LazY Puppy 2.0.2 Final - a Paradise Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nooby

#541 Post by nooby »

old text that is not true anymore. Teh iso is now
where RSH tells you. Look further down or first post
Last edited by nooby on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

der-schutzhund

update and bugfix for variomenu

#542 Post by der-schutzhund »

R-S-H

LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005 Development finished

#543 Post by R-S-H »

Ok,

all files are again available to download.

All Links are reactivated!

Development of LazY Puppy 2.0.2 is now finished - Build 0.0.5!

I'm still working on LazY Puppy 3 (108 MB ISO), but this one might never been published (if I don't find translators for French and Spanish Languages).

Eyes-Only

#544 Post by Eyes-Only »

I'm glad to see you back RSH and that you are back to developing your LazyPup, etc. You were missed on the forum. I hope that from here on out it will be smooth sailing and that all will go well. Many of us appreciate the work that you do for the Puppy Community - unfortunately we don't express this thanks nearly often enough ( if at all for that matter ) so that development work can oft-times seem to be a very thankless job. Just forge ahead realising that many truly do appreciate your efforts - as well as the efforts of other contributors to Puppy - even if they fail to express that thanks.

Well... I guess this ol' Native American has said more than his two pieces of wampum. lol!

Once again: Good to have you back RSH! 8)

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

greengeek

#545 Post by greengeek »

Thanks RSH - It looks excellent. I have downloaded 202en005 and am trying it live. I was able to connect to my wifi without problems, but when I try to use firefox or seamonkey it attempts to download them, appears to be successful (I can watch the byte count increasing in the console display), then says that it "failed to download them from the web".

Do I need to install first or should this work live too?

R-S-H

#546 Post by R-S-H »

Hi, everyone.

Thank you for all your kind works!
Do I need to install first or should this work live too?
Yes, it is strongly needed to install LazY Puppy either on USB Flash, USB HDD, or internal HDD.

LazY Puppy is different to any other puppies - especially in the case of using it from Live CD.

The downloads are predefined to be stored automatically into the LazY Puppy boot directory (do mount boot partition first). You can do a right-click on a .xcf (GIMP Image), choose to open it with GIMP 2.6.12 and it downloads the GIMP SFS, loads the GIMP SFS, executes the GIMP Application and loads the Image ! ! !

But you can never use the LazY Puppy full featured without to install it on USB Flash, USB HDD or internal HDD!!!

RSH

Edit:

Do mount the CD drive before starting to install LazY Puppy and if you do remaster, mount LazY Puppy boot partition first to remaster and build the iso; it remasters without CD or mounted ISO, just needs to mount the boot partition!

If you do remaster without monted boot partition, it remasters only the xxx.sfs file - NO ISO is made then, though it's not necessary, if the new OS is not renamed at remastering

cthisbear

#547 Post by cthisbear »

Smiley face from me to >>> R-S-H

but don't tell me mum that I'm being nice.

Cheers mate...... Chris.

R-S-H

#548 Post by R-S-H »

cthisbear wrote:Smiley face from me to >>> R-S-H

but don't tell me mum that I'm being nice.

Cheers mate...... Chris.
Thank you very much :) , and don't worry - I'll keep it as a secret! :lol:

vicmz

Re: LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005 Development finished

#549 Post by vicmz »

R-S-H wrote: I'm still working on LazY Puppy 3 (108 MB ISO), but this one might never been published (if I don't find translators for French and Spanish Languages)
I'll do what I can to help. Since many translations aren't too different between Puppies, I can copy and paste what is the same and edit what is different. Unless, of course, that you're planning a new release based on Puppy 5.3 or later, in that case all what is needed is adding to the official Puppy langpack the translations that are unique to LazY PuppY, that's how some derivatives made it to the Hispanic community with some success (Lxpup, Dpup Exprimo, Precise NOP, ToOpPy, Upup Precise). If you're using a Lucid base, rodin.s has gettexted many scripts from Lucid some time ago, you may want to examine them (note that almost all of those scripts share the same TEXDOMAIN, I think it is better to use individual TEXTDOMAINs because one po file for all scripts is problematic in case the file gets corrupted, individual files save time from having to start all over again the translation of thousands of lines). You can also port Momanager to LazY PuppY like sc0ttman did for Akita Linux, if you are interested you can send a PM to him (it is not absolutely necessary to port Momanager, but it makes things a bit easier for translators). Once you setup a translation framework, those who wish to have your derivative in a language that is not available can translate to the new languages by themselves. It is important that the translation framework remains in and the resulting langpack is compatible with future versions, for example users who speak Italian and Portuguese collaborated in translation projects of former versions of Puppy, and then when a new version was released they were disappointed to see that for that unique version they had to start the translation process all over again, that's why currently there isn't much interest in translating Puppy to those languages, even if their specific threads make explicit mention of BarryK's current internationalization framework.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

