Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 28 Aug 2014, 11:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppeee 4.4 revisited
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 8 [108 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 08:31    Post subject:  

Mike7 wrote:
It wouldn't boot into the new Slitaz pendrive!

Please be specific. What exactly happened? What messages did you get?

Did you try any other ISOs? Like a Puppy?
Mike7

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 22:13    Post subject:  

Hi, rcrsn51.

Quote:
What exactly happened? What messages did you get?

Nothing happened. No messages.The Isobooter setup went smoothly as per your instructions. But the pendrive won't boot the computer, so it boots into Windows as usual.

When I look at the contents of the pendrive everything is there: grldr, slitaz-3.0.iso, and menu.list (and the Isobooter program, which you didn't say to remove).

Quote:
Did you try any other ISOs? Like a Puppy?

Not yet, but I will.

Cheers!

Mike
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 03:44    Post subject:  

It may be that the Eee BIOS is not compatible with Grub4Dos. I don't own one, so I cannot test this.

Maybe some other Eee owner here can test it for you.
ally

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 07:10    Post subject:  

I have earlier models (701/901) which both work fine with grub4dos so sure the later models will too

only trouble I ever had was trying to boot from left hand usb - they only boot from the right ones

have used cdrom, usb stick and sd card without problems

Smile
anikin

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 08:45    Post subject:    

No BIOS/grub4dos clash issues, whatsoever on my eeepc901 & eeepc1000, both are dual SSD models.

Mike, I'm too a big fan of Jemimah's puppee, but I also keep an eye on what's currently available here. Latest kernels (3 and upward) have dramatically improved in terms of support for Intel Atom processors, specifically in power management. Have a look at pemasu's upupPrecise (kernel 3.7.2) or Barry's Precise beta with kernel 3.8. You'll be amazed, as these two are absolutely cold blooded beasts. And should you need fan control for your netbook, take advantage of rcrsn51's presence here and ask him to compile one for you. I did once:)
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:23    Post subject:  

ally or anikin: In that case, could you do a test of ISObooter for Mike?

Do your versions of Puppeee have Grub4Dos built-in?
ally

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 12:09    Post subject:  

hey rcrsn51

no worries, will report back on isobooter

as for grub4dos IIRC I used the one from slacko repo (I normally run slacko on other machines)

Smile
ally

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 14:19    Post subject:  

rcrsn51

isobooter working well, impressed actually

some points to mention however

I found it easier to copy isobooter and iso to usb stick and THEN run isobooter which is a little different from the page instructions

also the iso files created in partition 4 did not get overwritten so needed a reformat

once I got my head round it it worked like a charm - eeepc happily booted (remember to select boot device by hitting esc at start up)

all good!

Smile

ps - I used puppee1.0 celeron as I have a different processor type
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 15:44    Post subject:  

Thanks. So I don't know why Mike's setup won't boot.
Mike7

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 20:06    Post subject:  

Hi, rcrsn51, ally, and anikin. Thanks for hanging in there with me on this.

Ally wrote:
Quote:
only trouble I ever had was trying to boot from left hand usb - they only boot from the right ones

I can boot my Puppeee 4.4 and Kaspersky pendrives from either side of my EeePC 1000HA, so I don't think that's the problem.

Quote:
I found it easier to copy isobooter and iso to usb stick and THEN run isobooter

I'll try that.

Quote:
the iso files created in partition 4 did not get overwritten so needed a reformat

I don't undertand this. Can you explain, please? Also, should I create partitions, or is it safer to use the whole pendrive? If partitions, how many and how big? (I've been trying all this on a Verbatim 4Gb stick. I also have an empty Kingston 1Gb, and two empty Sandisks: 4Gb and 32Gb.) )

Are there different versions of grub4dos? If so, should I try another one? Which?

Anikin wrote:
Quote:
Latest kernels (3 and upward) have dramatically improved

I'll try using Isobooter on a Puppy next, like rcrsn51 suggested. I downloaded some slackos (slacko-5.3.1-SCSI-MAIN.iso and slacko-5.4-firefox-4g.iso) to try. Would Precise Puppy be better, on the off chance that it works this time <grin>?

