HP laptop heats up when running Puppy 5.2.8 [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

HP laptop heats up when running Puppy 5.2.8 [SOLVED]

#1 Post by rmcellig »

Every time I run Puppy Linux on my HP laptop dv 2000 Pavillion from the CD or from a Frugal install, my laptop heats up and shuts off. I have Lubuntu 12.04 installed on this laptop and it runs fine. The computer never gets hot like it does when running Puppy.

Any idea what is going on and how I can solve this problem?
Last edited by rmcellig on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

Have you ran/installed the CPU Frequency Scaling Tool from System- System Status and Configure in the menu?
I always set that up as one of the first things I do and it works fine in keeping my laptop cool.
Adversely if I boot to Windows 7 on the laptop or Windows Vista on my desktop, the cooling fan, seems to run a lot and with the laptop, I can feel the heat radiating out of it.

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

I never used the CPU scaling tool before. I will check it out, and see what happens. Thanks!!

Ted Dog

laptop heating issues

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

I've noticed its seems to be getting worse (laptops running hot, not sleeping with lid down etc) also sleep and halt no longer work. Laptop support used to be a strong point a year or two ago for puppy. With running from RAM I could go an entire weekend on my netbook just closing the lid caused puppylinux go into deep sleep lasting for days and days, open the lid and since already running in RAM it would be instantly there.
If you are running puppy fully from RAM try HDparm to turn off HD.

ally

#5 Post by ally »

hey rm

I had the same trouble on my sons acer

it has switchable graphics which only worked in windows, a quicks google shows intel/nvidia graphics so may be a similar issue?

check the bios and see if there is anything weird graphics wise, as well as cpu scaling look at loading the nvidia graphics driver which may help too

:)

Hogweed

#6 Post by Hogweed »

As a general point, a laptop should not really shutdown due to overheating even if it is running flat out. I'd think of checking the fan and air pathways even if you can get it to run more efficiently. Also, even without dynamic downclocking, the cpu should be in a relatively low power mode when in the idle loop. Does your system overheat to the point of shutting down even when idle or only under load?

If you smoke or have cats or dogs (hairs get everywhere) then the fan is especially likely to be clogged.

rmcellig

#7 Post by rmcellig »

I don't smoke. I am able to run Lubuntu with no problems. The computer is barely warm. It seems to be when I run puppy linux. I have a couple of cats but hair isn't an issue when it comes to the computers. When I run the CPU tool mentioned previously, do I just select one of the items from the list and click on apply? Is anything else supposed to happen?

I will try the Nvidia option and see what happens.

8-bit

#8 Post by 8-bit »

When selecting the driver to use, I have an AMD processor and selected the power now k8 driver.
You select the driver that corresponds to your processor type.

rmcellig

#9 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks 8-bit! I'll see how it goes. Right now I am doing some audio work running Lubuntu 12.04. After I finish, I will try Puppy again. Really hope it all works because for me Puppy is special. I might even try out the new Puppy Wary 5.5 and see how that pup does in relation to overheating.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Pantz.org offers CPU descriptions. Should make choosing the right module a breeze..

rmcellig

#11 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks Semme! That's timely.

mini-jaguar

#12 Post by mini-jaguar »

I've recommended this before, but install pemasu's laptop-acpi-battery-tools...pet

It'll put another battery meter on the taskbar, but one which works better and you get 3 modes of operation. And no more overheating.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/

Adagio

#13 Post by Adagio »

Indeed it does work very well.

rmcellig

#14 Post by rmcellig »

Looks like I finally solved my overheating problem by selecting one of the options in the CPU scaling tool. So far so good. Laptop is running 24hr/day with no shutdowns (fingers crossed) :).

Thanks again for all of the help!!!

jrw46

HP Laptop Heating up with Puppy 528

#15 Post by jrw46 »

HI Guys, You'll won't have trouble finding my posts, my questions are usually kind of simple.

I stopped by here hoping to find a reason why my laptop gets so hot running puppy... I read though the posts in this section but I got to tell you, you guys are way over my head... The only thing I know about fans is that they blow air. More when its hot and a little less as things cool off. I know I need to read more on what the scaling tool is all about and how does it come into play with the heat... I can hear the fan running seems full on steady, however when I am using winds7 the fan changes speeds. In puppy it seems to be on all the time, the bottom of the laptop keeps getting hotter and hotter.. Any Ideas?

I want you all to know that I'm a first time user of puppy. I have it installed along side of the windows in both of my computers. one is HP windows 7 the other older one is Compac winXP...

Thanks in advance for any insite.

Jim

ally

#16 Post by ally »

hey jim

the frequency scaling throttles the processor, normally set to 'ondemand' it reduces the speed of the processor (and the amount of power it uses) depending on the workload

this makes the battery last longer and also lowers the heat the laptop produces

HTH

:)

jrw46

heat, normal or not

#17 Post by jrw46 »

John, Ally, HTH

Thanks for the detail about processor scaling. May I ask for a comment, Do you have any thoughts as to why my laptop gets hotter when P uppy is running but not so hot when Win7 is running. Also the fan is louder while puppy is running. I'm assuming the level of fan noise is a result of fan speed.

I also notice the fan changes speeds with Win7 but when puppy is running the fan seems to run at a constant speed and noise.

Jim