VirtualBox for many Puppies

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
Q5sys

#141 Post by Q5sys »

TheAsterisk! wrote:I know I'm a bit behind, but I've been trying to resolve hosting issues with my little website, and I'll also need to take down my Dropbox mirror. (The mirror hosted on SilverDollarSolutions.com will still be available, and another will be brought online within a week or so to take the Dropbox mirror's place.) Until that's done, don't expect too much in the way of updates.

Sorry! I hope you all can understand, and have abundant patience!
perhaps I'm late to the party... but have you ever just considered setting up a sourceforge account? What you are dealing with is OSS, so it'd be allowed.

TheAsterisk!

#142 Post by TheAsterisk! »

VirtualBox 4.2.6 packages are completed, including some for the newer Slacko and Precise releases, but probably won't be uploaded until tomorrow afternoon. I'll be back to update the thread soon!
Q5sys wrote:
TheAsterisk! wrote:I know I'm a bit behind, but I've been trying to resolve hosting issues with my little website, and I'll also need to take down my Dropbox mirror. (The mirror hosted on SilverDollarSolutions.com will still be available, and another will be brought online within a week or so to take the Dropbox mirror's place.) Until that's done, don't expect too much in the way of updates.

Sorry! I hope you all can understand, and have abundant patience!
perhaps I'm late to the party... but have you ever just considered setting up a sourceforge account? What you are dealing with is OSS, so it'd be allowed.
Not a bad idea, actually; I'd just assumed that they only allowed that for original or forked code, i.e., not mere package maintenance. As things stand now, though, it's no longer an issue, but it's certainly something to keep in mind. Thanks for the interest and the suggestion!

TheAsterisk!

#143 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Fully updated all mirrors and website, etc., to VirtualBox 4.2.6! I also added a combined SFS4 module for most Precise, Slacko and Lucid releases, as well as Puppy 431 and the latest Quirky/Racy/Wary releases.

(There was also some minimal reorganization. For instance, the NLS packages' files are no longer distinct between the x86 and amd64 releases, so it's now a single, properly agnostic package.)
TheAsterisk! wrote:I'll be back to update the thread soon!
I have a very flexible definition of "soon", apparently!

step

#144 Post by step »

Thanks for these packages! Unfortunately I can't download from your site:
$ wget http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/Pu ... 6.sfs4.sfs
--08:35:38-- http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/Pu ... 6.sfs4.sfs => `virtualbox-4.2.6-86.sfs4.sfs'
Resolving www.silverdollarsolutions.com... 68.180.151.75
Connecting to www.silverdollarsolutions.com|68.180.151.75|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
08:35:42 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

CatDude

#145 Post by CatDude »

Hello step
step wrote:Thanks for these packages! Unfortunately I can't download from your site:
$ wget http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/Pu ... 6.sfs4.sfs
--08:35:38-- http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/Pu ... 6.sfs4.sfs => `virtualbox-4.2.6-86.sfs4.sfs'
Resolving www.silverdollarsolutions.com... 68.180.151.75
Connecting to www.silverdollarsolutions.com|68.180.151.75|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
08:35:42 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
So use the first link Guide, by VirtualBox release version
instead of the Mirror link
and you will find that it is working: http://www.theasterisk.tk/repository/VirtualBox/4.2.6/virtualbox-4.2.6-x86.sfs4.sfs

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

step

#146 Post by step »

CatDude wrote: So use the first link Guide, by VirtualBox release version
and you will find that it is working: http://www.theasterisk.tk/repository/VirtualBox/4.2.6/virtualbox-4.2.6-x86.sfs4.sfs
Thanks CatDude, got it now!

The source of my confusion was that I didn't start browsing from the links in the first post. Instead I started browsing the mirror site, which I landed onto from another thread. So I wasn't aware that silverdollarsolutions.com is a mirror of theasterisk.tk, and since most other download links on the mirror site do work - bar the one I reported - I came back to this forum post to look for help.