By the way, are all these iso's hybrid? If not sure, is it okay to run isohybrid on them? Does anyone know if it can damage the iso file if it was already hybrid?

rcrsn51 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know why Mike's setup won't boot.

It's possible that using dd on the pendrives without really knowing what I was doing has damaged either the pendrives or, in some way, my computer or the BIOS. This is the only thing I can think of to explain what's going on.

Cheers!

Mike
ally

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2013, 05:40    Post subject:  

hey mike

Quote:
the iso files created in partition 4 did not get overwritten so needed a reformat

after making a fat32 partition (only 1 needed) the isobooter program creates a temporary partition to 'unpack' the iso file

when I tried a different file (one to suit my processor) it didn't overwrite the files from the first try

my solution was to reformat and start again, the whole process takes about 30seconds

format fat32>copy isobooter & puppy iso files> run isobooter

jobs a good 'un

only a few iso's are hybrids like fatdog64, hybrids won't damage your usb stick

Smile
Mike7

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2013, 15:30    Post subject:  

Hi, Ally.

You wrote:

Quote:
after making a fat32 partition (only 1 needed) the isobooter program creates a temporary partition to 'unpack' the iso file

Where does Isobooter put the unpacked iso files after unpacking the iso into a temporary partition? I didn't see unpacked iso files on my pendrive after I ran isobooter, just menu.list. (This is all rather confusing ,grin>.)

Quote:
when I tried a different file (one to suit my processor) it didn't overwrite the files from the first try

You mean a different Linux iso, right?

Quote:
format fat32>copy isobooter & puppy iso files> run isobooter

That's what I've been doing, but for some reason it hasn't worked.

Quote:
only a few iso's are hybrids like fatdog64

But one can make them hybrid by running the isohybrid app on them. I still don't know if Isobooter does the same thing. Some versions of Syslinux do, maybe all of them. And it is my undertsanding that the iso used for a pendrive installation must be hybrid. So, either Isobooter needs to hybridize the iso, or the iso needs to be hybridized before running isobooter on it. Anything else just does not make sense to me.

Quote:
hybrids won't damage your usb stick

That's not what I said. I wondered if running the isohybrid app on an iso that was already hybrid could damage it; that is, damage either the iso or eventually the stick when the double-hybridized iso was installed to it.

In any case, after a great deal of trouble I just succeeded in making a bootable stick with another version of Linux (Slitaz), using Universal-USB-Installer from pendrivelinux.com. It wasn't an easy installation. I had to run the stick through the Puppeee testdisk tool, which fixed a boot sector error and wrote a new MBR.

However, this did prove, among other things, that at least my pendrives are not being damaged by all this experimentation, which is a big relief <grin>.

I'd still like to get Isobooter working for me. I have yet to succeed with any easy installation to a stick.

Cheers!

Mike
Mike7

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2013, 15:53    Post subject:  

rcrsn51-

Ally says:
Quote:
the isobooter program creates a temporary partition to 'unpack' the iso file

I didn't see any unpacked iso files on my stick after running Isobooter, just menu.list. Are they in a hidden partition? Or do they get unpacked when the stick is booted? Can you explain, please?

{Note: See my post to Ally re recent successful install of Slitaz to same stick using another installation program and Puppeee's tesdisk.}

Cheers!

Mike
ally

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2013, 15:55    Post subject:  

mike

try the same procedure on another puppy version in case the 4.4 iso in dodgy

pick something newer slacko/precise/wary/racy

Smile
Mike7

PostPosted: Mon 11 Mar 2013, 02:29    Post subject:  

Hi, Ally.

I'll do that as soon as I have a chance. At the moment I have no hot water in my apartment (water heater blew up on me), and the rain is coming in through a leak in my dining-room roof. So I'm a little flustered right now <grin>.

It really would help me a lot, though, if you could answer the questions in my previous post. (Same for rcrsn51.)

I know I can make this work if I get a little more help from you guys in the forum.

Cheers!

Mike
Page 5 of 8 [108 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: