Mozilla & Co. ....

Using applications, configuring, problems
oui

Mozilla & Co. ....

#1 Post by oui »

Hi Nooby
nooby wrote:Thanks Oui, So the Adobe Flash is not built in from scratch?
That is sad. I have changed from Lupu to Slacko due to
one iso already have firefox with adobe in it?

That way I don't need to install it each time.
This being the Gernam channel I will not further derail the thread.
I did report something different:

since more than 5 years I only use the last Mozilla one (of the family seamonkey : I prefer Seamonkey! It offers the same actuality as Firefox since years now after an difficult re-start from Mozilla Suite to Seamonkey Suite - since years, it is the same. But the scope of applications in Seamonkey is uncomparable better: Best HTML editor in the all world, IRC, Address book, all fully integrated in ABOUT THE SAME SIZE as Firefox. So I will be militant for Seamonkey, a full solution, exactly as the legendary old Mozilla Suite did be, not a stripped one :idea: ! And as I manage a great among of land maps, Seamonkey offers without new settings the max. surface for the user on the screen (in Firefox, you have to really change your settings to do the same). The last Mozilla, this means alpha or beta. I change only if dictionaries for at least my 3 main languages are available as Mozilla blocks older dictionaries (a nonsens: what have hunspell dictionaries with the network software to do?)... This means sometimes the alpha or beta, sometime the last stable because of the dictionaries...

no Puppy did offer the stuff continuously until yet.

so is my Mozilla in the most cases outside of my Puppy, outside of each Puppy :lol: !

it is on my hard disk in the same directory as /mnt/home/mozilla :idea:

no, I don't need some *.sfs for that, only a few lines code:

Code: Select all

ln -s /mnt/home/mozilla/seamonkey /root/.mozilla/seamonkey
ln -s /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/lib/seamonkey
(why? /mnt/home/mozilla/seamonkey contains an old initial /root/.mozilla/seamonkey from years ago with it's /mnt/home/mozilla/seamonkey/profiles.ini text file and the subdir /mnt/home/mozilla/seamonkey/al54dkqw.default: this is the data subdir of my own seamonkey application! but it also contains the complete binary subdir /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/seamonkey resulting of the installation from the original last software version at https://download.mozilla.org/?product=s ... ux&lang=de expanded in my subdir /mnt/home/mozilla/seamonkey! and the second link bring it into the right place in the tree of each Puppy: ONE time on the hard disk, in hundred Puppy's or other Linux's active!)

depending of the Puppy (Puppy seamonkey based or Puppy something other based), you need or not that link

ln -s /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/seamonkey
If you will use the preinstallation of an Firefox (Icones etc.) for Seamonkey, you can do

rm /usr/bin/firefox
ln -s /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/firefox
the most actual Seamonkey starts now if you hit on the browser icone :D

as you see, as well some *.PET as some *.SFS are totaly unnecessary :oops: :roll: for that! only

a download from above mozilla web site into /home/home/seamonkey and a hit onto the new file downloaded (beeing to be erased after that as seamonkey proposes now about daily actualizations...)

and

2 rows of really easy code :idea:

and you can use in each Puplet the same version and the same personal data in your browser instead to have to re enter you logins and password and each version.

next advantage: my seamonkey personal data are more than 5 years old. they contain a lot of very important emails, pictures of my family in divers circumstances etc.

for this reason, this subdir is more than 1/2 GByte! it fills up instantannly each usual puppy save file with at least also only 1/2 Gbyte! for what: for a damaged copy of the initial stand :oops: .... and it continuous separately to grow in each puppy? how would I do to concatenate the data after that :x ?
Last edited by oui on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

oui

the initial /mnt/home/mozilla came of course, years ago...

#2 Post by oui »

ok, before you can bind a external subdir into /root/.mozilla, you need to have created a base in /mnt/home/mozilla:

the initial /mnt/home/mozilla came of course, years ago, from an actual old puppy,

you can do it easily now using rox

FIRST STEP (only one time, the first time):

CLOSE the browser :!: (it is very important)

open rox and hit on the icone «see hidden files»,

mark .mozilla

open a 2d instance of rox on /mnt/home

drag an draw .mozilla into /mnt/home , select «move it», it is moving, and rename it after that only «mozilla» (no dot in front any more! to see it permanently :wink: !)

