Problems remastering and saving file to DVD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Rope

Problems remastering and saving file to DVD

#1 Post by Rope »

Hello, I tried to make a bootable CD but failed.

I burned Puppy Slacko 450 in a DVD, then used remaster Puppy Live CD.

The result is that it does not have a savefile.

Also, when I run the DVD on another computer I selected to save a file to CD but it failed. I get this screen which I don't know how to interpret:

Anyone can tell me if it is possible to record the savefile on DVD?.

Also how to get the savefile on remastering?

Can I put the savefile in a pendrive, boot from the DVD and read the savefile from the pendrive?

Thanks
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, Rope.

The way Puppy is structured, you cannot save its savefile to cd or dvd.

I don't want to get technical, but

if, on first exit, you ask a Puppy to save to cd, it will burn additional sectors under today's date and time as a folder name and save the session in that folder on the CD. One of the features of this save, is that the saved files are clearly visible from the outside of Puppy.

I you choose to save your session on a HD or a thumb drive, it creates a squash file on that disk and saves your session in it. The difference here is that you have to be in a Puppy to see what the squash file contains.

Of course you can put a squash file in a ISO and burn the iso on the cd. But saving to a squash file on a CD in real time is impossible, you'd need UDF format for that.

In Puppy, it has been decided that you cannot mix the two procedures.

I hope I have not been too technical, but it was just to explain "why a fish doesn't grow horns and a cow doesn't have fins." Two very different procedures on two very different media.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Rope, I'm confused about what it is you're trying to accomplish. When you save to the DVD the first time you shut Puppy down, that turns the DVD into a multisession Puppy. Thereafter, it remains a multisession Puppy which means it saves onto the DVD all the settings you've changed and the programs you've installed, but only if you tell it to.

So far so good. Multisession Puppy is the practical equivalent of remastering. This is what confuses me. You don't need to remaster if you're going to use Puppy from a multisession DVD or CD. Just go ahead and make the changes you want, then save them on the multisession DVD. Every time you boot the DVD thereafter, Puppy will be as it was the last time you saved.

Rope

#4 Post by Rope »

Thanks all. I will try to clarify:

I burned an ISO and then remastered and the remastering did not put the savefile in the DVD.

How do I Remaster Puppy live CD so as I get the savefile included? There must be something I did wrong.

I used the DVD and tried to save the config to the DVD but failed, I get the screen I put above.

It seems this does not work.

What about putting the savefile in a pendrive and boot from the DVD. Will it read the savefile?
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

R-S-H

#5 Post by R-S-H »

Usually you'll get a message at remastering, at a stage where you can "add files to the iso" - this the the point for you, to put files into the directory containing the new remastered puppy files. After you have added the files to the iso directory, just continue remastering. Everything should be then on cd/dvd after burnig this iso - but a save file surely will not work ---> because of "SAVE"... - I think...
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

Rope

#6 Post by Rope »

R-S-H wrote:Usually you'll get a message at remastering, at a stage where you can "add files to the iso" - this the the point for you, to put files into the directory containing the new remastered puppy files. After you have added the files to the iso directory, just continue remastering. Everything should be then on cd/dvd after burnig this iso - but a save file surely will not work ---> because of "SAVE"... - I think...
Thanks. Which are the directories I should look into to copy the programs I installed? /root? Maybe I can copu/paste the whole directory?

Also, I copied the Firefox folder but I did not get the plugins. There is nothing in the original /root/.mozilla/extensions
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Ted Dog

Machine prepped remaster

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

Rope, You hit upon my preferred way of using Puppy, Download new iso, collection of pets and sfs I really must have included. Burn iso into re-writable DVD, practice changing this or that, patch my host file, load all the browser add-ons and then remake the sfs and reburn on final DVD.
I then reuse same basic resulting sfs setup on DVD's each geared to what ever project I'm working on. Fill up those DVD with multisession .

Instead of going into the whole official remaster process, I do it all in RAM and construct sfs from a live system and reburn. If you have slightly over the size of RAM that the original sfs its a fast system.

