gtk1 not sure exactly what that meens :? still have alot to learn here :lol: but would love to help :wink:

LoboGrande

Solved the sound problem.

#858 Post by LoboGrande »

I solved the problem in a bass-ackwards sort of way. I was testing Wary 5.5 on the old TUV4x which also had no sound. Went into ALSA Wizard and found all the levels at zero. Had to raise the analog levels to get any sound out. Booted the computer with Akita-13 disc(last version that the sound worked) and found that the ALSA Wizard had also gone to zero, repeated the process. Same with B11 and B12. Booted from Akita-14 disc and yup the levels in ALSA Wizard were all at zero and again no sound until I raised the analog levels. . How it affected the other saves files is a mystery that I'll have to figure out later. My sound card is pretty ancient, a Creative Audio 0106 Sound Blaster but it had worked without running the ALSA Wizards in Akita, Betas 9-13. Weird,eh?

Puppyt

#859 Post by Puppyt »

@partsman, you might appreciate pa-mcclamrocks site here http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html, I think I've mentioned it before on this thread regarding Akita's fabulous potential as an educational tool, but as you've just raised GTK+ there's a bit of an explanation there ("...it's the "GIMP Tool Kit" for producing good-looking graphical windows with consistent color schemes" - Pa McClamrock)
Beyond that, I know nada - I'm an end-user (luser, joked one of the developers - pretty aptly) so I wish you the very best with your learning journey. Send Postcards in the forms of pets, tutorials and the odd feedback for us perennial tragics, will you?

@sc0ttman - really sorry about not getting back to you re the HDMI audio settings on my HD5450 glx video card, you so kindly posted an updated driver here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 163#676163. Now, I just haven't had the time to explore the issue lately though as I mentioned, FatDog Beta610 picked it up fine after I changed a VLC setting - but it has a different set of options than yours, or even the non-GTK version I think I downloaded from your repository, and I haven't explored further. But I'm excited about this little mention recently with a similar card, as to getting HDMI audio on a Radeon HD 6250 - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2097657167 a gem of a solution, perhaps, from new poster Kerry Blue?
Kerry Blue wrote:After many hours I just solved it!!!! (boy, am I happy)

Change the following entries in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf with an editor from value "card 0" to "card 1":

So inside /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf change these lines, from :

defaults.ctl.card 0 to defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1 to defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.rawmidi.card 1 to defaults.rawmidi.card 1
defaults.hwdep.card 1 to defaults.hwdep.card 1
defaults.timer.card 1 to defaults.timer.card 1

Then run alsaconf and select the right soundcard: I now have sound!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

sc0ttman

#860 Post by sc0ttman »

Puppyt wrote:@partsman, you might appreciate pa-mcclamrocks site here http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html, I think I've mentioned it before on this thread
This pet is those apps, setup to work with gtk like interface (needs tcl/tk,gnocl...) : http://akita.scottjarvis.com/wish_apps-001-akita.pet I recommend you get it from the PPM, not here, as the PPM will install the required deps... It includes a great dual pane file manager, account manager, disc burning prog, text editor, graphical tcl console, ... progs usually need at least 1024x768 (only cos i insisted on using the gnocl version)...
@sc0ttman - really sorry about not getting back to you re the HDMI audio settings on my HD5450 glx video card, you so kindly posted an updated driver here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 163#676163. Now, I just haven't had the time to explore the issue lately though as I mentioned, FatDog Beta610 picked it up fine after I changed a VLC setting - but it has a different set of options than yours, or even the non-GTK version I think I downloaded from your repository, and I haven't explored further. But I'm excited about this little mention recently with a similar card, as to getting HDMI audio on a Radeon HD 6250 - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2097657167 a gem of a solution, perhaps, from new poster Kerry Blue?
Kerry Blue wrote:After many hours I just solved it!!!! (boy, am I happy)

Change the following entries in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf with an editor from value "card 0" to "card 1":

So inside /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf change these lines, from :

defaults.ctl.card 0 to defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1 to defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.rawmidi.card 1 to defaults.rawmidi.card 1
defaults.hwdep.card 1 to defaults.hwdep.card 1
defaults.timer.card 1 to defaults.timer.card 1

Then run alsaconf and select the right soundcard: I now have sound!
I'll have a play around, it's on my to do list, thanks for getting back to me about it.. But i know nowt about sound stuff - just hope to hear the barks at boot time! But presume, changing card from 0 to 1 is what the Multiple Sound Card Wizard does.... :?: .. If so, it's already in akita..

Also, if you find that VLC option, or anyone else knows it (esp. the command line option), let me know!