To add to the confusion even more, there's http://theasterisk.droppages.com/ which looks very similar to theasterisk.tk - but isn't quite the same.

TheAsterisk!

#147 Post by TheAsterisk! »

VirtualBox 4.2.8 packages forthcoming! Just have to make some for the 64-bit Puppies, then upload the whole litter! I've added support for Wary and Racy 550, as well as for Saluki 023, too.

Come to think of it, I might give a try on that new Quirky release, too. No promises, though. :wink:
step wrote:
CatDude wrote: So use the first link Guide, by VirtualBox release version
Thanks CatDude, got it now!

The source of my confusion was that I didn't start browsing from the links in the first post. Instead I started browsing the mirror site, which I landed onto from another thread. So I wasn't aware that silverdollarsolutions.com is a mirror of theasterisk.tk, and since most other download links on the mirror site do work - bar the one I reported - I came back to this forum post to look for help.

To add to the confusion even more, there's http://theasterisk.droppages.com/ which looks very similar to theasterisk.tk - but isn't quite the same.
Yeah, my hosting has been a mess for the last few months. I finally went to paid hosting- like I should have done so very long ago- and things have been pretty good since. The issue in question (see above) may actually have been that the server SilverDollarSolutions.com uses doesn't let anyone download SFS files for some odd reason, so I have to zip them, and I may simply have forgotten to do that before. Sorry!

Anyway, I'm still in the process of fully uploading a mirror of my packages to my new host. My Internet connection at the moment is either the WiFi at work or at one of several fast food places or a diner, so it's been very slow progress at times.

As for Droppages.com- the darn thing would go weeks without updating itself as it was supposed to, so I just canned that, but I couldn't get the service to stop hosting my site for a while, even though I had been dropped from their service. As of a couple of weeks ago, though, "theasterisk.droppages.com" ceased to be. http://www.theasterisk.tk is it- just check the website button associated with my account on these forums if in doubt!

drblock2

Slacko 5.5

#148 Post by drblock2 »

Just downloaded and installed Slacko 5.5 with the 3.2.33 kernel. The virtualbox-x86_src.install.pet (with devx and kernel sources installed) worked magnificently.

Three more cheers for The Asterix!

Fabio T

Re: VirtualBox for many Puppies

#149 Post by Fabio T »

Hi, I want to create a .sfs package of Virtualbox 4.2.12.

It seems difficult to compile source code from Virtualbox source download (./configure complains that lacks Open Watcom module).

Can You tell me what can I do to make it?

I've tried with .deb package, it works but I want to load it as a .sfs.

It is the correct way?

Thank You

TheAsterisk! wrote:Latest 4-series release: 4.2.6
Latest 3-series release: 3.2.14

My Packages:
Guide, by VirtualBox release version
Mirror

Alternate VirtualBox Packages:
shinobar's VirtualBox 4.2.2 SFS module

My packages are mainly dot-pets, but there is a combined SFS4 module available for several 32-bit Puppy releases as well. (Most Precise, Slacko, and Lucid releases are supported, as well as Puppy 431 and the most recent releases of Quirky, Wary and Racy.)

rasul

it worked also on Upup Raring 3.8.4.2

#150 Post by rasul »

TheAsterisk!
Thanks, your package also worked on Upup Raring 3.8.4.2 with the src version.

rasul

audio not working in the guest OS ....

#151 Post by rasul »

VirualBox gives the following warning when it starts and has no sound as a consequence:

"No audio device could be opened. Selecting the NULL audio backend with the consequence that no sound is audible. Error ID: HostAudioNotResponding".

Any idea how to have sound in my guest Windows XP?

PS. My Upup Raring has sound and it plays nicely all my audio and video files, so there is no sound problem in the host. Only to mention.

TheAsterisk!

Re: VirtualBox for many Puppies

#152 Post by TheAsterisk! »

UPDATED to release 4.2.12.
Finally! Got my mirrors working again!

