How do I remaster a custom Puppy?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gameboyab

#21 Post by gameboyab »

It's still possible to read punch cards today - or analog audio from wire spools. It just takes a bit of willingness to put in the effort.

If some longer-lasting media arrives, then at the very least, I'll have everything all nicely sorted out to be transferred. And in the meantime, it'll all be safely stored and tucked away. (Yes, including having multiple copies in different locations, if all goes well.)
I didn't mean to come off as rude.
I guess the only archival medium that can be used is one that actually exists. :)
Not running as root is the cause of my inferiority complex.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#22 Post by Flash »

DataPacRat, it was I who changed the title of this thread, to reflect what seemed to me to be the main topic of the thread. The idea is to attract people who know the answer, and to help people who might have the same problem as you. :)

The forum might work better for you if you start a new thread for each particular question, rather than ask a bunch of unrelated questions in one thread. Many people will see the title of a thread but not try to help if they don't know anything about the subject. Few people will follow a thread unless they're interested in the subject. Make sense?

If you're interested in trying out multisession Puppy, I recommend starting with a rewritable DVD. Use Puppy's Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd to burn the Puppy iso onto it, then boot the newly burned DVD and use Menu -> Multimedia -> Pburn to add stuff to the same (or a different) DVD. Programs that you add to Puppy will be saved onto the DVD when you shut down, and restored when you reboot.

As far as I know, there are only two restrictions to using multisession Puppy: it needs at least 256 MB of RAM and it won't work in some laptops because of an unknown problem or incompatibility with the DVD drive.

musher0

#23 Post by musher0 »

Hello.

I don't know if this is the place to report it, but all recent remaster scripts have the same bug or oversight: they don't report the number of Mg's needed, or only as "[blank] M". Not even as "Mb's" or "Mg's", hehe. It used to be that you got a real reading at that place in the script.

Of course most hard drives nowadays are quite spacious, so it's not a big worry, but still, it would be nice to get an idea at the start of how big your remastered iso will be.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#24 Post by musher0 »

Hello, all.

Answering my own question :

dougal's remaster-2.16 will indicate the required size beforehand.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... r-2.16.pet

There's also http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cid525.pet

There's a good tutorial here : http://minipc.org/safepup/index.php?fil ... 0Build.htm

Which gives weight to DataPacRat's argument that newer things are not always the best.

Attached is my preference, muppyremaster.sh, that I carry from Puppy to Puppy. How different MU made it from the original dougal script, I do not know, but it works! Please unpack in /usr/sbin.

BFN.
Attachments
muppyremaster.tar.gz
A Puppy remaster script that works, from the Muppy era. Keep a back-up in a safe place!
(9.04 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

majorfoo

#25 Post by majorfoo »

CatDude provides an excellent tutorial here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71349

Screen examples that helps walk you through the process. Changes can be made to fit your specific needs.

Hope this helps

DataPacRat

#26 Post by DataPacRat »

Ever have one of those weeks?

It's currently after 2am locally, and I've gotten a bit frustrated with anything Linux-related (even though I'm still happy to be using it instead of Windows as my main OS). (I've repartitioned my laptop to dual-boot, at which time my sound stopped working for no apparent reason; and I've been busy enough to not have enough time to even try figuring out that issue, let alone work on the remastering this thread is all about. Etc, etc.)

So I'm going to try to sidestep everything that's getting my dander up... by offering a bounty to anyone who's willing to take the few minutes it would likely take for someone who actually knows what they're doing, instead of the many hours over a few weeks during which I've made little progress of my own.

Goal 1: Direct me to an ISO of a Puppy Linux containing readers for, beyond what's standard in Slacko, DJVU, EPUB, and CBR/CBZ. Reward offered; $20.

Goal 2: Direct me to an ISO which does the above, and is also nicely cleaned up so everything Just Works: a nice theme with minimal clutter, starting up with a window of the media's local documents, all the MIME types properly associated with their programs, and generally being something that's worth calling a custom Puppy of its own. ('PupReader 0.1', perhaps?) Reward offered: $40.

Reward to be Paypalled to the recipient's account of choice. In case there are multiple applicants, I will choose which version best fulfills my desired criteria.

I shall now crash for the night, and hope that in the morning this seems as good an idea as it does to me now.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."

dancytron

#27 Post by dancytron »

I have a lupu remaster that has FB Reader and latest version of chrome.

And a Wine sfs file with Kindle and Barnes and Nobles reader preinstalled that goes with it.

Lots of extra stuff deleted but core puppy programs still there.

I'll remaster it one more time to make sure there aren't any personal documents or passwords etc in it and upload it somewhere.

edit:

Qcomic appears to work. It reads many many different kinds of files, which ones do I need to download samples of, test, and associate in rox filer?

DataPacRat

#28 Post by DataPacRat »

dancytron wrote:Qcomic appears to work. It reads many many different kinds of files, which ones do I need to download samples of, test, and associate in rox filer?
For comic-book files, the reference .cbr and .cbz files I'm using for my tests come from the public domain items at http://archive.org/details/ComicBooksBasedOnMovies . Specifically, from the 'download all' directory at https://ia700406.us.archive.org/10/item ... dOnMovies/ , https://ia700406.us.archive.org/10/item ... icture.cbr and https://ia700406.us.archive.org/10/item ... e-1950.cbz .

(I don't have any handy references for the other comic book archive formats, cb7, cba, and cbt, as they're less common, and I've generally assumed if I figured out how to get the other two to work, I'd be able to manage those as well.)
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

dancytron

#29 Post by dancytron »

Okay, I got fbreader (upub), qcomicbook (cbr and cbz), and djview4 (djvu files) installed and run actions set and icons on the desktop.

I'll probably have something to upload tomorrow.

DataPacRat

#30 Post by DataPacRat »

dancytron wrote:Okay, I got fbreader (upub), qcomicbook (cbr and cbz), and djview4 (djvu files) installed and run actions set and icons on the desktop.

I'll probably have something to upload tomorrow.
I look forward to taking a look at it. :)

(Would I be safe in assuming that you've left in an ordinary Puppy's HTML browser, .TXT writer, .DOC writer, image viewer, audio player, and movie player; and that the total package remains a reasonably small size?)
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

dancytron

#31 Post by dancytron »

Chrome is the html reader/web browser.

The only flash is inside chrome.

Seamonkey/Mozilla is gone (not just the browser, the email client and html editor are gone too).

Added gtk youtube.

Has QT4 installed from repository.

Transmission (torrents), didi wiki, pplog (web server stuff) is gone.

Most other puppy stuff is there.

How are you planning on installing it? It makes a difference on how Chrome is set to launch.

edit: rough guess 220 meg. Someone who truly knew what they were doing could probably trim a lot of that out.

dancytron

#32 Post by dancytron »

DataPacRat

I sent you a pm with a link

dan