2d STEP (for each Puppy):

mark it again in /mnt/home and do the same in the opposite direction :wink: BUT SELECT not move it but link it or, more easy, old the key CRTL+ALT pressed as you drag and draw and let fall into the /root directory.

ATTENTION: you have to rename bak!!! the dot in front is needed again in the link name!

or do it in code as mentioned in my first above message...

SPECIAL CASE OF ArchPup

ArchPup give you a sensational supplementary figure:

to have a Mozilla with highly discretion and comfort at the same time!

how to do that:

you restart you Mozilla without the hidden directory /root/.mozilla

(rename above link do the same :idea: )

and restart it: mozilla create automatic a new and empty /root/.mozilla hidden subdir

feed it now with all you find does not need absolutely full discretion: password from Puppy forum etc.

enter bookmarks you wish (or import a bookmark file)

open one time the web page you are usual opening showing back in the url's field etc.

and now repeat the operation described above under STEP 1 under an other name:

your external /mnt/home/mozilla-b subdir contains now your minimal comfort start equipment!

and now, THE KICK:

the /root directory contains a genial .start file!

enter this code in it after a new start of archpup without save file for ex. in version 12.12 (ArchPup did not recognize /mnt/home himself and need a friendly backslapping :lol: ! the partition number is of course to adapt!):

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig lo up &
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/home
cp -a /mnt/home/mozilla/* /root/.mozilla
and remaster ArchPup with above links!

each new start without save file, the system will copy the minimal comfort start equipment into /root BEFORE mozilla itself will create this one (it would create it without this comfort equipment)...

after that, after the mozilla starting you can use your links, bookmarks, login's and passwords as you did enter them! If you reboot or shutdown without to create some save file, the session will be forgotten and nothing more comes in addition! you can enter your account of banking number etc.: they will be forgotten (in such a case, I would immediately restart after ending the bank transaction)...

Last edited by oui on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 23:11, edited 3 times in total.

oui

flash plugin

#3 Post by oui »

INSTALLATION:

flashplugin is only ONE file:

libflashplugin.so

to install it correctly it is enough to copy it into the subdir

/usr/lib/seamonkey/plugins/libflashplugin.so

actually the file is about 20 Mb! after high performance squashing (compressions rate about 1:3) there are about 6 MB more in each Puppy ISO!!!

for this reason it is better don't to pre install it :wink:

you can alternative loge it into

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplugin.so

all usual mozilla's will find it after that there so that you don't need more copy of them or links in your ISO!

(free GNU-Mozilla proceed differently!)

if you use the external installation, you can put your libflashplugin.so into

/mnt/home/mozilla/seamonkey/seamonkey/plugins/libflashplugin.so

for firefox, you can of course do exactly the same, change only the names!

it will certainly work!

DICTIONARIES:

you can proceed analogue with the mozilla dictionaries: create a subdir

/mnt/home/mozilla/seamonkey/seamonkey/dictionaries

and put them in it! you don't need to reinstall them all the time if you are playing to test a lot of Puppy's and puplets as I and a lot of other users do!

FLASH PLUGIN VERSIONS:

the old version with a size of only 9.740 kB continues to work perfectly in youtube etc. it has a great advantage: you will find the temporary files of course in /tmp and can move them easily with Rox as long as the video windows stay open (if it close the system erase them immediately: it is a real temporary file!)

the actual version has just more than 17.000 kB, and probably not more functionality! her goal is probably to protect the clients of Adobe against this kind of undesirable copy :idea:

you also can old both copies in your /root as they are directly accessible there as Rox opens, the one as flashpluginL (little) and the second as flashpluginB (big) and install in

/mnt/home/mozilla/seamonkey/seamonkey/plugins/libflashplugin.so

only a link to /root/flashplugin :!:

before you use (before you start the browser), just rename the right one!

Last edited by oui on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

oui

wine, oo, lo & co.

