• Google Chrome 24.0.1312.56
    iw
    Aircrack-ng
    wifite script
Bug Fixes
  • Text color in Rox being white instead of black by default
Other Changes
  • Added Pmount to main menu
Please report any bugs or questions here. Thank you :)
Last edited by sheepy on Tue 26 Mar 2013, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

nice work, added to wiki :twisted:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Slimpup

sheepy

#3 Post by sheepy »

Thanks, darkcity! ^__^

toomanyquestions

#4 Post by toomanyquestions »

Good work!

roadkill13

#5 Post by roadkill13 »

Great job sheepy!

gnomic

md5sum please

#6 Post by gnomic »

Hi there, having some download hell here, first pass an obviously truncated d/l, second has resulted in a file of 410 MB but then one never quite knows what kinds of MB were those - haven't been able to see an md5sum on sourceforge. So perhaps an md5sum at the top of this topic please? Just to help me on my journey thru life as this is making me a bit grumpy. Apologies if I have missed this info somewhere obvious.

sheepy

Re: md5sum please

#7 Post by sheepy »

toomanyquestions wrote:Good work!
roadkill13 wrote:Great job sheepy!
Thanks, guys! :D
gnomic wrote:Hi there, having some download hell here, first pass an obviously truncated d/l, second has resulted in a file of 410 MB but then one never quite knows what kinds of MB were those - haven't been able to see an md5sum on sourceforge. So perhaps an md5sum at the top of this topic please? Just to help me on my journey thru life as this is making me a bit grumpy. Apologies if I have missed this info somewhere obvious.
Hi, gnomic! Thank you for this question, as SourceForge does always misrepresent the filesize for some strange reason.
I believe this is the MD5:
9b41336c9c76af2b5d2af30669f472e9 SlimPup_3.8.iso

sullysat

#8 Post by sullysat »

Hi Sheepy,

I just stumbled on this one and thought I'd check it out. Looks pretty good in a VB with 256MB of RAM allocated so far, as long as I don't try to multitask. I had Chrome open when I opened System Info and everything locked up. Not surpising. Runs sweet so far at 512.

I do have a couple of questions:

I'm curious, just because I'm like that, why you chose to include Gimp in a "slim" distro. Not that I don't like Gimp, I'm just trying to make the connection.

What sort of hardware do you see this running on? - After poking around a bit, I see that it's based off of Lucid, which (to me) is a fairly recent base Pup.

When I look at Puplets, or derivatives, or whatever you want to call them, I'm interested in what they offer, and how, that the base Puppy doesn't and what systems I can run it on.

Turning old "obsolete" hardware in to useable computers again is a (sometimes) passion of mine and Puppy has become my distro of choice for most of the low end hardware I see (Early PIII, under 512MB RAM, and older).

Anything above those specs, depending on the purpose the machine will have, I tend to use distros with more streamlined repos and automatic updates. Needless to say, I use Puppy quite a bit so knowing where different distros "fit" for my needs is important.

I'll play with this some more and if you want me to mirror it on my Puppy page so there's an alternative to Sourceforge, just pm me.

Cheers,
Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

sheepy

#9 Post by sheepy »

sullysat wrote:Hi Sheepy,

I just stumbled on this one and thought I'd check it out. Looks pretty good in a VB with 256MB of RAM allocated so far, as long as I don't try to multitask. I had Chrome open when I opened System Info and everything locked up. Not surpising. Runs sweet so far at 512.

I do have a couple of questions:

I'm curious, just because I'm like that, why you chose to include Gimp in a "slim" distro. Not that I don't like Gimp, I'm just trying to make the connection.

What sort of hardware do you see this running on? - After poking around a bit, I see that it's based off of Lucid, which (to me) is a fairly recent base Pup.

When I look at Puplets, or derivatives, or whatever you want to call them, I'm interested in what they offer, and how, that the base Puppy doesn't and what systems I can run it on.

Turning old "obsolete" hardware in to useable computers again is a (sometimes) passion of mine and Puppy has become my distro of choice for most of the low end hardware I see (Early PIII, under 512MB RAM, and older).

Anything above those specs, depending on the purpose the machine will have, I tend to use distros with more streamlined repos and automatic updates. Needless to say, I use Puppy quite a bit so knowing where different distros "fit" for my needs is important.