R-S-H

#550 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

@vicmz

I will reply to your post a little later. First I have to do a

Short Report from the German LazY Puppy Development
The success of about 16 months work

On Fri 25 Jan 2013, LazY Puppy has been installed on 6 Computers at the Realschule Lemgo in Germany. German Forum Member der-schutzhund (like the-security-dog) is a teacher at this school and his intention is to use Puppy Linux as a possible full replacement for Windows. He was trying to do this approximately since the end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011 and has chosen to change from 431-de to LazY Puppy on Thu 29 Mar 2012
nachdem ich nun über ein Jahr versucht habe alle meine Programme mit 431-de zum Laufen zu bringen werde ich auch versuchen auf dein Lazy zu wechseln,
RSH translation wrote:After I've been trying for more than a year to get all my programs to work in 431-de, I will also try to use your LazY Puppy,
This has been the beginning of the development of LazY Puppy 2.0.1 - right after releasing 2.0.0 incl the new Menu-Suite. The beginning of SFS P.L.U.S. and the logically next step of the LazY Puppy main SFS handling from version 5.2.8-4.

On Fri 22 Feb 2013 he submitted a post in the German forum including some Information from his work with and on LazY Puppy at home and at the Realschule Lemgo
Inzwischen haben insgesamt ca. 100 Schülerinnen und Schüler der Jahrgänge 7 bis 10 damit gearbeitet. Keiner hat es geschafft, das System zum Absturz oder zum Aufhängen zu bringen!
RSH translation wrote:Meanwhile, a total of about 100 students from classes 7 to 10 have worked now with LazY Puppy. No one has managed to get the system crashing or to hanging up!
LazY Puppy is now installed on 20 Computers and he submitted two Main Problems!

1. The single mouse click on Desktop-Icons and Files in Rox
2. The Linux Filesystem Structure ( /mnt/sda1 instead of C )

Ok, I can live with that :lol: (btw. thanks a lot to 01micko, playdayz and all who did help to get the Lucid up to build 004). :)
In den letzten Jahren habe ich mich genau auf 2 Puppys festgelegt: 431de und Lazy. Das war genau die richtige Entscheidung!!!!
RSH translation wrote:At the last years i was "hooked" on to two puppies: 431-de and LazY Puppy - and i was right!!!!
Meanwhile he has connected all 20 Computers to a LAN (Network at School) and has integrated an automated update function. If a Computer is shutting down, it searches on the main pc for new files, copies these files to the local pc and shuts down. At the next morning all Computers will boot up updated always with the newest version - automatically. Just doing a remaster and make one single copy to the main pc!

He did solve this within the last days with some help from vovchik, rcrsn51 who has been already a great help when trying to get network printers to work in LazY Puppy, and some further forum members.

Ok, one more quote:
Ich habe für mich mein Puppy gefunden und nutze es täglich im Unterricht mit Schülern von der 7. bis zur 10. Klasse!
RSH translation wrote:I've found my way to my puppy and I do use it every day at school, teaching students from 7th up to 10th Class!
Yes, me one is using it every day as well. At home, at my drumming room and at my lovely girl friends home.

So, guys, girls, members: we do have a Puppy Linux Derivative here, successfully developed to a stage of usability and functionality that has made it worth to be used at a German Government School and as a (possible) replacement for Windows.

LazY Puppy 2.0.2 build 0.0.5

That's our work!

Our great work and shared help and knowledge on this so wonderful to have here forum!

It will hopefully be useful to make Puppy Linux in general a bit more popular... :?:

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

greengeek

#551 Post by greengeek »

Congratulations! Great effort!

Eyes-Only

#552 Post by Eyes-Only »

I fully agree with greengeek: Congratulations are in order for your great success here RSH ( and others who likewise helped ) in this wonderful project in furthering Puppy as you have done.

Congratulations for a job well done! -big applause!-

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

R-S-H

This is a Premium Day ! ! !

#553 Post by R-S-H »

Hello, dear LazY Puppy Users!

Who ever, where ever and how many ever you are...

Today we have a premiere, the premiere of the first use ever of the LazY Puppy Easy Online Updater (Automated-Update)!

I have uploaded the first update package for LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005 which includes fixes and modifications on the Remaster Suite, Menu Suite, LazY ECo and: the Easy Online Updater - plus a new feature: the Favorites Manager (managing entries in menu Favorites).

So, if you don't have set the Easy Online Updater for automatic search, go to the LazY Puppy Menu and check for it - it will be worth it.

You will get online information to the Update Package and also a screenshot of the new Favorites Manager - just select the PET and click on the buttons for Info or Image.

RSH

---

@ eyes-only & greengeek
Thanks for your nice words, it's much appreciated over here. :)

@ vicmz
Sorry for the delay, but I'm currently working very hard, so all possible actions on future translations of LazY Puppy has to delay...