#4 Post by oui »

the next giant in the puppy save file can be

WINE.

you must accept following reallity:

wine is or become now after years of development

on the kernel of the linux system

a more or less complete clone of the windows system but based on linux (and reactOS, the twin system of it, with common parts of developement, based on a clone of the windows kernel)

THE WINE FILES can need as much as the stuff of a complete Windows partition depending of the stuff you will install in it!

for this reason, it is much better to link /root/.wine with an external /mnt/home/wine dir on /mnt/home !

LO, OO

they are heavy packages making the ISO really big if you remaster including them (and they need, the new versions Java!).

the user data in /root can also be relatively big (also if you use an office in SFS-file!).

this stuff can very easy be linked in the same way, including an eventually installed version (you generally find it in the main dir /opt if not in /usr/lib :idea: !

HINT:

I usually use an old version of OpenOffice from old Puppy including OO from the time of Puppy 2.0 ! complete OO is less than 100 MB :idea: (were to find in /usr/lib for those having yet that ISO!). It is yet often better than the Gnome Office Suite and has exactly the same organization as the future OO and LO: you don't have to get into the habit :wink: !

oui

#5 Post by oui »

the next question is of course:

why a save file?

why forced messages after start, for welcome, at shutdown or reboot time

why not directly in the menu: it is exact the role / the function of a menu :roll:

is the save file, are those little windows a kind of failed development :?:

probably....

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Oh much appreciated you wrote all that for me.
Hope many others can make use of it too.

I have part of that already but with .mozilla on the mnt/home
and I do a relative symlink to it in the root by drag/ropping

I guess it is not easy to combine seamonkey with firefox?

No critcism but I dont like seamonkey at all.

I use flashgot and noscript addons in FF and not sure if them exist
for seamonkey? 3 am now so off to bed

I spent some 5 hours now totally failing to make a sfs out of a
savefile so I really want to know how to keep Swedish and Stockholm time
and other personal settings from one boot to another without save file.

Thanks again for all this info
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

oui

#7 Post by oui »

Hi Nooby

As my English (often only "Googlelian" as Google speaks often English at my place) is not the best, I did illustrate tomorrow what I did explain yesterday evening:

the red arrows concern Seamonkey, the greens one flash player

I have since years ago a software stock on my hard disk in my /mnt/home

in the subdir «so's» I have only 4 libflashplugin.so files and use only the two extreme of them 9.740 kb or 17 Mb (see green arrows big and light)

to install flash player in seamonkey, I only move the one of both into my subdir /mnt/home/seamonkey/seamonkey/plugins :roll:

it is all what is to do to install for seamonkey :idea: !

and for iceape or icecat or firefox, I do exactly the same or use a link.

it works pretty since years...

I never need some flashgot or the original adobe installation any more...

and you find good libflashplayer.so file preinstalled in a lot of puppy but they are to find in such a case in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins :!:

good luck

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

I am bad at reading text. I trust that you use Lazy puppy OS then?
But how do you set the keyboard? Should I guess you use the German
localization using the DE iso so you get the right keyboard from scratch?
I would need to somehow manually change from English to Swedish.

the easiest is to use a puppy that have fast setup like slacko?

Ah much appreciated. I try this out today after eating breakfast
it is 9.17 PM now and just got up locally so my stomch scream for food :).

I can test it out on lupu or slacko or lxpup or some other new puppy distro. Which one is best for seamonkey?

Do you know if such only works on puppies due to them using aufs
or does this tech work on all live linux distros like Knoppix? etc?

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Here is my problem. I already have a .mozilla on my HD
for to use with firefox on Slacko5.4 so creating a mnt/home/mozilla
collide due to seamonkey code would find the mnt/home/.mozilla too?

and make changes to it so destroying my firefox set up?

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

Could I protect my current install of .mozilla by renaming it to .nozilla ?

That way I could test your approach? I maybe should make a back up copy of the .mozilla too somewhere else deep down on the computer?

But my main question is this.

Don't I already have what you describe the only thing different is
that I did not know that one could also do same with flash Dir
so that is something I should do ASAP.

What I really need is to get down from the 22 clicks I need to do now
to set up all my personal settings. So if one could somehow prepare
a bashscipt with all these settings and just call it up?

Or can I make a savefile and then change it to a sfs file
and call that one up at each boot not the zdrive because that one fails
but maybe use sfs-exec or the one Rainer use in Lazy pup?