I'll play with this some more and if you want me to mirror it on my Puppy page so there's an alternative to Sourceforge, just pm me.

Cheers,
Sully
Hi, sullysat, thanks for the questions!
I include GIMP in this "slim" distro because one of the main focuses of this puplet is to be fully-functional and well-equipped right out of the box. In my opinion, GIMP is the most feature-rich and powerful bitmap editor for Linux, and can actually stand up to commercial software like Photoshop pretty okay.

I get this question a lot. xD I see it running on anything anywhere from that old celeron in the closet up to the new i5 in the Out house. I have some 10-year-old laptops I run slimpup on and it actually makes them worth using! And of course I use it on my main machine. I see it as a distro for anyone who wants to do anything that 95% of people will want to do on a computer. The only machines that I imagine wouldn't be suited to run slimpup are the really old machines and ultra new ones purchased specifically for things that require proprietary Windows software.

What this has to offer that the base does not is a well-chosen selection of programs to make the distro fully-armed right out of the box. The menu is also very concise and pretty. Oh, and it looks cool and stylish compared to the base. :) (not that I don't like the base, of course!)

sullysat

#10 Post by sullysat »

Thanks Sheepy, it is a good looking distro. I like Gimp a lot... was just surprise to see it there.

Looking forward to playing with it some more. Thanks!
Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

oldyeller

#11 Post by oldyeller »

Hi Sheepy,

Just now downloaded it and will give it a spin

Cheers

Tote

#12 Post by Tote »

Hello Sheepy, just a quick thank you and congratulations for this distro; everything you need and not too much more besides.

I tried it once before but couldn't get it to run well on my old laptop, now I have a slightly newer one I 'discovered' it again yesterday afternoon and I've been using/experimenting/exploring ever since.

One of the nicest pups I've ever used. Where do you get your wallpaper, do you create it yourself? It's the perfect complement to the stripped down desktop.

Really enjoying this unexpected treat.

Thanks again.

sheepy

#13 Post by sheepy »

Tote wrote:Hello Sheepy, just a quick thank you and congratulations for this distro; everything you need and not too much more besides.

I tried it once before but couldn't get it to run well on my old laptop, now I have a slightly newer one I 'discovered' it again yesterday afternoon and I've been using/experimenting/exploring ever since.

One of the nicest pups I've ever used. Where do you get your wallpaper, do you create it yourself? It's the perfect complement to the stripped down desktop.

Really enjoying this unexpected treat.

Thanks again.
Thank you! I appreciate this very much.
I'm not quite sure where I acquired the wallpapers, as I got them many moons ago. :)
Thanks again.

lvds

#14 Post by lvds »

Hi Sheepy,

I have been playing with SlimPup a long time today and it was really fun. I didn't expect to spend so much time :-)
I love the way menus have been organised, it fits well with the openbox concept. I had to change the icon theme because it was not readable for me, I also set a better openbox theme and another conky theme, wallpaper, some rox settings etc... All in all SlimPup is really great but I've found little weird things:

- some software are outdated
- firefox is "prehistoric" :-D maybe v17.0.5 ESR could be a minimum
- I have never been able to display windows titles, that becomes difficult to work when you roll your windows on the desktop :-)
- I could not set the background to a color instead of a picture wallpaper (I didn't like the 3 wallpaper shipped, and I thought let just display a black or anthracite screen)

Do you plan to build another release based on a more recent puppy like v5.5 ?

Congratulations, it's a beautiful work !

Best regards

sheepy

#15 Post by sheepy »

lvds wrote:Hi Sheepy,

I have been playing with SlimPup a long time today and it was really fun. I didn't expect to spend so much time :-)
I love the way menus have been organised, it fits well with the openbox concept. I had to change the icon theme because it was not readable for me, I also set a better openbox theme and another conky theme, wallpaper, some rox settings etc... All in all SlimPup is really great but I've found little weird things:

- some software are outdated
- firefox is "prehistoric" :-D maybe v17.0.5 ESR could be a minimum
- I have never been able to display windows titles, that becomes difficult to work when you roll your windows on the desktop :-)
- I could not set the background to a color instead of a picture wallpaper (I didn't like the 3 wallpaper shipped, and I thought let just display a black or anthracite screen)

Do you plan to build another release based on a more recent puppy like v5.5 ?

Congratulations, it's a beautiful work !

Best regards
Hi, lvds,
Thank you so much for your testing and support!
-Which ones would you suggest updating?
-You're right, Firefox is pretty outdated. It functions pretty well at 4.0, and the update is colossal and would cause the ISO size to go way up. To be honest, I am more of a chrome fan anyway, but I love them both and Firefox just works and updates very easily within the browser if desired. I will consider updating it. Thank you!
-To enable the window labels, open the Openbox theme manager, go to "appearance" on the left, and there you can add or remove parts of the window decoration. Add an "L" for the window labels. Or anything else you would like to add or remove.
-You are correct that you cannot make the wallpaper simply one color. This is a limitation of Nitrogen, unfortunately. Although if you really wanted it black, you could edit a config or two, but that's not very intuitive, now, is it? xP It was originally solid black by default, but people didn't like that very much. I may just add solid-colored wallpapers to the default soon. Thank you for this feedback.

Unfortunately, I do not plan to move up to 5.5. I have grown very attached to 525, hahaha. Maybe someday if 525 ever becomes obsolete. It would be quite a challenge though. You'd be surprised how many specific little libraries or scripts I've placed in there to make everything the way it is.

Thank you! :)

lvds

#16 Post by lvds »

sheepy wrote: Hi, lvds,
Thank you so much for your testing and support!
-Which ones would you suggest updating?
you replied below ... I was thinking at a whole update but somehow you're right, if you like it this way it's a good choice :-)
Embed of the composer was a great idea, that opens a large door to the gaming world, but it also often requires updated drivers so it may be a good idea to release new versions and follow Barry release cycle :-)
sheepy wrote:-You're right, Firefox is pretty outdated. It functions pretty well at 4.0, and the update is colossal and would cause the ISO size to go way up. To be honest, I am more of a chrome fan anyway, but I love them both and Firefox just works and updates very easily within the browser if desired. I will consider updating it. Thank you!
According to your choices, the latest Firefox ESR (long term support) would be the best choice, though I don't recall if it's available somewhere in the depots...
sheepy wrote: -To enable the window labels, open the Openbox theme manager, go to "appearance" on the left, and there you can add or remove parts of the window decoration. Add an "L" for the window labels. Or anything else you would like to add or remove.
yep I found it also a few hours after my post, great feature :-D
sheepy wrote: -You are correct that you cannot make the wallpaper simply one color. This is a limitation of Nitrogen, unfortunately. Although if you really wanted it black, you could edit a config or two, but that's not very intuitive, now, is it? xP It was originally solid black by default, but people didn't like that very much. I may just add solid-colored wallpapers to the default soon. Thank you for this feedback.

Unfortunately, I do not plan to move up to 5.5. I have grown very attached to 525, hahaha. Maybe someday if 525 ever becomes obsolete. It would be quite a challenge though. You'd be surprised how many specific little libraries or scripts I've placed in there to make everything the way it is. Thank you! :)
yes I'm sure ! :shock: ...would be worth to include a large choice of conky scripts and even a great setup tool so we could place nice things on the desktop. I found the widgets maybe a little too much, but some conky scripts would be awesome here and fit perfectly the openbox design ;-) Great work 8)

sheepy

#17 Post by sheepy »

lvds wrote:yes I'm sure ! :shock: ...would be worth to include a large choice of conky scripts and even a great setup tool so we could place nice things on the desktop. I found the widgets maybe a little too much, but some conky scripts would be awesome here and fit perfectly the openbox design ;-) Great work 8)
Actually, if you look at Settings>Appearance, there is a little program I made with yad to change between 5 conky configs I made. :)

vflower

slimpup 3.8

#18 Post by vflower »

A very Great job to include my favourite Google Chrome browser. I really hope that all the other puppy derivatives can do the same, that is, include both Firefox as well as Google Chrome these 2 browsers as the default. You know internet connection and browsing is the most important activities nowadays.

sunsnoel

#19 Post by sunsnoel »

Joined just to say thank you. I really enjoy slimpup. It just works.....

musher0

#20 Post by musher0 »

Hi, sheepy.

I just created a new pet for pekwm-0.16. I'm itching to test it on your slimpup, but would it be heresy to do so? Another way of saying this: would the slimpup structure be "allergic" to another wm, especially a close "cousin" like pekwm?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)