Fabio T wrote:Hi, I want to create a .sfs package of Virtualbox 4.2.12.
Can You tell me what can I do to make it?
I already have an SFS available for specific Puppy versions. It's linked in my guide.

Otherwise, you can extract the base, DEV and NLS dot-pets (rename them from *.pet to *.tar.gz to extract them), and the same goes for any of the vboxdrv* packages. (If you use the generic, source-based installer, you'll need to copy over the vboxdrv modules from "/lib/modules/[kernel_version]/misc" as well.)

It should be the same as any other SFS creation at that point. Make a directory with the package name- I use "virtualbox-[version]-[achitecture]". Combine the packages (and/or the vboxdrv modules from your own Puppy, if I don't have a package for those), keeping them in the same relative tree as they would be in the other packages or as installed, and run the command

Code: Select all

dir2sfs [your_package_name_here]
It may take a little while or be done in a snap, depending on your hardware, but that should make the SFS file for you, if you really want to do it yourself.

By the way, if this feature- call it 'source-install to SFS'- would be helpful to other people, let me know. My scripting skills are merely capable, but I can always give it a shot and try to implement it, or find help from someone who can do better. On the same note, if anyone has any ideas to add, please do!
rasul wrote:TheAsterisk!
Thanks, your package also worked on Upup Raring 3.8.4.2 with the src version.
VirualBox gives the following warning when it starts and has no sound as a consequence:

"No audio device could be opened. Selecting the NULL audio backend with the consequence that no sound is audible. Error ID: HostAudioNotResponding".

Any idea how to have sound in my guest Windows XP?

PS. My Upup Raring has sound and it plays nicely all my audio and video files, so there is no sound problem in the host. Only to mention.
Is this issue on Upup Raring 3.8.4.2? Hmm... Something similar happened with Lucid Puppy, versions 510-528. As I recall, it's an issue introduced from Ubuntu via Woof, though it may not actually be an issue in Ubuntu itself.

My first idea would be to try taking some of the same steps that I had recommended for the same issue in Lucid Puppy. (See here.) Try those workarounds, please, which will give your guest OS audio, though sometimes at the expense of the host (Puppy) audio. Let me know if it has any effect, please.

Otherwise, unless you require bleeding-edge features or PCI pass-through, you could always try the 3.2.14 release, too. It didn't have the audio issues that v4 did back in Lucid.

rasul

#153 Post by rasul »

Actually currently I am on Upup Raring 3.8.7 but as far as my memory could help I had the same issue also on Upup Raring 3.8.4.2 . But I followed you suggestions and changed the host audio driver in VB's setting for my Guest OS to PulseAsuio and OSS and both made my Guest OS having audio perfectly, although as you already know at the cost of temporarily losing audio in the Host OS, but never mind, when I am in the guest I am there and very rarely may I need simultaneous audio also in host. Good if it will be fixed but anyway at least now I can hear the audio of the apps that I have windows only for working with them!

Warm thanks for your kind answer :D

Oh, meanwhile, I also installed pulseaudio but it didn't make any success in having simultaneous audio in host and guest.

Also if I decide to use the 3 series versions of VB, would I lose the USB and folder sharing capabilities? ( although I could not set up a folder sharing yet, at least the way I was doing so in other distros ;( )

James186282

#154 Post by James186282 »

I hate asking for help so much but I've spent a couple days (nights) on this and I'm starting to loose it. Its probably an "operator error" also known in the Air Force as a "Short circuit between the headphones"

I've installed all the proper pets for Slacko 5.5 and I have devx, linux header files etc. The VirtualBox gui comes up ok but when I try to create a Virtual Machine the "Type" entry is blank. Scrolling up and down doesn't show any options for file format. I had tried using an old .sfs version first so I figured I had some kind of messed up system.

So I tried to run the setup script
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
For the most part it seems to work. I see
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done
Removing old VirtualBox pci, netadp, netflt, kernel module(s) ...done
Then its tells me
modprobe: invalid option -- 'l'
Starting VirtualBox kernel modeules ...done.

I think this is line #163 in the rc.vboxdrv
if [ "$(modprobe -l vboxdrv)" = "" ]; then

This looks totally kosher to me so I tried
modprobe - l to list my modules and got the same invalid option error.
modprobe -V tells me its Version 9
modprobe --list) and get the same error.

This seems very odd. Can anyone thump me over the head and tell me what I'm doing "rong"
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#155 Post by James186282 »

Sooo... in slacko 5.5 kmod replaces modprobe. Thus its not operating exactly the same.

Which explains the inability to -l LIST modules. It also explains the Version 9 which seemed like such a huge jump from the 2. something in previous puppies.

I don't want to volunteer but I wonder why kmod doesn't process the same setting that modprobe does? I understand modprobe is no longer being worked on. But here is a general question. I "get" working on things to fix bugs. I get the desire to add features. I also get the desire to make small systems so things like busybox might be a dual improvement. Whats wrong with leaving well written (Bug free) programs alone? One reason I dislike windows is the bloat and chronic updates that almost never fix bugs but make them backward compatable features.

This will probably nuke my installation but I wonder if adding back all the modprobe utils (and leaving kmod where it is) is smart? ie it won't blow up the system.

modprobe: invalid option -- 'l'
Starting VirtualBox kernel modeules ...done.

I think this is line #163 in the rc.vboxdrv
if [ "$(modprobe -l vboxdrv)" = "" ]; then

I haven't made a lot of progress but I started a fresh install of Slacko 5.5 and am trying to compile source directly from Oracle. But if you hear faint cursing in the distance thats probably me.

I've had some luck compiling things and having them work but they always seem to older X programs or CLI type programs like Kismit. Is there anyone doing a system with minimal abstraction layers. Like an X only (No GTK QT Cairo layer) super tiny puppy?
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

tiangeng

how to install virtualbox for precisepuppy5.7.1?

#156 Post by tiangeng »

PrecisePuppy5.7.1,kenel is 3.9.11

shinobar

virtualbox-4.2.18-1.sfs

#157 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.2.18-1.sfs(updated on 2013-10-08) for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy and Slacko-5.6.
Available from http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Wary-511, Lucid, Precise-5.5/5.6.1/5.7.1, and Slacko-5.6.
As for the Puppy-4.3.1, need to install SDL.
For other kernels, you need devx and kernel source packages to build the kernel modules.
Type 'virtualbox' on a terminal after loaded the virtualbox-xxx.sfs.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

virtualbox-4.3.sfs

#158 Post by shinobar »

(UPDATE: 23-Oct-2013)
virtualbox-4.3-1.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy, Slacko-5.6 and more.
Available from http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Wary-511, Lucid, Precise-5.5/5.6.1/5.7.1, and Slacko-5.6.
Built-in kernel versions:
3.9.9-upup
For other kernels, you need devx and kernel source packages to build the kernel modules.

As for the Puppy-4.3.1, need to install SDL.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... 3-i386.pet

See the detail:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 32&start=4
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

umair

#159 Post by umair »

hello every one:
I managed to run vbox in Carolina 1. but I when I created the VM. I am facing the following problem. Anybody have an idea about that ?
Thnx in advance.

umair

#160 Post by umair »

umair wrote:hello every one:
I managed to run vbox in Carolina 1. but I when I created the VM. I am facing the following problem. Anybody have an idea about that ?
Thnx in advance.
Hi Guys. I managed to install and run virtual box in Carolina.
I downloaded the vbox.sfs from carolina repos. Also downloaded the devx file. loaded the sfs file. this time, everything works fine. Posting the screenshot. However, I want to share some folders with my main OS (Carolina). I am unable to use it using NAT Network. When I select bridged Adapter, I encountered the following problem. Any suggestions ?
Thaks in Advance.
UMAIR
Attachments
Screenshot-11.jpg
(58.49 KiB) Downloaded 2083 times
Last edited by umair on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 06:38, edited 2 times in total.