Will post my sloppy remaster methods next post.
[/code]

Rope

Re: Machine prepped remaster

#8 Post by Rope »

Ted Dog wrote: Will post my sloppy remaster methods next post.
[/code]
Please do, thanks.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Ted Dog

sloppy no questions asked remaster a running system

#9 Post by Ted Dog »

Code: Select all

----------------------------------START LINE -----------------------
#!/bin/sh
#simple script to remaster the sfs
#create new puppy.sfs file show results in a popup window
squash() {
	echo $0 $@
	rxvt -bg orange -fg black -title "$m_01" -geometry 80x6 -e mksquashfs $@
}
WKGMNTPT="/tmp"
rm -rf $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild #precaution
mkdir $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild

. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
[ "$PUP_LAYER" = "" ] && PUP_LAYER="/pup_ro2"

. /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
KERNELVER="`uname -r`"

PUPPYSFS="$DISTRO_PUPPYSFS" #ex: puppy.sfs
SFSBASE="`basename $PUPPYSFS .sfs`" #ex: puppy

rm -f /etc/.XLOADED
rm -f ${WKGMNTPT}/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS 2> /dev/null

rm -f /etc/modules/firmware.dep.inst.*
touch /etc/personal_settings_popup_disabled
touch /etc/personal_data_save_disabled

ANOTHER_REMOVE="/lib/modules/$KERNELVER/initrd /lib/modules/*/modules.*"	# 28dec09 modules.*

DIRHOME=""
[ -d /home ] && DIRHOME="/home"
[ -d /sys ] && DIRSYS="/sys"
[ -d /lost+found ] && DIRLOST="/lost+found"
rm -f ${WKGMNTPT}/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS 2> /dev/null
[ -d /dev/snd ] && [ "`ls /dev/snd`" != "" ] && DIRDEVSNDFILES="/dev/snd/*" #120721
[ -d /dev/.udev ] && DIRDEVUDEV="/dev/.udev"
[ -f /usr/sbin/slmodemd ] && SLDAEMON="/usr/sbin/slmodemd"
[ -f /usr/sbin/martian_modem ] && MDAEMON="/usr/sbin/martian_modem"
[ -f /usr/bin/mwavem ] && MWDAEMON="/usr/bin/mwavem /usr/share/mwavem"
[ -f /usr/sbin/hamregistry ] && HAMREG="/usr/sbin/hamregistry"
[ -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache ] && ICONCACHE=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache #120721

sync

squash / $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -e /sys /proc /initrd /tmp /archive /mnt /puppylivecdbuild $ANOTHER_REMOVE $DIRHOME $DIRSYS $DIRLOST /$PUPPYSFS $DIRDEVSNDFILES $DIRDEVUDEV $SLDAEMON $MDAEMON $MWDAEMON $HAMREG $ICONCACHE #120605 end #120721 avoid wildecards option, icon-theme.cache

#add pristine folders (out of current puppy.sfs)...
mksquashfs /initrd${PUP_LAYER}/proc $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS -keep-as-directory
sync
mksquashfs /initrd${PUP_LAYER}/tmp $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS -keep-as-directory
sync
mksquashfs /initrd${PUP_LAYER}/mnt $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS -keep-as-directory
sync

[ -f $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS ] && echo -n "$IDSTRING" >> $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS
rox $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild &
-------------------------------------------------------------------END LINE ----
Get puppy the way you like, and close all programs and active processes (just basic hands off, do not start new stuff, not the time to multi-task) You are snapping shotting an active system.

and click above code as script, not require to be any place, nor start in terminal, nor ask any questions.

A box will appear for first 95% of the time showing bulk build progress , disappear breifly and reappear as a folder showing the resulting sfs file, read to be copied where ever.

Rope

#10 Post by Rope »

Thanks. How do you run the script? Do you create a file script.sh? Where, in /bin/?
Do you put the result sfs in the CD with the other iso files?
What about the savefile?
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Ted Dog

Sloppy remaster part 2

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

Cut and paste script into a textfile, save whatevernameyoulike.sh is not needed mine is called.

mainsfsremake

no .sh used (the first line of text tells the rest of world its a script)
if you click on it and its not set for execute rox will ask if you want it to be answer y and your set to click again.

Since it does not require being run from a terminal, just a mouse click on the file works, The file can be located anywhere, mine is on a usb drive with fat32. All work is done in /tmp

(usb mounts are not captured via snapshot sfs)

Now with the redone sfs you have a few options
frugal install just locate boot directory and copy new sfs file over same named sfs,
DVD
fresh DVD copy all files into a directory in /tmp and overwrite sfs with the new improved one. use bBurn tool with boot option checked.
(or use my sloppy two line script file, copied into same directory. again a future post.... sorry need to find a non-UDF, non-hybrid UDF/ISO script, nor BluRay script)

I haven't built a normal DVD in months, been trying to debug getting multisession working for BluRay...

There is one strange issue, and Rope you may have stumbled on it re-mastering using the official method, that I noticed with my above sloppy remaster, I thought BarryK 'fixed' in the true method.
If you start a savefile, a file flag is set forcing puppy to expect a savefile forevermore, Since my sloppy methods just takes everything it see, the savefile flag is set as well. The way I get around that is to force a multisession or copy a blank directory using the same format a directory found in multisession. Those get loaded before the flag for savefile is checked.