But just to say: at a first step i wouldn't need a translation of standard puppy applications - first step should be to translate the specialized LazY Puppy Applications like Remaster Suite, Menu Suite, so, everything that is NOT in a usual Puppy - which is a lot (you did already some like LazY FReD).

ASRI éducation

#554 Post by ASRI éducation »

The update "Easy Online Updater" is appreciated by users.
cf. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84903
Thank you RSH !

Gnuxo

#555 Post by Gnuxo »

I stumbled onto this.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83675

I was wondering what you all think.

...Anyway about the easy updater. When the new Lazy Puppy 3 is finished, will the easy updater be able to update to it?

R-S-H

#556 Post by R-S-H »

Yes, me too. I've been working on this for weeks and did made my first post over there on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 06:42.
I was wondering what you all think.
After working on this I stepped into some strange issues I couldn't explain to my self. I was a bit helpless and ready to give up.

But, by now, thanks to the long support from mavrothal, this seems to be solved. I'm currently running LazY Puppy 3.0.0 with adrv and ddrv option added. I've loaded sfs files up to pup_ro35 and everything is working fine.

When pupblishing LazY Puppy 3 it will have several "adrv" options - currently there are defined the following options (planning status, could change though):

DISTRO_ADRVSFS='LP2_Applications.sfs'
DISTRO_DDRVSFS='LP2_Data.sfs'
DISTRO_FDRVSFS='LP2_Fonts.sfs'
DISTRO_GDRVSFS='LP2_Guides.sfs'
DISTRO_LDRVSFS='LP2_Language.sfs'
DISTRO_MDRVSFS='LP2_Music.sfs'
DISTRO_RDRVSFS='LP2_RunScripts.sfs'
DISTRO_WDRVSFS='LP2_WindowManagers.sfs'
DISTRO_XDRVSFS='LP2_Xtra.sfs'

DISTRO_ADRVSFS and DISTRO_DDRVSF currently working and running - the rest is just TODO!

DISTRO_ZDRVSFS will stay as the LazY Puppy Extension SFS which is currently named: RSHsLP3_Extension.sfs.
...Anyway about the easy updater. When the new Lazy Puppy 3 is finished, will the easy updater be able to update to it?
You mean if it could update 2.0.2-005 to 3.0.0? No!

The Easy Online Updater will only provide updates and fixes of installed applications for the latest available LazY Puppy. It could not update changes made in initrd.gz - and there are a lot by now. Beside the "adrv" options LazY Puppy 3 can boot directly into a specific user mode (from boot menu entry in menu.lst) and can also load the new Personal Data SFS which is also a very special new addition to LazY Puppy. I did "invent" this but mavrothal did inform me that there is something similar or equal used in Tiny Core (what I didn't know at this time).

This all can surely not be done via updating LazY Puppy using the Easy Online Updater. Maybe a real professional programmer could do such things - or better saying surely can do this. But currently not me, sorry.

More Information on all of this later.

RSH

Gnuxo

#557 Post by Gnuxo »

Oh...

What version of puppy will 3.0 be based on?

I found that my graphics card will only work with ati catalyst 10.10 and kernel 3.7 and AMD no longer support it.

:cry:

Do you have any ways that I can continue to get the best out of my system?

Lazypuppy is currently my puppy of choice, and I run a 64 bit system. :)
It works better then most big 64 bit non-pae Operating systems.
...And that's Lazy Puppy 2.0. :wink:

R-S-H

#558 Post by R-S-H »

Oh...

What version of puppy will 3.0 be based on?
It will be still based on Lucid Puppy 5.2.8-4. Each version of LazY Puppy will be a further step in development, but never based on another distro!

If you want to try a LazY Puppy based on another distro, go try the VSP Puppy - currently only a 3HD based version is available. This has some features of LazY Puppy like the SFS P.L.U.S. but doesn't come really close to LazY Puppy... :lol:
Lazypuppy is currently my puppy of choice, and I run a 64 bit system. Smile
It works better then most big 64 bit non-pae Operating systems.
...And that's Lazy Puppy 2.0. Wink
Oh, really? That's fine! Thank you.
Do you have any ways that I can continue to get the best out of my system?
Will this still be a question if LazY Puppy will be based only on Lucid Puppy 5.2.8-4?

Greetings,

RSH

P.S.

Are you using a save file or don't you?

Gnuxo

#559 Post by Gnuxo »

I guess if it's still based on the same lucid pup, then I don't have much to worry about. :D

Regardless though, it's still one of my favorite OSes.

R-S-H

#560 Post by R-S-H »

Yeah, I don't want to make the whole work done on LazY Puppy again and again on new distros. And if I would have to change it later, I do try to make LazY Puppy features ready for use after installing in another distro.

The 3HD VSP Puppy is a first step - currently installing 8 PETs doing 7 manually steps and ready is the VSP Puppy ! But surely can be refined though.

However: LazY Puppy will be LazY Puppy based on Lucid 5.2.8-004.

But, PLEASE, let me know: are you using a save file or don't you?

RSH