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

Savefile is just an overlay of changed or added files, when you remaster none of the extra unused space is used, Also changed files are fixed in the new remaster, and all the extra stuff added is compressed, a 512M savefile will never result in a 512M sfs file. Typically a customized remaster will only be a few M larger, and in some cases my sloppy remaster will actually be smaller due to the extreme compression (much slower, but run in RAM, not that much) But if you added much and the Megs added is far less than the sum of the pets or sfs added that would be a problem.
If You really wanted to save your savefile, boot puppy with

puppy pfix=ram

locate and copy savefile into directory /archive choose save to DVD option on shutdown or better force a multisession burn using icon on desktop.

the /archive is special in that it will be saved in a multisession but NOT reloaded next use. Very helpful for large sized files that you just wish to store on disc but not reloaded into RAM each time.

I'm sorry if I'm not as good a typer today, I swear the soda I got is not diet and my body is not used to a sugar rush... Please forgive typos and poor language skills today, hope its not a stroke..

Rope

#13 Post by Rope »

I tried to copy the sfs (the script worked) to the DVD I made before but I get an error

'/mnt/sr0/puppy_slacko_5.4.sfs' already exists - overwrite? Yes
ERROR: Read-only file system

I don know why it says it is read only if I did not close session when I burn the DVD.

Should I burn another iso and then copy the sfs file? Sorry to ask so much questions.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Ted Dog

#14 Post by Ted Dog »

Skipped two steps, but you reminded me of something I wanted to add to multisession to more directly do that years ago, I got around that issue using re-writable DVDs.
I'll re-add finding a way to allow changed major puppy elements without having to use a new DVD back to my to-do-list

But do not hold your breath I'm neck deep in one final sticky point getting full multisession support in UDF/BluRay. Oh so close....

You need to copy all files off DVD into a folder in the main working section of puppy like /root /spot or best /tmp.

After that, copy, the new sfs over the other older file copied with the rest of the DVD. <again sorry sugar high, if that is confusing>

Use that folder in pBurn to burn a new DVD. or wait a few until I can find the simple script to easily burn new DVD from the folder it is included in.

Ted Dog

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

Recommended rw-dvd brands
imation DVD-RW (longest lasting one I still use since 2007)
Verbatim also good long lasting but color versions burn slower, and hard to tell if damaged visually

Not recommend Sony branded RW
Sony works great new (fastest burn) but in storage they seem to self destruct (2+ years). bits lost without visual damage.

You will not need many DVD-RW but they make playing with puppylinux multisession less expensive, until you learn the new fangled tricks.

Rope

#16 Post by Rope »

Ok thanks. I don know why if I left seesion open I cant edit it. maybe low quality.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

Once written to normal DVD it can't be undone, just ignored and not reloaded if same file exists in the newest directory, but its still there which is great if you really have need to recover a file that you overwritten, or changed.
for example I use a friends wifi with a password, later a different friends wifi and pass. I multisession save changes between trips locking those setup files into sessions via a DVD. Same DVD but different friends 'borrowed' computer.
Go back to first wifi friends house, copy network files from that date directory into active RAM area and wallah no need to retype or ask for password.

Ted Dog

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=6

Here is a link for the subforum dealing with multisession, covers many ways of using multisession with puppylinux.

Multisession saveback with a live bootable CD/DVD and hopefully soon BluRay is unique to puppylinux, and takes a different look on how to expand hardware usage.

Once you get over the learning hump, multisession will appear as a simple no brainer, why doesn't other liveDistros and/or M$ Windows steal the concept & methods, continually floors me. <that over 7 years of being floored>

I most likely posted the simple burn script sometime in the past in that subform. But I will follow up here until I post the burn script, then lets move to a new thread over there.

Ted Dog

sloppy reburn script

#19 Post by Ted Dog »

Code: Select all

------ START LINE for file called reburn ---- 
#!/bin/sh
growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -R -D -quiet -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ./
eject /dev/sr0
---- END LINE
save as script in same folder as the rest of the main puppy files and either click from there, or open terminal program into the same directory and run like ./reburn

reburn script MUST be in same folder as main puppy files and MUST be started there if run from terminal.

I generally run 'reburn' script from terminal so I can read the msgs being kicked out by the growisofs command, there is a lot of lag time before burning starts if you click on script stuff does not occur for several seconds.

Rope

#20 Post by Rope »

In Pburn what should I select? Burn ISO or copy data?

I put all the files from the old remastered DVD with the new sfs in a directory and selected that directory in "select data from here" I guess I have to select those file to the other column "burn content of this list" Except pburn_symlink_tree right?
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal